Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Khannie wrote: »
    I've been learning to brew over the last while. Whatever else happens, I want booze on a Friday night. Yesterday I had the fruits of my labour after 4 weeks of waiting. Savage.
    What did ya make lad??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You may regret asking....:D

Well I started off making apple cider in one of those 5L water containers that you can get for 1.29 in lidl with apple juice (not from concentrate) also from lidl and some yeast (1.50 online). I was just doing that to learn really so I wanted to do it on the cheap.

Turns out it's difficult to make a balls of cider once you keep everything clean. Turnaround for a proper cider is a minimum of 4 weeks and I started 4 weeks ago. I'm seriously impressed with the stuff that I made though. About a quarter of the price of bulmers and much tastier.

Since I started I've made another batch in a different 5L water container with the same apple juice, cinnamon and honey. That should be ready next week and I have high hopes for it. Also now have a large batch of apple and pear stuff on the go from a kit that I bought online. (I'm sounding like a mentaller now, but it continues....) A friend of mine is a chef, so I got some food safe buckets off him. Kicked off a batch of apple and raspberry there mid-week. Just today (on the strength of last nights few scoops) I drilled a hole in the second bucket he gave me and added a tap to it and kicked off another batch of about 18L of apple from that lidl cloudy apple juice.

The medium term plan is to get a heap of cheap or free apples in the autumn and make enough to last me the year or at least a good chunk of it. I bought a 120L container for 25 euro delivered on adverts, bought a book on cider making and plan on making a fruit press (instructions in the book).

Really I've gone a bit home brew crazy, but I'm really shocked at how tasty the stuff is compared to shop bought cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Khannie wrote: »
    apple juice, cinnamon and honey.

That's it, I'm doomed...

Sounds good lad something i might look into, i tend to spend a fair bit on cider during the bbq season!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Khannie I'm so coming to visit!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sounds good lad something i might look into, i tend to spend a fair bit on cider during the bbq season!!

The low cost is definitely a big plus alright. I'm more impressed now with the taste though. The hassle factor is definitely reduced by doing larger batches too. The 5L ones were a fair bit of effort for not that much return, but the learning from them was good. I'd recommend that as a starting point if you're interested in just testing the waters. You can get going for around 7 euro if you're doing it that way.
    Khannie I'm so coming to visit!!

I hope you're armed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    One other thing I want to try is filling it with camp fuel with a high naphtha content, since that's a lot cheaper than zippo fluid, I'll do that after working through the fuel I have, so probably next weekend.
    And I'm happy to report that camp fuel works fine, maybe a little less enthusiastic but at half the cost I'm not complaining. I tried the candle test for a full ten minutes this time, still blazing away merrily, so you'll get ten to fifteen on a full tank. Found out the triplex has a little compartment for spare flints as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

I make my own homebrew as well. My latest batch is a lovely red ale, very tasty.

As regards other preparations I showed my 2 eldest (13, 7) how to make a debris shelter. Great fun as well as being instructional.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Loaded the log store with splits left to season outside for next winter. Have 2 and 3/4 winters of wood left.

Two very small multitools arrived from dx today, so I'll be making double strand adjustable paracord necklaces out of them.

• Advertisement

And I'm happy to report that camp fuel works fine, maybe a little less enthusiastic but at half the cost I'm not complaining. I tried the candle test for a full ten minutes this time, still blazing away merrily, so you'll get ten to fifteen on a full tank. Found out the triplex has a little compartment for spare flints as well.
    And two weeks later the triplex is dry as a bone, I'd guess the last of it went around day ten since it seemed okay on day seven. Big improvement over the zippo though. The peanut is still working fine, checking inside the cotton is completely saturated, I'd say it hasn't lost a drop.

By my very rough calculations that's about eight to ten years of constant firelighting with the triplex from my cheap litre of fuel, taking evaporation into account. Not bad. Better make sure I don't run out of flints or wicks so. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Went on a mad buying spree in the UK recently

CRKT KISS 5500 knife - might write a bit more about it in another thread
    Another knife, small, very cheap maybe a CRKT knock off (blade like a RSK Mk5 but a folder)
    Survival blankets - for car and individual bobs
    Wire saw - for Survival tin
    Snap n Shake Light Sticks x 8 - for car and individual bobs
    Fire steels x3 - for individual bobs
    Sporks x3 - for individual bobs
    Swan Vesta matches (old fashioned strike anywhere matches) - individual bobs
    Wind/Weather proof matches - for survival tin and a bob
    Hexi stoves (x2) and spare fuel - for cooking box and or a bob
    Folding Spade/Pick - for car or a bob
    Stainless Steel Tweasers - for Survival tin
    Various Multi tools - presents
    Cheap compass - for a bob
    Another whistle - for a bob
    Paracord - cheap green stuff but strong enough for what I want
    AA Maglite LED - for individual bob
    Maglite solitare - old bulb style, was cheap, handy for a bob or survival tin
    AAA and AA Alkaline batteries about 120 - all long dates not sure where to alocate them. Should set up an HQ reserve :) was joking but that might be a good idea.
    Camping toaster works on a gas stove - home use in power cut.

I had a longer list but didn't get a chance to get to all the shops I wanted was looking for a larger EDC knife but didn't see anything I really liked (maybe a good thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

Oh dyslexic,
    I would love to be shopping like that. It must have been great fun. Only problem is you need to buy a big quad and trailer to carry your store. If chicken licken ever gets his finger out, you will be the man. Congratulations again . (yes I am jealous).

dan dan wrote: »
    Oh dyslexic,
    I would love to be shopping like that. It must have been great fun. Only problem is you need to buy a big quad and trailer to carry your store. If chicken licken ever gets his finger out, you will be the man. Congratulations again . (yes I am jealous).

Quite borring really - it all fitted easily into a single carrier bag.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Went out and got my hands dirty today

7029858285_0841ba1cd6_z.jpg

7029867257_e6bdbf4585_c.jpg

Just testin out new gear or out for the crack? What ya cook??

Tabnabs wrote: »

Nice, I like the notches cut into the stick there, haven't seen that before. I headed to the beach in the early morning during the heat this week and made an impromptu seafood stew in a remote corner, assorted shellfish with a crushed clove of wild garlic garnished with dandelion, but haven't rolled out the full kit yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just testin out new gear or out for the crack? What ya cook??

Bit of both, new gear and a wander in the woods. I'm also doing the BushClass USA "course", but just for myself and adding more as possible.

Cooked nothing more interesting than some soup to have with sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

Hi tabnabs where did you get that hobo stove from ?. Is it stainless and what are dimensions ?. Thanks.

waterboy15 wrote: »
    Hi tabnabs where did you get that hobo stove from ?. Is it stainless and what are dimensions ?. Thanks.

You need to get yourself to Ikea http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/30131716/

Diameter: 12 cm
    Height: 18 cm
    Stainless steel

The birthplace of all good hobo stoves.

A couple of tent pegs will make a nice rack to sit things on too. You can either make a pouch to hold it in or the British army waterbottle pouch does the job nicely too. I'm hoping something like this will sit inside the stove and then food or tinder etc. inside that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

Thanks tabnabs, i have a zebra 14cm they are brilliant pity that cutlery container wont suit i am using an old lolipop tin at moment as my hobo, with 2 stainless skewers shortened to suit as stand.

waterboy15 wrote: »
    Thanks tabnabs, i have a zebra 14cm they are brilliant pity that cutlery container wont suit i am using an old lolipop tin at moment as my hobo, with 2 stainless skewers shortened to suit as stand.

Feel free to stick up a photo of it, I'd like to see your version.

Picked up the hexi stoves, drybags, and water carriers from Aldi today.

Hexi is pretty much as advertised, doesn't feel terribly solid but stiff enough when folded out. A bit of research shows that generally people are unimpressed with the hexamine tablets, so I'll be experimenting with various (free) concoctions of pine resin/sawdust/manure/charcoal when I get the chance, to see if I can improvise better fuel in the field. The holes in the base will actually cradle the rounded-base peanut lighter to use as a candle or for cooking as well, once its not jostled, so there's one improv already.

I'm very happy with the drybag though, its huge and fits neatly into my backpack, so any electronics, notebooks etc will be quite safe in there, even if completely immersed for a while.

I'm going to have to reorganise my kit soon, the pile of stuff is getting chaotic!

Hexi is pretty much as advertised, doesn't feel terribly solid but stiff enough when folded out. A bit of research shows that generally people are unimpressed with the hexamine tablets, so I'll be experimenting with various (free) concoctions of pine resin/sawdust/manure/charcoal when I get the chance, to see if I can improvise better fuel in the field. The holes in the base will actually cradle the rounded-base peanut lighter to use as a candle or for cooking as well, once its not jostled, so there's one improv already.

I'm very happy with the drybag though, its huge and fits neatly into my backpack, so any electronics, notebooks etc will be quite safe in there, even if completely immersed for a while.

I'm going to have to reorganise my kit soon, the pile of stuff is getting chaotic!

I've a couple of the same ones and they aren't as good as the old army ones I'd be more used to but only have them as a backup to a backup. Have you ever tried Meta Fuel? I'm not sure you can get it anymore as its poisonous and used in slug pellets - good link http://zenstoves.net/SolidFuelBurner.htm for both stoves and fuel Meta Fuel gets a mention near the bottom.

I've a couple of the same ones and they aren't as good as the old army ones I'd be more used to but only have them as a backup to a backup. Have you ever tried Meta Fuel?
    Likewise these wouldn't be my go-to cooking method, normally I'd use the kelly kettle, just picked them up as a convenience. Still they are small and light, so no harm. I haven't really used any solid fuel except wood, but I'm curious to see what can be done with pine resin!

I reckon I'll heat some up so it melts then stir in the various substances in various proportions till I find something that can go for ten minutes or thereabouts. Probably a mix of 1:1:1 charcoal:sawdust:resin (basically pine pitch glue) will give good results, although it will sacrifice the smokelessness of the tabs.

Been out side grass cutting the last few days and just noticed I've got sun burn on my noise (a handy sun shade for the rest of my body mind) so just made a note to add sun block and moisturiser to the bob list. Think they should be in the first aid kit or at least part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Fire lighters make good hexi stove fuel so far ive only used chep fire lighters but a block about the same size as the square hexi blocks lasts longer Down side to this is they stink even before you light them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Tabnabs wrote: »

7029867257_e6bdbf4585_c.jpg
    Cool hobo stove (guess where im heading tomorrow:D) at the moment i use like yourself the patteren 58 kit but i also use the nalgene bottle and nesting cup/pot its 500ml might be an idea in these stoves as you have a a hobo pattern 58 here is a link to the cup/pot i mean
    http://www.survivalmetrics.com/id_Space-Saver-Cup-Olicamp

grapeape wrote: »
    Cool hobo stove (guess where im heading tomorrow:D) at the moment i use like yourself the patteren 58 kit but i also use the nalgene bottle and nesting cup/pot its 500ml might be an idea in these stoves as you have a a hobo pattern 58 here is a link to the cup/pot i mean

Stop it! stop showing me more kit I don't have!! :D

• Advertisement

grapeape wrote: »

From your link another http://www.survivalmetrics.com/id_Pocket-Survival-Pak-Adventure-Medical-Kits-0140-0707 caught my eye a survival pack in a transparent plastic ziplok type bag. I really like the idea so I'm now on the lookout for a suitable bag, I might even try taking a larger one and making it smaller by heat sealing the edges to size I want and cutting off the excess?

Advertisement