Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

mikom wrote: »
    The official site.

Your opinion on this revelation?

Do you know if the charge is automatically taken off the title of the house after twelve years or does the owner have to get a deed of discharge to remove it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

donalg1 wrote: »
    Do you know if the charge is automatically taken off the title of the house after twelve years or does the owner have to get a deed of discharge to remove it?

I was advised at my local protest meeting that such a query is currently being looked into by their legal team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Your opinion on this revelation?
    Its very interesting.
    On the one hand it could be seen as putting a limit on the total amount that a person can be hit for. On the other hand, if they're at risk of losing money, maybe they won't have a laissez faire attitude to collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I was advised at my local protest meeting that such a query is currently being looked into by their legal team.

Thats just for this €100 charge then?
    There will be the following years outstanding also, up to the point of sale anyway, as long as the property tax remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

If it appears as a charge on the title to the property, i.e. on the Folio well in that case AFAIK the PRA will only accept a deed of discharge signed by the owner of the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

What really gets me going is how TD's are protesting against it. Surely they should be up for aiding tax evasion?

Groinshot wrote: »
    What really gets me going is how TD's are protesting against it. Surely they should be up for aiding tax evasion?

Anyone that has not paid, up to today, has evaded tax have they?

Im not refusing to pay. But i dont agree with it so i am not going to take time out of my day filling something out to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Anyone that has not paid, up to today, has evaded tax have they?
    Its not due yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

When they give me back the €32,000 I paid in stamp duty on my house, then I'll pay the household charge. There's a lot of people on here saying it's only a hundred quid. Well it is now but next year or the year after, it'll be many multiples of that. Throw in your water rates and you won't get change out of a grand. So that's two grand you have to earn to pay one grand out of your net pay. And for what???? Local services??? Seeing as we already pay for these out of our PAYE and motor tax, we're paying on the double.

And what pray tell are these local services? I pay a private company to collect my bins. I have a septic tank that I have to pay to maintain and empty it. I have my own well for water. My road is pothole ridden. If I call out the fire brigade, they'll charge me €500. There is no street lighting near my house. So what exactly am I supposed to pay this charge for????

No need to respond as I know - the banker's and builder's debts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

This is about individual choice, either pay it or don't.

The time for dissent is long past, the time for recovery is where we are at now. Mistakes have been made, but to learn from your mistakes you must first recover from them.

The country needs to recover it's sovereignty, we won't do it without meeting the obligations we have made to our creditors, the one's that are paying our national bills. By not paying this tax, they will just move it to an increase in income tax whether through work or welfare. This decision will be made from outside our country, decisions that we need to get back to the position of making as a sovereign nation.

You can forget about this 'sovereign nation' idea.
    Ireland, as long as it stays in the EU/eurozone will never be a sovereign nation (in the true sense) again.
    We have signed up, or are about to sign up, to a fiscal plan dictated by merkel & sarcosey.
    BTW, I don't have any obligations to any of these creditors you speak of.

I pay, and will continue to pay all my other taxes but not this one.

DON'T REGISTER, DON'T PAY!

dvpower wrote: »
    Its not due yet.

Well that was my point. In reference to tax evasion being mentioned.

When Mick Wallace pays the charge I will then decide not to pay it. One of the main reasons I am paying it is because of that complete wally, it's lads exactly like him that screwed this country. He has debts in the hundreds of millions and he is telling people not to pay their taxes I mean come on that lad should be locked up. This fella is the perfect example of how we are in the mess and it's people like him that are responsible for these new taxes and charges so when I see him leading the anti campaign I just laugh my hole off, and people still listen to this clown which makes them just as stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When Mick Wallace pays the charge I will then decide not to pay it. One of the main reasons I am paying it is because of that complete wally, it's lads exactly like him that screwed this country. He has debts in the hundreds of millions and he is telling people not to pay their taxes I mean come on that lad should be locked up. This fella is the perfect example of how we are in the mess and it's people like him that are responsible for these new taxes and charges so when I see him leading the anti campaign I just laugh my hole off, and people still listen to this clown which makes them just as stupid

I couldn't tell you who the T.D.'s are on the anti Household Charge platform. I decided myself not to pay. Like other posters I pay all my taxes and pay private bin charges. I regard this tax as unjust and brought in as a disguise to cover the Bankers and Speculators debts. Not one penny will go towards services. How do I know that ? Because we are hardly getting any services for what we are already paying. I ruined a wheel in a pothole last year. Locals told me that the pothole was there for a full 4 months and that they had reported it. Nothing was done so some of them filled it themselves but continuous rain kept washing the filling from it. Services me a*** .

I couldn't tell you who the T.D.'s are on the anti Household Charge platform. I decided myself not to pay. Like other posters I pay all my taxes and pay private bin charges. I regard this tax as unjust and brought in as a disguise to cover the Bankers and Speculators debts. Not one penny will go towards services. How do I know that ? Because we are hardly getting any services for what we are already paying. I ruined a wheel in a pothole last year. Locals told me that the pothole was there for a full 4 months and that they had reported it. Nothing was done so some of them filled it themselves but continuous rain kept washing the filling from it. Services me a*** .

And can you not see that maybe the reason the roads are in a bad state is because there is no money to pay for them? You can't complain about potholes if you aren't prepared to pay your taxes.

And can you not see that maybe the reason the roads are in a bad state is because there is no money to pay for them? You can't complain about potholes if you aren't prepared to pay your taxes.

Then where did the taxes I paid towards the roads go ?

They went on repairing some of the roads but you see there wasn't enough money to pay for it all, quite straight forward really. Especially when you consider the fact we were in the biggest recession ever in this country whilst also going through one of the worst winters in the past hundred years that wouldn't have really helped the condition of the roads now.

I can't see how someone who refuses to pay for a service can complain about that service. For example if you don't pay sky for a month you wouldn't ring them to complain that it's not working when they cut it off

Into a bigger hole.

I can't see how someone who refuses to pay for a service can complain about that service. For example if you don't pay sky for a month you wouldn't ring them to complain that it's not working when they cut it off

No, but i wouldnt expect sky to cut me off for not paying my gas bill either.

They went on repairing some of the roads but you see there wasn't enough money to pay for it all, quite straight forward really. Especially when you consider the fact we were in the biggest recession ever in this country whilst also going through one of the worst winters in the past hundred years that wouldn't have really helped the condition of the roads now.

But I didn't skip a month.
    The money we were already paying for the roads was directed to Anglo and to help the poor unfortunate gamblers who lost but then got their money back from our stupid/foolish Government.

• Advertisement

But I didn't skip a month.
    The money we were already paying for the roads was directed to Anglo and to help the poor unfortunate gamblers who lost but then got their money back from our stupid/foolish Government.

Exactly.

The banks fcuked up, the govt then fcuked up even more so, and we are now left to pay for their stupid mistakes that's life in this country today and will be for the foreseeable future unfortunately

robbie7730 wrote: »

No, but i wouldnt expect sky to cut me off for not paying my gas bill either.

I don't think anyone would now in fairness but that wasn't exactly the point I was making now was it

Exactly.

The banks fcuked up, the govt then fcuked up even more so, and we are now left to pay for their stupid mistakes that's life in this country today and will be for the foreseeable future unfortunately

Well I ain't paying for them. I have enough trouble paying my own fcuk ups.

Exactly.

Well that's your choice.

I assume then you aren't paying your motor tax this year if you think that is going to pay for local services either. Or any tax for that matter, because saying your taxes are paying bond holders and bankers and then saying you aren't paying the household charge because it's going to pay bond holders and bankers you surely must apply the same theory to everything

Well that's your choice.

I assume then you aren't paying your motor tax this year if you think that is going to pay for local services either. Or any tax for that matter, because saying your taxes are paying bond holders and bankers and then saying you aren't paying the household charge because it's going to pay bond holders and bankers you surely must apply the same theory to everything

I will pay for the services I receive.
    The butcher doesn't charge me if I don't buy meat from him.

Well that's your choice.

I will pay for the services I receive.
    The butcher doesn't charge me if I don't buy meat from him.

So you never use the roads in this country or water either?

I have already said several times that I will pay for the roads and water BUT I won't pay twice or for things I don't receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

taytolover, I said it to you before, your wasting your time with donalg.
    I took him off my ignore list there just to see if he's still trotting out the same BS and guess what, he is.

Only difference this week is that we now know that one of his main reasons for paying is because Mick Wallace says not to. That's some reason...

Even though you say, like myself, that you will and do pay all your other taxes,he still fires out the old "I assume that you aren't paying your motor tax this year", "Or any other tax for that matter". Ridiculous!

You cannot debate with people like this so it's back to the ignore list for donal.

I have already said several times that I will pay for the roads and water BUT I won't pay twice or for things I don't receive.

But you haven't paid for them yet apparently you said your motor tax and other taxes paid for bond holders

• Advertisement

But you haven't paid for them yet apparently you said your motor tax and other taxes paid for bond holders

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement