Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

FatRat wrote: »
    "We" haven't really taken a step forward when the new forum turns into another big thread, just like what we had (but is pretty much no more thanks to this forum) last time. It's just a little bit worse because there is still other threads on the forum.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 threads still left alone that don't seem to be going anywhere. All freely used. Then the charter and resources threads make two more. This is nothing like what we had. We've got so much more freedom to create, discuss, and inform.

There's one reason, and one reason only, why we're not getting the numbers we used to have, and that's the lack of traffic from Soccer. How we solve that, I don't know. I suggested asking the mods over there to link to this forum in their OP, but trying to get any common decency from them has proven to be beating a dead horse in the past, so I really don't know.

I've changed my sig to try help, and post in that thread on match day with info about our forum, but I'm always just going to be one person with little or no pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I have to say I'm finding this whole new FF place messy and confusing (with the old soccer forum thread still alive and slowly dying...). Well we're just starting so I presume it just needs to ... get started.
    Maybe we could have a thread to discuss the main forums we'd like to have and "all" agree on them. It could also be a place for asking about an idea of a new thread and see if there could be interest in it or if it would fit and belong better to an existing one.
    At the moment we already have "FPL resources", "FPL general discussion" and the "Rate my team Megathread". We have a "Transfer" and "Captain Poll" one too. I haven't been following intensively here recently so what's the decision on them? A new one every week? A "Mega" one for the rest of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Now I want to have a big rant at FPL. I've seen a lot of people (and I've been one of them) complaining about the bonus system. But what is an utter joke and is killing the game in my view is the new (not sure new is an adequate word here but anyway was not the case last year) current totally anarchistic system regarding player's price changes. I've spent quite some time analysing it from FISO data and information. And I've now come to the conclusion that it's deliberately (for which purpose?) unfair and unbalanced.

Let's summarise it:

• No weighting rules for second and third price change in the same GW. So we can have crazy price changes (Ba going up 4 times in 4 days, Valencia down 3 times in 3 days...etc...etc...).
    • To compensate there's a stupid threshold after the 3rd price rise/fall.
    • Total fcuk up of flagging/protection issues. Basically THERE'S NO RULES !!!!!! Ba, while away to the ACON, so flagged, was not going down 'till he was reaching 250% of his target NTO. So he was "weigthed". At the same time, Yakubu wasn't (or not as much). Now we've seen Valencia, flagged, going down 4 times and bar the first time, he only needed to reach 100%. WHERE'S THE BLOODY CONSISTENCY IN THAT ???!!!!!! But it gets worse if I come back to Ba's situation. When he came back from ACON his flag disappeared so he should have been protected for 8 days! Instead he experienced the fastest and craziest price increase in the history of the game (or not far from it).

The results of that are very negative to the game. It kills a lot of the freedom of play we used to have regarding transfers. If you miss a boat you're fcuked as to get it late (and by late I mean a couple of days, it's not like you made the bad call over several weeks) you're going to have to "sacrifice" other part of your team. And if you get caught with injuries/suspensions/"little" spells of bad form of your star players (the one from which you generally benefitted an important price increase), you're stuck. You can't make a move as this move would most probably be definite. As a side result, there are tons of similar teams.

In fairness, if I were not in a money league with weekly and monthly prizes I would just stop playing. I've spent quite some time building my team, trying to make it as most balanced as possible, working out player’s home/away rotations, considering their mid-term fixtures etc...etc... and because of this fcuked-up system, I've lost numerous time some cash very quickly and I'm now in a position where I can't make some moves and/or have to take gambles as I can't afford some big names (especially upfront) and don’t want to drastically change my team to get them. So, in the end, this system rewards statistically more inactive players than active ones. Bravo FPL...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

the only explanation i can come up with is the dude in charge of price rises/falls has a team of his own

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

Falling out of love with the game!!

All because its v boring & serious in here now. Why wasn't it just left the way it was. It worked fine for the last two years that i played the game.!!

No need for a crusade to change it then give out and discuss every little thing you don't like about the new forum. The old thread in soccer is/was enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

I think if we are going to have a forum then we need to leave people open discussions and not just have everything thrown into a 'General Chat' thread.

Some of the topics that were moved in the cull should not, IMO, have been moved, they warranted individual threads as they related to specific aspects of FF eg: how you play the game, where you follow match scores etc.

I can understand the need to keep all the Rate my Teams together etc but the topics being allowed at the moment are too 'narrow' and if its going to stay like that we may as well go back to one superthread.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

I clicked on the thread I started about next seasons free entry money league and it brought me to this thread. I can't find any related posts and its unlikely people will contribute ideas if the can't see the thread. Would this topic fall under general FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yeh they'll be in here somewhere but good luck getting any response now! The mods seem to have done a bit of a disappearing act too...

Who should i bench this week do ye reckon? Bale or Moses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Benimar wrote: »
    I think if we are going to have a forum then we need to leave people open discussions and not just have everything thrown into a 'General Chat' thread.

Some of the topics that were moved in the cull should not, IMO, have been moved, they warranted individual threads as they related to specific aspects of FF eg: how you play the game, where you follow match scores etc.

I can understand the need to keep all the Rate my Teams together etc but the topics being allowed at the moment are too 'narrow' and if its going to stay like that we may as well go back to one superthread.
    shangri la wrote: »
    I clicked on the thread I started about next seasons free entry money league and it brought me to this thread. I can't find any related posts and its unlikely people will contribute ideas if the can't see the thread. Would this topic fall under general FF?

My point entirely, there has been too much of a 'clean-up'. It seems to be separate threads for Transfers, RMTs and Captain Poll with everything else being lumped into one thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,145 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

carlcon wrote: »
    I suggested asking the mods over there to link to this forum in their OP, but trying to get any common decency from them has proven to be beating a dead horse in the past, so I really don't know.

or you could just ask us instead of insulting us any chance you get?

despite what you believe, we're not the horrible wánkers you want to believe we are.

i'm going to link the thread in the OP in Soccer right now, and make it clear in the title that the link is in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

manual_man wrote: »
    Who should i bench this week do ye reckon? Bale or Moses?

Start Bale have Moses as first sub .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

SlickRic wrote: »

despite what you believe, we're not the horrible wánkers you want to believe we are.

i'm going to link the thread in the OP in Soccer right now, and make it clear in the title that the link is in the OP.

Funny that I thanked you for the link to this forum in the Soccer thread before I saw this. I asked for help from Soccer mods a dozen times and got nothing (much more important stuff too, like dealing with homophobia & bullying on the forum - and then, of course, the several occasions when I tried getting you onside for the sub-forum). So apologies for not presuming it would change this one time.
    As I've said before, I highly suspect you only look like "****" (your word, not mine) simply because of one or two gob****es who actually are, making it hard on the rest of you. So it has never been anything personal; just that as a whole, you do indeed come across like ****.

But as I've said, credit where it's due. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Gareth Bale injured, could be out for 3 weeks.

hmmm.... they don't have the nicest fixtures coming up, I'm half thinking of transferring him out for someone like Nani. He will probably, definitely, not be playing this weekend so maybe it's time to transfer him out. Or am I just jumping to conclusions?

FatRat wrote: »
    Gareth Bale injured, could be out for 3 weeks.

hmmm.... they don't have the nicest fixtures coming up, I'm half thinking of transferring him out for someone like Nani. He will probably, definitely, not be playing this weekend so maybe it's time to transfer him out. Or am I just jumping to conclusions?

Sorry for Bale if true, but could mix things up nicely ff wise

shangri la wrote: »
    SlickRic wrote: »

Any chance of a reply/solution to this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

I took the bullet and transfered Sorrenson for Begovic in a straight swap! I really hope this keeper roatation Stoke have employed isnt going to come back and haunt me this weekend! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

I took the bullet and transfered Sorrenson for Begovic in a straight swap! I really hope this keeper roatation Stoke have employed isnt going to come back and haunt me this weekend! :rolleyes:

i did the same as yourself, hopefully he starts

Any chance you looked at stokes conceding statistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

I just think for value for the rest of the season a stoke goalkeeper at 4.5 is your best option. I agree that they havent been great in their recent run of fixtures but a clean sheet at the weekend against swansea is something to build on perhaps. With Europe out of the way also i feel they should do better in the remainder of the season as they are tough to beat on their day at the Brittania!

I was gonna put Al Habsi or Mingolet but i really dont fancy either defence being honest to help them keepers out. Both at 4.5 also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I'm gonna be controversial and say that Bale's time has come. Spurs' form isn't what it was and he's not doing a whole load for them anymore. Usually he's a part of 1/2 or so of their goals or something like that but not anymore really. I think it's time to drop him, especially with him injured now. Nearly every serious player has him so if you drop him now for the right replacement it could be a solid differential for the end of the season.

So my question is, who is the best midfielder to replace him with? The idea I have is to downgrade him so I can strengthen my backline. I'm looking for a midfielder from anywhere between 4 and 8 million. I have Siggy, Silva, Sess and Dempsey atm. Any decent suggestions would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I did bale to mata as bale is now an injury doubt. I already have rooney cisse and vorm as injury doubts so dont want another one.
    If it doesnt work out il get bale back in a few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bale out Dempsey in,my hand was forced as thr injury doubts have piled up..
    Was looking doubtfull i would even get 11 on the pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Didn't realise everyone was over here but I'm losing interest in FF anyway to be honest.

What happened with Sorensen last weekend? Was he rotated? I was away on a stag so missed alot of the news. Dropped to 20th in the Boards League despite not having a bad score because Ba as captain fooked me over. MY other two strikers were Ade and RvP so annoyed about that.

Getting 0 for my 'keeper because Vorm didn't play and Sorensen was injured/rested wasn't very pleasing either.

This article in the Daily Mail is sayign he's torn it, and is expected to be out for 10- 21 days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2108804/Gareth-Bale-suffers-hamstring-injury.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Not the most reputable source but think its time to let him go anyway. Independent saying the club are stressing its not serious.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tottenham-winger-bale-doubtful-for-united-game-7469108.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Getting rid of Bale may be a good call at the moment but I think you'll need to be able to bring him back into your team in 4/5 weeks time for Spurs nice run in.

01 Apr Gameweek 31 Swansea (H)
    07 Apr Gameweek 32 Sunderland (A)
    09 Apr Gameweek 33 Norwich (H)
    15 Apr Gameweek 34 Bolton (A)
    21 Apr Gameweek 35 QPR (A)
    29 Apr Gameweek 36 Blackburn (H)
    05 May Gameweek 37 Aston Villa (A)
    13 May Gameweek 38 Fulham (H)

I bought at £8.5 and can sell at £9.1 to potentially buy back around the £9.4 mark.

Hmmmmmmm, undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Vorm is deffo back as per SSN this morning, in case anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Valencia and Cleverley not fit for spurs . Smalling to be assessed today

Rooneys back though

Really hope Valencia is back for the next game, United have a great run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Vorm is deffo back as per SSN this morning, in case anyone is interested.

Thank f*** for that.

There's nothing on the Spurs website about Bale. He was on my possible transfer out list anyway, so might risk getting rid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement