Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now, I have the 21" Philips installed, on it's side, in the gamesroom.
    Now, when I say "installed" it's balancing there, with the rear of the tube against the wall, waiting for the first breeze to knock it to the floor...
    How on earth do I go about securing it?
    I can't leave it like that or She Who Must Be Obeyed will have a fit!

Blu tak? Reams of cellotape? Glue? The possibilities are endless really

screencap.gumproast02.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

No don't get anything for sera! That hoe owes me child support!

Put away the whiskey and the floor polish!

Never! *guzzle*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It may be treacherous but it is great, all that shooty goodness...
    Now to buy a couple of plasmas and chain them so I can play Darius properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now, I have the 21" Philips installed, on it's side, in the gamesroom.
    Now, when I say "installed" it's balancing there, with the rear of the tube against the wall, waiting for the first breeze to knock it to the floor...
    How on earth do I go about securing it?
    I can't leave it like that or She Who Must Be Obeyed will have a fit!

Oh, XIIStag looks the business on it, as does Raiden III, which is nice!

Maybe some Sugru to secure it. Can be shaped and set like blutac but cures solid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why do people bid so early on ebay items? WHY???!!!
    Because an "unclaimed" dirt cheap game sale looks so appealing?
    While we're at it anyone fancy going through the whys and hows of sniping?
    3rd party sites any use? The ould wait until the last second and stick bids in never seems to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Dr Bob wrote: »
    3rd party sites any use? The ould wait until the last second and stick bids in never seems to work

I rarely can be arsed with sniping and try to avoid the whole frenzied auctioning thing. I used to get out-snipped (which is annoying) so now I see something and place the highest I've willing to pay and leave it at that.

Win some, lose some.. Won a Jaguar last night that I placed a bid on Friday and to be honest had kind of forgotten about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dr Bob wrote: »

There are a few simple facts which can't really be argued with.

1. If it's a desirable item and you bid really early, this bid will not win. Ever. It is 100% completely and utterly pointless- if you do this and put a high amount on, some tool will bid it all the way up to near/exceeding your proxy.

2. Bids attract bids. I've tested out this theory and can 100% put it down as fact.
    I've watched items end without any bids. Be relisted. End without any bids - put a bid down early and what do you know, someone else bids.

By bidding you are telling other people 'yes, this item is worth money'. An item without any bids gives the impression that it's not worth anything as nobody is bidding.

3. To really secure the item, your proxy bid has to be a good deal higher than the current price. You won't always win as other people snipe too, but you can't just throw down the next increment or a little above it in the last few seconds and expect to win either.

4. Make sure you set your maximum proxy and STICK to it. Don't go higher. If the auction goes higher - it's not for you. There'll be another one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah O1s1n,
    The Ebay Guru...
    1479734-games_guru_gamezville_super.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    There are a few simple facts which can't really be argued with.

1. If it's a desirable item and you bid really early, this bid will not win. Ever. It is 100% completely and utterly pointless- if you do this and put a high amount on, some tool will bid it all the way up to near/exceeding your proxy.

2. Bids attract bids. I've tested out this theory and can 100% put it down as fact.
    I've watched items end without any bids. Be relisted. End without any bids - put a bid down early and what do you know, someone else bids.

By bidding you are telling other people 'yes, this item is worth money'. An item without any bids gives the impression that it's not worth anything as nobody is bidding.

3. To really secure the item, your proxy bid has to be a good deal higher than the current price. You won't always win as other people snipe too, but you can't just throw down the next increment or a little above it in the last few seconds and expect to win either.

4. Make sure you set your maximum proxy and STICK to it. Don't go higher. If the auction goes higher - it's not for you. There'll be another one.

This man made me the sniper I am today....thank you sir

Faceoff%20Sniper%20Cage.jpg

* BTW I'm Nicolas Cage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Plan A: in getting retro goodies for cheap

We convince retro buyers worldwide to stop bidding, perceived lack of demand prompts sellers (the no good rascals out tomake a quick buck) to drop their prices to clear their stocks.
    Once this happens we all go out and take ebay by storm buying stuff for peanuts. Once the rest of the retro guys worldwide cop on to our sneaky tactic, we all have our wants.

Downside - The Arcade & Retro posters will be pariahs in the retro gaming scene
    Upside - Don't busy playing around with our arcade cabs, sniffing games, posting in the recently purchased thread backlog, figuring out where to store it all, disconnecting scarts from our fabulous CRTs, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone see the new Halo 4 announcements? Yawn is my only reaction. Had to laugh about the art guys get worked up as well.

As for bidding on ebay, snipe for be a chump, it's the only rule to live by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

koma-comic-strip-uhhh-thanks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A 1983 C64 hooked up to a 1983 C64 monitor is a thing of pure 8bit joy.

I got my C64 monitor cable today and it works perfectly with the luma and chroma inputs on the monitor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

WXm0D.png

Just so you all know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like Trails in the Sky 2 and 3 are pretty much confirmed for PC then I'd say. The XSeed guy on HG101 was saying how they don't see how they could release the games on PSP without it being commercial suicide but love the games so much that they want to get them out there and he mentioned they were considering a PC release.

Apparently Trails 2 is so full of content and text that it's taking a long time to translate. I don't care what platform Trails 2 and 3 get released on, I just hope they get released, and hurry up with Ys 4 remake!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Anyone here picking up Mass Effect 3?

Looks like they're forcing you to play multiplayer if you want to get a good ending and I hate everyone on xbox live... anyone here up for co-op?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I would but i need to beat the other 2 first. SSX is keeping me playing the xbox at the moment aswell

Are GBA games region specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Are GBA games region specific?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Speaking of which, when I was looking for the AES PSU the other day I came across my GBA Micro under the bed. Still holding a charge, 10 or so months later!

I'd completely forgotten that I picked up a flash cart for that a while back. It's one of those things you should always have in your coat pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DinoRex wrote: »
    Anyone here picking up Mass Effect 3?

Looks like they're forcing you to play multiplayer if you want to get a good ending and I hate everyone on xbox live... anyone here up for co-op?

Yeah, I'll be picking it up. Although I could have sworn that they said the good ending would not require multiplayer a while back. Boo-urns if so.

The whole 'readyness meter' gimmick is moderately interesting, although shouldn't affect those who want to get through the game solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

http://grantgalitz.org/gamecenter/

JavaScript/HTML5 GameBoy Color emulator in a browser :D

Yeah, I'll be picking it up. Although I could have sworn that they said the good ending would not require multiplayer a while back. Boo-urns if so.

The whole 'readyness meter' gimmick is moderately interesting, although shouldn't affect those who want to get through the game solo.

According to Rock Paper Shotgun:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/06/a-mass-effect-3-psa-multiplayer-affects-the-ending/

(No spoilers)

I was interested in Mass Effect 3 but if they force you to play online then I'm weary of it because I'm not paying for Xbox Live since I never use it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was interested in Mass Effect 3 but if they force you to play online then I'm weary of it because I'm not paying for Xbox Live since I never use it.

You also have to use Origin.

Well my save game I've carried through the last two games is on my Xbox so I can't really go PC as much as I'd like to.

Maybe I'll wait until it drops like a bomb to 10 euros like the last game did.

No I mean you still have to sign up to Origin even on the Xbox.

Also it won't recognise your save game from the previous games if you've saved via the cloud.

Are GBA carts as plagued with repros as say DS? Anything to watch for when buying them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In fairness EA games for the last few years have required an EA account, it isn't affected by Gold membership or whatever.

Still, fairly dodgy MP component requirement when the series has been single player to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Are GBA carts as plagued with repros as say DS? Anything to watch for when buying them?

Yes,
    Pokemon and any Mario game if bought on Ebay should be viewed with sceptisism as most seem to be fakes.

Even I got stung once:(

Make sure you get PAL as a lot of JNTC and NTC seem to be repros. the one I got was a US mario game and even the sticker was a shít copy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement