Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

reunion wrote: »
    So the response is you will not be doing duties which you were required to sign prior to running? (at least its what I heard from roisin at a c+s council meeting).

So what is 100 legitimate? When accounts are ratified by a quorum meeting? Or when an established and qualified accountant completes an audit?

Why run if you knew this would be an issue and that you wouldn't be fulfilling the basic requirements of the role?

I am confident after the audit and a personal chat with Pat Carroll (Auditor) That this is the case. when the accounts are viewed by a quorate meeting of students and they are happy for me its like a new starting block. I am comfortable in the knowledge that this will be the outcome.

In the broadest sense if its open visible and up to date which we are at now - and agreed by general meeting then I am very comfortable to do so. I have had assurances that this will be agreed upon. so i have no difficulty. none whatsoever.

A very justified question by the way. Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

Jester252 wrote: »
    Just to let people know that I won't be in college for the rest of the week

Feel free to add me on facebook if you want to get a hold of me if you have any questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Jester252 wrote: »
    No I didn't see you or the other when I was up there around 12:30 When I asked about info about and your campaign I was told by a guy who didn't look up to come back at 2

could you describe him please. Pm if you like. Thats surely not a way my team act and apologies if they caused offence but I know my guys they all new I was in a meeting at two with Thomond student times... Which i find odd

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Hey Guys,

Thanks for some of the support I've been getting on here over the past few days - its very much appreciated.

If any of you have any questions for the Presidential Candidates, the Candidates as a whole or just specifically me, please do not hesitate to ask them here and I'll try to answer them as soon as I can.

Hopefully I'll get talking to most of you over the next day or two, if you see me, make sure to grab me and ask a few questions.

Thanks again

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

leaoj wrote: »
    @william jennings - 1.6 million people in ireland???!! :/

"With 1.6 million people in Ireland and I'd say 95% of the population of UL being on facebook [the welfare office should have a facebook account for students to link in with so that those who find it easier to approach them via that medium have that option]"

Ha, sorry - wasnt bothered transribing the actual point - but thats the jist of it. He was making a fairly valid point, ents and stuff use it to push messages, but Welfare could just as easy open an account to receive student concerns, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RDJMPC

@ Paddy
    Great campaign so far and very best of luck. One thing sticks out in my head, you say you don't want the position to be one who sits at a desk all day, but that's exactly what you will be doing should you be elected as Academic Sabbat? Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 imjustcheese

Based on TST videos...

President: Moursy

Hartery spoke well but wholly unprofessional in his dismissal of DD. Hardly "a burst of passion" as one poster said. Also, the Bieber flick 2:57 put the final nail in the coffin for me. Came across as more petulant and immature to me. Moursy was very confident, spoke well and had some valid points. Wasn't looking to reinvent the wheel.

Welfare: Ronan

Watched 30 seconds into the other two videos...was not impressed. Question my methodology if you like but if a candidate cannot hold my attention for more than 30 seconds, I most certainly do not want to be looking at or listening to them for a year. In saying this, Ronan doesn't strike me as a fantastic candidate but better than the other two.

EDIT: Actually made it the whole way through Jennings video... seems genuine with some simple ideas. Also, must distinguish between ERASMUS and International Students!

Academic: Rockett by a country mile!

Also only managed 30 seconds of Woods' video - seemed completely lost in my opinion. Not sure if this was because she was being directly compared to Paddy straight after his confident and relaxed performance in the video. Rockett is on par with the Nazis for his talent for propaganda so Ms Woods may as well pack her bags once the troops are mobilised singing "What's that coming over the hill..."

And yes, I did read all manifestos :)

P.S. I am not campaigning for any candidates (for the first time in my 4 years mind!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

leaoj, getting a bit hot under the collar there

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

24 undergraduate study room.
    - there's nowhere to put it
    - if you possibly could get one (which you won't) it wouldn't be able to house 30 percent of the undergraduates that would study in it. Bottom line jackie - 24 hour study access already exist in the state of departmental labs, the red raisin, and the post graduate study room (which is used primarily by undergrads anyway - dip in there any time from week 10 onwards.

Well to be honest; not all students are catered or with these options, as someone else already posted they need the software that is only available in ERB, and as a marketing student we need presentation equipment (and a private room - presentation content, as you can appreciate, is conidential). Why they lock empty Tut rooms is beyond me - fair enough in the Kemmy and ERB, but in the Main building with security already manning the only door in and out?

Plus, this postgrad room has not been advertised strongly enough - I dont even know where it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

I'm pretty surprised the issue of fee's hasn't been a bigger one in this campaign. I have a lecturer in the economics department, Rita Buckley, who was telling us she's part of a task force on it and that it's more than likely coming through in the form of a 0% loan. Some candidates have alluded to referendums and the likes and thats fine but it's a bigger issue than that. We're going to need clear leadership in the area and mature engagement with Government to make sure our interests are protected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Well to be honest; not all students are catered or with these options, as someone else already posted they need the software that is only available in ERB, and as a marketing student we need presentation equipment (and a private room - presentation content, as you can appreciate, is conidential). Why they lock empty Tut rooms is beyond me - fair enough in the Kemmy and ERB, but in the Main building with security already manning the only door in and out?

Plus, this postgrad room has not been advertised strongly enough - I dont even know where it is!

Plus, it's a POSTGRAD room, so whether or not undergrads use it at present is irrelevant. Leaving Cert student's use the Library, does that make it an LC Library as well?

I also don't get why they couldn't even let one or two tut rooms open. Install CCTV if it's not already there and have the security that are already on duty monitor the cameras. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Steeevvyb wrote: »
    I'm pretty surprised the issue of fee's hasn't been a bigger one in this campaign. I have a lecturer in the economics department, Rita Buckley, who was telling us she's part of a task force on it and that it's more than likely coming through in the form of a 0% loan. Some candidates have alluded to referendums and the likes and thats fine but it's a bigger issue than that. We're going to need clear leadership in the area and mature engagement with Government to make sure our interests are protected.

Hi Stephen

I don't think we should underestimate the real threat of fee's being introduced. However, in UL the whole issues seems to have been forgotten. This is where my idea of a referendum comes in. It will bring the entire issue to the forefront of the Union and it gives us an opportunity to offer students an impartial and unbiased view on all sides of the fee's argument.

I personally believe that this is going to be a huge issue over the coming year or so and as such, the Union needs to have a mandate from the Students on what course of action they want SU to firmly back as the climate of the current and of our Country's Universities has changed drastically in the past few years. A few bus loads to Dublin once a year is not sufficient. This needs to be a year round thing with people being informed on all the options and being able to have an education opinion on the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Have to say I'm quietly surprised at Adam Moursey

Thought his running was half troll tbh but he seems to be making some very good points

Not sure if I would vote for him yet but fair play nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Why they lock empty Tut rooms is beyond me - fair enough in the Kemmy and ERB, but in the Main building with security already manning the only door in and out?

For the same reason that if a C&S want to book a room they have to book through Liz (CSLO), someone is held accountable if the room is not ready to be used for lectures/tutorials the next morning.

What happens when a lecturer comes in first thing in the morning and the projector or desk is missing (maybe it was stolen, maybe it was moved to another room)? Black/whiteboards aren't cleaned? Equipment isn't working?

The porters open the rooms every morning and do a quick scan to ensure they are presentable and ready to be used for the day, would you have them come in an hour early to clear up the mess in each from the night before?

Having seen the state of the SU Common Room at times, I can understand why the powers that be aren't inclined to give students free reign of the building after hours.
    the only door in and out?
    There are plenty ways out of the building after hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

The TST interviews clearly shows bias!

8 minute long interview with Rockett but 3 minutes with Jackie?

Also either some questions were edited out or were not asked!

What about Eamonn Horgan? How come no interview with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Candidates weren't given a time limit on their videos

All candidates were asked to be part of videos, it was up to them to take us up on the offer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It may have just been the case that Paddy was more inclined to talk. Jackie clearly comes across nervous and shy, so it only stands to reason that her answers were more brief. What were they meant to do? Have fine minutes of video of her just sitting there so the times were equal?

And it clearly states at the top of the aritcle:
    Thomond Student Times has interviewed all bar one of the candidates for this years elections. Eamonn Horgan, candidate for president, was unable to interview due to illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Candidates weren't given a time limit on their videos

All candidates were asked to be part of videos, it was up to them to take us up on the offer

Paddy has 9 manifesto points while Jackie has 6. Jackie got asked about her manifesto points while Paddy wasn’t asked about his. Also neither candidate was asked about the financial state of the union and how they would achieve their manifesto points with little to zero budget for manifesto points once they enter office.

Paddy and Jackie have 2 similar manifesto points but only Jackie was asked about them.

Paddy was asked some questions Jackie wasn't! How do you expect Jackie to fill up 8 minutes when Paddy was asked more questions? Every question Paddy was asked, Jackie could have been asked (the one about conflict with kelly would have to be changed or not asked). The same could be said in reverse too, Paddy could have been asked the questions Jackie was asked!

The questions are below for VP Academic. If TST could release the questions asked that would be more helpful than me listening for the questions and transcribing them.

(note not campaigning for anyone nor do I side with anyone currently running)

Vp Academic
    Paddy
    Introduce yourself and why you are running
    Class rep council failed to reach quorum, how would you fix this?
    New departmental rep system, how would you publicise it and make sure people understood it?
    This year, union has been brought into disrepute, why should you be revoted in?
    Coop office received a number of complaints, would you take a stance to take the university to task on the issues student have raised? And what promises can you make?
    You and Kelly have had some arguments in the past year, if you were elected again could you bury the hatchet?
    Anything you would like to add?

Jackie
    What is the coop hotline? Why is it important? How would you do it?
    Why would a fresh face be good in the union this year?
    You talk about an undergraduate study room, why is this important and why would you create it?
    (was edited out but I’m guessing this was the question) Anything you would like to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Did you miss the part where he was asked about his central idea, ie the University forum? :confused:

Paddy has 9 manifesto points while Jackie has 6. Jackie got asked about her manifesto points while Paddy wasn’t asked about his. Also neither candidate was asked about the financial state of the union and how they would achieve their manifesto points with little to zero budget for manifesto points once they enter office.

Paddy and Jackie have 2 similar manifesto points but only Jackie was asked about them.

Paddy was asked some questions Jackie wasn't! How do you expect Jackie to fill up 8 minutes when Paddy was asked more questions? Every question Paddy was asked, Jackie could have been asked (the one about conflict with kelly would have to be changed or not asked). The same could be said in reverse too, Paddy could have been asked the questions Jackie was asked!

The questions are below for VP Academic. If TST could release the questions asked that would be more helpful than me listening for the questions and transcribing them.

(note not campaigning for anyone nor do I side with anyone currently running)

Vp Academic
    Paddy
    New departmental rep system, how would you publicise it and make sure people understood it?
    This year, union has been brought into disrepute, why should you be revoted in?
    Coop office received a number of complaints, would you take a stance to take the university to task on the issues student have raised? And what promises can you make?
    You and Kelly have had some arguments in the past year, if you were elected again could you bury the hatchet?
    Anything you would like to add?

Jackie
    What is the coop hotline? Why is it important? How would you do it?
    Why would a fresh face be good in the union this year?
    You talk about an undergraduate study room, why is this important and why would you create it?
    (was edited out but I’m guessing this was the question) Anything you would like to add?

Well they could hardly ask the two highlighted q's to Jackie now could they? And they're pretty important questions that both Paddy and Kelly have to answer if we're to have any confidence in possibly re-electing them.

Jackie was asked about why a fresh face might be a better option, seems pretty reasonable question seeing as people are always complaining that the SU is a clique.

Jackie was asked about the hotline which is part of her manifesto, relates to co-op. Paddy was asked about the co-op office.

They were both asked about CRC.

Only thing I see ommited would possibly be a question for Jackie on the nurses pay aspect of her manifesto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alithewinnerg

Eamonn Horgan was unavailable to interview yesterday due to illness thats why he did not participate in an interview. With regards to Paddy's interview being longer than Jackie's, Paddy had more to say. All candidates were given a time limit of ten minutes and irrelevant questions or comments were edited out. I personally edited these interviews and anything Jackie had to say that was relevant was included in the video.

Ali Griffiths - Thomond Student Times Media Editor

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

Just to add to what Ali had to say. Jackie Woods, while very friendly, was extraordinarily nervous while we interviewed her. Other questions regarding the Coop office were asked but due to apparent nerves weren't answered. I also asked "Why have you never gotten involved in the union before". I also asked about the class reps council quorum and we couldn't add the answer to the video.

I had questions prepared enough for a long video but unfortunately if we don't get the material we cannot create a long video.

We're delighted with the feedback. If you have any further questions or issues with the
    interviews just give us a shout or email us (info@thomondstudenttimes.com).

Stephen (interviewer)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

When I asked Kelly O'Brien a valid question today she stormed away from me in a huff.

I was gonna stay outta things this year but... From here on in I am campaigning for Cathal Ronan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

Hey sarah,

Are we to assume you and Kelly have had priors?
    Like ye disliked each other before this week started?

Or is it a case you've never met her before, you don't know her, and she is behaving like to this to you for no reason?

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    When I asked Kelly O'Brien a valid question today she stormed away from me in a huff.

I was gonna stay outta things this year but... From here on in I am campaigning for Cathal Ronan.

Ask it at Hustings so she's no escape?

Are we to assume you and Kelly have had priors?
    Like ye disliked each other before this week started?

Or is it a case you've never met her before, you don't know her, and she is behaving like to this to you for no reason?

Unless she had a dislike for me I had no problems with her as a person, I'm just not impressed with her at all professionally.
    I know her and she knows me and there's no excuse for her behaviour.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ask it at Hustings so she's no escape?

Questions can not be asked to specific candidates.

I simply asked her why she was handing out An Focals in Red Raisins. I've never seen her do it before so is it not a bit strange she starts campaign week?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Unless she had a dislike for me I had no problems with her as a person, I'm just not impressed with her at all professionally.
    I know her and she knows me and there's no excuse for her behaviour.

Questions can not be asked to specific candidates.

I simply asked her why she was handing out An Focals in Red Raisins. I've never seen her do it before so is it not a bit strange she starts campaign week?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seems a pretty inocuous question....:confused:

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Seems a pretty inocuous question....:confused:

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pickle Wickle

Harterys stand unattended for over an hour, called into talk about his policies. Very disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

And jackies crowd are sitting around looking bored

Advertisement