Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

To me this thread seems to be getting gender-orientated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

anishboi wrote: »
    Well I think that the LC should be all about memory intelligence because that's the exam that gets you not just into medicine, but into every other course as well. That's why the exam and all subjects need to be a book-learning standard that's fair and relevant for everyone, and not an aptitude (intelligence) test. Put it this way, a construction worker doesn't need aptitude, but needs the LC theory that he/she learned in construction studies. An economist also doesn't need aptitude, but needs business and accounting.

Remember that even though we're all applying to medicine, we're not the only ones going through this system. Everyone needs the LC to go where they want to go. The LC can't just be changed to suit us medical soon-to-be (hopefully) students.

You're right, everyone does need to learn before going to college, rather than just relying on how naturally smart you are.

However the amount of learning (as in understanding) in the Leaving Cert course is debatable. Einstein once said -"information is not knowledge". You can memorise all the information you want but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to apply it or have a huge amount of use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Enough of this gender bias nonsense, back to stressing over things we can't change.

Did I screw up the card swapping game? The card in question was only linked with one other card right? So 3 shuffles meant it was the other card... Or did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 karkarpops

The reason girls to better in the leaving cert is because they do wayyy more study than males... I'm a male by the way..... the reason males do better in the hpat, assuming from the above posts that they do, would be because males have a better aptitude and logic... everyone knows it... thats why males excel in subjects like physics and maths... because they have more natural ability when it comes to mechanisms etc

Erm, well I'd proudly say that in my school, I've consistently done better than the males at both maths and physics. I don't really believe that I'm a minority either. Bring on the physics olympiad woop woop :D And also, a hell of a lot of males study and work really hard too...just as much as girls, imo.

Now, can we please go back to HPAT/med talk más é do thoil é? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

i hope everybody picked "cajoling" because it was most definitely the correct answer

• Advertisement

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    i hope everybody picked "cajoling" because it was most definitely the correct answer

Yeah was simple vocab test there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Even when cajoling wasn't an answer I just wrote it in myself. I'd say I got about 250 260ish ~~ Give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 karkarpops

Yeah was simple vocab test there.

Yeah, I agree with that. Did you feel that some of the passages were open to alot of interpretation? Like, for most I could narrow it down to 2 options and then I was stumped. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

karkarpops wrote: »
    Erm, well I'd proudly say that in my school, I've consistently done better than the males at both maths and physics. I don't really believe that I'm a minority either. Bring on the physics olympiad woop woop :D And also, a hell of a lot of males study and work really hard too...just as much as girls, imo.

Now, can we please go back to HPAT/med talk más é do thoil é? :)

Ya well obviously there's exceptions to every generalisation... but i think its fair to say girls study more in general, yes, of course theres males that will study more but i'd say if you took 100 random boys and 100 random girls and added up the amount of study they do the girls would be way ahead..

Sure everybody knows that all men are carpenters and all women are housewives.

• Advertisement

one thing that annoys me about the hpat is the fact that you can't continue onto the next section until the time is done. i had over 10 minutes spare from section 2 that i sorely needed for section 3, but instead i had to waste them looking back on my answers, none of which i changed.

karkarpops wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree with that. Did you feel that some of the passages were open to alot of interpretation? Like, for most I could narrow it down to 2 options and then I was stumped. :/

Yeah, there was usually two rather outlandish options then two borderline ones... Here's hoping we went for the right ones :)

one thing that annoys me about the hpat is the fact that you can't continue onto the next section until the time is done. i had over 10 minutes spare from section 2 that i sorely needed for section 3, but instead i had to waste them looking back on my answers, none of which i changed.

They're trying to test different aspects of the candidate.

They're trying to test different aspects of the candidate.

really?!

which question was this? i think i might remember seeing that word :L

did anyone else find the last question on s1 about the remote and lights impossible?

did anyone else find the last question on s1 about the remote and lights impossible?

My last question was lads queuing in a shop or something...?

So it's only fair that you have as much time for section 3 as everybody else, regardless of how good you are at section 2.

It wasn't that bad I don't think?
    My last question was lads queuing in a shop or something...?

However this one was bollox

It wasn't that bad I don't think?
    Yeah I didn't find it that bad.. 4 could only be gotten rolling 4/2 and forward/2x Forward seemed to be the key to working it out for me...

However this one was bollox

Yeah.. Wouldve loved a bit more time for this one.. Chose 3 people still in queue and at least 5 mins for the last one :l

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

While we're on the note of gender ratios, someone should check out the other healthcare courses.

In my current class (Pharmacy), there are 21 males to 57 females. That's a ratio of 27:73. Dental science is pretty much the same story as far as i'm aware.

Perhaps Pharmacy/Dentistry needs some HPAT treatment too? :pac:

• Advertisement

In my current class (Pharmacy), there are 21 males to 57 females.

Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

While we're on the note of gender ratios, someone should check out the other healthcare courses.

In my current class (Pharmacy), there are 21 males to 57 females. That's a ratio of 27:73. Dental science is pretty much the same story as far as i'm aware.

And teaching. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Class.
    +1 for the professional healthcare degrees that haven't yet been afflicted with the HPAT :P

it was section 2 with the gay guys

what was that question about, i dont remember it at all... hope i didnt miss something

it was section 2 with the gay guys

what was that question about, i dont remember it at all... hope i didnt miss something

I had to read over the one with David and Andrew a few times :p Think I got it in the end.

I thought the one with the lights was sound? Musta got it wrong.

sooo why do you want to do medicine? hahaha more girls than boys...claaassssss

I had to read over the one with David and Andrew a few times :p Think I got it in the end.

I thought the one with the lights was sound? Musta got it wrong.

yeah the theme of all the answers was actually the same, took a bit of work though..

can you remember what the lights question was?? i have zero recollection of it and now im thinking i skipped a question

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

anishboi wrote: »
    Well I think that the LC should be all about memory intelligence because that's the exam that gets you not just into medicine, but into every other course as well. That's why the exam and all subjects need to be a book-learning standard that's fair and relevant for everyone, and not an aptitude (intelligence) test. Put it this way, a construction worker doesn't need aptitude, but needs the LC theory that he/she learned in construction studies. An economist also doesn't need aptitude, but needs business and accounting.

Remember that even though we're all applying to medicine, we're not the only ones going through this system. Everyone needs the LC to go where they want to go. The LC can't just be changed to suit us medical soon-to-be (hopefully) students.

'Memory intelligence' is not even a real thing. Intelligence is defined as ''the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills''. Memory is defined as ''the faculty by which the mind stores and remembers information'', nothing to do with application of said information. What good is being a construction worker who knows the step by step theory to building a scaffold in his head but can't carry it out? What use is an economist who can list off the characteristics of a monopoly but can't advise spot what's working in the economy and what's not?

There are however, different types of aptitude and is a much more sensible means test. My assumption would be that you are just thinking of the hpat as the only type of aptitude test out there - it's not, it is just designed with the intention of demanding only those capabilities which acer deem necessary for the medical profession.
    Aptitude applies to almost all professions, pure power of rote memory applies to very little.
    Ask any 3rd level economics student who has at least gone through 1st year how much aptitude they need.
    Construction workers don't follow laid out instructions like for a leaving cert project, they have to understand how and why some materials and structures work and how some don't depending on its desired function.

Medical students don't learn off lists of diseases, symptoms and cures - they apply their aptitude to understanding how and why the many components of the body work under normal conditions so that they can understand why, say, one genetic mutation leads to a certain disease and not another without having to learn off every step in between - more that it all falls into place like dominoes.

Aptitude, capacity of one's memory and intelligence are three different things.

can you remember what the lights question was?? i have zero recollection of it and now im thinking i skipped a question

A 1 Player board game. 4 letters representing the numbers 1,2,3,4 and 4 letters representing "move forward" "Double and move forward" "subtract 1 and move forward" and "move backwards"

The light being the little counter.

• Advertisement

B
    A
    A
    C
    C
    D
    B
    B
    A

Ahh **** this i'm off to bed, night everybody.

C
    C
    C
    C
    C
    C
    C
    C
    C
    C
    C
    C