Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Well I ain't paying for them. I have enough trouble paying my own fcuk ups.

taytolover, I said it to you before, your wasting your time with donalg.
    I took him off my ignore list there just to see if he's still trotting out the same BS and guess what, he is.

Only difference this week is that we now know that one of his main reasons for paying is because Mick Wallace says not to. That's some reason...

Even though you say, like myself, that you will and do pay all your other taxes,he still fires out the old "I assume that you aren't paying your motor tax this year", "Or any other tax for that matter". Ridiculous!

You cannot debate with people like this so it's back to the ignore list for donal.

You can't debate gerry because you have nothing to say other than an attack on the poster at least tayto makes a good argument and attacks the post unlike yourself who just spouts the same old nonsense and can't back anything up

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »
    But you haven't paid for them yet apparently you said your motor tax and other taxes paid for bond holders

I pay ALL my taxes But will not pay the Household Tax. They can do what they like with the taxes I do pay as I will not be paying a Household Tax. If they pay all the other taxes I pay towards bondholders/banks etc (as I suspect they do) then so be it. No Household Tax from me.

But you haven't paid for them yet apparently you said your motor tax and other taxes paid for bond holders

I pay ALL my taxes But will not pay the Household Tax. They can do what they like with the taxes I do pay as I will not be paying a Household Tax. If they pay all the other taxes I pay towards bondholders/banks etc (as I suspect they do) then so be it. No Household Tax from me.

That's fine as I have said before its your choice. But my point was that you can't really complain about the lack of repairs to the roads if you refuse to pay the household charge that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

mikom wrote: »
    The official site.

Your opinion on this revelation?

The twelve year limitation applies to length of time in which interest can be charged on a non-payment of the initial €100 household charge.

After twelve years, the charge & interest still applies. And it will still apply - as I said earlier - if you try to sell your house 20 years down the line.

And as I said in a previous post - this charge applies to your property & unless you die, there's no getting away from paying it.

Most people here complaining about the charge probably pay more for 2 to 3 months internet service, yet they claim not to be able to afford to pay this.

I'm not a fan of this charge, but I find that most of the arguments being used as reasons for not being able to pay it are as disingenuous as the myths being perpetuated about the application of the charge & the statues that brought it into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That's fine as I have said before its your choice. But my point was that you can't really complain about the lack of repairs to the roads if you refuse to pay the household charge that's all

Do you think the Government has been dishonest by not telling us that the Road Tax and other taxes have been diverted to Banks and Bondholders ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Do you think the Government has been dishonest by not telling us that the Road Tax and other taxes have been diverted to Banks and Bondholders ?
    Don't forget the VRT you paid on your car + the VAT on top of that + the 60-65% tax you pay on fuel. Add to that the toll charges, parking charges & vehicle testing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

if i recall that is in the Constitution. they can centralise all taxes and distribute according to the needs as determined by the government. now that from memory so dont hold me to that, if i get a chance i will check it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Isn't that what our road tax (which was increased) is meant to cover?

There's a protest planned for Saturday 25th Feb in Enniscorthy @ 10am against this charge.The fact that a local Fine Gael TD awarded himself a €17,000 pay rise hasn't helped sate peoples anger about this tax either.

The govt are always dishonest. But I didn't say road tax is paying them. The local government fund is made up of motor tax receipts and since the introduction of the carbon based emissions band rates the level of income generated by motor tax has fallen significantly. Couple this with a drop in government grants and eu grants and subsidies plus a drop in the level of collection of commercial rates, a drop in planning contributions and more mortgages in arrears and rent accounts in arrears then local authorities will have seen a huge reduction in revenue and therefore new ways of financing local government have had to be looked at.

When they give me back the €32,000 I paid in stamp duty on my house, then I'll pay the household charge. There's a lot of people on here saying it's only a hundred quid. Well it is now but next year or the year after, it'll be many multiples of that. Throw in your water rates and you won't get change out of a grand. So that's two grand you have to earn to pay one grand out of your net pay. And for what???? Local services??? Seeing as we already pay for these out of our PAYE and motor tax, we're paying on the double.

And what pray tell are these local services? I pay a private company to collect my bins. I have a septic tank that I have to pay to maintain and empty it. I have my own well for water. My road is pothole ridden. If I call out the fire brigade, they'll charge me €500. There is no street lighting near my house. So what exactly am I supposed to pay this charge for????

No need to respond as I know - the banker's and builder's debts.

You either knew exactly what you were getting when you bought a house with a large tax on it and no connection to mains water or sewerage or you are very stupid indeed.

There are many more local services that local authorities provide other than providing services to people who choose - yes choose - to live in areas that don't have them.

This may well be yet another tax to pay off other people's debts, but the "I already pay my own way" line that many rural dwellers spout out at times like these, is quite frankly a load of bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The Income and Expenditure accounts are fairly transparant. I don't really see where the dishonesty is.

No one seems to mention the deficit at all, which is the primary reason for increased taxes and reduced services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

And can you not see that maybe the reason the roads are in a bad state is because there is no money to pay for them? You can't complain about potholes if you aren't prepared to pay your taxes.

Hi Donal.

I pay €580 a year on my motor tax.
    I also pay approx €40 a week on tolls, Naas to airport, airport to port tunnel, port tunnel back to airport, and airport to home in the evenings again.

That's give or take two grand a year for Christs sake.

My job requires me to drive to these places, its part of life, no point complaining about it.

But, for you to defend the state of or roads is laughable.

A classic example of paying twice for something right there! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dvpower wrote: »
    The Income and Expenditure accounts are fairly transparant. I don't really see where the dishonesty is.

No one seems to mention the deficit at all, which is the primary reason for increased taxes and reduced services.

I'd start by cutting the waste in this country before I'd try and monetise the family home.

You either knew exactly what you were getting when you bought a house with a large tax on it and no connection to mains water or sewerage or you are very stupid indeed.

There are many more local services that local authorities provide other than providing services to people who choose - yes choose - to live in areas that don't have them.

This may well be yet another tax to pay off other people's debts, but the "I already pay my own way" line that many rural dwellers spout out at times like these, is quite frankly a load of bollox.

I pay €300 per year for a service contract on my bio-cycle unit to keep it in top working condition, I also paid over €10,000 to have it installed.
    How much do you pay yearly for sewerage treatment?

Ghandee wrote: »
    Hi Donal.

I pay €580 a year on my motor tax.
    I also pay approx €40 a week on tolls, Naas to airport, airport to port tunnel, port tunnel back to airport, and airport to home in the evenings again.

That's give or take two grand a year for Christs sake.

My job requires me to drive to these places, its part of life, no point complaining about it.

But, for you to defend the state of or roads is laughable.

A classic example of paying twice for something right there! :cool:

Where did I defend the state of the roads? I said the reason they are so bad is because there isnt enough money to repair them, which I think is the opposite of defending them dont you?:cool:

I pay €300 per year for a service contract on my bio-cycle unit to keep it in top working condition, I also paid over €10,000 to have it installed.

You chose to live there and pay that though didnt you?

More than that. But I chose to live in a rural area, so it was my choice & I don't expect anyone else to pay for it, nor do I whinge about it as if it was something that was inherently unfair.

Where did I defend the state of the roads? I said the reason they are so bad is because there isnt enough money to repair them, which I think is the opposite of defending them dont you?:cool:

How can there possibly not be enough to repair then though:confused:

we have among the highest yearly road tax in Europe, taxed to the hilt on fuel, carbon taxed and yet they still toll loads of roads:confused:

Motor tax + tolled road = paying twice for the same service (more or less) or am I missing something?

More than that. But I chose to live in a rural area, so it was my choice & I don't expect anyone else to pay for it, nor do I whinge about it as if it was something that was inherently unfair.
    Yea, but people choose to live in urban areas and expect rural dwellers to cough up some of their taxes to pay for treating their sewerage too.
    I'm not whinging about it but it is a valid point.
    BTW, how much is your service contract costing you?

we have among the highest yearly road tax in Europe, taxed to the hilt on fuel, carbon taxed and yet they still toll loads of roads:confused:

Motor tax + tolled road = paying twice for the same service (more or less) or am I missing something?

Yes you are missing the main point, you see Motor Tax doesnt solely pay for the Roads it pays for all local services as I pointed out previously your €580 is centralised and then sent back to LA's as part of the Local Government Fund which is used to cover every aspect of a LA's budget and functions. As for tolls well they are generally placed on roads that have been built by PPP and a condition of the contract is that the private company places a toll on the road to recoup their investment otherwise what would be the point in them getting involved?

• Advertisement

They have the motorist by the short & curleys so they can tax motoring as much as they like.
    Years of under investment in public transport means that most people in this country have to own a car.

Yes you are missing the main point, you see Motor Tax doesnt solely pay for the Roads it pays for all local services as I pointed out previously your €580 is centralised and then sent back to LA's as part of the Local Government Fund which is used to cover every aspect of a LA's budget and functions. As for tolls well they are generally placed on roads that have been built by PPP and a condition of the contract is that the private company places a toll on the road to recoup their investment otherwise what would be the point in them getting involved?

Ah, but the household charge is also going to pay for local services.

So, essentially if you own a car, and you own a house, your paying twice for the same service?

Your not really winning your argument Donal.

I do agree with some of your points made, but for us to be expected to pay twice for one service is ridiculous. Give me that at least?

Yea, but people choose to live in urban areas and expect rural dwellers to cough up some of their taxes to pay for treating their sewerage too.
    I'm not whinging about it but it is a valid point.
    BTW, how much is your service contract costing you?

Bout three fiddy. :D

Bout three fiddy. :D

I taught it was 'tree fiddy' hoss? :pac:

So, essentially if you own a car, and you own a house, your paying twice for the same service?

I do agree with some of your points made, but for us to be expected to pay twice for one service is ridiculous. Give me that at least?

Not really though you see your motor tax doesnt cover the cost of repairs to the roads so you arent really paying for it you are paying say 80% so the household charge is going to help fund the other 20% so its not like you are paying twice really now is it? You will only be paying once and chances are the money raised by the household charge this year wont cover the full amount hence the planned introduction of a property tax.

That's like me with my mini sewerage treatment plant, I pay for that but I'm also paying for the treatment plant that serves my local town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Not really though you see your motor tax doesnt cover the cost of repairs to the roads so you arent really paying for it you are paying say 80% so the household charge is going to help fund the other 20% so its not like you are paying twice really now is it? You will only be paying once and chances are the money raised by the household charge this year wont cover the full amount hence the planned introduction of a property tax.

Its funny how you differentiate, as if this years payment is not a tax.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Its funny how you differentiate, as if this years payment is not a tax.

Whatever. I am calling them by their names what else would you like me to call them, it is known as the household charge and will be replaced by the property tax its very simple really. I didnt come up with the names so its not really me that is differentiating now is it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Whatever. I am calling them by their names what else would you like me to call them, it is known as the household charge and will be replaced by the property tax its very simple really. I didnt come up with the names so its not really me that is differentiating now is it.:rolleyes:

Ok donal, so its not a tax this year, just a charge. Common sense hey.

Predicts the "attack the poster not the post" auto answer next.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Ok donal, so its not a tax this year, just a charge. Common sense hey.

Predicts the "attack the poster not the post" auto answer next.

Dont be so silly Robbie please ffs. Did I say anything about what it is, no I didnt I explained to you what they are called, I dont think you should be on this thread if you dont know what you are here talking about.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement