Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Ok donal, so its not a tax this year, just a charge. Common sense hey.

Predicts the "attack the poster not the post" auto answer next.
    Whilst doing the exact same thing himself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

gerryo777 wrote: »

Thought you were ignoring me Gerry?

Do you have anything useful or constructive to add to this thread or are you here purely to troll and post silly things that you hope will wind people up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I expect an invoice for a charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

donalg1 wrote: »
    Dont be so silly Robbie please ffs. Did I say anything about what it is, no I didnt I explained to you what they are called,

This is what you said
    chances are the money raised by the household charge this year wont cover the full amount hence the planned introduction of a property tax.

Looks like you see them as two different things there donal.
    You actually believe this tax this year is too small, so they are introducing a new bigger one next year? And next years is a planned introduction?

This household charge is the property tax, simply being increased next year. They kept it at the low level, and avoided calling it what it is, i.e. a property tax, to encourage registration.

Its working donal, they have you fooled.
    I dont think you should be on this thread if you dont know what you are here talking about.;)

Is this your opinion, i need to be knowlegable to post? Very good, the foolishness confirmed. I may be foolish myself, but dont try elevate yourself to your self believed superior ability, with extra rights to post here as a result.

Do you have anything useful or constructive to add to this thread or are you here purely to troll and post silly things that you hope will wind people up?

Well donal, even though your superior ability to be in this thread means this is unusual, i will tell you something you might not know, he is quoting me, and he can see what you wrote in my quotes, while still ignoring you.

• Advertisement

This is what you said

You actually believe this tax this year is too small, so they are introducing a new bigger one next year? And next years is a planned introduction?

This household charge is the property tax, simply being increased next year. They kept it at the low level, and avoided calling it what it is, i.e. a property tax, to encourage registration.

Is this your opinion, i need to be knowlegable to post? Very good, the foolishness confirmed. I may be foolish myself, but dont try elevate yourself to your self believed superior ability, with extra rights to post here as a result.

Robbie, It's not a tax, it's a charge.

Personally I don't give a f**k what it's called because I won't be paying it.

Most people I know won't be paying it either apart from a few and funnily enough 2 of them are teachers and the other 3 or 4 work in different jobs in the PS. I must ask them if someone had a word....

Dont be so silly Robbie please ffs. Did I say anything about what it is, no I didnt I explained to you what they are called,

This is what you said
    chances are the money raised by the household charge this year wont cover the full amount hence the planned introduction of a property tax.

I dont think you should be on this thread if you dont know what you are here talking about.;)

So what you are trying to tell me then is the €100 this year is known as the property tax. Ok so!!

Well donal, even though your superior ability to be in this thread means this is unusual, i will tell you something you might not know, he is quoting me, and he can see what you wrote in my quotes, while still ignoring you.

Ha ha good one the fact he is posting about me means he is not ignoring me. God if I have to explain that to you there really is no point talking to you any more as it is very obvious

A National day of action has been called for the 25th....... this Saturday.

For the Galway folks the rally will start at 2pm in Eyre square.
    Please come and show your opposition to this tax.

(a paraphrase of a text I received from the anti-household charge group)

Check here for upcoming rally points for your own location........ http://nohouseholdtax.org/events1/locations/

So what you are trying to tell me then is the €100 this year is a property tax.

At last, now your getting it. Good lad.

• Advertisement

So what you are trying to tell me then is the €100 this year is a the property tax.

At last, now your getting it. Good lad.

Oh right sorry I was under the impression it was called the household charge. I wonder if the mods could change the name of the thread then. You should ask them. Oh while you are at it you might want to inform the organisers of the anti campaign as most of the events and notices they are organising refer to the household charge. People might get confused you see.

Unfortunately for you, you're unable to edit my original post to suit your own posts and can only edit my post in your responses. Shame for you that isn't it robbie oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned already but we are not obliged to pay it unless we actually go on the website and register to pay it. Something about it being a statute/act of government - which basically means the government are asking us to pay this but we don't have to give our consent and they can do nothing about it if we don't. I'm not very good at explaining this...!

Anyway if enough people refuse to pay it do people honestly think they will drag each and every person through the courts? Cos I'm sure there will be a LOT of people not paying it

Ha ha good one the fact he is posting about me means he is not ignoring me. God if I have to explain that to you there really is no point talking to you any more as it is very obvious

Yes it is obvious. Your arguing about words. Thats fair enough. its not a tax this year, only a charge. When will i be invoiced for this charge?

leahyl wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned already but we are not obliged to pay it unless we actually go on the website and register to pay it. Something about it being a statute/act of government - which basically means the government are asking us to pay this but we don't have to give our consent and they can do nothing about it if we don't. I'm not very good at explaining this...!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is obvious. Your arguing about words. Thats fair enough. its not a tax this year, only a charge. When will i be invoiced for this charge?

Hold on here now robbie you are the one that started arguing about the words not me so I really think you are now arguing with yourself.

When did I say you would be invoiced for this charge? Don't imagine you will answer that question as you never seem able to answer my questions.

Anyway if enough people refuse to pay it do people honestly think they will drag each and every person through the courts? Cos I'm sure there will be a LOT of people not paying it

Don't think that statute argument will fly but mass non payment by the public will.
    DON'T REGISTER - DON'T PAY

mikom wrote: »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok please explain?! I clearly haven't read the whole thread :-P

+1

Think there should be a must read message before posting here that explains about the statute nonsense so nobody posts it again

The statute thing has been done a few times now, hence the Arrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Towards the bottom of this page onwards............ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056353782&page=10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A National day of action has been called for the 25th....... this Saturday.

For the Galway folks the rally will start at 2pm in Eyre square.
    Please come and show your opposition to this tax.

(a paraphrase of a text I received from the anti-household charge group)

Check here for upcoming rally points for your own location........ http://nohouseholdtax.org/events1/locations/

I really don't get the point in these protests. It's already been brought into law through a statutory instrument. There's zero chance of the government doing a u-turn on this one.

There was a window of opportunity for protesting against tax hikes when the budget was announced, but there was no public outcry, no protests - not one person took to the streets to oppose the household charge until now, when effectively it is too late to do anything about it.

Add to that the fact that the hikes in VAT, motor tax, petrol, the carbon tax and the decreases in various social payments will by far cost people a lot more money than this charge, it strikes me as very odd that this is the only budget measure that is being met with any type of protest or outcry.

It's like complaining that someone has broken a pane of glass on a window in your house rather than worrying about the fact that they've stolen half the contents.

+1

Think there should be a must read message before posting here that explains about the statute nonsense so nobody posts it again

Would someone mind explaining to me what's wrong with this info then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I really don't get the point in these protests. It's already been brought into law through a statutory instrument. There's zero chance of the government doing a u-turn on this one.

There was a window of opportunity for protesting against tax hikes when the budget was announced, but there was no public outcry, no protests - not one person took to the streets to oppose the household charge until now, when effectively it is too late to do anything about it.

Add to that the fact that the hikes in VAT, motor tax, petrol, the carbon tax and the decreases in various social payments will by far cost people a lot more money than this charge, it strikes me as very odd that this is the only budget measure that is being met with any type of protest or outcry.

It's like complaining that someone has broken a pane of glass on a window in your house rather than worrying about the fact that they've stolen half the contents.

This government is starting to become notable for its U-turns..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

To summarize - it's complete bollox.

Read from here down............ *still looking for link

Thanks for that - however I still believe that mass refusal to pay will make the government back down pretty fast - just my opinion.

We could probably do with a constitutional lawyer on here for that one.

There's zero chance of the government doing a u-turn on this one.

*Bookmarked*
    Thanks for that - however I still believe that mass refusal to pay will make the government back down pretty fast - just my opinion.

You might be right, but it's got nothing to do with that freeman statute lark.

And he'd probably tell us what starbelgrade just told us.

• Advertisement

There's zero chance of the government doing a u-turn on this one.

*Bookmarked*

You might be right, but it's got nothing to do with that freeman statute lark.

Yes I realise that now :-) that's how my dad is playing it anyway - no bloody way is he paying it :-D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement