Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

I read it. I don't belies in what he says at all. He says that the Hpat is keeping "talented young people" who get 600 points from becoming GPs. Just because someone gets 600 points it doesn't mean they will make a good doctor. While I agree that the system now is faulty, I believe it was even more faulty before. The Hpat gives a chance to those who may not get 600 points to get into medicine. I do think that the whole system (leaving cert and Hpat) should be changed. I think interviews would be so much better. It would really separate those who really want to do medicine from those who want it for money, the status or because they are being pushed into it.

Just because someone gets 200+ in a multiple choice exam doesn't mean they'll make a great doctor either! With HPAT, a single 2 1/2 hour (or thereabouts) exam is weighted as over half of the 2 year LC course. That's totally disproportional.

There seems to be a myth perpetuated that a 600-pointer is a socially-inept recluse, incapable of human contact, (which is probably true in a very small number of cases) but for the most part, what it means is that they are bright students who worked very hard to get good results. (btw, I didn't get 600 points myself, so that's not why I'm getting defensive :P)

Why shouldn't there be a HPAT for other courses? (no pedants arguing that its "health professions" aptitude test please, you know what I mean :P) Fair enough, one could argue that med is a high demand course, but so are dentistry, veterinary, pharmacy, law. Many of these require very high points also, yet don't require a further exam. It's not consistent at all at all :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Just because someone gets 200+ in a multiple choice exam doesn't mean they'll make a great doctor either! With HPAT, a single 2 1/2 hour (or thereabouts) exam is weighted as over half of the 2 year LC course. That's totally disproportional.

There seems to be a myth perpetuated that a 600-pointer is a socially-inept recluse, incapable of human contact, (which is probably true in a very small number of cases) but for the most part, what it means is that they are bright students who worked very hard to get good results. (btw, I didn't get 600 points myself, so that's not why I'm getting defensive :P)

Why shouldn't there be a HPAT for other courses? (no pedants arguing that its "health professions" aptitude test please, you know what I mean :P) Fair enough, one could argue that med is a high demand course, but so are dentistry, veterinary, pharmacy, law. Many of these require very high points also, yet don't require a further exam. It's not consistent at all at all :rolleyes:

You forget that the majority of subjects in the LC have absolutely no relevance to medicine. The only subjects that reflect an applicant's academic aptitude for medicine are biology, chemistry and physics. Maths might have some merit when it comes to analysing research papers and doing a higher degree (all but mandatory if you want to become a consultant). This is reflected in the admission requirements for medicine in the UK.

Absolutely ridiculous that a med applicant gets more points for an A1 in French than an A2 in Chemistry. Subjects should be weighted for each course.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crush525

I was also wondering, if I'm repeating A-Levels, and somehow do worse, can I keep my highest grades from the year before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

Hi guys, I'm sitting the HPAT on Saturday, and I was wondering if rough work paper is permitted/provided in the exam?

Also if anyone has those notes from Clartharlear could they please send them on to me?

Thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

ivanh wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm sitting the HPAT on Saturday, and I was wondering if rough work paper is permitted/provided in the exam?

Also if anyone has those notes from Clartharlear could they please send them on to me?

Thanks a mill

Nope, no rough work paper. rolleyes.gif

You can write on the paper though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eva2012

Hey, so I'm sitting the HPAT in Trinity on Saturday :L just wondering if the actual test is like the practice papers or is it much harder/easier?? It's just I found the UKCAT practice papers far easier, possibly to boost your confidence and I'm curious about the HPAT, also anyone got any last minute tips ;) I've been really sick recently with the flu and didn't get to do as much work as I'd like for it, so anything at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank-you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

Nope, no rough work paper. rolleyes.gif

You can write on the paper though

Oh that's sound, cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Hi all. I noticed most of you seem well prepared for the HPAT this weekend, and best of luck with it. I wish I could say the same...

I naively took for granted the info on HPAT's website, that not much preparation would be needed, and decided against ordering the testbook. :o
    The more I read into it, the more I realise that I am brutally underprepared for this test. I cannot find any sample tests online to practice. :confused:
    I notice there was some info going around, would someone be so kind as to send me links to a sample test or two??? Pretty please :D

I have looked everywhere. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ECM2012

Does anyone know how the percentiles on the med entry practice exams would compare to the real percentiles one would get?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

ECM2012 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the percentiles on the med entry practice exams would compare to the real percentiles one would get?

No idea mate. I'm applying as a mature student just thought I'd post here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

ECM2012 wrote: »

They don't compare whatsoever. Med entry practice exam percentile are versus Australian candidates, not only Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

Hi guys, could someone please tell me if age cards are acceptable forms of id for the hpat?
    As i dont have any other one..... if not im totally f**ked... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

Hi guys, could someone please tell me if age cards are acceptable forms of id for the hpat?:(

Unfortunately no they are not. This is from one of the hpat reminders.
    The only acceptable photo-bearing identification documents for the test are:

1. Current passport, or
    2. Current driver’s licence (photo-bearing), or
    3. Certified letter of identification from your school or workplace.

But don't worry, if you can get some passport photos done, or if you have some handy, bring them into school and ask for a letter of identification, put your photo on it and get the school's stamp over that. That's what I had to do, they should be able to do it in a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 karkarpops

Right, lads. The day's approaching and I'm TERRIFIED. Any advice on what to do the day before the exam? I think I just need to be more confident in myself. Whenever I imagine the other "HPATers", I think of all of these incredibley intelligent people that I wouldnt stand a chance against...not the best way to go into any exam :/ Wish everyone here all the luck in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

You don't know whether you are an HPATer unless you sit the exam :o

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

karkarpops wrote: »
    Right, lads. The day's approaching and I'm TERRIFIED. Any advice on what to do the day before the exam? I think I just need to be more confident in myself. Whenever I imagine the other "HPATers", I think of all of these incredibley intelligent people that I wouldnt stand a chance against...not the best way to go into any exam :/ Wish everyone here all the luck in the world!

I'm just gonna paste something I posted earlier in the thread.. Good Luck to you :)

Don't stress yourselves out over it, that is the one thing you cannot afford to do. Do a bit of practice with whatever you can but don't go overboard. Have a good sleep the night before, a good breakfast on the morning, get to your test venue with time to spare and take your seat. Relax and be calm, everyone is in the exact same position as you. When you're finished do not overanalyse the paper, you CANNOT and WILL NOT know how you've faired until the results come out so forget about it the second you put your pencil down.

TLDR; Don't get stressed over the HPAT and the key thing is to be confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 daithioc

Does anybody know how to get an idea of what looks like a good score on the acer practice tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

Does anybody know how you can check if acer have your CAO number? I remember putting it in when I registered but I just want to double check! Can't seem to find it anywhere, is it supposed to be on the admission ticket? Slightly freaking out now!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Does anybody know how you can check if acer have your CAO number? I remember putting it in when I registered but I just want to double check! Can't seem to find it anywhere, is it supposed to be on the admission ticket? Slightly freaking out now!! :eek:

I just checked my admission ticket from when I did it (somehow I can still access it after 3 years! :P) and it didn't have my CAO number on it. It should have a candidate number on it though, and you wouldn't have been able to register without the CAO number so I think you can assume that they have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

Oh ok! :D Ya it has a candidate number! I put the CAO in so I suppose it's there somewhere, I think I just need to chill!
    Thanks!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Oh ok! :D Ya it has a candidate number! I put the CAO in so I suppose it's there somewhere, I think I just need to chill!
    Thanks!! :D

Don't worry about it, they'll have to check candidate numbers against CAO numbers and names before they release the results anyway. Best of luck! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

yes, i had a mini panic attack there too! if you go to the very first email you got from "HPAT-Ireland Online Registration", it contains your details, including your CAO number, which indicates that ACER have your correct number, and all will be fine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 raindrop

Tomorrow is The day! Good luck to everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Hey, I got a letter from CAO.
    Our records show that you have applied for at least one Undergraduate
    Medicine course for entry in September 2012.

If you are due to undertake the current year HPAT test, I wish to remind you
    of the importance of submitting to ACER of your correct CAO Application Number.

ACER will supply to CAO your current year Irish HPAT results based on your
    2012 CAO Application Number.

If this number is incorrect, we will not receive your results.

Please log onto your ACER - HPAT account and ensure that they have your correct
    CAO Number.

Where can I do this? Also, on the admission ticket, it says I have to write a number down? What number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Hey guys, just wanted to say good luck to everyone (especially my co-UCD oratory people ;)) I'm surprisingly calm as I'm not in a good state health wise at the minute.

Anyway, future doctors, best of luck!!

Could someone please answer its urgent!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ambaiste

As someone else said above, just check your initial email from HPAT to see if the CAO number they have is correct.

Ambaiste wrote: »
    As someone else said above, just check your initial email from HPAT to see if the CAO number they have is correct.
    What about the number you have to put on the admission ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ambaiste

BL1993 wrote: »
    What about the number you have to put on the admission ticket?

That's just the number on your form of identification.

• Advertisement

The only number on my form of Idenifcation is my PPS number which I got the secretary to put on my letter of certification.

Advertisement