Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland St Patricks Day 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

That was one of the worst halves of a rugby game I've ever seen from an Irish perspective but I wouldn't lose the run of myself. England were better on the day and they won that game by superiority in the scrum. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

teednab-el wrote: »
    Nick Mallet next Ireland coach. Embarrassing, only word to describe that. We have the players to be grand slam champs. Kidney is to blame. Won grand slam with O'Sullivans team. We can't simply put up with "close enough" anymore. Look at our club sides in HC. 3 in QF. We should be winning more Championships.

We are not good enough simple as. Our players are overrated. They are only average. There is too much hype about out team. We had people on here saying that Ireland were better than Wales. How deluded people are.

Are you serious? Why, year in year out can our players outperform their Welsh and English counterparts in Europe yet fall short collectively in Europe. I'd better a penny to a pound that you will have at least 1 Irish club in final of Pro 12 AND Heineken Cup, yet we ended up 3rd in 6 Nations, ahead of France, and terrible Scotland and Italy sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

emmet02 wrote: »
    bnt wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, there was a worse game today, and a far worse team. Stick a wooden spork in the Scotland team: they're done.

Bull**** bull**** bull****

Look at the names of the Scotland team 2010 and the team 2012.

Look at their ages.

They're "a team in transition" and they should accept as much.

We're a team running off a ****ing cliff

Plus they have try machine tim visser to come into the team. I like andy Robinson and what he's trying to do

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Honestly don't think there's any issue with our 'starting' 15 today... Except for maybe an on-form Fitzy to make his way back into the squad and Darce to hang up his boots for hind form again.

bnt wrote: »
    OK OK OK! That's what I get for trying to be a Scotland fan in Ireland, I guess! The "transition" had better be a good one ... :o

It will be I reckon.

Making mistakes now to benefit in the next 5 years is a great call
    I think.

They're also clearing out tonnes of "past it" pros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Darcy has to go, awful today. Earls played well as did Ryan & Kearney.... Tom Court should take a long walk off a shot pier.............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

We are not good enough simple as. Our players are overrated. They are only average. There is too much hype about out team. We had people on here saying that Ireland were better than Wales. How deluded people are.

Not really, i wouldnt call healy, poc, ferris, sexton, bowe or kearney average by any stretch of the imagination.....

However.... the main problem is we have no props... Ross goes off and that us completely ****ed.... engand were obviously going to go to the scrum everytime.

May i suggest that you watch more rugby... we are good enough and yes we are better than wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Very honest interview from Rory Best. He's an honourable man and deserves respect.

Tom Court is a LOOSEHEAD

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I bet Thornley will write a column telling us that Kidney is just the man to get us out of our poor form. The man is completely blind when it comes to Deccie.

And the Court hate has gone overboard. He can play both sides of the scrum but he's primarily a loosehead. He's only a very average tighthead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

I'm not going to knock the players while they're down but rather thank the players who have played their last game for us. Thanks for the memories.

To the players that remain, their biggest problem is the lack of competition for places. Can't see that changing for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Are you serious? Why, year in year out can our players outperform their Welsh and English counterparts in Europe yet fall short collectively in Europe. I'd better a penny to a pound that you will have at least 1 Irish club in final of Pro 12 AND Heineken Cup, yet we ended up 3rd in 6 Nations, ahead of France, and terrible Scotland and Italy sides.

Well our talent pool is split between three provincial teams whereas England's is split between 12 clubs and Wales' between four with a lot of players moving abroad. So you can't compare the H Cup to international level.

That said I'd take JS from Leinster tomorrow and I think we'd be a different team this time next year with him in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Darcy has to go, awful today. Earls played well as did Ryan & Kearney.... Tom Court should take a long walk off a shot pier.............

Tom Court was asked to play out of position. You do know that don't you?
    Maybe you don't.
    The fact that we do not have a tight head to replace Ross when he gets injured is a disgrace. That's not Tom Court's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Who should come in to replace him? Also, its not like Ross had much luck with Corbisero either.

D'Arcy and O'Leary should not be involved with Ireland anymore. Also, Kidney should have the decency to step aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Ah that's too harsh. Court is a loosehead asked to play out of position and he did his best. Playing Court at tighthead is like asking asking Kearney to play fly half or O'Connell to play flanker.

Lets be somewhat sensible here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Nick Mallet next Ireland coach. Embarrassing, only word to describe that. We have the players to be grand slam champs. Kidney is to blame. Won grand slam with O'Sullivans team. We can't simply put up with "close enough" anymore. Look at our club sides in HC. 3 in QF. We should be winning more Championships.

Because our provinces contain a lot of players from other countries outside of Ireland. If our international team could do that we certainly would be better and win more.

Judging by the quality of rugby and game plans used by teams this year you're right Cosmo... You can't compare H-Cup to international level....

H-Cup has clearly overtaken European International Test Rugby. :D

I'm actually not joking. I'd reckon whoever is H-Cup champions this year would beat Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

corny wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. Why do people keep blaming men when its painfully obvious they're being asked to play anti rugby. If Kidney picks Boss, Reddan, TOL or Murray it just won't matter. They'll all be asked to box kick the leather off the ball and none of them are particularly good at it.

That goes for most of the players across the park. The majority of the players are asked to play against their instincts with Kidney in charge. Thats the key to it for me.

I have no problem with the players following orders, but the basic errors are criminal. How can a scum half, twice out of three goes kick the ball out on the full. They train all week, practice this stuff. Its basic skills for a scrum half to box-kick and keep the ball in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Because our provinces contain a lot of players from other countries outside of Ireland. If our international team could do that we certainly would be better and win more.

The Leinster HEC winning team from last year had 2 NIQ's, and one of those will be IQ this year.

The only positive I can find is that dreadful displays against England in 2000 and 2008 proved to be watersheds for the international team. This can be too but it will take a little bit of guts from the IRFU to do the right thing and remove our GS winning coach. It was a bit easier with EOS because he didn't have that in his back pocket. But it has to be done for the sake of Irish rugby.

What about 2002 and 2003?

• Advertisement

Wrong.

Want me to explain why?

EDIT: Tox did already. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

have you not seen the english clubs??? they are awash with foreign players??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Tom Court
    Leo Cullen
    Gordon D'Arcy
    Denis Hurley
    Shane Jennings
    Mike McCarthy
    Donnacha O'Callaghan
    Ronan O'Gara
    Tomas O'Leary
    Paddy Wallace
    (add Wallace etc. who were not involved through injury to that list...dare I say O'Driscoll also, just to move us on, and the man hasn't got much rugby left in him, maybe one more season...)

These are all players who were in the Irish squad for this six nations. Some are not good enough any more, some were never good enough, and some are still good, but are too old and it's time to move on and build for the future.

None of the above players should be involved in international rugby again and should just focus on their provincial / club rugby.

Declan Kidney needs to do the honourable thing, and take responsability and pass on the tourch, no hard feelings.

A core squad needs to be built, with caution to the wind, and start young players, focus international camp coaching on them, and get them up to speed. Munster have shown that intensive coaching can get a lot out of perhaps not the most naturally gifted players, but you can teach a lot in rugby, and Axel Foley has done a great job at this in particular, and guys like Zebo has been focused on as he has something you can't teach, blistering pace, and he's learning the rest as he goes along and improving.

The squad to focus on:

Loose Head: Healy, Wilkinson, McGrath
    Hooker: Best, Cronin, Strauss, Varley, Sherry
    Tight Head: Ross, Hagan, Archer
    Second Row: O'Connell, Ryan, Toner, Caldwell, Tuhoy, Nagle, Flanagan
    Blind Side: Ferris, Ruddock, McLoughlin
    Open Side: O'Brien, O'Mahony, Dom Ryan
    Number 8: Heaslip, Henry
    Scrum Half: Reddan, Boss, Paul Marshall, Murray, Luke McGrath
    Out-Half: Sexton, Madigan, Keatley, Jackson
    Centre: McFadden, O'Malley, Macken, Cave, Griffen, Spence, Whitten, Luke Marshall
    Wing: Earls, Trimble, Bowe, Zebo, D. Kearney, Fitzgerald, Gilroy, O'Halloran, Carr
    Full-Back: Rob Kearney, F. Jones, Conway

I know some of these players are yet to produce much at PRO12 level, but we need to get them in training camp, guys like Luke McGrath, or Nagle, Flanagan, Archer etc., but we need to identify the most promising players in the country, from an early age, and really try and refine their skills, that's not to say they'll start or even be in a match day 22, at least not until their ready, but we need to throw some lads in the deep end, and really go for broke and try and build a brand new team around the bones of the past.

We have such a cynical view of youth and international rugby in this country, but guys who do it at domestic level in England, Wales and France always excell and make that step up to international level. The gap between domestic and intenrational level isn't what it used to be, and if you can shine at that level you deserve a chance at the next level.

Some people might think names on that list are madness, but I'd look for wholesale changes, and really go on a hiding to nothing in New Zealand, and throw some lads in and make them fight for a place, and put the older lads out to pasture now.....it's over, their chance has come and gone, after over a decade of chances in some cases, and their time has now passed.

I'd certainly look to build a new squad and get them used to system and ready to step in, and it will help them to develop at their clubs too. But most importantly, I'd get an impartial, ambitious, Southern Hemisphere coach....I wont make a suggestion, as I never heard of Schmidt before he became Leinster coach, so I do believe those superb coaches are out there, it's not my job to find them, but they are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

ambid wrote: »
    Ah that's too harsh. Court is a loosehead asked to play out of position and he did his best. Playing Court at tighthead is like asking asking Kearney to play fly half or O'Connell to play flanker.

Court is in the squad on the basis that he covers both sides. From what we saw today we'd be better off with Buckley, or failing that a sweeping brush. Court was simply awful....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Stop defending the indefensible. Court not a tight head eh so why not have a tight head as sub eg. Jamie Hagan or any tight head for that matter, Court is a chancer imho.

Tox56 wrote: »

The Leinster HEC winning team from last year had 2 NIQ's, and one of those will be IQ this year.

They had 2 NIQ,s? Still not all Irish right?

Don't be pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Court is in the squad on the basis that he covers both sides. From what we saw today we'd be better off with Buckley, or failing that a sweeping brush. Court was simply awful....

Again, who would you put in instead..? Oh wait, you gave a suggestion... BUCKLEY!!!????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

ambid wrote: »

Totally agree well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Their Irish replacements are Bowe and Best. Arguably better.

Advertisement