Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this

My sister (shes 17) has never had a passport before and will need to travel from England to Ireland for a funeral very soon. This means she cant apply for an express passport and so will not have one for a potential flight over here. Any ideas of what she can do?

Cheers

Ferry or, if she has suitable photo ID, any airline other than Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ferry or, if she has suitable photo ID, any airline other than Ryanair.

Is it just ryanair that insist on passports? the handiest option for us would be flybe which is leeds-bradford into knock...

Its just I read this:

http://www.flybe.com/charter/airport.htm

but then this:

http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/id_requirements.htm

Thanks for responding!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Is it just ryanair that insist on passports?

Yup. All other airlines operating between Britain and Ireland respect the Common Travel Area agreement. Only Ryanair doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

others have said on the fourm that they got such typos fixed for free as they arent actually materially changing the person travelling.

I myself got a similar yet even bigger mistake fixed for free over the phone with aerlingus, i.e. thanks to autofill on the browser I filled in my daughters name as my wifes name. But they corrected it no problem.

Anyone an idea of what ryanairs policy is on it?
    I have a flight next month and didnt put my middle name on the booking.
    i.e. is middle name needed & if so how are they on changing it (i.e. how much "stupid tax" do they charge me for my ommission?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

others have said on the fourm that they got such typos fixed for free as they arent actually materially changing the person travelling.

I myself got a similar yet even bigger mistake fixed for free over the phone with aerlingus, i.e. thanks to autofill on the browser I filled in my daughters name as my wifes name. But they corrected it no problem.

Anyone an idea of what ryanairs policy is on it?
    I have a flight next month and didnt put my middle name on the booking.
    i.e. is middle name needed & if so how are they on changing it (i.e. how much "stupid tax" do they charge me for my ommission?)

Middle name not needed, see reply above

• Advertisement

Middle name not needed, see reply above
    yup, but the original question was regarding an aer lingus flight to Munich (as no other airline flies from Ireland to Munich midweek)

Ryanair are a different airline and notorious for being sticklers on everything being right and proper and thus my question.

If Ryanair dont mind a boarding card missing my middle name then thats great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I've never put my middle name on any Ryanair booking, never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

yup, but the original question was regarding an aer lingus flight to Munich (as no other airline flies from Ireland to Munich midweek)

Ryanair are a different airline and notorious for being sticklers on everything being right and proper and thus my question.

If Ryanair dont mind a boarding card missing my middle name then thats great news!

OP did not state which airline they were using, my answer applied to all airlines, none of them give a fiddlers about your middle name.

A simple thanks would have sufficed.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭joebre

My friend rang Aer Lingus today and they corrected the name immediately , at no extra cost.
    I don't believe that Ryanair would be as accommodating !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Just reading through some of the posts, do people realise you don't have to wait for your passport to expire before you can renew it. My wife just renewed hers with 5 months left on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just some information for the benefit of the group, I found this great.

I handed in a passport renewal on monday of this week, at 3pm, into the passport office in Dublin. It was a straightforward renewal for my daughter with the old expired passport given in. It was checked in front of me, and i was told the turnaround time was 10 working days.

It landed on my door mat in Tallaght on Friday morning.

Four and a half days !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm flying with Emirates next month from Dublin and booked my tickets online but stupidly left an extra letter in my name as "Joe Blogggs" with one extra letter in it. I realised the mistake the minute I got the email and rang Emirates straight away and they said not to worry and just took my passport details and added them to the booking so all was fine. I booked the flight very late and was tired and I am normally so careful I just became complacent in myself. I am not sure of Ryanair's policy but for one letter they can't be that hard on people, it happens to even cautious people like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

joebre wrote: »
    My friend rang Aer Lingus today and they corrected the name immediately , at no extra cost.
    I don't believe that Ryanair would be as accommodating !

i had a typo on a surname a while back and i rang up Ryanair to get it changed for free. no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I go by my middle name, so never use my first name. Never had a problem with flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

To follow up on Original post, Had no problems, it wasn't even brought up :D

Thanks for the reassurance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Basically I had my passport in my pocket and a pen that leaked, the ink on the passport itself is ever so slight. Basically none of the individual inside pages have ink on them but when I have the passport closed you there a tiny bit of ink on the top corner of every page which looks worse when the entire passport is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Perhaps buy one of those leather passport cases. All you can see of the passport when you open it is the photo page and opposite page. Would make it more presentable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

The best way of explaining what wrong is imagine a closed book and writing or drawing on the top corner of all the pages that are closed together, theres a tiny bit of ink on each page which looks like nothing when you separate them but when closed together its much more noticable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Take a couple of photos and email it to the passport office. They should be able to advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Just some information for the benefit of the group, I found this great.

I handed in a passport renewal on monday of this week, at 3pm, into the passport office in Dublin. It was a straightforward renewal for my daughter with the old expired passport given in. It was checked in front of me, and i was told the turnaround time was 10 working days.

It landed on my door mat in Tallaght on Friday morning.

Four and a half days !

That's a great turnaround. I'm a first time applicant myself, and my application would have been received 2 weeks ago on Tuesday. It's been in the "being checked" status since Wednesday...Hopefully this means nothing is wrong???!!

They have my other passport too as proof of ID, and already there has been a family medical emergency (all OK as can be now, thank god), but it scared the c**p out of me.

• Advertisement

esharknz wrote: »
    That's a great turnaround. I'm a first time applicant myself, and my application would have been received 2 weeks ago on Tuesday. It's been in the "being checked" status since Wednesday...Hopefully this means nothing is wrong???!!

They have my other passport too as proof of ID, and already there has been a family medical emergency (all OK as can be now, thank god), but it scared the c**p out of me.

There shouldn't be a problem if you have sent all of the required docs. See here:

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=84782

The best way of explaining what wrong is imagine a closed book and writing or drawing on the top corner of all the pages that are closed together, theres a tiny bit of ink on each page which looks like nothing when you separate them but when closed together its much more noticable

Like I said, the leather passport cover will conceal this (all the pages are inside the cover and when you open it, all you can see is the photo page and opposite one. You can get them in the Cork passport office anyway (they have a vending machine), and as far as I remember, Penny's used to do them at one stage.

It doesn't sound like your passport is badly damaged at all but if you email the Passport Office, guaranteed they will tell you that they can't give a 100% answer as it depends on who you meet at passport control in the airport.

OP did not state which airline they were using, my answer applied to all airlines, none of them give a fiddlers about your middle name.

A simple thanks would have sufficed.
    None is a big statement and its wrong.

Europes Largest airline Lufthansa explicitly state you MUST enter your name in full.
    EDIT. so thats at least one airline that requires full names, and not an insignificant one either.
    How do I enter my name on the booking?
    Partly due to very strict entry requirements for the destination countries we fly to, the name you give when you make your online booking must always be exactly the same as the name on your identity card. If you have a middle name and this is recorded in your official identity document, you must therefore give this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Anybody that can help or know anybody that works in the passport office.
    If You can pm Please.
    We have booked a family holiday flying tomorrow.we are packed ready to go went to on-line check in and realised my 11 year old sons passport is out of date.Can we get an emergency passort same day as the flight?
    Anybody that can help I would really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Barbara3

you`d better ask official

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

esharknz wrote: »

Presume your other passport is not an Irish one? You could have requested to get that one back no problem.

1st time applicants will generally take slighthy longer than straight forward renewals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=254

Taken from there:
    Priority Processing of Passport Applications.
    All non emergency applications submitted at the public counters will have a standard 15 working day turnaround. The timeline for processing passports with proof of immediate travel while not guaranteed is 3 working days other than where travel is necessitated by the death or illness of a family member. An additional fee may apply.

I'd suggest you get all the documentation you need together, get the necessary signatures etc and get to the Passport Office ASAP and see what they can do for you. If they can accommodate you, you will probably have to pay a premium for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I have to renew my passport within the next few months.
    I was wondering is it possible to change the county of birth on my new passport?
    I stupidly put down the county that the hospital I was born was in, on my first passport, but your place of birth is meant to be where your mother was living at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Pangea wrote: »
    I have to renew my passport within the next few months.
    I was wondering is it possible to change the county of birth on my new passport?
    I stupidly put down the county that the hospital I was born was in, on my first passport, but your place of birth is meant to be where your mother was living at the time.

No your place of birth is just that, the place you were born and the county that is listed on your long form birth cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is the location of where you were born. The census uses the mothers address.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement