Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Picked up a couple of folding saws as a backup to the knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Picked up a couple of folding saws as a backup to the knife.

Do you have any doors left in your place to try them on :D

Do you have any doors left in your place to try them on :D
    We're reduced to bead curtains at this stage, I'll fire up the oul incense sure, it'll be like the sixties.

We're reduced to bead curtains at this stage, I'll fire up the oul incense sure, it'll be like the sixties.

Paracord for the bead curtains I hope.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

From your link another http://www.survivalmetrics.com/id_Pocket-Survival-Pak-Adventure-Medical-Kits-0140-0707 caught my eye a survival pack in a transparent plastic ziplok type bag. I really like the idea so I'm now on the lookout for a suitable bag, I might even try taking a larger one and making it smaller by heat sealing the edges to size I want and cutting off the excess?
    Ive picked up alot of gear from their ebay shop over the years never a problem with any of it all well tested on youtube too (something i must start doing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Roy Batty

I started carrying a key ring with a gerber artifact, fenix ld01 torch, and a tiny lighter.

Threw a leatherman into the bag I carry to work everyday, a steel bottle for water.

RB

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

A piece of fresh split stick or a couple of matches minus their heads of course. Floating in water being boiled will absorb all smoke, and you have non smokey drink. Circular saw blades and old handsaw blades make excellent knives if cut and sharpened without overheating and ruining the temper of the steel. Broken glass shards will plane amazing shavings off timber just like feather sticks.

Ordered some more stuff off dx, that place is bad for me. This time its a solar charger and USB battery charger connection, which should theoretically keep my electronics (except laptop) going indefinetely as long as I have rechargeable batteries.

I'll take a week off during the summer and head out to the lakes for some island camping, fishing, maybe some hunting, with my Nook and the solar charger to test them out along with all the rest of the kit I picked up over the winter.

Bought some 9cm x 13cm zip lock baggies and repacked some small bob survival tin and first aid kit stuff like plasters, windproof matches, swan vesta matches, wire saw, sewing kit, small fishing items, etc. Bit of a fetish really but its so damp where we live I feel its justified.

The small zip lock bags are also handy for holding AAA and AA batteries in the right quantity for their intended use, so I can pack 3 or 6 AAA batteries with a torch that uses 3 AAA batteries at a time.

btw anywhere know of a good place to get other sizes of zip lock bags? The ones Lidl do are great for many larger items and the ones I've just got are handy for smaller stuff but I can't find anything in between in the shops.

You can get all size zip locks on eBay cheap too

• Advertisement

grapeape wrote: »
    You can get all size zip locks on eBay cheap too

Was looking on eBay today and it just doesn't feel right to pay more in postage than the cost of the item.

Was looking on eBay today and it just doesn't feel right to pay more in postage than the cost of the item.

I bought about 10 differant sizes off the same guy so combined shipping worked out on a bulk order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I've been buying medications as I go and have filled a pill box with:

anti histamines
    anti inflammitorys
    painkillers
    vitamins
    antiemetics
    antacids

a few days worth of each

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Since I last posted...

More stuff in the garden, little plastic green house.

2 First aid kits and additional first aid bits.

Nice little book in Collins gem series on 'free food' with some interesting foraging info.

fishing rod, some hooks and fishing tackle.

Got a few little tin boxes for survival tins, hmm what to fill them with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Did a deal for a quad which ill hopefully take posession of tomorrow! Its for hunting and fun mainly but it will defo become part of my plans, not as something to rely on but as a useful tool that can be stored in the garage or the van if we get bad weather like last years snow and used to get home along with my GHB

And I'm happy to report that camp fuel works fine, maybe a little less enthusiastic but at half the cost I'm not complaining.
    I've found a greasy residue builds up over time with this stuff which prevents the sparks from catching. Easy to wipe off but something to keep in mind.

I've found a greasy residue builds up over time with this stuff which prevents the sparks from catching. Easy to wipe off but something to keep in mind.

Strange it is supposed to have a cleaning effect on the Coleman stoves and lamps. Unleaded tends to block them up so general advice is to use Coleman fuel every 3-4 fills, but never actually bothered as its so expensive.

Strange it is supposed to have a cleaning effect on the Coleman stoves and lamps. Unleaded tends to block them up so general advice is to use Coleman fuel every 3-4 fills, but never actually bothered as its so expensive.
    I dunno, pre wipe it didn't light, afterwards no problems. Maybe there's something else going on there.

I dunno, pre wipe it didn't light, afterwards no problems. Maybe there's something else going on there.

Put some in a dish just a teaspoon full and leave it somewhere safe to evaporate and see if there is a white residue?

Put some in a dish just a teaspoon full and leave it somewhere safe to evaporate and see if there is a white residue?
    Might take a while, what will that indicate?

• Advertisement

Might take a while, what will that indicate?

I'd be surprised if it took that long as the stuff is as volatile as unleaded petrol petrol or at least petrol and Colman camp fuel both work in Colman and other Petrol stoves and lamps?

If there is a greasy residue that doesn't light with a spark then there's the reason for the greasy residue on the lighter - fuel evaporation.

Might also be something in the fuel reacting with the metal in the lighter. The Coleman stoves and lamps I have are all steel or brass.

What I have here is more viscous than petrol or even zippo fluid. I tried to pull the wick up a bit first and fluffed it out but that didn't have much of an effect. Interestingly it was more effective with the wind shield fully open, so probably the fumes from the residue inside the confined lighting space of the triplex just didn't allow enough oxygen in for ignition. There is a small amount of greasy smoke left after the flame is extinguished too, which I'd say is forming the residue. AFAIK the triplex is stainless steel.

I'm probably getting mixed up? I've just checked my unopened unused backup 1l bottle of Coleman Fuel and it didn't say what I expected it to say on the bottle which was Coleman Camp Fuel so we are talking about different things - my fault.

This is what I have >

coleman_fuel-247x400.jpg

Must check if this is the same >

coleman-camp-stove-instructions-295x195.png

Edit> neither of those is anyway viscous.

Well its not terribly viscous, it wicks up alright, which was the weird thing, the wick was quite damp to the touch, and the sparks were landing squarely on it. Lighting hadn't presented a problem previously either. I'll put my money on oxygen starvation since that seems to fit the fix anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Got a van load of freshly cut pine, about 350kg or so i reckon, collecting a chainsaw this evening to get it chopped and stacked tomorrow!

Have been cooking and filling the freezer. Also stocked up on the pantry goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Built a 2cord lumber rack for the woodpile out of 2x4in wood.
    FWIW
    A "cord"of fire wood is appx 4ft high,4ft wide,and 8 ft long of dry wood .Whole or split.
    I need to build another six of these racks and fill them with wood by August.:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sorted out my bug out bag, as i have accumulated a few more bits and pieces, and to be honest it was more of a bug out heap.

Sorted all the new first aid bits and pieces into a bag, next step to revamp home aid kit and bob/ car kits.

Nice to have my bob and boots ready to grab again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Onanon

Got recurring ingrown toenail removed and the nailbed treated with acid. I won't be arsing around with a crutch if I need to GTFO.

Stocked up on 64 hex tabs, two hex stoves, kettle. Practiced using these and constructing wind shelter.

Now have scarf, first aid stuff, SAK, torch on me keyring. Need some twine.

• Advertisement

Since I last posted
    Ive been trying recipes that can be cooked on a gas stove /open fire /hexi rather than in the oven or on a full cooker and stacking up on supplies for them
    Getting the kids used to using pmr446 radios and teaching the older 2 basic first aid
    picked up a led lenser M5 pocket torch works off 1 AA battery for 9 hours 92 lumens nice as a backup or edc torch also picked up a Ka-Bar K2 folder from
    http://heinnie.com/Ka-Bar-Knives/Folding-Knives/K-2-Komodo/p-155-999-8043/

For the price its a nice knife
    and a pair of Praktica sport 12x25 binoculars

Advertisement