Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

bonniebede wrote: »
    Cellar. No, the garage. No, the attic. No, the pantry. Oops, having none of the previous, where the heck is this stuff going to go?:eek:
    Make a chair out of it and call it ApocaChic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Also added several bars of soap.

Considering getting some cheapo ones of these myself. I presume soap will never go off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Khannie wrote: »
    Considering getting some cheapo ones of these myself. I presume soap will never go off?

The soap part itself will remain OK but the perfume smell will get less over time.

My mother still has the same guest soap in the guest bedroom at home she put there 20 years or more ago and its still there - no ones ever dared use it :P although I should mention its very ornamental and in the shape of a rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Thats what I reckon.

Very impressive how your gettin into this bonniebede, you will do well

Have you told the hubby about your plans yet? Does he know what your at?

Himself (who's the brother:rolleyes:) got told about the plants in the spare room, no bother, he's very laid back. As for the rest of the stuff, well, putting it somewhere out of sight will be a useful exercise in grey man camoflage anyway. If he finds it, I need to try harder.:D

• Advertisement

:D
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Make a chair out of it and call it ApocaChic.

Part one - Chairmageddon. Otherwise entitled 'Yes dear, I got rid of all those kilos of flour' . (note the woodpile cunningly disguised as an occassional table in the background).

Copenhagen-Design-Week-2011-Think-Twice-9-537x358.jpg

Amore sophisticated coffee table.

judy_hoysak_indoor_vegetabl.jpg

Also added several bars of soap.

You could also add this to your garden, very easy to grow Soapwort and that reminds me of something to clean pans with but don't ever grow it (plenty around already) as it is a major pain in the neck impossible to get rid of weed Horsetail. Horsetail stems contain silica and a handful makes a good pan scrubber, I have heard of the stems bound together like a brush for use as a pan scrubber but never gone that far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Final OT post on the ApocaChic theme;

43009l4.jpg

8000 slices of bread that need disguising?

Cellar. No, the garage. No, the attic. No, the pantry. Oops, having none of the previous, where the heck is this stuff going to go?:eek:

How about something a simple as a wardrobe? Then you can put some clothes in it to disguise whats in it?

• Advertisement

How about something a simple as a wardrobe? Then you can put some clothes in it to disguise whats in it?

I've solved my problem by...digging out the trunk full of too small clothes stored under the stairs for when I lose weight, cause now that I am getting prepping fit they nearly fit me (Yahaay!) and have replaced it with 20kgs rice, and 12 kg each flour and porridge oats. Starting to get a picture of how much space i need for a years storage. Time to get the attic floored, methinks.

Any ideas or experience on storing flour porridge oats and rice? I've left them all in the bags they came in (paper, non-airtight plastic and a plasticky canvas respectively). The large sack of rice i put in a vacuum bag and sucked out the air with a hoover, one of those things that are meant for clothes storage, but it is good and airtight. The flour went into ziplock baggies, the porridge oats as they are at present, might ziplock them too.

All in a plastic trunk with a good fitting lid. That should keep out rodents, hoping plastic should keep out crawlies. Plan to replace all before the best before date...any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Any ideas or experience on storing flour porridge oats and rice? I've left them all in the bags they came in (paper, non-airtight plastic and a plasticky canvas respectively). The large sack of rice i put in a vacuum bag and sucked out the air with a hoover, one of those things that are meant for clothes storage, but it is good and airtight. The flour went into ziplock baggies, the porridge oats as they are at present, might ziplock them too.

All in a plastic trunk with a good fitting lid. That should keep out rodents, hoping plastic should keep out crawlies. Plan to replace all before the best before date...any opinions?

No, they are $hite! I have used many in the past and they don't work, you would probably have to vacuum them every few days.

CamperMan wrote: »
    No, they are $hite! I have used many in the past and they don't work, you would probably have to vacuum them every few days.

WOW:confused: I put a load of old heavy blankets in vacuum bags over 12months ago and they are still packed like bricks.

It was my wifes idea to use them and I really doubted they would work but they certainly did.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, it depends on the bag really. We've had rubbish ones that filled with air within a few months but a friend of mine has stuff in his attic that has stayed vacuumed for years.

Yeah, it depends on the bag really. We've had rubbish ones that filled with air within a few months but a friend of mine has stuff in his attic that has stayed vacuumed for years.

The ones we used were expensive (or least thats what I thought at the time when I was expecting them not to work).

WOW:confused: I put a load of old heavy blankets in vacuum bags over 12months ago and they are still packed like bricks.

It was my wifes idea to use them and I really doubted they would work but they certainly did.

we bought loads (from Heatons) to vacuum pack everything that could be compressed for the trip to Germany, was compressed, however, 4 days later many of the bags had let air in, some were still packed like bricks

With respect to the vacuum bags, I have been using these for clothes without any loss of pressure over months...however, when you vacuum clothes they do really compress and become like bricks. The sack of rice did not really compress much at all, Obviously not much air there anyway and of course not springly like fabric. Really just used it not so much for vacuum as for a well sealed plastic covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Repacked my BoB / Emergency pack. It's now pretty full, but I think its fairly suitable for most situations.....

But, most importantly......

I finally added some evaporated milk and Barry's teabags!!!! :D

Preparedness has now been achieved

lidls- got tarp, quite nice, bulky to carry but will probably keep it for rainwater collection, also some garden items.

Taught my friends 5 yr old her parents phjone numbers in case she got lost, and how to dial them on the mobile.

• Advertisement

lidls- got tarp, quite nice, bulky to carry but will probably keep it for rainwater collection, also some garden items.

Taught my friends 5 yr old her parents phjone numbers in case she got lost, and how to dial them on the mobile.

Missed the tarp this week (never mind they'll be back) but they always manage to get you with something and this week it was a yellow hi vis jacket which has been added to the car kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Lovely and thoughtful of you, these simple skills save lives. I bought my friends kids cool id bracelets for christmas, the lads were camo and the girls were cute and pink. They have contact numbers, home address and med details on them. Only downside was that were not paracord:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Picked up a First Aid Kit last week for the car, also picked up a tin of mints to make an Altoids style minimal First Aid Kit.

More to cater for small accidents while training and the like, not sure I want to go to the effort of compiling a full Go-Bag. Will bring the mini kit in my bag/pocket on the bike or on more remote runs.

I suppose the 5 year old had the latest smartphone??

Nut's.. how did kids manage before the age of the mobile phone??

Easy, they would carry a little piece of paper with their name, address and home phone number on it... that's what my mum did with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

I suppose the 5 year old had the latest smartphone??

Nut's.. how did kids manage before the age of the mobile phone??

Easy, they would carry a little piece of paper with their name, address and home phone number on it... that's what my mum did with me

Tattoo it onto them, and hope you don't need to change numbers any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I tested Camperman's Russian GP5 gas masks :D

For the price I didnt expect much but they have a perfect seal, the valves are in perfect condition and the filters worked when I tested with a aerosol spray.

The outlet valve on these are a bit too exposed for me but with a small mod they will be fine. Now to order some NATO filters and tuck these away.

Tattoo it onto them, and hope you don't need to change numbers any time soon.

better still microchip the kids like you do with pets :D

krissovo wrote: »
    I tested Camperman's Russian GP5 gas masks :D

For the price I didnt expect much but they have a perfect seal, the valves are in perfect condition and the filters worked when I tested with a aerosol spray.

The outlet valve on these are a bit too exposed for me but with a small mod they will be fine. Now to order some NATO filters and tuck these away.

I have a few more of these if anyone else is interested ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Seperated out the red phosphorous from a box of matches and coated a few dozen match heads with it, whee! :D The first batch was too watery, I should have paid more attention there, but I've high hopes for the currently-drying second batch, which had a much thicker, muddier consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

better still microchip the kids like you do with pets :D

The government would love that

Advertisement