Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Cups 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Watched the Clongowes game today with a few of their past pupils. Have to say, bar the first 20mins, Clongowes were very impressive. Their scrum is the best I've seen at schools level. Don't see Terenure or Michaels stopping them. Their pack just seem to strong and athletic and simply too good for other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Clongowes front row are absolutely incredible.

The power and then the deft handling skills shown by the byrne brothers is seriously impressive stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

What do people think of zagas chances against terenure on thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

gfitz95 wrote: »
    What do people think of zagas chances against terenure on thursday?

not much , they barely scraped passed gerards, and there record at quarters is dreadful

- cant see anyone getting past such a strong (yet again) Clongowes team/pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm just glad that Fred Cogley's gone. I had to mute the games when he was commentating.

Good old Fred is a gent but definitely getting a bit forgetful in recent years.....

'AND BLACKROCK HAVE WON THE CUP!!!!.......I MEAN TERENURE HAVE WON THE CUP!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Doubt if he ever said that-Fred was a Mary's man...

Terenure are 1/12 to win tomorrow or -15 on the handicap. Are 'Zaga really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Podhod7

If Zaga are to cause any trouble to Nure any ideas of their attacking threats to Nure? Backs or Forwards gonna cause much hassle to Nure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Doubt if he ever said that-Fred was a Mary's man...

Terenure are 1/12 to win tomorrow or -15 on the handicap. Are 'Zaga really that bad?

Zaga beat them in the league this year.
    They were 15 points down in that game & came back to win by a point.

Terenure are favourites, but 15 point spread is a bit too high.

Zaga's threats will come from the boot of Leinster u-18 academy outhalf Conor McKeon at 10, the strike running from Ireland u-19 full back & captain Jacj Fitzpatrick, the wingers Andy Marks (a 4th year) & Jack Phelan & a pack that graft hard & get through phases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Expecting nure to clinch it setting up a scintillating semi final show down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Good start by nure, not sure if it was knocked on by the nure man when the 2 players tried to go down and gather it though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 howiye89

Anyone want to be a gent and keep the thread updated during the match ?

howiye89 wrote: »
    Anyone want to be a gent and keep the thread updated during the match ?

Nure 5-0 up after 10

5-3 after 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 howiye89

Cheers keep em coming pls

Nure 8-3 up after 28

Still 8-3, half time. Nure had the wind in the first half. Good game of rugby so far

15-3 after 50 mins

22-3, lucky block down try, 10 mins left

22-8, only a couple of minutes left. Nure down to 14

Full time 22-8. Good match. Two good teams. Best player on the pitch was the zaga outhalf. Schidmt was very good when he came on for nure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

Terenure are very average it must be said and in my opinion will struggle to get within 15 of Clongowes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

nure were undoubtably the stronger team but the bravery of gonzaga in their defence was amazing. Another cracker of a match where both teams gave it their all. Deft pair of hands on the zaga outhalf.....

next match will be a cracker....if cwc leak the amount of missed tackles as per their 1st half perforamnce against knock they'll be in a world of doo doo v nure....on the flip side nure are in for a big step up in respect to pack presence v cwc.

a much tighter match awaits......roll on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Terenure are very average it must be said and in my opinion will struggle to get within 15 of Clongowes

Would you offer evens or 5/6 on Terenure with a 15/16 point start? I'd be interested in some of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

The Gonzaga outhalf Conor McKeon was very impressive. He has great hands and frequently got a lot of distance on his kicks even from tight angles. Billy Dardis was Terenure's best player. He made ground every time he got the ball and scored a terrific try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Jedwardian wrote: »
    The Gonzaga outhalf Conor McKeon was very impressive. He has great hands and frequently got a lot of distance on his kicks even from tight angles. Billy Dardis was Terenure's best player. He made ground every time he got the ball and scored a terrific try.

He was excellent against Rock as well, every time he got the ball he looked dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I don't think anyone could have or will and the only thing to blame is the sheer quality of Clongowes.

Just back-good enough game but Terenure I felt were far more superior than the scoreline suggests. I thought their back row were excellent-the amount of turnovers they one was unbelievable. I thought Paddy Thornton Terenure's no 7 was their best player. Brewer was excellent-the guy is just huge for a 16 year old and put in some massive hits. Tim Schmidt looks a class act at SH and Terenure must be tempted to start him against Clongowes. McKeon and Fitzpatrick were Gonzaga's best players. Terenure Clongowes is going to be some match. I wonder when it will be re-arranged for?

PS David Doyle was lucky not to be sent off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

PS David Doyle was lucky not to be sent off

He was. Or do you mean red carded?

Hagz wrote: »
    He was. Or do you mean red carded?

Sorry-I thought he was lucky not to see red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Just back - thought Terenure were far more superior than the score line suggested

Eh, what game were you watching??

A try in 1st 90 seconds, then one break away try when Zaga were in Nure 22 from an attacking line out & one charged down box kick.

Zaga winger stopped 3 yards from line after great break.

Zaga defense was immense.

Terenure were rattled at half time with the score at 8-3 facing into a stiff breeze in 2nd half & they got the bounce of the ball a few times.

That said, Terenure were the better team, they had a better bench and had more strength in depth.
    They were bigger physically in almost every single position and they were dominant at the breakdown and won lots of turnover ball

They knew they were in a game today, and for you to say the winning margin should have been higher is absolute sh1t€ talk.

If anything. It should have been & could have been a one score game such was the effort of the Gonzaga defence

Advertisement