Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

Thought Moursy came across very well on the radio earlier. Really showed up dave hartery, moursy had much better policies and awareness of what is required in the SU. His manifesto is very impressive also.

Didn't see much activity from the other two presidential candidates today.

David Hartery doesn't seem to have much of a team in force? Very obvious why he's on the ticket with Kelly.

Eamonn Horgan seems to be flogging a dead horse who is locked in the starting blocks. Little or no effort made by him so far.

Welfare is still an open book in my eyes; close to call between ronan and o brien. hard to believe only 250 euro was spent on some of those campaigns, kelly's in particular.

Question for Jackie Woods:
    Hi Jackie.

1.Can you detail your reasons for only deciding to run for office two hours before nominations closed?

Pretty much all other candidates had declared their interest in running in the preceding two weeks; you seem to have decided on the spur of a whim to run. 2. May I ask why? Did you find out you didn't get accepted to your masters programme? Training contract with Deloitte fell through?

It seems to have been a very spontaneous idea to run; this is manifesting itself in your campaign and campaign policies both of which have so far been very unimpressive. I saw a few flyers with your picture on them but very little else. 3.Can you confirm that your entire manifesto is those six points you posted here yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

leaoj wrote: »
    Thought Moursy came across very well on the radio earlier. Really showed up dave hartery, moursy had much better policies and awareness of what is required in the SU. His manifesto is very impressive also.

While I agree Moursy came across better, I think it was more to do with his personality: He was eager to talk, while Hartery was more willing to sit back. Even when Moursy was blind sided by one question in particular.

Cathal Ronan sounds like he could be a front runner. Again, another blind sided question which sounded like a plant didn't faze him, probably aided him more than anything.

Kelly didn't seem to know her manifesto points and avoided answering the first question 'what is your manifesto?' I thought it was a blatant avoidance of the question because she couldn't remember what she had on her manifesto.

Paddy came across excellent, but I'd be concerned about how he says he doesn't want to work behind a desk.

William was good, had done his homework, but he was more subdued than Cathal.

Some candidates really stood out from the pack today, and I'd be curious as to why two candidates didn't show!

Oh, i'll be rooting for Moursey. I reckon Cathal and Paddy could be the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Why are there stalls set up only in the red raisins. Would it not make as much sense to have a second stall down in the courtyard or library?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Skyrim wrote: »
    Why are there stalls set up only in the red raisins. Would it not make as much sense to have a second stall down in the courtyard or library?

apparently paddy has a stall in the Health Sciences too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

courtyard gets busy enuf without every campaign team clogging it up and annoying people who dont want to be bothered, ditto the library. Red raisins everyone knows is there and its not as central to everyones daily life as the other too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/index.php/elections/171-interviews-with-candidates

Thomond Student Times interviews with candidates are up

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Fair play to the TST lads. Some great insights on there.

VP Academic
    Paddy is really running a blinder of a campaign. I dunno, Jackie just comes across as lacking conviction in her campaign. I might be completely wrong, but that's just the way it comes across from the video and the manifesto.
    Really liking some of Paddy's ideas, and if he can implement them then I think he has the potential to do a great job.

VP Welfare
    This is going to be close. Think all three candidates have pretty decent manifestos and ideas. Think either way we'll get a good officer here.
    (Obviously I've said I'm supporting KOB already)

President
    Judging by just the interviews on TST, Moursy seems like he might be the best here. But still hard to make a decision. Shame Horgan wasn't available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lula12

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Fair play to the TST lads. Some great insights on there.

VP Academic
    Paddy is really running a blinder of a campaign. I dunno, Jackie just comes across as lacking conviction in her campaign. I might be completely wrong, but that's just the way it comes across from the video and the manifesto.

I completely agree with ya there buddy! Jackie seems like she doesn't even know what she's doing it for. She even said that the same people have been in the Union the last 2 years. Talk about doing your research, sure Tara was never involved in the Union and Kenny only became active when she was in 4th year because she was elected as class/faculty rep. Has she even spoken to the current Ed Officer to get any information about the office! The nurses pay cut was finalised in November, something Kenny went up and down to Dublin and the regional hospital campaigning for so I dont know what she's talking about there. At least Paddy knows whats going on in the Union at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I was blanked by a welfare candidate I said hello to walking into the SU this evening

Things must be great if you don't need everyone's vote!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Lets just say it wasn't a male candidate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

Had the pleasure of observing three of our fine candidates today from afar. In between their bouts of barefaced falseness and sweety waving nonsense came small glimpses of the real person. Maybe a year when a more genuine person will do well come vote time.Kelly, David and paddy in the red raisen were the masked ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bubbalicious

President:
    There are 3 strong candidates, my vote was swinging towards Adam Moursy at the beginning as he seems to have a strong campaign, but upon speaking to Eamonn I really warmed to him, he seems likeable and approachable....good qualities in a president surely!! Don't know about David Hartery...seems very aloof and uninterested...I could be wrong though...

VP Academic:
    I see Jackie is getting a lot of stick up here!Don't know why..she seemed really friendly with a good manifesto...granted her campaign needs to come up another level..but there is still 2 days left! Paddy Rockett.....I just don't know...yet to be convinced...seems fake....and I don't think he will follow through on his promises...especially since he has only a year to achieve this...Jackie's manifesto is more realistic..

DP Welfare
    Again 3 strong candidates. Kelly has the SU experience but seems to be lacking something. Will has good policies, definitely fresh ideas not addressed before...seems like a really genuine guy. Cathal Ronan also seems like a good candidate.....this is gonna be a tough one!

Think the next 2 days will count for a lot!Good Luck to everyone.:D

Jesus lads your one jackie doesn't have a clue!

''i've been on co op so I know the issues, all it will take is to install a phoneline and people on the other end will be ringing''

Most ridiculous idea ever.

24 undergraduate study room.
    - there's nowhere to put it
    - if you possibly could get one (which you won't) it wouldn't be able to house 30 percent of the undergraduates that would study in it. Bottom line jackie - 24 hour study access already exist in the state of departmental labs, the red raisin, and the post graduate study room (which is used primarily by undergrads anyway - dip in there any time from week 10 onwards.

FFS I feel kinda bad for her more than anything.

President:
    There are 3 strong candidates, my vote was swinging towards Adam Moursy at the beginning as he seems to have a strong campaign, but upon speaking to Eamonn I really warmed to him, he seems likeable and approachable....good qualities in a president surely!! Don't know about David Hartery...seems very aloof and uninterested...I could be wrong though...

VP Academic:
    I see Jackie is getting a lot of stick up here!Don't know why..she seemed really friendly with a good manifesto...granted her campaign needs to come up another level..but there is still 2 days left! Paddy Rockett.....I just don't know...yet to be convinced...seems fake....and I don't think he will follow through on his promises...especially since he has only a year to achieve this...Jackie's manifesto is more realistic..

DP Welfare
    Again 3 strong candidates. Kelly has the SU experience but seems to be lacking something. Will has good policies, definitely fresh ideas not addressed before...seems like a really genuine guy. Cathal Ronan also seems like a good candidate.....this is gonna be a tough one!

Think the next 2 days will count for a lot!Good Luck to everyone.:D

Hi Jackie. Having multiple accounts is against the rules :D

Listen I've already ripped your/her manifesto to **** , your video is embarrassing at best and downright pathetic at worst. Why bother entering the race if you're not even going to try? I was hoping for someone to stuck it up to rockett but these candidates don't have a clue about the positions they are even auditioning for.

@william jennings - 1.6 million people in ireland???!! :/

Jesus lads your one jackie doesn't have a clue!

''i've been on co op so I know the issues, all it will take is to install a phoneline and people on the other end will be ringing''

Most ridiculous idea ever.

24 undergraduate study room.
    - there's nowhere to put it
    - if you possibly could get one (which you won't) it wouldn't be able to house 30 percent of the undergraduates that would study in it. Bottom line jackie - 24 hour study access already exist in the state of departmental labs, the red raisin, and the post graduate study room (which is used primarily by undergrads anyway - dip in there any time from week 10 onwards.

FFS I feel kinda bad for her more than anything.

Not for every department. I dont have access to one (I'm EPS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Hartery seemed very unprofessional when he dismissed Derek Daly in the video, maybe it was more spontaneous than anything?

Not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bubbalicious

Hi Jackie. Having multiple accounts is against the rules :D

Listen I've already ripped your/her manifesto to **** , your video is embarrassing at best and downright pathetic at worst. Why bother entering the race if you're not even going to try? I was hoping for someone to stuck it up to rockett but these candidates don't have a clue about the positions they are even auditioning for.

Jeez dude you need to chill!!:confused:I'm not Jackie, I'm just stating my opinions as see them....!!Just relax...I can see your blood pressure going through the roof from here! ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

@william jennings - 1.6 million people in ireland???!! :/

1.6 mill on Facebook my friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Kelly seemed to be the only one with a campaign at all. David had a small team in RR and were a least trying. I had to fight with Cathals guy to get past the free sweets and get some info and with that was a small card. Rocketts team had a group there but no info at all and to talk to them was like trying to pull teeth. The others had nothing at all and I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

Im watching an episode of black mirror (awesome show where glimpses of a possible future are played out. Channel 4 when it does something right ) where the prime minister of england has to have sex with a pig to save a princess. Im now thinking would any of the presidential candidates do the same to save a student, possible question for the hustings. Just a thought :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Paddy as you refused to be a guarantor on services loans (half of the campaigns and services job), will you be a guarantor on the su/services loans if elected (as this is role of all sabbats)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

lkionm wrote: »
    Hartery seemed very unprofessional when he dismissed Derek Daly in the video, maybe it was more spontaneous than anything?

Not good.

Meh, bit of passion never goes astray

Bout time Daly gets called on his pontificating too if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

Jester252 wrote: »
    Kelly seemed to be the only one with a campaign at all. David had a small team in RR and were a least trying. I had to fight with Cathals guy to get past the free sweets and get some info and with that was a small card. Rocketts team had a group there but no info at all and to talk to them was like trying to pull teeth. The others had nothing at all and I looked.

Hi Jester,

First and foremost I would like to apologise about that. This is my first campaign and my team is rather small so as you can imagine inexperience can be a bit of an issue. In regards to the small orange card you received I had manifestos littered around my area, that should have been issued to people just darting through. If you want to call up tomorrow to have a chat I'd be more than happy to oblige. Sorry about that again, first day you know kinda just finding our feet.

Cheers.

Cathal

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

reunion wrote: »
    Paddy as you refused to be a guarantor on services loans (half of the campaigns and services job), will you be a guarantor on the su/services loans if elected (as this is role of all sabbats)?

I will when accounts are clear, concise and agreed upon by the student body as legitimate-. I will require for both myself and the student body a verified breakdown of the loan system published and agreed apon at general meeting.

Only a very silly man signs his name to something that is(and was at the time)clouded with doubt and mis-education.

I like to think that the accounts are getting there with the accountant working so hard at getting them precise and up to date. I will have no problem with the above but it has to be 100% legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Hmmm we had manifesto's there and my group have been answering questions all day we ran short of manifesto's for 10 minutes approx and our backboards do have many of the election points on them. Pulling teeth? This is something I'll have to rectify as I am aware they are very bubbly interactive people. Did you get a chance to talk to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I will when accounts are clear, concise and agreed upon by the student body as legitimate-. I will require for both myself and the student body a verified breakdown of the loan system published and agreed apon at general meeting.

Only a very silly man signs his name to something that is(and was at the time)clouded with doubt and mis-education.

I like to think that the accounts are getting there with the accountant working so hard at getting them precise and up to date. I will have no problem with the above but it has to be 100% legitimate.

So the response is you will not be doing duties which you were required to sign prior to running? (at least its what I heard from roisin at a c+s council meeting).

So what is 100% legitimate? When accounts are ratified by a quorum meeting? Or when an established and qualified accountant completes an audit?

Why run if you knew this would be an issue and that you wouldn't be fulfilling the basic requirements of the role?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Nokia08

Hi Jester252,

Not sure if we got to have a chat or not today, But we will be back in the red raisins tomorrow if you want to come meet with us and we'll go through the plans for the welfare office with you.

And by the way if you want to find the manifesto just look up my page Will4welfare2012.

All the best,

Will

Hmmm we had manifesto's there and my group have been answering questions all day we ran short of manifesto's for 10 minutes approx and our backboards do have many of the election points on them. Pulling teeth? This is something I'll have to rectify as I am aware they are very bubbly interactive people. Did you get a chance to talk to me?
    No I didn't see you or the other when I was up there around 12:30 When I asked about info about and your campaign I was told by a guy who didn't look up to come back at 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

First up, great series of videos by the Thomond Student Times.

Two days to go but for me, so far, it's looking like Hartery, Rockett, Ronan.

Obviously, I will be voting for Cathal as I'll be campaigning for him :P

Paddy has some excellent ideas and, with no disrespect meant to Jackie, has a much better campaign put together.

I'm leaning towards David for President, but it's much tighter between himself and Adam. I'll have to give it the next few days before I'm set on that.

• Advertisement

Just to let people know that I won't be in college for the rest of the week

Advertisement