Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd be more inclined to believe that it's the whole backs against the wall thing. Kidney seems to get the lads playing well in those situations and can't in any other. And our backs were to the wall going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

rrpc wrote: »
    It looked like it bent laterally rather than hyper extended. More like what happened to Contepomi back in 2009.

Hope it recovers quickly.

Medial collateral ligament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭vixdname

It's amazing how not one bit of this post is true. (unless you're name isn't actually Declan)

If you could give me an example of one game we lost by Sexton missing a kick I'd be very appreciative.

I'm not saying we lost games solely because of sexton, what I'm saying is is that Sexton is more consistently making hashes of what would be considered easy scores then anyone else, compare him to ROG, Kidney consistently puts Sexton on early in matches and ends up putting in O'Gara to try and mop up some of the ****e that been left for him in the second half.
    Dont try and tell me you've never seen this ? Or are you one of the Johnny Sexton fans that wear blinkers and thinks he can do no wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭EmeraldNK

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to believe that it's the whole backs against the wall thing. Kidney seems to get the lads playing well in those situations and can't in any other. And our backs were to the wall going in.

Pity it still can't buy him a performance worth 80 minutes though...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

those bashing Sexton need their heads checked. He is playing a mostly outdated ****e style of 'territory' rugby for Ireland thanks to DK when his natural game is to run with ball in hand, which we ALL want to see....and when we do see it we score tries.

• Advertisement

vixdname wrote: »
    I'm not saying we lost games solely because of sexton, what I'm saying is is that Sexton is more consistently making hashes of what would be considered easy scores then anyone else, compare him to ROG, Kidney consistently puts Sexton on early in matches and ends up putting in O'Gara to try and mop up some of the ****e that been left for him in the second half.
    Dont try and tell me you've never seen this ? Or are you one of the Johnny Sexton fans that wear blinkers and thinks he can do no wrong

Has Sexton cost us any games?

Ever?

Simple question

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

By the way. If what the French were doing today was not sealing off, I do not know what is. Complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think that tells me more about you than it does about anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

GerM wrote: »
    Muttering to himself as he walks off isn't precisely hiring a billboard to publicly air his views. He was p*ssed off at being taken off. He muttered "F*ck sake" as he walked off. Not like he looked over, caught the camera looking at him and said it to the camera. I would say the exact same thing happened about a dozen times this weekend in the Pro12. Big whoop.

Ya probably an overreaction on my part tbh. Saw it again there

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Leinster7 wrote: »
    an improvement on what exactly? sh*te rugby? nice one.

What more can you ask of him??? regardless of how theyve played recently all you can ask is for improvement. He brought about improvement. He gets criticized when they play badly and when they improve people say how its less than expected anyway. He's doing the job the way he thinks it should be done. Every coach is different. This is the one the IRFU hired.

• Advertisement

those bashing Sexton need their heads checked. He is playing a mostly outdated ****e style of 'territory' rugby for Ireland thanks to DK when his natural game is to run with ball in hand, which we ALL want to see....and when we do see it we score tries.

Agreed. However an international fly half has to send over penalties in front of the posts. His miss was unbelievably atrocious. Bread and butter stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beubeu

bm1993 wrote: »
    Thought Kearney was outrageously good. One of the best individual performances by an Irish player I've ever seen, best since BOD v Eng in 2009 anyway.

Bowe outstanding as well, magnificient try. Ferris was sublime. The man is a wrecking ball some of his hits were phenomenal. Ross and Sexton were very good as well but I was disappointed with Trimble and D'Arcy.
    Kerney was superb! IMO he would have deserved the Man of the match award.
    As a french supporter i am very disapointed about the overall perf from France. Trin Duc and Para didnt play well at all.
    The Irish played really well and if they were able to play at that level more often they will be able to win the tournament. The only bad impresion that i have of your team is Paul OConnel (not the only one but he is the most obvious one) being slow on the ground and offside. he has been doing that for years with Munster and I am absolutly amazed that he gets away with it. dont get me wrong he is a wonderfull playrer so dont kill Munster ' supporter its only my opinion and tonight Ireland should have won anyway.

Tox56 wrote: »
    I have a feeling you dislike Sexton.

Not at all, Johnny puts his body on the line every game, no doubt about it, he is a great player but STILL too inconsistent.
    He'll score from angles that other men wouldnt but when it comes to taking shots that would be classed as easy by other professionals he has a habit of messing them up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

An outhalf has to have much more to their game then just having a nice boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The problem with these kind of posts is that it always degenerates into Leinster Munster ****fights. Why can't you just say that Sexton had a good game and leave it at that?

Maybe ROG would have put that kick over but he most certainly wouldn't have made the tackles Sexton did today. We get different things from our fly halves. With Sexton we get a running threat and solid defence. With ROG we get more assured kicking but our midfield defence is greatly reduced.

Also, the last 10 matches that ROG has started against top 8 opposition in the world, Ireland have lost. ROG is a decent option to have from the bench but thats that.

Has Sexton cost us any games?

Ever?

Simple question

Read my post again, the answers there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I'm not surprised. The players are fed up with Deccie too. After he told them to play his 'Territory' game 2nd half they came out looking deflated. Do you blame 'em?

There was also nothing stopping paulie telling the team to keep doing what they were doing... forget territory and go out and smash them.

Today was the day for beating the french...

bleg wrote: »
    Agreed. However an international fly half has to send over penalties in front of the posts. His miss was unbelievably atrocious. Bread and butter stuff.

Correct

And Heaslip's knock on should have bread and butter stuff
    And Earls diving on the ball should have been bread and butter stuff
    And Best's lineouts should have been bread and butter stuff
    And D'Arcy's attempted pass should have been bread and butter stuff.

Unforced errors happen. Trying to pin entire results on them is beyond strange.

If Sexton had no kicking duties, he would have been commended massively for his defensive performance an ability to speed up our backline today.

He's gotten 10/12 for the last two games. Not flawless, but incredibly, neither has out lineout play been, we haven't held every pass, and we haven't made every tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Clegg wrote: »
    The problem with these kind of posts is that it always degenerates into Leinster Munster ****fights. Why can't you just say that Sexton had a good game and leave it at that?

Maybe ROG would have put that kick over but he most certainly wouldn't have made the tackles Sexton did today. We get different things from our fly halves. With Sexton we get a running threat and solid defence. With ROG we get more assured kicking but our midfield defence is greatly reduced.

Also, the last 10 matches that ROG has started against top 8 opposition in the world, Ireland have lost. ROG is a decent option to have from the bench but thats that.

But you are making the assumption that he is the reason we lost... which he was not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Medial collateral ligament?

Looked like a dislocated kneecap to me. He'd a lump in his knee in the wrong spot and when the physio came on it looked like he tried to push it back in and then called for a stretcher.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    An outhalf has to have much more to their game then just having a nice boot.

I don't think anybody disagrees with you. However it is a good start. Not much point being an international fly half if you can't take rugby equivalents of gimmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beubeu

bleg wrote: »
    By the way. If what the French were doing today was not sealing off, I do not know what is. Complete joke.
    yes you re right but come on Ireland and Munster, have mastered this for years!
    Still Ireland should have won today.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

I think DK should play ROG personally. ROG suits his territory game and would've been more effective in the 2nd half where the team was instructed to kick, kick and ...kick possession away. We all know how accurate ROG is with his boot. Only thing is he would've been steamrolled over when not in possession so we may have leaked more than 11 points. Tough one for Deccie eh? Well, then bring him on and keep Johnny at 12!

Genius.

Clegg wrote: »

I bet you werent saying that when ROG scored that fantastic drop goal that won us the Grandslam a short time back, eaten bread is soon forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

My names not Deccie.

Because hes not settling in as quick as someone who is on an a national team should be, thats down to Johnny to deal with, Kidney can only give him his games in the hope that the experience he gains will help him in the long run, in the mean time we are losing games because of this.

Kidney cant afford to give Johnny Sexton extra resourses, he has the rest of the team to think about and Johnnys a big boy who needs to learn how to stand on his own two feet

You're post is complete ****e. Sexton played well apart from 2 kicks-the first place kick and an aimless kick into their 22 which was marked. Apart from that he was excellent defensively and going forward. Do everyone a favour and log out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's amazing how not one bit of this post is true. (unless you're name isn't actually Declan)

If you could give me an example of one game we lost by Sexton missing a kick I'd be very appreciative.

Wow. Simply just wow. I really have no idea where to start with this one.

You've obviously a fairly limited grasp of the game and/or several pairs of red tinted glasses on. Johnny was excellent today. Damn near MOTM performance. His kick didn't stop us going in at half time 10 points up or scoring 2 tries to 1. His defence was outstanding and his up and unders were, IIRC, all contestable. Yet 1 missed kick early in the game earns him this!?

A couple of weeks ago Dan Parks retired from international rugby. The guy was giving it his all but the Scottish fans got on his back and were so abusive to him he decided it wasn't worth it. It was pretty pathetic behaviour from the Scots all told. These kinds of posts are the Irish equivalent. I just hope comments like these remain very much in the minority here. He honestly could sh1t a gold brick and people here would find something to complain about or believe ROG could sh1t a better one.

I think DK should play ROG personally. ROG suits his territory game and would've been more effective in the 2nd half where the team was instructed to kick, kick and ...kick possession away. We all know how accurate ROG is with his boot. Only thing is he would've been steamrolled over when not in possession so we may have leaked more than 11 points. Tough one for Deccie eh? Well, then bring him on and keep Johnny at 12!

Genius.

Agreed

Beubeu wrote: »
    yes you re right but come on Ireland and Munster, have mastered this for years!
    Still Ireland should have won today.

Remember Wayne Barnes when munster played montauban? If the same rules emphasis was in place today then we would have had 15 extra penalties. The amount of times dusatoir went in off his feet and sealed off was ridiculous.

It's probably the most infuriating thing about rugby: "this year we are going to put emphasis on this law and forget about last year's".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭EmeraldNK

I bet you werent saying that when ROG scored that fantastic drop goal that won us the Grandslam a short time back, eaten bread is soon forgotten

Eh?

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    You're post is complete ****e. Sexton played well apart from 2 kicks-the first place kick and an aimless kick into their 22 which was marked. Apart from that he was excellent defensively and going forward. Do everyone a favour and log out.

I'm entitled to my opinion as are you, dont be a back seat mod and let the mods do their job

Advertisement