Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland St Patricks Day 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

No he can't. He can cover tighthead about as well as Tom Court can. Except Court is a far better loosehead. Suggesting McGrath is better than Court is hilarious.

Im not. Hes 22 for godsake. I meant hes one for the future.

bnt wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, there was a worse game today, and a far worse team. Stick a wooden spork in the Scotland team: they're done.

Bull**** bull**** bull****

Look at the names of the Scotland team 2010 and the team 2012.

Look at their ages.

They're "a team in transition" and they should accept as much.

We're a team running off a ****ing cliff

Goodbye:
    ROG
    DOC
    TOL
    D'arcy

KIDNEY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

That's not fair. We are being pushed backwards off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bnt wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, there was a worse game today, and a far worse team. Stick a wooden spork in the Scotland team: they're done.
    Yes, the only two teams we managed to beat in the 6 Nation's this year.

• Advertisement

worst 6N performance in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The funny thing will be, it's more than possible these same players will dominate these very same Engilsh/Welsh players in the HEC.

All-Irish Final would rub salt in the Kidney wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Scrum was a disater today but was under pressure before the Ross injury!
    Reddan was dimwited but O'Leary was shocking not even AIL level!
    Dont know why people are giving out about ROG he came into a game that was completely lost what do you think he can do in that situation with a scrum in reverse?
    Kidney is at this stage finnished sad but true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Dekkie says nothin as usual, other than state the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Heaslip hate is hilarious

A lot of its over the top but he did turn over a lot of ball today, he remains a powerhouse in defence but wiith ball in hand he's lost it and unfortunately thats a large part of an 8s game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Actually no... the main culprit here is the IRFU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Kidney feeling the pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Well easy to summarise this game. NO SCRUM NO WIN !

It's been a loong time since I remember a team being demolished like that on the scrum (maybe Australia vs England in the WC 2007 ?).

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Tox56 wrote: »
    The funny thing will be, it's more than possible these same players will dominate these very same Engilsh/Welsh players in the HEC.

All-Irish Final would rub salt in the Kidney wounds.
    Ive come to the conclusion that we have completely overrated our international side a bit like the english and their soccer team !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Look at the names of the Scotland team 2010 and the team 2012.
    Look at their ages.
    They're "a team in transition" and they should accept as much.

They've been in transition since 1999 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Nick Mallet next Ireland coach. Embarrassing, only word to describe that. We have the players to be grand slam champs. Kidney is to blame. Won grand slam with O'Sullivans team. We can't simply put up with "close enough" anymore. Look at our club sides in HC. 3 in QF. We should be winning more Championships.

We are not good enough simple as. Our players are overrated. They are only average. There is too much hype about out team. We had people on here saying that Ireland were better than Wales. How deluded people are.

shuffol wrote: »
    A lot of its over the top but he did turn over a lot of ball today, he remains a powerhouse in defence but wiith ball in hand he's lost it and unfortunately thats a large part of an 8s game.

Yeah, my last comment on this - the people defending Heaslip don't seem to appreciate how good he is. I rated him as one of the top 4 or 5 in the world in his position a couple of years ago. For whatever reason, he hasn't been doing himself justice.

shuffol wrote: »

Nobody was good today in green.

Ryan single handedly won 3 points and he still managed knock ons.

The vitriolic abuse Heaslip gets when he's not man of the match is frankly hilarious in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ive come to the conclusion that we have completely overrated our international side a bit like the english and their soccer team !

English teams are basically foreign players with 1/2 Engilsh players thrown in.

Leinster are almost totally Irish, Munster have a majority of Irish players, and Ulster have some quality individual players.

It's the coaching and the gameplan that is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Scrum was a disater today but was under pressure before the Ross injury!
    Reddan was dimwited but O'Leary was shocking not even AIL level!
    Dont know why people are giving out about ROG he came into a game that was completely lost what do you think he can do in that situation with a scrum in reverse?
    Kidney is at this stage finnished sad but true!

I think Ross was injured a while before he was brought off.

Game was not over when RO'G came on and even if it was what was he bringing him on for?

• Advertisement

teednab-el wrote: »
    We are not good enough simple as. Our players are overrated. They are only average. There is too much hype about out team. We had people on here saying that Ireland were better than Wales. How deluded people are.
    And yet we lost to Wales, grand slam winners, by a single kick of the ball in a game we should have won. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Couldn't agree more, we were rogered where the sun don't shine today......Appalling display. Scrum, what scrum?

Messrs Kidney......pack your bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

What goes on in Kidneys mind ? TOL played himself out of the team last year and has since fallen to 4th choice. 5th in the eyes of most people behind Marshall.

Yet when the 2nd and 3rd choice SH's are unavailable he not only brings him into the squad again knowing he has no business being there ahead of anyone but brings him on as a game changer against a team that is utterly destroying us. Unsurprisingly he's more detrimental than anything. Does Kidney have any idea what the fcuk he's at at all ??

As for Heaslip and Darcy, we know what to expect, they just havent been playing to their previous standards and in miserable conditions they didnt shine. A lot of layers didnt today Heaslip deserves no more criticism than anyone else. Darcy is the only one who looked out of his depth. So rather than bring on a centre we move a fly half to 12 and bring on ROG against a team that is destroying us. More stupidity. A combination that has been used in the dying minutes of already won games against knackered teams on the back foot or at a last resort. Its not a combination that is based on any evidence it is capable of taking apart a well organised defence.

From the start the plan was to kick away possession and hope for England to make mistakes, where have we seen that before ?? On this occasions it worked for a while because of the conditions, what happened when the conditions cleared a little ? We resorted to plan b of not knowing what the fcuk to do and running into each other when we managed to hold onto the ball for a couple of phases.

Sure we can point to players and say this that and the other but the infected growth that has been poisoning Irish rugby throughout this competition and indeed for the last number of years has been Declan Kidney. I'm sure he's a nice fella and I hope he gets a nice little job somewhere else but its time he fcuked off and let someone with an ounce of cop on coach the Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Apparently kidney is not to be blamed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

neilmulvey wrote: »
    O'Leary kicked out on the full twice and a few minutes later england scored tries. Kidney needs to wise up and stop picking his buddies.

Jesus Christ. Why do people keep blaming men when its painfully obvious they're being asked to play anti rugby. If Kidney picks Boss, Reddan, TOL or Murray it just won't matter. They'll all be asked to box kick the leather off the ball and none of them are particularly good at it.

That goes for most of the players across the park. The majority of the players are asked to play against their instincts with Kidney in charge. Thats the key to it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So very depressing. Whilst we were very bad, I think the 4 weeks on a trot finally took its toll. I haven't seen an Irish scrum that bad for a LONG time. Funny after all this talk of how our scrum is possible the only thing that was above par with them.

The unforced errors were ridiculous. For a team that plays their trade in a rain soaked country these guys looked allergic to a bit of water.

The coaching setup needs to take a good long hard look at itself and not the players. The fact our scrum could not even think of a perhaps 'underhand' way to disrupt England's scrum was laughable. Every team does it. We had no answer for it.

The bench was used in possibly the worst fashion I have ever seen. Okay, so there's plenty of debate for bringing ROG on and moving Sexton to 12 - so much debate that I won't actually discuss it and move straight onto the biggest reason we got butchered in the second half - Thomas O'Leary on for Reddan at 48 minutes. What a complete joke. TOL was absolutely shocking. He looked like he belonged in a schools cup game and it was his first senior game. But more to the point.. Why bring him on at all? Reddan was playing just fine and was picking out decent strike runners. We looked constantly threatening with the ball in the first half, but once TOL came on we looked lateral and predictable.

I have to say until the IRFU have a good shake up, especially in regards to head coach, we won't be competing with Wales, France or England next year. An absolute disgrace and dishonour to the quality of the pool of talent in Ireland right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

OK OK OK! That's what I get for trying to be a Scotland fan in Ireland, I guess! The "transition" had better be a good one ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

This was an embarrassing shambles today.

I am so sick and tired of listening to them talk like champions and deliver nothing but failure failure failure.

All this utter bilge about the weather and the rain is nothing but a pathetic excuse for being mental losers. The modern ball is sticky and well within the capability of professional players to handle with confidence.

This team of players were mentally beaten within 20 minutes and did not deserve to win anything this season. I was embarrassed and ashamed in front of the English visitors in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Before we call for a complete overhaul of this squad, we do have to factor in the loss of our captain, vice captain, a scrumhalf who would have reveled in this sort of encounter and our finest prop for the majority of the game, as well as two of the least confident performances i have ever seen in D'arcy and O'Leary, and most importantly this was the 4th game in 4 weeks.

In saying that Kidney is absolutely baffling sometimes, his substitutions seem to have been made 3 months in advance. As well as that this performance is the worst rugby effort I have ever seen(Granted Ive only really watched it for half a decade): Never have I seen a team who actually did not deserve to score; One of the stats during the game read "73 passes 16 errors", i.e 1 in 6 passes dropped.

In a logical world this is a death knell for DOC, TOL, D'Arcy and ROG but optimism is futile. However Ireland are far from a poor team and this game is not representative of our actual quality and I fully believe they will bounce back because we are good enough, showing it is just becoming increasingly rare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The only positive I can find is that dreadful displays against England in 2000 and 2008 proved to be watersheds for the international team. This can be too but it will take a little bit of guts from the IRFU to do the right thing and remove our GS winning coach. It was a bit easier with EOS because he didn't have that in his back pocket. But it has to be done for the sake of Irish rugby.

Advertisement