Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am open for either a Wicklow spin or even Slieve Blooms, love it there.
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    What are we doing regarding air tickets? Are we doing a group booking there or we ll just go and book them ourselves?

What about that? Prices will go up surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Mine is month to date, doubt I'll be able to get up to 500kms a week until the football season is over in April. As for meeting up, weekends off are a rarity for me but I'll keep ye posted.

Thats good to here. I was getting worried there.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I am open for either a Wicklow spin or even Slieve Blooms, love it there.

What about that? Prices will go up surely.

I have already booked flights in that I am flying into and out of Carcasonne with the family. They will holiday near Carcasonne while I am off busting my ass on climbs that are way too long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Can I have until end of Jan on flights please? Also show of hands, who wants a group booking on the flights?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

mine is month to date. mostly flatish commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

im happy to go group booking on flights,

would be open to meeting for group outside of sportive as it will be easier to mingle than at sportive, i need to get decent computer to at least track some of my rides, been minimal at best, i dont do turbos, so its been 2runs a week and a 50-70km ride at weekend, i have the base fitness at moment so really just ticking over for serious training come april

im happy enough to do the group flights thing aswell i think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Hi lads. About 75kg.
    Birthday 22nd. July (start saving :D)

Going to do the W200, Mick Byrne 200 and as many sportifs as I can. Did the inaugural Mt. Leinster and plan to do this years one also.

Have to get a few 6 hour rides back to back, imperative actually.

Astra M. if you want to pop out for a spin, I'm just up the road or are you going out with Orwell?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If anyone is interested I'm thinking of taking my first holidays at the end of March and doing a 200km Audax in Cavan or somewhere up there and then doing a 100km sportive Portlaoise the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Group booking for flights is fine with me too.

ROK ON wrote: »

On the suggestion of a meetup for a spin. Not a bad idea at all given that we dont know each other. I have met the Captain and Astra.

Wicklow is ideal, but also Slieve Blooms are lovely. If ye ever want to come south to Kerry I can show ye some spectacular routes.
    Would it be best to structure a group ride around an event (say Orwell Randonee or Mick Byrne), or just to put a date in the diary that suits most people (unlikely to suit everybody).

Good idea for a meetup and better if it's 2 days in a row to help with preparation. I think something in late June would be more effective, Wicklow Peaks is on the calendar of July 1st, (sunday), maybe do a wicklow spin on the saturday as well?

• Advertisement

Ferry booked and paid for, flights to and from for 8 people booked and paid for. We're flying into Biarritz with Ryanair Sunday afternoon and home from Perpignon Saturday afternoon.

Ferry booked and paid for, flights to and from for 8 people booked and paid for. We're flying into Biarritz with Ryanair Sunday afternoon and home from Perpignon Saturday afternoon.

When is the rest of the money due, or does the deposit cover everything and we pay accom etc when we get over there?

When is the rest of the money due, or does the deposit cover everything and we pay accom etc when we get over there?

I don't have a due date as of yet. I'd prefer to pay everything that needs to be paid now and give you an amount. I actually think the deposit paid so far should cover you with the remainder to be paid when we leave. Everyone that's taking the group flight I will be looking for money from though. Today the fraud department from my credit card company called due to the three large transactions made in the last two days :pac:

cool captain pass on details and amount by pm when you want us pass on payment for flights, how are we looking budget wise for keeping to 1grand.

manafana wrote: »
    cool captain pass on details and amount by pm when you want us pass on payment for flights, how are we looking budget wise for keeping to 1grand.

Looking very good.

So here I am waiting for the train thinkIng what have I signed up for. Upwards of 200 k per day with many thousand metres clImbing. I
    Have done 400km In January, with a planned 550 a week when the weather turns in march. That should be enough, but, ye know what, if it's nor and I struggle up every climb, I don't mind. I'm going to the Pyrenees and they ain't gonna beat me. Even if I do it in twice the time, I'm gonna do it. It will hurt and it will be tough, but come he'll or high water, I'm gonna do it. Bring it on. This drunken rambling has been brought to u by several pInts of guinness. The end.

ah yeah im same at this stage im not worried i just want have one good day where im not suffering. But by god the scenery will be great.

Ordered my new bike.

I'm just happy not to be carrying luggage this time.

Lenny

You will be fine. However if you plan on doing 550/week from March I think you will be shattered by July.
    I have done a few 4 day things.
    I would tend to do the following from March:
    200-250km week 1
    300-350km week 2,
    400-500km week 3,
    100-150km week 4,

I did this three times but had to cut back as it really tired me.
    When I wasn't working or sleeping I was cycling.

yeah i tink a break is key, im mixing it up and pretty light on bike work right now theirs time yet.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips lads.
    i am planning a break in july for 3 - 4 weeks before hand, take it easy, chill out etc.

Slightly unrelated, but is anyone else doing this for charity?
    im doing it for the irish heart foundation

lennymc wrote: »
    Slightly unrelated, but is anyone else doing this for charity?
    im doing it for the irish heart foundation

I think I may need their services after the Raid .

I am hoping to do the cycle for charity in Kerry that caters for special needs children, either that or the Kerry branch of Down Syndrome Ireland.

I think I may need their services after the Raid .

PMSL, im glad didnt quote full post their.

http://www.velopeloton.com/raid-pyreneen-2012/

2012 sees a possible route variation, which going by the website sounds like good option take in terms of enjoying the ride a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

2012 sees a possible route variation, which going by the website sounds like good option take in terms of enjoying the ride a bit more.

I hope it's not less climbing!

Btw.. about the snoring.. I found some patches that stick on the nose and they do the trick, so don't worry :p

Bah.
    The original offical route bypassed the Marie Blanque - looks like I have no choice now. Dont mind the length of climbs so much, but I find long period of steep gradient (12% plus for 5km) invariably lead to destoyed glutes and hamstrings.
    Ah well. I guess I will end up training on Mullaghanish a lot (3km at 12%).

Astra - on the snoring. I plan on being very tired and possibly a little tipsy most evenings.

Anyone fancy a spin Saturday morning/ afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

I think your local club run a Saturday morning spin, you know, if you're stuck....? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Where are you planning to go for a spin Captain?

• Advertisement

quite possibly. where and when captain?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement