Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Hi guys, just curious about this - if you do brilliant in the HPAT and not so well in the Leaving, can you just repeat the Leaving or do you have to do both?

I'm guessing it'd be both but I was just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Actually I meant to ask this earlier... did anyone get breaks in between sections? I had thought there was a 10 minutes breather in between each section but nope! not in my test centre!

Togepi wrote: »
    Hi guys, just curious about this - if you do brilliant in the HPAT and not so well in the Leaving, can you just repeat the Leaving or do you have to do both?

Nope, your HPAT score keeps for 2 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

Togepi wrote: »

nope just leaving hpat lasts 2 years but if you dont get well over 80th percentile repeat both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ahh you still might aswell. What have you got to lose? They use your best score.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

What are peoples opinions on the fact that you cannot be successful in the hpat unless you're a fluent english speaker? What if you're from abroad? Was the Hpat specifically introduced to reduce the amount of foreign kids doing medicine o.0?

I'm not trolling I actually am fluent despite my name. Just curious as to what people may think about this sensitive issue :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I didn't realise they use your best score. And I've no desire to do medicine (I hate both Biology and blood,) I just got curious! :P

Was the Hpat specifically introduced to reduce the amount of foreign kids doing medicine o.0?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Even if it is low weighted, I'm not sure I will even be getting the higher weighted ones correct. Damn HPAT. If you mess up sec1 and do fine in sec 2 and 3, what are the chances of 80th percentile?:confused:

reznov wrote: »
    Even if it is low weighted, I'm not sure I will even be getting the higher weighted ones correct. Damn HPAT. If you mess up sec1 and do fine in sec 2 and 3, what are the chances of 80th percentile?:confused:

Each section is 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Anyone remember the answer to the very last question on section 3?
    Ran short of time when figuring it out, had to make a guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Each section is 100.
    Not exactly. It's not unknown for people to get over 100 in a section.

Not exactly. It's not unknown for people to get over 100 in a section.

Ahh well, I'v been lied to :P

@Partyatmygaff Did you do a prep course this year?

I did yes. Med*Entry.

Cool. Good luck with it this year. No point in asking how you felt it went really.

Its just worrisome. Dont know whether it's better if med stayed at 600 or the HPAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

cathal94 wrote: »
    section three: I did sooo much practice for this section. might as well not have bothered.

Very interesting.

How did everyone else who had spent time practising feel? Was that time spent worthwhile? Did you wish you had spent more or less time?

Cool. Good luck with it this year. No point in asking how you felt it went really.
    Well i'll reserve final judgement until the day of the results but I'm fairly sure I did better than last year. How much better is the more important question.

Its just worrisome. Dont know whether it's better if med stayed at 600 or the HPAT.

Definitely shouldn't stay at 600. Hpat is better I sorta started getting a bit hysterical during section 3 today, looked up and around the room "Is this really how they choose doctors?" Flippin puzzles.

Hpat isn't a great system, but it's better.

• Advertisement

Well i'll reserve final judgement until the day of the results but I'm fairly sure I did better than last year. How much better is the more important question.

I remember your results :P

LC and Hpat. Ugh I need to get out....

It is a step in the right direction, no doubt. I found practice extremely helpful in terms of section 3. Without it, I would be totally clueless, no matter if my result is desperate or outstanding, without any preparation I would totally be unable to sit the paper. Word of note is that it's my own opinion. Not promoting prep courses as such. In fact prep for section 1 was not so effective. Was surprised by the lack of Logical Reasoning questions (comprehension) and there were no arrangement questions either.
    In section 2 prep served little to no purpose. Practice papers + prep courses' Sec 2 are handy. Similar cannot be stated of the actual exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 daithioc

Did anybody else see the thing that the health minister said recently. he's very anti-hpat:

'If such a person wants to study medicine, however, he or she has bloody well earned the right to do so' (referring to kids who get 600, but may have been pushed by their families to do so).

That's kinda fair enough in my opinion. The hpat seems like a bit of money racket sometimes.

It is a step in the right direction, no doubt. I found practice extremely helpful in terms of section 3. Without it, I would be totally clueless, no matter if my result is desperate or outstanding, without any preparation I would totally be unable to sit the paper. Word of note is that it's my own opinion. Not promoting prep courses as such. In fact prep for section 1 was not so effective. Was surprised by the lack of Logical Reasoning questions (comprehension) and there were no arrangement questions either.
    In section 2 prep served little to no purpose. Practice papers + prep courses' Sec 2 are handy. Similar cannot be stated of the actual exam.

Well this is a reason the HPAT should be abolished then... it's meant to separate the men from the boys when it comes to being under time pressure and making decisions... and if you can prepare for it it should be changed! and also the fact that repeats can do better show that they can improve their actual natural aptitude by studying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

daithioc wrote: »
    Did anybody else see the thing that the health minister said recently. he's very anti-hpat:

'If such a person wants to study medicine, however, he or she has bloody well earned the right to do so' (referring to kids who get 600, but may have been pushed by their families to do so).

That's kinda fair enough in my opinion. The hpat seems like a bit of money racket sometimes.

I would tend to agree too. While I think it's not perfect, in fact often it was quite flawed, the old system was better. I just feel that any student talented, hard working and intelligent enough to get 600 points should have their pick of courses.

On the other hand, there DOES need to be an extra layer of screening for a career like Medicine. I agree with some form of the HPAT existing and maybe an interview section too. IMO 300 marks total is way too much weighting to give the HPAT on it's own. It's essential worth the same as 3 extra higher level subjects. Crazy. I'd reduce it to 150 and include an interview sequence in the process. So 565 max for the LC, 150 for the HPAT and then 100 for an interview conducted by external interviewers. (External to the uni, from maybe the UK or other foreign institutions, like the way they get independent markers to grade final year thesis' to maintain the integrity of the system) This system seems fairer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

Well this is a reason the HPAT should be abolished then... it's meant to separate the men from the boys when it comes to being under time pressure and making decisions... and if you can prepare for it it should be changed! and also the fact that repeats can do better show that they can improve their actual natural aptitude by studying for it

hpat was also brought in to even out the genders used to be 70 percent female now 50 50

Simply because females achieve highly in exams, they should be penalised under a new testing mechanism? Perceived as fair, eh?

Simply because females achieve highly in exams, they should be penalised under a new testing mechanism? Perceived as fair, eh?

Absolutely, the leaving cert isn't a perfect system either.

Absolutely, the leaving cert isn't a perfect system either.

Well I think maybe there should be a happy medium... maybe 25% of places to medicine for leaving cert alone so the extremely high achievers get in... and then the other 75% for maybe a test like the hpat, an interview and the leaving cert combined! that's just my opinion but at least this way everyone gets a chance!

• Advertisement

The leaving certificate is a standard test which does not offer bonuses to females. It is certainly not sexist :P don't understand why males are unable to achieve what females can.

Advertisement