Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah, the best way to learn about freedom is having the spectre of a lien looming over the family home.

The lesson is in the path that took you there.

Beginning by teaching the basics of economics to all secondary school goers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Whilst developers, bankers, the property market, RTE and state quangos are all being propped up.
    No chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Am Chile wrote: »
    If its still in your recycling bin please take it out, theres a campaign to return all leaflets to phil hogans home address, to let phil what you think of this household tax and his party please write a few words of discontent and please return to

Phil Hogan,
    Grovine,
    Co. Kilkenny.
    Its pretty low to be targetting his home address. Why not just post stuff to his official address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Basic economics would teach you that governments shouldn't interfere with capitalism by guaranteeing the gambling debts of bondholders and speculators!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

dvpower wrote: »
    Its pretty low to be targetting his home address. Why not just post stuff to his official address?

He's targeting everyone's home address. It's only right we should target his in return

• Advertisement

It might also teach you that if a company your running has massive debts and is failing, you call in your creditors and they would normally be offered 5 cents in the euro as payment of said debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

The_Thing wrote: »

He's targeting everyone's home address. It's only right we should target his in return

If you want to send it back his constituency office is the place to send it

The_Thing wrote: »
    That's nonsence and you know it.

How would you like it if disgruntled customers or clients from your workplace started contacting you at your home address?

gerryo777 wrote: »

Basic economics would teach you that governments shouldn't interfere with capitalism by guaranteeing the gambling debts of bondholders and speculators!

But the two idiot Brian's did it without knowing just how much they were guaranteeing. But all that is irrelevant now as fact is its happened. The time for protest is well and truly gone now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

donalg1 wrote: »
    But the two idiot Brian's did it without knowing just how much they were guaranteeing. But all that is irrelevant now as fact is its happened. The time for protest is well and truly gone now
    If they didn't know what they were guarenteeing then they shouldn't have guarenteed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Should it not be called pay back other peoples debt charge.

My taxes pay for local services already.

It makes my blood boil when I hear Politicians say we Pay our way. We are not paying our way we are paying for somebody elses way..

lividduck wrote: »
    donalg1 wrote: »
    If they didn't know what they were guarenteeing then they shouldn't have guarenteed it!

Well obviously!!

niallers1 wrote: »
    We are not paying our way ...
    True. Even if you take the banking bailout out of the equation, we are still running a massive deficit.

True. Even if you take the banking bailout out of the equation, we are still running a massive deficit.
    And unless we encourage spending in our domestic economy and start creating jobs we will continue to run a massive deficit, or we could stick to the path we're on with massive austerity and return this country back to where we were 40 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

It might also teach you that if a company your running has massive debts and is failing, you call in your creditors and they would normally be offered 5 cents in the euro as payment of said debts.

Tell that to the car workers in Detroit who still have jobs, in newly growing companies, because of government bailouts.

It was arguably wrong (in hindsight) to guarantee the banks in Ireland, because of the particular set of circumstances, but to say that government should never intervene is a very simplistic view of economics. Intervention in Lehman's would have slowed the immediate impact of the credit crunch and given governments more options - to not intervene was a disastrous decision. It is not as black and white as you think.

Edit: just realised how off topic I am. Sorry. And I am going to pay the charge, but will be leaving it to the very last day to see if anything changes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Heres a funny auld thing.
    "We need you to register so that we know who you are and can charge you. If you dont register we wont know who you are and we will fine you"

But if you dont know........ummmmmm...what?

steve9859 wrote: »
    Tell that to the car workers in Detroit who still have jobs, in newly growing companies, because of government bailouts.

It was arguably wrong (in hindsight) to guarantee the banks in Ireland, because of the particular set of circumstances, but to say that government should never intervene is a very simplistic view of economics. Intervention in Lehman's would have slowed the immediate impact of the credit crunch and given governments more options - to not intervene was a disastrous decision. It is not as black and white as you think.

Edit: just realised how off topic I am. Sorry. And I am going to pay the charge, but will be leaving it to the very last day to see if anything changes

As was pointed out on another forum, the government wouldn't 'bail out' waterford crystal a few years back because it couldn't interfere in 'private business' but that didn't stop them crippling our country by interfering in another 'private business' called the banking sector.
    Drunk on power,or just plain drunk, fianna fail have royally screwed Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Heres a funny auld thing.
    "We need you to register so that we know who you are and can charge you. If you dont register we wont know who you are and we will fine you"

But if you dont know........ummmmmm...what?

The charge applies to the dwelling, so if for example you go to sell your house 20 years down the road, you won't be allowed to do so without paying the charge plus the interest.

There's no getting away from paying this tax. People will whinge & moan and refuse to pay it all the want, but ultimately, unless they die in the meantime, they'll have to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Knock the house and claim it never existed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sky King wrote: »

Top tip for saving a hundred quid!

• Advertisement

steve9859 wrote: »

As was pointed out on another forum, the government wouldn't 'bail out' waterford crystal a few years back because it couldn't interfere in 'private business' but that didn't stop them crippling our country by interfering in another 'private business' called the banking sector.
    Drunk on power,or just plain drunk, fianna fail have royally screwed Ireland.

But then there's the other side too that the banks basically took yours and my deposits or balance and lent that to people that couldn't afford the repayments be they large developers or others taking out mortgages they could never afford, therefore putting themselves in a position of not being able to cover all deposits held which meant if they weren't bailed out there would be no money for you and I to withdraw from our own accounts. It was the reckless lending by banks and stupid borrowing by certain folk that put the banks in the situation where they required a bail out, then stupid idiotic cowen and lenihan decided to write them a blank cheque without knowing just how much they had fcuked up.

Government intervention was unavoidable, but the level of their intervention certainly wasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I'm surprised that so many are happy to hand over their personal details given the lack of protection your data will be given by the government, not to mention that the number '100' is clearly just pulled out of somebody's arse, how could any sort of calculation come up with such a perfect number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Only five and a half weeks left to the deadline and a paltry 7% have registered.

109,569 have paid the household charge to date
    A screenshot of the HouseholdCharge.ie website.
    The body which runs the Household Charge website has this afternoon claimed that 109,569 households have paid the €100 household charge to date, less than 10% of the number of private households in the state.

The Local Government Management Agency is responsible for the website, and says they've collected over €10m to date, with the deadline for payment of the charge just over five weeks away.

This money is critical to fund essential local services like public parks; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities; planning and development; fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets and street lighting – all facilities that benefit everyone in the community.

Paul McSweeny, CEO of the Local Government Management Agency
    The LGMA says 80% of people who've paid to date have done so by debit/credit card, with the remainder paying by cheque/draft.

http://www.politics.ie/news/109-569-have-paid-household-charge-date-111-comments4.html#comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 penelopeanne

I'm new on here and haven't read ALL the comments. However my two cents. I will not be registering and thus not paying this unfair tax. My main problem, like so many others, is that I object strongly to giving my information to the Big Brother. Don't they know enough about us already, and if they don't, tough. Apparently they want to know the name(s) of your pets, if any!!!! What the f... is that about. A new cat license in the future!?? If they don't know, then bugger them. I am prepared to go to jail, definitely, I have my red dress all ready, to shove up Eamon Gilmore's tight little ass, not to mention Joan Burton's not so tight little derriere, Labour my foot. When I think of all the years my late father pushed Labour down my throat, and went on strike, and paid his union fees, poor fool. He is spinning in his grave now, Labour have let us all down. Never again. I am currently unemployed, with no Social Welfare, and my husband has a small business, and is taking less and less home, trying to balance the books, and we SIMPLY CANNOT AFFORD another tax. The house is cold at the moment, because I can't afford oil. My SKY is turned off because I cannot afford to pay it, we go walking for entertainment and go to bed early, so things aren't all bad!! The government really don't know what suffering their people are going through. Blather on...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

The charge applies to the dwelling, so if for example you go to sell your house 20 years down the road, you won't be allowed to do so without paying the charge plus the interest.

There's no getting away from paying this tax. People will whinge & moan and refuse to pay it all the want, but ultimately, unless they die in the meantime, they'll have to pay it.

I take it you already paid then:rolleyes:
    Will you get a refund if it (Like it looks) turns out to be an unworkable tax.

I think everybody knows that the tax is to pay back professional investors who loaned money to dodgy banks..We already pay for parks and other amenities through our paye/prsi/USC/Vat/Road Tax/vehicle registration tax/Stamp duty when buying a home/Second home Tax/Inheritence Tax e.t.c e.t.c. e.t.c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

mikom wrote: »
    Whilst developers, bankers, the property market, RTE and state quangos are all being propped up.

And politicans and ex-politicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Sky King wrote: »

Top tip for saving a hundred quid!
    So you are saying that it will be a once off payment of 100 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

In the Metro this morning....can anyone legal-minded confirm this??

You won't get a household charge bill because it is a statute. People need to understand this. A statute is a "legislated rule of society given the force of law by the consent of the governed"...who are those it governs? Its us, the public.

This household charge is a statute, otherwise known as an Act of Government, and it only carries the force of law if you consent to it - which means you are legally obliged to pay for it if you register for it on householdcharge.ie

Your silence and inaction gives you a stance of no consent. If you do not consent, a statute cannot affect you. However if you register for this "charge", you are consenting to the statute i.e. you are signing the contract.

This is why the government is ASKING people to register for the household charge rather than just sending a bill to each household.

In the Metro this morning....can anyone legal-minded confirm this??

You won't get a household charge bill because it is a statute. People need to understand this. A statute is a "legislated rule of society given the force of law by the consent of the governed"...who are those it governs? Its us, the public.

This household charge is a statute, otherwise known as an Act of Government, and it only carries the force of law if you consent to it - which means you are legally obliged to pay for it if you register for it on householdcharge.ie

Your silence and inaction gives you a stance of no consent. If you do not consent, a statute cannot affect you. However if you register for this "charge", you are consenting to the statute i.e. you are signing the contract.

This is why the government is ASKING people to register for the household charge rather than just sending a bill to each household.
    That's been done to death on threads here and in the Legal Discussion forum.
    Its complete and utter nonsense.

Did the person who put this in Metro put their name and address to it? No. I didn't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Did the person who put this in Metro put their name and address to it? No. I didn't think so.

Is that how stories in newspapers are authenticated now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement