Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I just noticed Data smiles and grins a few times in the first half of Encounter at Farpoint, they cease after the Q encounter, it's almost as if someone told Spiner to stop.

Lore wise, it's probably just him approximating human behaviour. Remember he had a sneeze thing going for a while too, & the beard was hillarious.

In reality, the character was brand new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I was watching some season one TNG lately. Some of the episodes are quite good. I enjoyed Haven and We'll Always Have Paris. The conspiracy episode is great, and The Neutral Zone, while a bit directionless the 20th century humans make it worth watching. Some of them, like Symbiosis and Too Short a Season try their best to drive a moral message home with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

The uniforms in season one are a bit weird, but I noticed in particular some of the below uniforms in the background. Turns out these are skants, a one-piece skirt. Equality of the genders and all that, but they just seem like a hangover from TOS. But you'd think Starfleet of the future would go for gender neutrality, wouldn't there be species with different, more or no genders in the Federation?

Deanna_Troi%2C_Skant_Uniform.jpg
    Enterprise-D_lieutenant_in_skant.jpg

All things considered I think the guy has better legs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

EnterNow wrote: »
    Lore wise, it's probably just him approximating human behaviour. Remember he had a sneeze thing going for a while too, & the beard was hillarious.

In reality, the character was brand new

Probably the combination of being new and working out the kinks.

One of the smiles happens after Riker whistles the end of the tune Data was trying, can't remember what happened on the others. Interestingly in the next episode he gets effected by the drunk like effect and has a strange but funny chat with Picard before he falls down, not forgetting his time with Tasha Yar.
    I was watching some season one TNG lately. Some of the episodes are quite good. I enjoyed Haven and We'll Always Have Paris. The conspiracy episode is great, and The Neutral Zone, while a bit directionless the 20th century humans make it worth watching. Some of them, like Symbiosis and Too Short a Season try their best to drive a moral message home with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

The uniforms in season one are a bit weird, but I noticed in particular some of the below uniforms in the background. Turns out these are skants, or skirts. Equality of the genders and all that, but they just seem like a hangover from TOS. But you'd think Starfleet of the future would go for gender neutrality, wouldn't there be species with different, more or no genders in the Federation?

I noticed those odd dresses as well, very bad attempt at updating TOS with a modern look, then again teh full body suits they had later on weren't a whole load better.

Probably the combination of being new and working out the kinks.

One of the smiles happens after Riker whistles the end of the tune Data was trying, can't remember what happened on the others. Interestingly in the next episode he gets effected by the drunk like effect and has a strange but funny chat with Picard before he falls down, not forgetting his time with Tasha Yar.

I noticed those odd dresses as well, very bad attempt at updating TOS with a modern look, then again teh full body suits they had later on weren't a whole load better.

Apparently they had to wear muscle padding under those Spandex suits. They wore those yokes for two full seasons, even at the best of times they musn't have been comfortable to wear. Probably added more unneeded awkwardness to the show, and to some of the acting performances.

I also noticed in Justice, where they beam down for the first time looks a lot like Starfleet Academy. Those loincloth-type costumes seem a bit risqué at times. They look so scantily clad that any attempt at showing seriousness looks like a lost cause, personally.

In any case, that episode is probably the best show of Wesley's teenage awkwardness. I was feeling really sorry for Wesley, straight after the Edosian said "But you are a young one, I do not know your custom regarding love". They spent ages hugging the landing party, I'm surprised Worf didn't vomit in disgust :D

I also noticed in Justice, where they beam down for the first time looks a lot like Starfleet Academy. Those loincloth-type costumes seem a bit risqué at times. They look so scantily clad that any attempt at showing seriousness looks like a lost cause, personally.

In any case, that episode is probably the best show of Wesley's teenage awkwardness. I was feeling really sorry for Wesley, straight after the Edosian said "But you are a young one, I do not know your custom regarding love". They spent ages hugging the landing party, I'm surprised Worf didn't vomit in disgust :D

Now you bring it up the first building has a Starfleet Academy look to it.
    Costumes or lack of ;) a side even the actions of the natives is a bit strong for the likes of Star Trek let alone a family tv show. Worf is shown to like the situation, he has a funny look at Riker and says "Nice planet".

It's also the second episode that I've noticed a lack of future planning in regards to Worf, Riker says "When in Rome" and Worf answers "When in where sir?".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think I remember reading that one of the reasons the TNG costumes changed to two pieces was that the full body suit was causing Patrick Stewart some discomfort in his back or something. I can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was causing him to crouch a bit or hunch his shoulders and he couldn't fully stand straight up.

He did eventually stand out in his suede jacket compared to the others in their body suits.
    Something McFadden took up from the early episodes.

G-Money wrote: »
    I think I remember reading that one of the reasons the TNG costumes changed to two pieces was that the full body suit was causing Patrick Stewart some discomfort in his back or something. I can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was causing him to crouch a bit or hunch his shoulders and he couldn't fully stand straight up.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/02/to-boldly-go-where-no-one-has-gone-before-is-thought-to-have-been-inspired-by-a-line-from-a-white-house-pamphlet-on-space/
    • In the first two seasons of Star Trek, The Next Generation, you’ll notice that their uniforms are extremely tight. These uniforms were made of one-piece spandex. To make matters worse, the suits were intentionally sized too small so that they’d stretch extremely tightly over the actor’s bodies and not have any wrinkles. The actors hated them and eventually Patrick Stewart’s chiropractor told him that if he kept wearing them, it would cause real and possibly permanent damage to his spine. Hence, in season three, the uniforms were switched to being two-piece, less form fitting, and made of wool (obviously Counselor Troi still often wore tight Spandex, thankfully, as did many other guest cast members).
    • A byproduct of the switch to the two piece uniforms for main cast members was that the top piece had a tendency to ride up on the actors. This gave rise to Patrick Stewart developing the habit of pulling down the top piece of the uniform periodically. He did this so much, that it became known as “The Picard Maneuver”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Epilnogis

The uniforms in season one are a bit weird, but I noticed in particular some of the below uniforms in the background. Turns out these are skants, a one-piece skirt. Equality of the genders and all that, but they just seem like a hangover from TOS. But you'd think Starfleet of the future would go for gender neutrality, wouldn't there be species with different, more or no genders in the Federation?

Oh my. I can't say I appreciate these uniforms as much I did with the others. Were they just throwing pieces of clothing together to cut the costs? Wow, it's pretty weird indeed.

Just finished In A Mirror Darly 1 & 2 last night. Seriously cool Enterprise episodes, love the intro too.

Unfortunately, what remains is the brutal crazy kidnapper two parter which is crap, & the finale, which, is beyond crap.

To be fair to ENT, I've enjoyed every minute of it up to this point & don't want to taint the ending again, so I think I'll call it a day here. Yeah so for me, ENT ends with In a Mirror Darkly pt.2 :)

Now, Sliders, havn't watched that in ages ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I enjoyed them bringing Terra Prime into conon but it felt really rushed. It could have done with a few more episodes, especially with a bit more focus on the xenophobic tensions on Earth

I enjoyed them bringing Terra Prime into conon but it felt really rushed. It could have done with a few more episodes, especially with a bit more focus on the xenophobic tensions on Earth

After the exciting alt universe eps thougn, it's just a poor crescendo. Giant Martian lasers et all...ugh

Also how cool was the Defiant in the alt universe. Coming from an NX class, they really succeeded in making it seem huge in comparison. I tend to think of Connies as fairly small ships, spoiled by TNG etc. But its huge

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

when mr spock fell in love with
    charles bronson's wife in this side of paradise

we were all
    cheering,
    a wonderful episode.

:)

thinking myself, did'nt the elaan of troyius deserve
    that spanking kirk promised?

;)

i still fancy angelique pettyjohn myself. :cool:

PHOWARRR!!!

Having completed Enterprise [leaving out the finale is a better way to end the show], I was wondering what to watch next. I'd love to do a rerun of TNG, but it's still too soon. I know all the episodes inside out & back to front :(

I went straight into DS9. Surviving the painful enough opener, & the weak follow up, I then got to A Man Alone. Garak introduces himself to Bashir, the show just suddenly became alive. Robinson is an absolute master :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

one of my more painful memories in nerd life is going to a star trek convention in ucd or dcu as a child. bashir, kira and "some other guy" were there
    as theyw ere signing autographs I walked right by "some other guy" and got autographs from the other two, later I realised it was ****ing garak :/

--edit

on the plus side, gates mcfadden did sign my star trek encyclopedia at the first contact premier. I was too small to be seen in the crowd of fat sweaty nerds, so a helpful tall sweaty nerd lifted me up on his shoulders so she'd see me and sign

then of course I lost the bloody book

---edit
    actually since im baring my nerd soul here
    at the same convention at generic dublin university, there was a q&a session and I got to ask bashir a question. I asked him if he believed in aliens and the entire bloody lecture hall full of people groaned in disgust at me.
    mortified.

one of my more painful memories in nerd life is going to a star trek convention in ucd or dcu as a child. bashir, kira and "some other guy" were there
    as theyw ere signing autographs I walked right by "some other guy" and got autographs from the other two, later I realised it was ****ing garak :/

Awe no, suppose its a testament to the make up guys. Some of the actors look so different out of make up. Roxanne Dawson actually looks better in make up than out of it.

Out of all the DS9 cast to miss, would be kicking myself for a long long time.
    Roxanne Dawson actually looks better in make up than out of it.

Must have been the ridges :p

Must have been the ridges :p

Whatever it was...

r-dawson.jpg

2624353466_7561df3dba.jpg

i remember thinking that in the episode where the Vidians split her into two parts. First time that I had seen her without the makeup and was shocked that she looked better with it

• Advertisement

Having completed Enterprise [leaving out the finale is a better way to end the show], I was wondering what to watch next. I'd love to do a rerun of TNG, but it's still too soon. I know all the episodes inside out & back to front :(

I went straight into DS9. Surviving the painful enough opener, & the weak follow up, I then got to A Man Alone. Garak introduces himself to Bashir, the show just suddenly became alive. Robinson is an absolute master :cool:

It's a great DS9 episode. TNG takes much longer to get started imo. You go from a great opener, to an bad TOS-based episode (The Naked Now), to one of my personal worst episodes ever - Code of Honor. TNG gets going with The Battle, nine episodes in.
    I've wondered why Bashir had to grow another clone of Ibudan. Could he just have examined the cells, grew them a bit, claimed they were from a clone before passing the point where the growing lab experiment becomes a lifeform? I know the point where a growing Human/Bajoran/etc is considered a person is a topic of some debate, but it always felt like an unanswered ethical dilemma for me. Afaik, they just let the latest Ibudan clone walk out the Infirmary door.
    i remember thinking that in the episode where the Vidians split her into two parts. First time that I had seen her without the makeup and was shocked that she looked better with it

Her performance always struck me as more whiny and annoying, than an actual angry Klingon. Kahless help Tom Paris, that's all I'll say.

I've wondered why Bashir had to grow another clone of Ibudan. Could he just have examined the cells, grew them a bit, claimed they were from a clone before passing the point where the growing lab experiment becomes a lifeform? I know the point where a growing Human/Bajoran/etc is considered a person is a topic of some debate, but it always felt like an unanswered ethical dilemma for me. Afaik, they just let the latest Ibudan clone walk out the Infirmary door.

Not sure if spoilers are necessary, if someone here gets p1ssed over us ruining a nineteen year old Star Trek episode, then they only have themselves to blame frankly :p

But yeah your spot on, the issue wasn't even raised in the episode. I know Bashir didn't know what it was for a time, then discovered it was humanoid, then discovered it was a clone of Ibudan. He said "In three days, the clone will be come conscious...." So in my mind that would have been the ideal time to 'terminate' the clone as it wasn't even self aware etc. But they let it grow, & towards the end of the episode it was mentioned the clone became a member of Bajoran society or something.

Gloss city.

Researchers at Microsoft are working on a universal translator that will take the user's voice and translate his/her words into another language without altering the actual voice. Applications for this software tool should be obvious: making languages easier to learn and more personal, to help visitors relate to locals in other countries without having to flip through books and stumble over pronunciations, and more.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Star-Trek-Universal-Translator-Microsoft-Frank-Soong-Microsoft-Research-Asia,news-14433.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anyone who has ever tried to translate korean to english using google translate will pause before rushing to use this device chatting up korean women

It's a great DS9 episode. TNG takes much longer to get started imo. You go from a great opener, to an bad TOS-based episode (The Naked Now), to one of my personal worst episodes ever - Code of Honor. TNG gets going with The Battle, nine episodes in.

I forgot the only gem in that horrible, horrible episode:
    Data: What Lutan did is similar to what certain American Indians once did called 'counting coup'. That is from an obscure language known as French. Counting coup...
    Picard: Mr. Data. The French language, for centuries on Earth, represented civilization.
    Data: Indeed? But surely, sir...
    Riker: [sotto voce] I suggest you drop it, Mr. Data.
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Whatever it was...

r-dawson.jpg

She looks very like Alyssa Milano in that pic... an older less photoshopped version perhaps :p

Yeah she could be her aunt or some relation like that the looks are so similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I think Starfleet ought to rethink their policy of fabricating all computer interface consoles out of explosives. I bet those things have killed more Starfleet personnel than the Borg and the Dominion put together.

Just watched 'Trekkies' on Netflix. I've seen it before a couple of times, but good god its more embarrassing to watch each time.

• Advertisement

Goldstein wrote: »
    I think Starfleet ought to rethink their policy of fabricating all computer interface consoles out of explosives. I bet those things have killed more Starfleet personnel than the Borg and the Dominion put together.

I guess that surge protectors and general fuses are illegal in the 24th

Advertisement