Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

In a survival situation. The great and their families will take the south bound elevator. They will not return to see the results until all is declared clear. Rules and laws and regulations will go with them.
    At that time only the prepared will avoid starvation and disease. Of them only those capable of defending their store will survive the onslaught of starving people who resent you for having food or having prepared.AK47 will be very acceptable .You will be the law. !! remember that because the masses will feel fully entitled to your store,you greedy basxxrd, keeping all their food. Consider in your plans the disposal of your own and others dead bodies .if you are static ,this will be huge. If mobile,security is more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

After a near miss last night with some feckers trying to steal my oil I had a home security day.

Bought and installed 4 cctv camera's and DVR to record motion from them, one at the front of the house can be controlled from the internet so I can pan and tilt it from anywhere in the world! I also get alerts to my iphone so I can watch any camera in real time:D Just testing the night vision now and spying on local stray cat!

Also bought 4 spot lights which operate from infra red sensors that switch on when you move near them. These are fitted 360 around the home and working but I guess I will get complaints as they are brighter than the local GAA training pitch;) Still have blind spots as I have a L shape home but I have plans for those:D

Finally I just designed a perimeter intrusion warning system, basically it will let me know if anyone is trying to get in on the sides and back of the house which backs onto farm land. I will fit it and test tomorrow but basically if a fine wire is broken it will set off an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

krissovo wrote: »
    After a near miss last night with some feckers trying to steal my oil I had a home security day.

Bought and installed 4 cctv camera's and DVR to record motion from them, one at the front of the house can be controlled from the internet so I can pan and tilt it from anywhere in the world! I also get alerts to my iphone so I can watch any camera in real time:D Just testing the night vision now and spying on local stray cat!

Also bought 4 spot lights which operate from infra red sensors that switch on when you move near them. These are fitted 360 around the home and working but I guess I will get complaints as they are brighter than the local GAA training pitch;) Still have blind spots as I have a L shape home but I have plans for those:D

Finally I just designed a perimeter intrusion warning system, basically it will let me know if anyone is trying to get in on the sides and back of the house which backs onto farm land. I will fit it and test tomorrow but basically if a fine wire is broken it will set off an alarm.

Don't put to much reliance on the security cameras, there is a certain element that takes no notice of them what so ever. My son was blamed for an incident by a group that were caught on 2 cameras and they never changed their story and insisted they were never there even when shown the evidence :confused:.

Great idea for catching who did it but won't always stop then them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

A complete waste of time and money.. if someone want's to steal your oil, they will, no matter if you have CCTV, floodlights etc..

I tried protecting €250,000 worth of touring caravans, had the CCTV, floodlights, silent alarm with auto dialer to the mobile phone... even a Rottweiler... the thieves wore ski masks, knocked out the flood lights, bashed the Rottweiler over the head knocking it out then proceeded to cut through 2 parameter fences to steal 4 caravans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Them oil thieves are getting out of hand all right

• Advertisement

A complete waste of time and money.. if someone want's to steal your oil, they will, no matter if you have CCTV, floodlights etc..

I totally understand that if a professional outfit want to rob me they will regardless of security, however I work abroad 50% of the time so its nice to know I can sweep the area from my hotel if the misses gets spooked. I also have a safe room so again if the cameras are working at least I can see out.

Luckily they didnt get my oil as my water storage is also an oil tank at the side of the house, the dumb feckers pumped about 200ltrs of water before they realized and thats when I challenged them. The downside is my water system is contaminated which I need to replace next week but at least its proved my fall back system using a well is working.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bought fruit trees. Two for a tenner in lidl. Couldn't refuse. Did the usual deliberate overpurchasing of essentials with the weekly shop.

"More wholemeal flour?"
    "It's for the apocalypse, love."

Bless her levels of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

http://www.anthony-dacko.net/GSM-TRIP-WIRE.htm
    Nice simple tripwire alarm,that even an electonic klutz and simpleton[like me:o] can build!
    Been handy against wood theives and as an anti poaching device.
    Ol Anthony despite being an anti hunting and hunt sab sympthiser has some ueful electronic projects on his website.So I suppose he does have his uses.:rolleyes:.
    Downloaded thru another website a load of OLD American Survival guide magazine [1985 to 1991]Fun to see stuff that is proably in the US blatatenly illegal to own,but was once considerd the norm for any survivalst to have.Not to mind readng some of the now, very Un Pc articles!:cool::D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    http://www.anthony-dacko.net/GSM-TRIP-WIRE.htm
    Nice simple tripwire alarm,that even an electonic klutz and simpleton[like me:o] can build!

Nice setup, the clothes peg was an official trigger in the British army doctrine. Incidentally so was a sponge and tin foil;)

I like it, much simpler than what I am currently doing so I might have a go at something similar at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nice setup, the clothes peg was an official trigger in the British army doctrine. Incidentally so was a sponge and tin foil;)

Im intrigued on the sponge and tinfoil...Time delay or pull to contact??:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Im intrigued on the sponge and tinfoil...Time delay or pull to contact??:confused:

The sponge was pressure pad type trigger, cut the sponge to roughly .5 to 1cm thick(anti personnel, vehicles can use thicker), cut holes in the sponge, cover two sides with tin foil. You end up with a pressure pad that when activated the tin foil will complete a circuit. Once constructed and tested we would cover with duck tape and have ready to deploy.

These can be made very sensitive for even small animals or made so that only adults will trigger.

I've managed to squeeze a 20cm folding saw into one of the bops (bug out pouches), any more freight in those yokes and I may as well strap them on my back. Also ordered a few wicks from dx, for the lighters which have yet to show up, and sent an angry email to Brunton over their costly and useless storm lighter. Price is not neccessarily an indication of quality!

Oh yes also put my firemaking kit into airtight ziploc baggies, dunno why it took me this long to think of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Started digging my veg plot today, specifically the part for my early and main crop spuds.

Bug out? By the time I've done what I have to I'll only be fit to buggering fall over :D

Veg better be damn tasty I tells ye...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

johngalway wrote: »
    Started digging my veg plot today, specifically the part for my early and main crop spuds.

Bug out? By the time I've done what I have to I'll only be fit to buggering fall over :D

Veg better be damn tasty I tells ye...

IF the SHTF john we'll all be bugging out to you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

No6 wrote: »
    IF the SHTF john we'll all be bugging out to you!!!

In that case bring wine, women, and song!

And if someone could possibly hijack a well drilling rig along the way, that'd be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

My 4 year old was out in the garden playin earlier and i went out to see what he was doing, well he had a pile of twigs and was rubbing 2 sticks together "trying to make a camp fire" :)

I was headin off hunting so i decided to leave the gun at home and take him for a walk through the fields instead and show him how to make a camp fire, what materials to use and where to find them ect. He came home delighted with himself and told his mam that he will lightt the fire for us when we go campin!

Must start bringin him more and see if it keeps his interest

Do it now and keep at it they grow up far to quickly!

Do it now and keep at it they grow up far to quickly!
    Plannin on it! He has been askin for months can he come hunting with me but mammy says no way he is way too young so i have to respect that for now and work on changing it, this might help! Ether way im a proud dad today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Plannin on it! He has been askin for months can he come hunting with me but mammy says no way he is way too young so i have to respect that for now and work on changing it, this might help! Ether way im a proud dad today :)

just leave the gun at home, I've been bringing my 7 year old daughter for walks in fields for years, show them everything you can!!! They love it.

I would like to teach him to shoot from a young age but its not a big deal. he has seen all the "hard work" that takes place after the trigger is pulled on rabbits many times and a few ducks and pheasent.

Will make time for this every week now and with the longer evenings it'll be alot easier

• Advertisement

Yes, my IMCO Triplex and peanut lighters arrived at last, free shipping means slow shipping but sure whats the rush! :D

I have to say after knocking them around a bit I'm absolutely delighted. I did a time test on the candle part of the triplex and shut it off after 5 minutes lit, as I didn't want to risk the wick till the spare wicks arrived.

After five minutes lit the candle part had showed no diminishment in brightness or size of flame, and judging by the amount I had to refill it afterwards, it could have handily done ten minutes or possibly even fifteen, easily enough to cook a small meal or make tea.

Windproof wise the lighter does best with the wind shield fully exposed, creating a larger flame. Not quite as windproof as the Brunton storm but still very acceptable.

It has a lovely 1920s feel to it overall, wouldn't look out of place in an Indiana Jones movie, although its a bit more art deco than rugged in appearance. Its a very light piece of kit, much less heft than a zippo, but it said stainless steel on dx so I'm assuming that's what its made of.

I'll be using one triplex regularly over the next month, and I have another filled up and sitting in a corner to be tested for evaporation versus a zippo, checked every Monday for the month, calendar check 12th of March.

One other thing I want to try is filling it with camp fuel with a high naphtha content, since that's a lot cheaper than zippo fluid, I'll do that after working through the fuel I have, so probably next weekend. After that I'll try a dousing and immersion test to see how she fares.

The peanut, well the peanut is a teeny lighter, thats it really. I'll do a leakage test next to the triplex, and I've one on my keyring for emergencies but since that has the rubber o-ring I'm not too concerned about mid to long term storage. Tough, solid little lighter that will burn almost any flammable liquid fuel.

72827_ts.jpg

CC020_3.jpg

Has anyone actually used the entire collection of survival gear in real time.
    What an experiment for some person to suffer the elements and use only what is in each bag or tin to the most authentic set up possible. It might be very interesting to see what they might change. what would they change,What are the popular myths etc.What are we all missing in our stores.

dan dan wrote: »
    What an experiment for some person to suffer the elements and use only what is in each bag or tin to the most authentic set up possible. It might be very interesting to see what they might change. what would they change,What are the popular myths etc.What are we all missing in our stores.
    Hrm. A dangerous game. People die out there, all the time. Then there are environmental factors, surviving in rich Cork farmland in summertime is a far different prospect to surviving on bald Clare karst in the depths of winter. And of course you'd be limited in range and scope as opposed to a real SHTF scenario, no harvesting livestock or picking things up as you go along.

You'd also need a buddy system, some way to tap out, so at least three people within a few miles and a means of direct communication would have to be involved, and emergency services would have to be notified in advance.

Anyone else interested in the idea of a Great Boards Survival Challenge? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Tidied up the garage, made room to move, sharpened the hand axe and made kindling from some wood I've been drying under the stove for a while now.

Travel and trekking over strange terrain in all weathers,is of course a very hazerdous occupation. I had in mind a fixed position scenario. Make a shelter,to last days. Finally know if you can really sharpen that hunk of metal you call a hatchet.Discover is a big fancy deer skinning knife just a lump of weight . Does a small sharp knife do a better job.Big Big test for things like wire saws, Fishing gear, firelighting stuff. Time and solitude. Some of us will find we have all the gear and not a modicum of talent to use them.

dan dan wrote: »

I have many years experience of the wilderness and survival behind me and was an instructor in the British Army. I can honestly say I have never had to rely solely on my gear in anything but a controled enviroment. The art is practicing in small, safe bitesize chunks that you can apply in an extream situation.

It probably deserves its own thread.

Agree there should be a "Survival challange" type thread any chance you can split it out into a new thread krissovo?

This was part of my point. Some people will see oppertunity ,assistance and help in a piece of area,where another person will just sit down and die. Never knowing the values around them. Some SAS types will thrive where others fail. A weekend in the bush will soon tell you which category you are.

Is this not an oppertunity for a fools instruction course.Groups of locals to band together and learn how. Leaning on each other as the situation arises. Correct pothunting skills and fishing skills. Recognition of plants,and insects. On trapping an animal,how to handle it for the pot.It is amazing how little we actually know campared to what we think we know.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    CC020_3.jpg
    Just noticed that the peanut I got from dx has a rounded base, not a flat base, so it can't be used as a candle. Not a huge deal but just so people are aware.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've been learning to brew over the last while. Whatever else happens, I want booze on a Friday night. Yesterday I had the fruits of my labour after 4 weeks of waiting. Savage.

Advertisement