Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2012 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Ah no, you can't leave it short

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Enjoyed the week.

Have to say 36 on the last day ruins the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The USA chants :rolleyes:

Well done Mahan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Great few day's of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

"U. S. A."
    FFS

The commentators pronunciation of "semi" has been pissing me off all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

"U. S. A."
    FFS

That and get in the hole BS should be banned..... ridiculous the idiots that they are letting in to watch this beautiful game.

Won't even get started on the slow players and the spitting...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

2nd was still a good result.

However Rory gifted Mahan at least two holes and that was the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Well done Mahan, very very solid round of golf and a deserving champion as the best player all week.

McIlroy ultimately didn't play well enough on the front 9, missing from 3 feet on the first and then the ridiculous 7th were the killers.

Another great couple of weeks golf to come with the Honda next week and the Cadillac the following week.

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    The commentators pronunciation of "semi" has been pissing me off all day.

"Victory in the sem-I finals"

Good weeks work though for McIlroy seeing as his swing hasn't been his usual best.
    Think he will go top of the race to dubai now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

3 weeks off to prepare for the Masters........hope he has a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

Well done to Hunter Mahan, very good golf all week and a deserving winner.

It's worrying that Rory doesn't seem to have the killer instinct to close out tournaments, especially when he's under pressure, the amount of top 5's at his age is staggering. Hopefully, it will develop over time.

He's one incredible talent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

BackScrub wrote: »

It's worrying that Rory doesn't seem to have the killer instinct to close out tournaments, especially when he's under pressure, the amount of top 5's at his age is staggering. Hopefully, it will develop over time.

The 1 good thing I take from this is that he is well pissed to lose. Up to v recently he was pretty happy finishing top 5. No more. He will win lots this year, no more prisoners will be taken.

I think Rory lost this in his Semi. Tough mental game.

But as the man just said there Mahan had 35 birdies :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 westbuteast

goin to have to buy one of those ping putters. the power of the name drop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

goin to have to buy one of those ping putters. the power of the name drop
    My ping putter wasn't so hot when I used it yesterday!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

Leslie91 wrote: »
    That and get in the hole BS should be banned..... ridiculous the idiots that they are letting in to watch this beautiful game.

Won't even get started on the slow players and the spitting...

I agree with the idiots that shout out very annoying, but how do you propose they police this , your not really going to be able to tell the idiots who are going to shout out when they are walking in the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

He played pretty average this week and came second and lost today to the best player of the week. If the tournament was strokeplay Mahan would have walked it so I'm not really putting this one down to lack of killer instinct.

His short game is getting better and better and I'd fancy him to win 2/3 times this year including a major. People have got to remember that the standard of play by the top 50 or so in the world is so good now that its not really comparable to when Tiger was blowing fields away 10/12 years ago. Top 5's nearly every week is ridiculously good form

I know McIlroy gets a lot of stick for not finishing off enough tournaments but at least he is putting himself in a position to do so week in week out.
    His consistency is just staggering, thats top 9 top 5's in his last 10 events. Incredible stuff really.

dvemail wrote: »
    I know McIlroy gets a lot of stick for not finishing off enough tournaments but at least he is putting himself in a position to do so week in week out.
    His consistency is just staggering, thats top 9 top 5's in his last 10 events. Incredible stuff really.

He is going to win everything going.

But he does roll the head and is too emotional when he hits a bad shot. He needs to drop this. He needs to work on the mental side.

He is too up and down, this will haunt him in majors and last rounds if he does not sort it out.

But, he is only a kid , 22 , unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

But he does roll the head and is too emotional when he hits a bad shot. He needs to drop this. He needs to work on the mental side.

I guarantee you every golfer in the world thinks "ahh bollox" when they hit a bad shot, this has nothing to do with the mental side of the game.. Some players have poker faces and some let it show.

It's what he dose when he gets up to his ball that matters, he shows no sign of loss of focus and seems to forget the previous shot easily enough. I say back to the books Bob..! ;)

I think the fact that he never gave up even though he was 4 down shows us that he has the mental strength needed to do well. He could just as easily have thrown in the towel but he never gave up and made Mahan win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

Great effort from McIlroy

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Lee Westwood isn't a good putter. There you go, I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

My name is Hunter Mahan and i play ping

k.p.h wrote: »
    I guarantee you every golfer in the world thinks "ahh bollox" when they hit a bad shot, this has nothing to do with the mental side of the game.. Some players have poker faces and some let it show.

It's what he dose when he gets up to his ball that matters, he shows no sign of loss of focus and seems to forget the previous shot easily enough. I say back to the books Bob..! ;)

Well maybe.

He needs a new "poker face" then, it must make the guy playing with him feel great when Rory is rolling the head and dropping the shoulders. Look at front of The Times. He does this all the time. You think that is just poor poker face, I think it is more.

But I don't think he has the focus he needs at the moment.
    Does he work with someone on this side ?

He will still win every major going , but I want him to win more now and knock Tiger "off his perch".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I don't think he has the focus he needs at the moment.

Agree, He just seems a little flippant at times when it comes to golf. Cant remember what match it was (think it was against Jimenez) and he was something like 3 up with 4 to play.

He was off the green with a poor lie and instead of playing the percentage chip that JP was suggesting, he tried the big fancy flop, missed the green and ultimately lost the hole. A guy fully focused would not have done that.

I know he is young but its little things like that I see in him, that are very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

stringy wrote: »
    Lee Westwood isn't a good putter. There you go, I said it.

I'm going to tell Borisss you said that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    Its so hard to predict at the early stages but my darts thrown at a board give me:
    Jones: Stanley V Bjorn
    Hogan: Kuchar V baddley
    Player: McIlroy V Schwartzel
    Snead: Jacobson V Simpson

3 geniuses predicted two correct out of the last eight... but LOFT wins on account of naming two correctly - one of which was a finalist.

It must feel great to be you loft.. i can only imagine... well done sir!

pointless excercise of the week concluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

3 geniuses predicted two correct out of the last eight... but LOFT wins on account of naming two correctly - one of which was a finalist.

It must feel great to be you loft.. i can only imagine... well done sir!

pointless excercise of the week concluded.

You win the no life title.

Advertisement