Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

9. 24 Hour computer Labs for Undergraduates -With Printing facility.
    Students Have been screaming for this -every weekend you stay on to get into your project work, essays or fyp and you get on a role and cannot find anywhere after 5 on a Sunday or after 11 on a weekday.
    There is an Undergraduate lab by the Fish tank near the 24 hour post graduate room that can be used for this very purpose. The reason for this is being closed is that students treated it with disrespect and the security cameras don’t work.
    I will actively work with the university and security to get this back in operation as it is one of the main things students have asked me to do. It would also have color and black and white printing facilities linked to your print account.
    On any of these issues be sure to give me a shout and ask me any questions.

Hello Paddy , how do you plan to go ahead with this ? Will it just be for the Fish tank as the csis has tons of students who need programs not installed there. Will you be petitioning the csis for longer opening hours ?

Also more video campaigns would be good as people can get the information at their leisure, plus gives more experience for students who do related courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

The KBS doesnt have any night time facility, been kicked outta there at 22:45 enough times to know that - haha, hallways in the main building aint exactly the best forum to prepare or reherse presentations, etc. so access to tutorials rooms (or keeping the KBS open) would be ideal - although, I'm aware that thats fairly unlikely! I do wonder though, why engineering students have the facilities kept open for them while others are not catered for!? Alas, as I prepare to hit 'post quick reply' I am aware this post is largely off topic! =P

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Hey Tig,

I plan on sitting down with buildings and estates in terms of usage of the room as I understand security was an issue. If the programs are not are available on these computers it would involve talking to the Reps related to the csis to detail the demand for its usage. As far as I am aware the main issues are security and usage.

The relevant bodies need to be co-ordinated and the options discussed. I would want Computer science reps and MMPPT students and those involved in usage to attend and we can fight our corner and hash out a plan.

I would see this as important to complete before the end of this term. Essentially it is about taliking to the relevant bodies
    • Students
    • Phillip Thornton (Health & Safety)
    • Ger Halinan (Buildings and estates)
    • Donnecha Corrigan (Buildings and estates)
    • Itd - For printing in an undergraduate Room
    • Relevant Security Groups
    • Heads of course to vouch for it importance
    • Correspondence with VP Academic Registrar -Paul Mcutchion to bring this issue to the forefront.
    Can you suggest anything else especially with regard your own course as I only know a few details?

If you want to do anything with the CSIS you would have to get in touch with Annette Mcgelligot, her reasons for not doing it were security and paying a porter to be there. Programs such as final cut, photoshop, max/msp to name a few are needed and most of these are only available in the mac labs which are only in the CSIS building.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Tighearnan wrote: »
    If you want to do anything with the CSIS you would have to get in touch with Annette Mcgelligot, her reasons for not doing it were security and paying a porter to be there. Programs such as final cut, photoshop, max/msp to name a few are needed and most of these are only available in the mac labs which are only in the CSIS building.

This.

Closing CSIS at 9 seems a bit ridiculous to me, given the nature of the the courses that need that building. Not having access to programs is just one aspect of this. We need access to CSIS only servers for many projects, and not being able to put in that extra hour or two is irritating. I think surely a deal should be possible to try and get it pushed back to 10-11pm. Maybe at exam time at first (like the extended library hours that were negotiated).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 selfishfish

This is turning into the VPA thread! Are we still having elections for the positions??? :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This is turning into the VPA thread! Are we still having elections for the positions??? :D

Well since the prospective VPA's are being active on the thread and candidates for other positions aren't posting manifestos as yet, I think it's only fair to quiz the proposed future VPA's to get an idea as to what they hope to achieve so we can make a decent choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Polar Ice wrote: »
    We would like to know the total cost of ULFM so far and the proportions of funding from various sources (i.e. what percentage came from the enablement fund, what percentage came from other sources that created opportunity cost)?
    100% funded by the enablement fund. That is 100% fact. Money has been set aside from that to cover next years working.

You only answered half the question.

The other half was what has been total cost to fund ULFM so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Jester252 wrote: »
    Paddy how will you fund and distribute the videos to get most coverage in UL

Hi Jester -apologies for not posting earlier... must have missed you post -just reviewing what was said today and noticed I missed yours.

To fund current Video's I am using my own wages but only when they are released on facebook. But in terms of the video's that are needed for the year i would hope i have enough research done to get video's done in the summer months (especially before summer exam results)

They were undertaken by a project but the quality of this Students work is one that can benefit both the union, students and myself. I would have no problem paying the student with my wages. Hopefully with new budgets I can free up money as I have been very thrifty this year in terms of spending this year but I like the idea of using a students talent and them earning a wage.

Hope that suffices

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Tighearnan wrote: »
    Elections and regulations, part 16 of the constitution says " 16. Reopen nominations (RON) shall be a candidate in all union elections. "

right let's team up and make sure it goes on the ballot this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Why has the Students' Union website not updated to reflect the candidates running for election?

boards.ie has a listing of candidates,
    ulsuelect.com has a listing of candidates (with links to their online campaign materials)
    ulsu.ie doesn't?
    anfocal.ie doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AlwaysRight

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    right let's team up and make sure it goes on the ballot this year

As far as I am aware this is in the new constitution which was not even drafted last year - no rules were really there for online voting in previous years.

I would expect these rules to be in play for this year, so I would think we will be seeing a RON option.

But chase it up anyway, no harm in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

leaoj wrote: »
    Take your business degrees elsewhere as far as I'm concerned. Sure what use would anyone with a business degree be to the students union, they've spent the last four years propping up the bars in the stables and the lodge.

I'm not a Business student but you'd be well advised to tread carefully as regards making outrageous and unfounded slurs on the B.B.S degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Haha why? Last time I checked parchments can't make libel claims.

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    Haha why? Last time I checked parchments can't make libel claims.

This made me laugh my ass off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Why has the Students' Union website not updated to reflect the candidates running for election?

boards.ie has a listing of candidates,
    ulsuelect.com has a listing of candidates (with links to their online campaign materials)
    ulsu.ie doesn't?
    anfocal.ie doesn't?

I'd say it has a lot to do with the weekend that's in it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Does anyone have details of time and venue for hustings (which I assume are on Wednesday night)?

Checked the obvious sources (su website, facebook page, skimmed tomorrow's An Focal (missing 'h' typo in subheading on page 30 btw, the UUP will not be happy)) but nothing there as far as I can see. KBS venue, as has become semi-standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

sceptre wrote: »
    Does anyone have details of time and venue for hustings (which I assume are on Wednesday night)?

Checked the obvious sources (su website, facebook page, skimmed tomorrow's An Focal (missing 'h' typo in subheading on page 30 btw, the UUP will not be happy)) but nothing there as far as I can see. KBS venue, as has become semi-standard?

6pm in KBG12

http://www.anfocal.ie/news/2448/election-week-2012-gets-underway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

We're interviewing each of the candidates for a short video today. If you want anything in particular asked (general questions on particular positions) post em here before one :)

Stephen
    Thomond Student Times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Steeevvyb wrote: »
    We're interviewing each of the candidates for a short video today. If you want anything in particular asked (general questions on particular positions) post em here before one :)

Stephen
    Thomond Student Times

To all:
    How will each candidate finance there manifesto points with the general manager stating the union will not finance manifesto points for incoming sabbats due to the financial state of the union?

How would you attract students into general meetings? What have you done so far to inform students about the rescheduled general meeting?

Why did you choose to run for election? Why that position and not another position?

How much should sabbat pay be? And why?

Can you draw/describe the silly hat you would like to wear?

Education:
    With red raisins (b1 canteen) open 24/7 and most students having laptops, why would another room need to be sourced? What academic reason would an undergrad student need printing at 3 in the morning? (Last part is paddy specific)

• Advertisement

Steeevvyb wrote: »

Stephen
    Thomond Student Times

For kelly and jackie. How do you plan on affording the phone services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 OccupyULSU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

OccupyULSU wrote: »

Now here is a troll everyone can enjoy, I applaud you humorous troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

cson wrote: »
    I'm not a Business student but you'd be well advised to tread carefully as regards making outrageous and unfounded slurs on the B.B.S degree.

LOL. Some people. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Belly OS

Excellent stuff. I look forward to reading the rest of ye're stuff during week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Brilliant. Satire at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm crying laughing here!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

That's kind of amazing. Well done.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned already, but all the candidates will be on ULFM from now until 4pm. Adam Moursey talking about his aims atm.

www.ulfm.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

That's not trolling, that's good satire!

Advertisement