Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

No no no, nobody would apply to medicine if it were 600 points. Stick to the current system, the HPAT keeps our points for medicine down. I prefer having it in two parts.

reznov wrote: »
    The leaving certificate is a standard test which does not offer bonuses to females. It is certainly not sexist :P don't understand why males are unable to achieve what females can.

I'm guessing you're female? Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

The leaving certificate is a standard test which does not offer bonuses to females.

And there's no evidence to suggest that the hpat favours males either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leaving cert finished 2k11

what answer did people get for the infectious disease question ?? less than 5 10 25 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

anishboi wrote: »
    No no no, nobody would apply to medicine if it were 600 points..

Well then it wouldn't be 600 points. :p

Hope everything works out for everyone here, no matter what results they get! :)

Curious as a potential/maybe/possible HPAT 2013er to see how all this goes, if the points inflate much over what you'd expect with the bonus points for maths, I can't really see the HPAT sticking around for too much longer...and the points certainly can't go down so it's a bit of a messy situation for all involved. I'd love if there were interviews myself, alas that looks fairly doubtful...

• Advertisement

what answer did people get for the infectious disease question ?? less than 5 10 25 50?

25? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 matthew769

Less than 25 I think, R0 needed to be less than 1, and the two other components were 0.02 and 2, therefore 0.04 c = less than 1. c has to be less than 25 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Assuming the HPAT maintains a 50:50 ratio. Assuming that the LC apparently favours females, the HPAT balances this ratio by favouring males. Or so the folklore goes? I believe neither favours ashy gender. Just some perception exists that gender inequalities are some how balanced with yet another standardised test.

I am male btw.
    Also, I guessed for that one lower than 25. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I got less than 25 contacts. But the info in the question may be different across all of the papers. I.e, the theory of the question might be the same but I might have been given different figures to work with than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

And there's no evidence to suggest that the hpat favours males either?

If it increases the number of males getting into medicine (which I'm pretty sure it does), as has been suggested a few posts ago, then it does favour males.

The root of the problem is the Leaving Cert itself though, the points system has to go.

• Advertisement

I got 50 :L

Togepi wrote: »
    If it increases the number of males getting into medicine (which I'm pretty sure it does), as has been suggested a few posts ago, then it does favour males.

A 50:50 male to female ratio is not in favour of males.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cathal94

I got 50 :L

I said 5 .. hadn't a notion :D

A 50:50 male to female ratio is not in favour of males.

True, but if that's an increase on the old ratio of males to females in medicine then it favours them more than it used to. It might have been better to do something about the unequal gender ratio for Leaving Cert results.

No test can 'favour' a certain gender unless it asks about something like girls's cosmetics or boy's football teams.

The HPAT wasn't actually invented to increas the number of males entering medicine, it was just made to test your aptitude before you do the course. Your ability to see through problems and read emotions, two things that most doctors need to do.

And even if the HPAT was made to increase the number of males entering medicine, there is no evidence in the exam of any favouritism towards males, and all tests are marked by a computer so there can't be bias.

And the LC isn't more lenient to females, us boys are just lazy ****es.

It might have been better to do something about the unequal gender ratio for Leaving Cert results.

Sure. However
    The leaving certificate is a standard test which does not offer bonuses to females.

So what can ya do.

cathal94 wrote: »
    I said 5 .. hadn't a notion :D

One of the questions that I had enough time to do, and could therefore work out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kakes

Can anyone tell me, when you get your results in April, do you also get your percentile? Or is it just the points?

No test can 'favour' a certain gender unless it asks about something like girls's cosmetics or boy's football teams.

Whatever about the HPAT but I think that was a tad sexist.

I know far more about football teams than cosmetics.

Can anyone remind me what stops males from performing on par with females at the LC? :confused:

• Advertisement

Can anyone remind me what stops males from performing on par with females at the LC? :confused:

Tipping over the desk with their balls

Kakes wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, when you get your results in April, do you also get your percentile? Or is it just the points?

You get both

It might have been better to do something about the unequal gender ratio for Leaving Cert results.

Sure. However

So what can ya do.

I suppose, maybe if the Leaving Cert was changed to reward intelligence rather than being hard-working good at memorising information.

Or if maths and the sciences were worth more than art, history, languages, etc in terms of getting into medicine.

At the age of seventeen/eighteen anyway, girls generally tend to work harder in school. Apparently. So they do better. There's nothing to stop males doing just as well.

I suppose, maybe if the Leaving Cert was changed to reward intelligence rather than being hard-working good at memorising information.

This is what they tried to do with the hpat yes.
    Or if maths and the sciences were worth more than art, history, languages, etc in terms of getting into medicine.

Maths are now worth more and they're looking into bonus points for sciences, based on the results from honours maths points.

It's an awful lot of work though to put all these systems into place for 3,000 - 4,000 students per year though. And stuff like English and having a good control of language is still really important in being a doctor.

Tipping over the desk with their balls

Hahaha. :pac:
    Those damn testicles use up intelligence.

Kakes wrote: »

Actually I think if you scored poorly <20% they don't give you a percentile.

Well I think that the LC should be all about memory intelligence because that's the exam that gets you not just into medicine, but into every other course as well. That's why the exam and all subjects need to be a book-learning standard that's fair and relevant for everyone, and not an aptitude (intelligence) test. Put it this way, a construction worker doesn't need aptitude, but needs the LC theory that he/she learned in construction studies. An economist also doesn't need aptitude, but needs business and accounting.

Remember that even though we're all applying to medicine, we're not the only ones going through this system. Everyone needs the LC to go where they want to go. The LC can't just be changed to suit us medical soon-to-be (hopefully) students.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kakes

Actually I think if you scored poorly <20% they don't give you a percentile.

Let's hope that doesn't happen:) Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

The reason girls to better in the leaving cert is because they do wayyy more study than males... I'm a male by the way..... the reason males do better in the hpat, assuming from the above posts that they do, would be because males have a better aptitude and logic... everyone knows it... thats why males excel in subjects like physics and maths... because they have more natural ability when it comes to mechanisms etc

Advertisement