Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well I've failed in both the UK ballots so far so will be trying again. Assuming that the 20,000 people who thought they were sold swimming tickets don't buy up all the 1 millions tickets first.

If not I'll have to make do with my beach volleyball tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

It just seems like another way for LOCOG to break everyones hearts again.

Best of luck to those applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

04072511 wrote: »
    It is unfair. We applied in both the first and 2nd round for athletics tickets: Heats and finals, and got nothing. However because we did get our token other sport (women's boxing semi finals) we wont have first choice to the athletics tickets! :mad:

So people who got nothing post application in the 1st round lottery have an Athletics ticket advantage? WOW! Applying for the 2nd 'first come, first served' round, and getting nothing, is irrelevant cos you could have missed that and it wouldn't matter. The numbers of applicants will still be huge, but chances are significantly increased from January (i.e. where anyone at all could apply, previous applicants or not ), and as there are more tickets avail (Channel 4 and BBC to thank for that no doubt).

I got nothing and agree it's unfair. Anyone who applied 1st time round should be eligible.

Would be happy to help you out if I thought applying for an increased number would yield the same chances.....................I'm looking for the Thurs, Fri , Sat nights.

Related article with more (potential) specifics...........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17098550

including............"Reports suggest the number of tickets per buyer will be limited, and that once an applicant is successful they will not be allowed to purchase any more".

Looks like 2 tickets to an event. Thus far shalt thou go and no further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

So people who got nothing post application in the 1st round lottery have an Athletics ticket advantage? WOW! Applying for the 2nd 'first come, first served' round, and getting nothing, is irrelevant cos you could have missed that and it wouldn't matter. The numbers of applicants will still be huge, but chances are significantly increased from January (i.e. where anyone at all could apply, previous applicants or not ), and as there are more tickets avail (Channel 4 and BBC to thank for that no doubt).

I got nothing and agree it's unfair. Anyone who applied 1st time round should be eligible.

Would be happy to help you out if I thought applying for an increased number would yield the same chances.....................I'm looking for the Thurs, Fri , Sat nights.

(Previous user name on this thread Bella M.)

We applied for the first round and got no tickets. We got tickets in the 2nd round though, but for womens boxing. Not sure how the 20,000 people with first choice is decided but I would imagine if your credit card has purchased tickets at any stage (either first or second rounds) then that would surely rule you out.

• Advertisement

We applied for the first round and got no tickets. We got tickets in the 2nd round though, but for womens boxing. Not sure how the 20,000 people with first choice is decided but I would imagine if your credit card has purchased tickets at any stage (either first or second rounds) then that would surely rule you out.

Agree.

It would be your registration account thou, not credit card. So a way round it would be to find someone who has a registered account, applied first time, got nothing and is now not interested in applying for themself/themselves in April.

Had applied for women's boxing myself. If, by that last article above, event tickets are to be released in batches, then if the Athletics Wednesday evening session is an option BEFORE let's say the Saturday evening session, then would I take the Wednesday rather then gamble it all on the Saturday?? Hell yes! This is not for the faint of heart :eek:

Agree.

It would be your registration account thou, not credit card. So a way round it would be to find someone who has a registered account, applied first time, got nothing and is now not interested in applying for themself/themselves in April.

Had applied for women's boxing myself. If, by that last article above, event tickets are to be released in batches, then if the Athletics Wednesday evening session is an option BEFORE let's say the Saturday evening session, then would I take the Wednesday rather then gamble it all on the Saturday?? Hell yes! This is not for the faint of heart :eek:

It’s painful. At the risk of sounding like one of those League of Ireland guys when giving out about the Premiership, I bought 9 lovely evening session tickets (along with a few morning sessions) for Daegu, from the comfort of my own house. No rush, no panic. Could be purchased whenever you wished. And for about 10% of the price of London, and you could wander anywhere around the stadium and chat to the athletes. Same athletes. Very similar standard (granted athletes try to peak for Olympics so may be slightly higher quality in London, but not by much). As a genuine athletics fanatic it is a bit of a sickener not having a ticket for the stadium, and to be so priced out of the majority of the tickets. Such is life though! I’ll still thoroughly enjoy the games, but more than likely from Hyde Park with a bag of cans by my side, or in the Irish House (if the OCI ever get their finger out and organise it properly!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I already have some tickets, I was joking, hence the smiley face.

Oh.......800 posts and I still havent got the hang of boards! I thought that was an angry face!

I have some as well. The penultimate night, with the 4x100m and Mo Farah among others

Seriously though, its good to see more tickets coming on line

It’s painful. At the risk of sounding like one of those League of Ireland guys when giving out about the Premiership, I bought 9 lovely evening session tickets (along with a few morning sessions) for Daegu, from the comfort of my own house. No rush, no panic. Could be purchased whenever you wished. And for about 10% of the price of London, and you could wander anywhere around the stadium and chat to the athletes. Same athletes. Very similar standard (granted athletes try to peak for Olympics so may be slightly higher quality in London, but not by much).

Indeed, and tickets to the Crystal Palace Diamond League 2 weeks before the olympics are now priced at £16 per ticket. Same athletes as you say. Between that, Oslo and Zurich i'll be watching live athletics with REAL athletics fans. Not the plastic ones at the olympic stadium.

How many people applying for tickets even know what the diamond league is? They should be quizzed one by one on entering the park and their tickets given to real fans if they're wrong.

Incidentally i have a ticket for the last night of athletics (the Saturday night) so it's not bitterness talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

There have been several posts about the Marathon not being a great spectator event, however I reckon this Olympic route will be better than most.

It's four laps: a 2.2 Mile loop around Westminster to begin with, then three 8 mile loops around central London. Start and Finish are in the Mall - the same finish line as the London Marathon.

Jpeg of route attached - hope it comes out OK - you'll need to zoom to see detail properly.

Route Map: Tried attaching, but wouldn't upload, so file is HERE - don't forget to zoom, otherwise you miss the detail.

• Advertisement

Condo131 wrote: »
    There have been several posts about the Marathon not being a great spectator event, however I reckon this Olympic route will be better than most.

It's four laps: a 2.2 Mile loop around Westminster to begin with, then three 8 mile loops around central London. Start and Finish are in the Mall - the same finish line as the London Marathon.

Jpeg of route attached - hope it comes out OK - you'll need to zoom to see detail properly.

Route Map: Tried attaching, but wouldn't upload, so file is HERE - don't forget to zoom, otherwise you miss the detail.

Cheers for that. The bit around the city is fairly dull (apart from the tower) but the west end part makes up for it.

Embankment (by Cleopatra's Needle) looks like the best spectator point. The front of the palace/tower U turn will be mobbed i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I applied in the ballot and got nothing. I then tried in the 2nd round sales which was first come, first served and still got nothing. During the 2nd round I had tickets in my basket and submitted the application then 2 days later was told I got nothing. Not sure if that makes me one of the 20,000 or not.

I managed to get 1 ticket for the Wednesday on a Dutch site and that was it, however I really want to see the 5000m on the Saturday and the 200m final on the Thursday so I will probably try to get a ticket for those and that's it.

I'd like to see the 100m and 10,000m however it turns out there's a wedding on then so I probably wouldn't have been able to go anyway.

G-Money wrote: »
    I applied in the ballot and got nothing. I then tried in the 2nd round sales which was first come, first served and still got nothing. During the 2nd round I had tickets in my basket and submitted the application then 2 days later was told I got nothing. Not sure if that makes me one of the 20,000 or not.

I managed to get 1 ticket for the Wednesday on a Dutch site and that was it, however I really want to see the 5000m on the Saturday and the 200m final on the Thursday so I will probably try to get a ticket for those and that's it.

I'd like to see the 100m and 10,000m however it turns out there's a wedding on then so I probably wouldn't have been able to go anyway.

Ya you'll be in the 20,000. Don't see why not. Apply for your max allocation for the athletics tickets, there's no shortage of boardsies that will chop your hand off for any spares.

It would want to be a fairly important wedding to turn down 100m final tickets. I'd postpone my own wedding for those :p

It would want to be a fairly important wedding to turn down 100m final tickets. I'd postpone my own wedding for those :p

Yeah, well it's a cousin and we all grew up together and everything and it seems like bad form to make other plans :) Even though I'd love to see the 10,000m and 100m final.

Ya you'll be in the 20,000. Don't see why not. Apply for your max allocation for the athletics tickets, there's no shortage of boardsies that will chop your hand off for any spares.

The info, thus far, is once you get 2 tickets that's it, you can't apply for more.

G-Money - feck the wedding. Tell them now you'll be in London (even if you're watching it at home :cool:). Nothing worse than havin to suffer thru the 1st dance as they all line up on the starting blocks!

It’s painful. At the risk of sounding like one of those League of Ireland guys when giving out about the Premiership, I bought 9 lovely evening session tickets (along with a few morning sessions) for Daegu, from the comfort of my own house. No rush, no panic. Could be purchased whenever you wished. And for about 10% of the price of London, and you could wander anywhere around the stadium and chat to the athletes. Same athletes. Very similar standard (granted athletes try to peak for Olympics so may be slightly higher quality in London, but not by much). As a genuine athletics fanatic it is a bit of a sickener not having a ticket for the stadium, and to be so priced out of the majority of the tickets. Such is life though! I’ll still thoroughly enjoy the games, but more than likely from Hyde Park with a bag of cans by my side, or in the Irish House (if the OCI ever get their finger out and organise it properly!).

I just go to The Olympics, and watch the rest on telly. Having applied for Athens and Beijing, this is indeed painful. Yeah, ye know, you are deserving of tickets, as are the athletes deserving of your supportive, fanatical presence but what can ye do apart from register 'real fans' who have previously travelled to get first refusal? There're be no tickets left then, and The Olympics is different. Seb Coe et Al have made a hames of it. They should also have left the prices as previously.

The info, thus far, is once you get 2 tickets that's it, you can't apply for more.

G-Money - feck the wedding. Tell them now you'll be in London (even if you're watching it at home :cool:). Nothing worse than havin to suffer thru the 1st dance as they all line up on the starting blocks!

I wonder if it's 2 tickets per event or 2 tickets across a range of events?

Indeed, and tickets to the Crystal Palace Diamond League 2 weeks before the olympics are now priced at £16 per ticket. Same athletes as you say. Between that, Oslo and Zurich i'll be watching live athletics with REAL athletics fans. Not the plastic ones at the olympic stadium.

How many people applying for tickets even know what the diamond league is? They should be quizzed one by one on entering the park and their tickets given to real fans if they're wrong.

Incidentally i have a ticket for the last night of athletics (the Saturday night) so it's not bitterness talking.

Stop asking the difficult questions :eek::confused::eek::confused:

I wonder if it's 2 tickets per event or 2 tickets across a range of events?

I'm reading it as the latter. Which would equate with the majority of people who have had 'some success' previously, not being party to this next round (i.e. something is better than nothing).

Haha, funny you guys should mention weddings. I was down in Cork at my cousins wedding in 2009, the night Gilly was running in the 400m final at teh World Championships. He was due on at a certain time, so 10 minutes before than time, not only did I get up and walk out of the dining area, but took 4-5 of my cousins with me. As it turns out there was a huge delay in the programme and the 400m final wasnt on for another 30 minutes. Rather than go back we stayed in the bar and watched Allyson Felix smoke the field in the 200m final. Eventually after 45 minutes away from the table, we got back just in time for the speaches. Don't think many even realised we were gone.

Gillick takes priority ahead of the speaches. Always!

• Advertisement

Haha, funny you guys should mention weddings. I was down in Cork at my cousins wedding in 2009, the night Gilly was running in the 400m final at teh World Championships. He was due on at a certain time, so 10 minutes before than time, not only did I get up and walk out of the dining area, but took 4-5 of my cousins with me. As it turns out there was a huge delay in the programme and the 400m final wasnt on for another 30 minutes. Rather than go back we stayed in the bar and watched Allyson Felix smoke the field in the 200m final. Eventually after 45 minutes away from the table, we got back just in time for the speaches. Don't think many even realised we were gone.

Gillick takes priority ahead of the speaches. Always!

Good idea, I never thought of looking for a TV at the thing to watch it. I had thought about recording it and trying to avoid any news or results until I got to watch it back.

Good idea, I never thought of looking for a TV at the thing to watch it. I had thought about recording it and trying to avoid any news or results until I got to watch it back.

Absolutely. Trust me, the Bride and Groom won't have a notion you've disappeared to watch U.Bolt, and even if they did, they wouldn't give a toss, they'd be too in love to give a sh1t (or so you would hope!).

My cousin pissed off at a wedding years ago to go get some McDonalds. Very few people realised he was gone. There's so many at a Wedding, you will just be a needle in a haystack!

Absolutely. Trust me, the Bride and Groom won't have a notion you've disappeared to watch U.Bolt, and even if they did, they wouldn't give a toss, they'd be too in love to give a sh1t (or so you would hope!).

My cousin pissed off at a wedding years ago to go get some McDonalds. Very few people realised he was gone. There's so many at a Wedding, you will just be a needle in a haystack!

Trust me, The Bride misses nothing.

Hence I would like to dispel this myth from the get-go.

Along with (moaning) pregnant women, brides are the most annoying things. (If you currently own one of these "things", I take it all back :rolleyes:)

My sister got married last summer, the venue had no TVs. Nada. Use the money you'd spend on the day, on another day in London. Don't forgot to show us the photos!

Use the money you'd spend on the day, on another day in London. Don't forgot to show us the photos!

Tempting alright, but I'm hoping to go from the Wednesday through to the Saturday when the 5000m is on (if I get any more tickets that is). Going over the weekend before would just add to the expense.

I might possibly stay for the marathon on the Sunday but as someone else said, I don't know how good of a spectator event it would be. Although if Haile get's picked, I would love to see him run, ditto for Geoffrey Mutai.

Tempting alright, but I'm hoping to go from the Wednesday through to the Saturday when the 5000m is on (if I get any more tickets that is). Going over the weekend before would just add to the expense.

I might possibly stay for the marathon on the Sunday but as someone else said, I don't know how good of a spectator event it would be. Although if Haile get's picked, I would love to see him run, ditto for Geoffrey Mutai.

Was thinking you could add another day (either side of the Wednesday) if you didn't get any more tickets to enjoy the festivities/free events. Thou I think I said that months ago!!

Was thinking you could add another day (either side of the Wednesday) if you didn't get any more tickets to enjoy the festivities/free events. Thou I think I said that months ago!!

Yeah, will see how it goes. In an ideal world I'd get a ticket for the Thursday and the Saturday. A couple of guys I know are going on the Thursday so while I wouldn't get to sit with them, I'd at least be able to hang about with them before and after the event if I wanted to.

Not sure about trying to get Friday tickets, although there's a few nice events on that night too.

Will see how it goes anyway, I might not be entitled to buy during this 24 hour window anyway!

Yeah, will see how it goes. In an ideal world I'd get a ticket for the Thursday and the Saturday. A couple of guys I know are going on the Thursday so while I wouldn't get to sit with them, I'd at least be able to hang about with them before and after the event if I wanted to.

Not sure about trying to get Friday tickets, although there's a few nice events on that night too.

Will see how it goes anyway, I might not be entitled to buy during this 24 hour window anyway!

I'd be pretty happy to watch it anywhere in the stadium with the other 79,999. If you're not on 'The Honours List', then neither am I!

I'd be pretty happy to watch it anywhere in the stadium with the other 79,999. If you're not on 'The Honours List', then neither am I!

Did you get tickets to any event (not just athletics) through either the ballot or the 2nd sale which was first come, first served? If so, I think perhaps you might not be on that list.

I missed out in both sales.

The ticket I did get was through a Dutch resale website.

Did you get tickets to any event (not just athletics) through either the ballot or the 2nd sale which was first come, first served? If so, I think perhaps you might not be on that list.

I missed out in both sales.

The ticket I did get was through a Dutch resale website.

Yes, applied twice.
    No, have nothing.

• Advertisement

Yes, applied twice.
    No, have nothing.

Ah ok, I must have confused you with someone else or misread a previous post. I thought you had got tickets or some other event like netball or boxing or something.

With a bit of luck we'll both be in that 20,000 list.

Advertisement