Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

vixdname wrote: »
    I bet you werent saying that when ROG scored that fantastic drop goal that won us the Grandslam a short time back, eaten bread is soon forgotten

Eh the Grand Slam was 3 years ago?

What has that got to with anything I've said?

We've seen what happens when ROG starts. He hits the corner and kicks his goals.

The opposition then target his channel because he's a waek defender. They break the gainline and then start again.

I'm not knocking ROG. The man has been a great player for Ireland and Munster for years. But he's 34 now and won't be around for much longer. We've already seen that he's not as good as he once was. Sexton needs to play because he'll be our only immediate option once ROG is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

twinytwo wrote: »
    But you are making the assumption that he is the reason we lost... which he was not.

No the reason we lose those games is the gameplan, which is based around his kicking game.

Or else its just a massive coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I bet you werent saying that when ROG scored that fantastic drop goal that won us the Grandslam a short time back, eaten bread is soon forgotten

Yeah a short time ago, 3 years ago. Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭vixdname

Clegg wrote: »
    Eh the Grand Slam was 3 years ago?

What has that got to with anything I've said?

Go back and read the past posts

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Disappointed we didn't win but in the context of the championship a draw is much worse for France than it is for us. Plus I thought Ireland would lose by at least 10 so tbh I can't complain. What annoys me is how Ireland didn't score in the second half despite having enough possession and territory.

Pearson is disgracefully bad, how Healy wasn't binned for being a lazy runner in the first half I'll never know. A few poor penalty decisions too.

Also, I love you Tommy Bowe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

What did Trimble do today?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Leinster7 wrote: »
    GerM wrote: »
    Muttering to himself as he walks off isn't precisely hiring a billboard to publicly air his views. He was p*ssed off at being taken off. He muttered "F*ck sake" as he walked off. Not like he looked over, caught the camera looking at him and said it to the camera. I would say the exact same thing happened about a dozen times this weekend in the Pro12. Big whoop.

I'm not surprised. The players are fed up with Deccie too. After he told them to play his 'Territory' game 2nd half they came out looking deflated. Do you blame 'em?

Yeah puzzling tactics the conditions were absolutely perfect for an expansive running game in that second half after all.

Or possibly you are just not a good body language reader.

bleg wrote: »
    What did Trimble do today?

Bashed Clerc and Poitrenau.

Nothing else much though

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beubeu

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's amazing how not one bit of this post is true. (unless you're name isn't actually Declan)

If you could give me an example of one game we lost by Sexton missing a kick I'd be very appreciative.

I'm not saying we lost games solely because of sexton, what I'm saying is is that Sexton is more consistently making hashes of what would be considered easy scores then anyone else, compare him to ROG, Kidney consistently puts Sexton on early in matches and ends up putting in O'Gara to try and mop up some of the ****e that been left for him in the second half.
    Dont try and tell me you've never seen this ? Or are you one of the Johnny Sexton fans that wear blinkers and thinks he can do no wrong

Wow. Simply just wow. I really have no idea where to start with this one.

You've obviously a fairly limited grasp of the game and/or several pairs of red tinted glasses on. Johnny was excellent today. Damn near MOTM performance. His kick didn't stop us going in at half time 10 points up or scoring 2 tries to 1. His defence was outstanding and his up and unders were, IIRC, all contestable. Yet 1 missed kick early in the game earns him this!?

A couple of weeks ago Dan Parks retired from international rugby. The guy was giving it his all but the Scottish fans got on his back and were so abusive to him he decided it wasn't worth it. It was pretty pathetic behaviour from the Scots all told. These kinds of posts are the Irish equivalent. I just hope comments like these remain very much in the minority here. He honestly could sh1t a gold brick and people here would find something to complain about or believe ROG could sh1t a better one.
    I never understood that war about ROG and Sexton. Fair enough people can support Munster or Leinster but today Irelans was playing. Sexton made some bad kicks in the past but today he was good on the pitch. when he has the ball and when he tackles Sexton is waaayyy better than ROG. We all know ROG is a wonderfull kicker but he is 35! Somtimes when I hear Some Munster supporter i feel like they understand rugby with the american football rules, when the kickers comes on the pitch, kick and go to the banch. fyi im not a Leinster supporter, not even Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭EmeraldNK

Bashed Clerc and Poitrenau.

Nothing else much though

Agreed, not his best game today at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

marco_polo wrote: »
    Yeah puzzling tactics the conditions were absolutely perfect for an expansive running game in that second half after all.

Or possibly you are just not a good body language reader.

Yeh, the Kiwis, Aussies and French always employ a good kicking for territory game when the 'conditions' dictate it. Its just how modern rugby should be played really. Well done.

Beubeu wrote: »
    I never understood that war about ROG and Sexton. Fair enough people can support Munster or Leinster but today Irelans was playing. Sexton made some bad kicks in the past but today he was good on the pitch. when he has the ball and when he tackles Sexton is waaayyy better than ROG. We all know ROG is a wonderfull kicker but he is 35! Somtimes when I hear Some Munster supporter i feel like they understand rugby with the american football rules, when the kickers comes on the pitch, kick and go to the banch. fyi im not a Leinster supporter, not even Irish

ROFL?

Yeh, the Kiwis, Aussies and French always employ a good kicking for territory game when the 'conditions' dictate it. Its just how modern rugby should be played really. Well done.

The Aussies and the Kiwis rarely ever have to deal with such conditions, therefore they rarely play such a strategy...

EmeraldNK wrote: »
    The Aussies and the Kiwis rarely ever have to deal with such conditions, therefore they rarely play such a strategy...

are you mental? (I love you even if you are mental)...oh wait. I forgot. it NEVER rains in Oz or NZ ...silly me. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

You must be joking? eek.gif

It rains plenty in NZ. The annual rainfaill in Auckland is nearly twice that of Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭twinytwo

just remember thomond park in the wind and the rain, they went home after 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

WHat a lot of the sexton bashers/ROG fans are forgetting here is that ROGs fitness is not what it once was, he also doesn't have the ground ball game that sexton has and you may very well find that this may be his last international season.

when you've big hitters out there like the french the only thing that ROG can bring to the game is consistent kicking.

also sexton's kick at the start of the match wasn't bread and butter stuff, it was straight but a long way out into a strong headwind. the french missed more but yet sexton comes out worse?

sexton had MoM last week, and was damn near close to MoM today IMO, i think kearney deserved it and i think Bowe did too but the two tries brought it his way.

bleg wrote: »
    yes you re right but come on Ireland and Munster, have mastered this for years!
    Still Ireland should have won today.

Remember Wayne Barnes when munster played montauban? If the same rules emphasis was in place today then we would have had 15 extra penalties. The amount of times dusatoir went in off his feet and sealed off was ridiculous.

It's probably the most infuriating thing about rugby: "this year we are going to put emphasis on this law and forget about last year's".
    today u are absolutly right, what about Munster in the 2008's Hcup final? The refs are so inconsistent and thats killing rugby slowly im afraid

are you mental? (I love you even if you are mental)...oh wait. I forgot. it NEVER rains in Oz or NZ ...silly me. Well done.

Never? Is that what I said? Cos I could have sworn I said rarely...

Never? Is that what I said? Cos I could have sworn I said rarely...

It rains in NZ all the time... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭twinytwo

people blaming sexton need to grow a pair, kickers will miss kicks it happens... sometimes they miss the easing ones and sometimes they score the impossible ones.

The game being drawn today had nothing to with sexton or murray for that matter.

Have you been in NewZealand! It s raining and its very windy (check on youtube that wonderfull penalty from Dan Carter)

today u are absolutly right, what about Munster in the 2008's Hcup final? The refs are so inconsistent and thats killing rugby slowly im afraid
    Munster in 2008 is why they changed the rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

twinytwo wrote: »
    people blaming sexton need to grow a pair, kickers will miss kicks it happens... sometimes they miss the easing ones and sometimes they score the impossible ones.

The game being drawn today had nothing to with sexton or murray for that matter.

The match might have had a fairly different complexion at half time if not for his remarkable defensive performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,036 ✭✭✭✭phog

Higher wrote: »
    ffs Murray

The ref got it wrong, the scrum was moving.
    Rare miss from Parra.

According to @ruckingoodstats on twitter it was s similar miss to his w/cup miss that cost France the W/Cup
    Higher wrote: »
    AGHHHH EARLS if you just picked that up instead of trying to kick it!

Darcy should have claimed it first then it was Earls who should have dived on it.
    For people saying Pearson was harsh to Ireland keep in mind we should have been down to 13 when we scored our second try.

He's never one sided, he's blind in both eyes.

That's about the only favour he did us, Sexton was nailed late and no penalty was awarded and it was in a prime position and late in the game.
    Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Anyone notice SOB giving out about being taken off? Not nice to see

I'm delighted, that's what I want to see, a player thinking why me, hopefully we''ll see am improved SOB next time.
    MungBean wrote: »
    Earls was ok but he's just not a 13, he doesnt have the head for it. Hacking at the loose ball cost us 7 points. He scuppered a couple chances by being so selfish, he seems blind to the options around him when he has ball in hand. Thought his defence was ok though, so we are where we have always been with him I think. He'll do a job, a job filling the spot while Drico is out and a job holding back real 13's from coming onto the international stage.

Very harsh on Earls, Darcy was as much responsible for the loose ball as Earls, neither covered themsleves in glory at the time. He made his tackles something which some here said he wouldn't, in fact most predicted he'd have a mare against Rougerie, how wrong they were. He received a terrible ball and still managed to give a sublime pass to Bowe for his 2nd try.

When leading 6- 17 at halftime it was hugely important for us to score early in the 2nd half just to keep the points difference ticking over but we gifted them possession and terriorty with our errors. In the 2nd half alone had 2 scrums and they had 7, we coughed up 2 or 3 of our lineouts in all the times we kicked the ball away (including restarts) we won it twice, Kearney's being spectacular.

I think the team will see this a loss after such a good start today.

PS I hope Murray is not out for too long, hate to see a player going down injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The provincial tribal behaviour does get old fast. Most of us support Ireland and our provinces, and can separate the two. A small number support "their" players within the Irish team. It's frustrating but it's inevitable. And no one province has a monopoly on it.

Munster in 2008 is why they changed the rules!
    but the refs are inconsistent. the Irb should do something and help the ref. yellow card should be shown more often

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

danthefan wrote: »
    The match might have had a fairly different complexion at half time if not for his remarkable defensive performance.

Absolutely right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Go back and read the past posts

All you're doing is falling back on the "But sure he kicked a drop goal" excuse. That was 3 years ago and he's not as good as he once was. He gets targeted mercilessly by the oppo when he's on the pitch.

It's clear that he won't be around for much longer. Sexton had a good game today.The calls for him to be dropped are daft.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »

The provincial tribal behaviour does get old fast. Most of us support Ireland and our provinces, and can separate the two. A small number support "their" players within the Irish team. It's frustrating but it's inevitable. And no one province has a monopoly on it.
    we have the same in france with clermont and toulouse supporters, biarritz's supporters are quiter lately ;)

Advertisement