Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It is beyond time now that O'connell has the captaincy removed from him. HIs abilities as a player are unquestioned and leadership of the pack.

But as a team captain he is falling down again and again and again. He has no tactical nouse. He is totally incapable of changing tactics in mid game.

The second half was flowing away form us but we backed off again and again and again and the he failed to respond by steering the team back on track.

He talks the talk like so many Irish players but it all ends up the same.

WE LOSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Piliger wrote: »
    It is beyond time now that O'connell has the captaincy removed from him. HIs abilities as a player are unquestioned and leadership of the pack.

But as a team captain he is falling down again and again and again. He has no tactical nouse. He is totally incapable of changing tactics in mid game.

The second half was flowing away form us but we backed off again and again and again and the he failed to respond by steering the team back on track.

WE LOSE.

You make it sound as though we regularly win in Paris...

Edit: +1 to the next post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

WE LOSE.

good god I hate match-day threads

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

Missed match, is anyone showing it later?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Beubeu wrote: »
    biarritz's supporters are quiter lately ;)

Haha. I don't doubt they have. I wonder what would happen here if one of our provinces' fortunes went the same way?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

molloyjh wrote: »
    The provincial tribal behaviour does get old fast. Most of us support Ireland and our provinces, and can separate the two. A small number support "their" players within the Irish team. It's frustrating but it's inevitable. And no one province has a monopoly on it.

This is very true, Ireland first, then your province. Only idiots put provincial rivalries above national interests.
    Speaking of which, when england play what do you see, White & St George cross, scots in Navy(ish) & st andrews, the Welsh in red & their dragons & leeks, Italians in blue & the irish in green.

Now the french, what do they show up in???
    Catalan, basque, breton, corse, midi pyreenees, alsacien & I could go on. french flags? well they are waved by the non rugby fans, the "tourists" if you like.
    its not for nothing that in the French language they say
    "on a gagne" ou "ils ont perdu" when talking about the FFR XV

Ils retourne leur veste, toujours du bon cote :D a bon entendre ;)

we have the same in france with clermont and toulouse supporters, biarritz's supporters are quiter lately ;)

you have the same in france with all spectators comme dixit Chabal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

WE LOSE.

Lulz. Where was the leadership from anybody else in the second half. Where was sexton to man up and take a DG. Where were Murray or redden to tell him to do so.

Get outta that ya scut.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beubeu

4PP wrote: »
    molloyjh wrote: »
    The provincial tribal behaviour does get old fast. Most of us support Ireland and our provinces, and can separate the two. A small number support "their" players within the Irish team. It's frustrating but it's inevitable. And no one province has a monopoly on it.

This is very true, Ireland first, then your province. Only idiots put provincial rivalries above national interests.
    Speaking of which, when england play what do you see, White & St George cross, scots in Navy(ish) & st andrews, the Welsh in red & their dragons & leeks, Italians in blue & the irish in green.

Catalan, basque, breton, corse, midi pyreenees, alsacien & I could go on. french flags? well they are waved by the non rugby fans, the "tourists" if you like.

Not true at all. if they didnt care about les bleus why would they travel6-900km in Paris ? the flags so what?! catalan and basques flags are not in support of some players on the pitch. dont forget that rugby is mostly a SW buisness so its normal that you have SW bands and flags in the stadium. of couse you have some idiots but the majority are supporting France.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Why am I an idiot for putting Leinster above Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

In my earlier post I forgot to mention the MOTM, last week Sexton got it and I thought it should have been Kearney, this week Bowe got it (for scoring 2 tries) and I thought Kearney or Sexton should have got it, both were immense today with few enough errors.

Some interesting stats from the game, we played in their 22 for 11% of game time while they were in our 22 for only 8%. We lost possession 17 times they lost it 15 times. We had 8 handling errors to 1 from them.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Why am I an idiot for putting Leinster above Ireland?
    The answer lies in your question ;)

we have the same in france with clermont and toulouse supporters, biarritz's supporters are quiter lately ;)

you have the same in france with all spectators comme dixit Chabal!!
    Chabal was just a marketing success. i dont understand the link between chabal crazyness and what i said about ROG and Sexton

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

Look I know this sounds petty, but when you put in a foreign language in a post like that please put a translation after, I know i'm not the only one who had to google translate that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

phog wrote: »
    In my earlier post I forgot to mention the MOTM, last week Sexton got it and I thought it should have been Kearney, this week Bowe got it (for scoring 2 tries) and I thought Kearney or Sexton should have got it, both were immense today with few enough errors.

Some interesting stats from the game, we played in their 22 for 11% of game time while they were in our 22 for only 8%. We lost possession 17 times they lost it 15 times. We had 8 handling errors to 1 from them.

Kearney was outstanding today again, should have got MotM. Sexton didn't have a strong enough 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

chancer12 wrote: »
    Missed match, is anyone showing it later?

Setanta @ 2100.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

And lost somewhere within those 8 handling errors are the points that would have won us the game. We were never going to get too many chances to score in that second half. Every opportunity needs to be seized in such a tight game.

Cant believe I predicted the right score.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

next time will you go for a win :D

Not true at all. if they didnt care about les bleus why would they travel6-900km in Paris ? the flags so what?! catalan and basques flags are not in support of some players on the pitch. dont forget that rugby is mostly a SW buisness so its normal that you have SW bands and flags in the stadium. of couse you have some idiots but the majority are supporting France.

Just goes to show that in France what counts is in the following order......village/county/region/ and by all means last..........country

This is due to france not being a republic but an empire despite what it says on the tin.

Of course all the guys & gals with the catalan/basque etc flags support les bleus (as long as they are winning mind ) but they still feel the need to place themselves apart "en cas ou" the national team loses. Then they can say it wasn't us, it was them, hence "on a gagne/ ils ont perdu!"

Don't pretend not to understand, c'est la vie ;)

• Advertisement

The answer lies in your question ;)

Personally I care more about Munster than Ireland, but that doesn't mean I'm tribalistic when it comes to Ireland.

I go to more Munster games and see them training more regularly so I feel a closer affinity to Munster than I would Ireland. I would say this is the case for a lot of Irish rugby fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Did you have a few quid on in? Hope so!

Zero. Was just at kick off, decided to put it on here...but not paddypower.

Wonder what odds I would have got.

JoeyDoh wrote: »
    Look I know this sounds petty, but when you put in a foreign language in a post like that please put a translation after, I know i'm not the only one who had to google translate that"

fair point, even though I thought it was pretty basic :o

On a gagne (We have won) ils ont perdu (They have lost)

sorry 'bout that ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Zero. Was just at kick off, decided to put it on here...but not paddypower.

Wonder what odds I would have got.

Not sure but the payout would probably have been a majority stakeholding in paddtpower. :p

Just goes to show that in France what counts is in the following order......village/county/region/ and by all means last..........country

This is due to france not being a republic but an empire despite what it says on the tin.

Of course all the guys & gals with the catalan/basque etc flags support les bleus (as long as they are winning mind ) but they still feel the need to place themselves apart "en cas ou" the national team loses. Then they can say it wasn't us, it was them, hence "on a gagne/ ils ont perdu!"

Don't pretend not to understand, c'est la vie ;)
    ??? i was just saying that some supporter will support some players because they play for their local team (exemple: some Munster supporter dont like Sexton). same in France with Toulouse and Clermont. Didnt know i ll get a story about french relationship with the state (completly out of subject by the way)
    some supporters turns their back to the team if they are losing. They are bandwagonners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

This Irish team and teams of the past lack self belief. Come on we were 17-6 ahead at half time and we still can't win. If that was Wales they would be full of confidence and would blow France away in the 2nd half. Time to bring back someone like Gatland into the Irish setup. He got a raw deal when he was with Ireland. We would be confident anyway for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

Yeah Gatland would jump ship no bother, it's not like Wales are going anywhere, no potential there whatsoever :rolleyes:

Gatland is contracted to Wales until 2015 and I highly doubt he would come back to the union that he feels backstabbed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

Ah so close! But if asked would I take a draw in France before kick off...
    A lot of players stood up today. I thought Murray was poor last week but responded well and was a lot better today, hopefully his injury isn't to bad. If he's out I'd like to see Marshall brought in for experience. Kearney was excellent again, great to see him in this form. We were unlucky for the try, Earls should have jumped on it but these things happen. Good to see the bench emptied, but felt the subs didn't have the same impact as last week. We can't win it now so it would be good to see players getting experience and trying out a few things :)

Advertisement