Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

sent a reply there. should be a nice spin. weather looks to be good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

lennymc wrote: »
    sent a reply there. should be a nice spin. weather looks to be good too!

hopefully warmer than last week, i have say my hands where feeling it a bit by end, we could do with extra member to chase down lennys random attacks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

^^^^

Was out yesterday afternoon and going out tomorrow morning so can't make Sunday. Mate from Scotland over for the match.

..........but it's getting close.......:)

nice spin yesterday with manafana and peter.

I was thinking, would there be any interest in getting some kit made up for the spin? Jerseys, shorts etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=tea&fkid=3&ID=2778

Something along the lines of this, then definitely.

I have a fair few jerseys already that I rarely wear, so it would need to look absolutely fantastic for me to get a new one.

• Advertisement

most of my stuff doesnt fit me any more :)
    I need to get some more gear, so any excuse really.....

yeah not sure id wear that crazy maepei stuff.

Would be open to ideas thou, the more pockets the better too.

manafana wrote: »
    yeah not sure id wear that crazy maepei stuff.

Would be open to ideas thou, the more pockets the better too.

That gear is absolutely class I will have you know.

All jerseys come with 3 pockets, so I doubt you will get more unless it is a winter jersey (some have 4).

While the days will be very long, I would advise against packing your jersey pockets - it can be very uncomfortable on long climbs in hot weather.

I am going to get a bento box like the tri folk (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-energy-caddy-nutrition-bag/#more) have to keep sun cream, bars, elctrolytes etc.

In the jersey I will carry a lightweight gilet and armwarmers (unless it is very warm), a CO2 cannister and a small wallet.

Given the heat, anyone buying new jerseys should consider full zip and light colours. Most jerseys that are around are not full zip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

In relation to jerseys, I too have no end of them. My idea was something along the lines of themed days like boards gear day, club gear day, Irish day, attire appropriate for the George day etc.....

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

In relation to jerseys, I too have no end of them. My idea was something along the lines of themed days like boards gear day, club gear day, Irish day, attire appropriate for the George day etc.....

Sounds good

What is George Day? Do we celebrate that here (I guess Lumen and Beasty do, but the rest of us?)
    Maybe you're still concussed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ROK ON wrote: »
    Sounds good

What is George Day? Do we celebrate that here (I guess Lumen and Beasty do, but the rest of us?)
    Maybe you're still concussed?

I meant the George night club, gear that looks a bit ghey.

That gear is absolutely class I will have you know.

All jerseys come with 3 pockets, so I doubt you will get more unless it is a winter jersey (some have 4).

While the days will be very long, I would advise against packing your jersey pockets - it can be very uncomfortable on long climbs in hot weather.

I am going to get a bento box like the tri folk (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-energy-caddy-nutrition-bag/#more) have to keep sun cream, bars, elctrolytes etc.

In the jersey I will carry a lightweight gilet and armwarmers (unless it is very warm), a CO2 cannister and a small wallet.

Given the heat, anyone buying new jerseys should consider full zip and light colours. Most jerseys that are around are not full zip.

yeah will be getting top tube bag, iv seen shorts with pockets before, but even iv noticed how good pockets on my santani pockets are.

Also agree on jersey trying sort myslef nice full zip short sleeve kit.

Full zip, suitable for climbing mountains.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=2&ID=2918

Full zip, suitable for climbing mountains.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=2&ID=2918

i can see me pulling that off :D

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?imgID=5979

wouldnt mind this goe with my bike colour

dont forget the o'niells shorts and your local gaa team day.

dont forget the o'niells shorts and your local gaa team day.

Last day is only 60, easily doable. If anyone laughs at us, I'll just put me hurl through their front spokes.

do you have an itinerary captain? i may have missed it.

do you have an itinerary captain? i may have missed it.

No, it was only an idea I spoke to one of ye about, thought it was you actually. I'd like to climb the Tourmalet in my club gear but I'd be open to all other suggestions.

yeah - you spoke to me a bout the gear allright. im hoping to climb the tourmalet in the drogheda wheelers gear.

I was wondering is there an itinerary for each days riding.

yeah - you spoke to me a bout the gear allright. im hoping to climb the tourmalet in the drogheda wheelers gear.

I was wondering is there an itinerary for each days riding.

Itinerary? Fairly simples really, get up at 7h30, breakfast at 8h00, out the gap by 8h30, the French only serve food between 12h00 and 14h00 so you stop in the first village you come to after midday, then you start to pray you get in before a) the restaurant in the hotel shuts or failing that b) before night fall.

• Advertisement

do we have routes for the days? Manafana suggested maybe getting some routes done up to stick to the top tubes of the bikes for each day. Peter also suggested maybe getting dogtags with blood type, name, contact details, medical conditions etc. Might be a good idea.

Itinerary? Fairly simples really, get up at 7h30, breakfast at 8h00, out the gap by 8h30, the French only serve food between 12h00 and 14h00 so you stop in the first village you come to after midday, then you start to pray you get in before a) the restaurant in the hotel shuts or failing that b) before night fall.

Given (1) French intransigence to actually welcome paying tourists to their beautiful country & (2) the heat . . .

Maybe it would be worth starting at 7am, getting a good cut at the day. Have a big lunch between 12 and 2. Then take it handy in the afternoon sun knowing that we have plenty of time to make it to that days destination for dinner.

I know what it is like to be hungry after a cycle in the French countryside, and I dont care to repeat that feeling.

Not suggesting this for all of the days, but it maybe worthwhile for day 3 which (if the orginal plan is correct) is 195km with 4000m of climbing.
    Day 1 I think the idea is that you start close to 9am, so that you have until 1pm to finish on the final day.

Day 2 is 100km, so no real issue.
    Day 3 is 195km - so very early start.
    Day 4 is 140ish, so again 8am should be fine.
    Day 5. Downhill from Prates to the finish over 90km IIRC?

With 10 of us on the road, we should have enough for 2 to 3 rough groups.
    The reality is that Astra and Capt Havoc are significantly faster on the climbs that I am (I dont know the rest of ye).
    Manafana - on the basis that you could speak when we went up Cruagh, I am putting you in the climber category.
    Lenny, looking at your Strava times and mine - they are remarkably close. So I guess thats group 3 sorted.

hopefully I wont regret saying this, but im really looking forward to day 3.

do we have routes for the days? Manafana suggested maybe getting some routes done up to stick to the top tubes of the bikes for each day. Peter also suggested maybe getting dogtags with blood type, name, contact details, medical conditions etc. Might be a good idea.

Day 1: 193km Hendaye - Laruns. You can go over the Marie Blanque or avoid it. Distance is the same.
    Avoiding it takes out a 4km climb at 12%.

Day 2: Larun to St Marie de Campan
    (Aubisque, Solour, Tourmalet).
    Between the Solour and Aubisque there is a large town (Arglese Gazost) - a natural stop off for lunch.

Day 3: St Marie to Tarascon sur Ariege
    195km with 4000+ m of ascent.

I think this will be toughest day,
    Aspin,
    Peyresourde

Col de Ares
    Portet Aspet
    Climb to Tarason

Day 4: Tarascon - Prades (130km)
    20km climb.

Day 5 Downhill all the way.

To be honest, lenny and myself are evenly matched climbing last sunday, cruagh road i know all to well that i probably ride it prefectly.

To be honest, lenny and myself are evenly matched climbing last sunday, cruagh road i know all to well that i probably ride it prefectly.
    which one is that manafana?

some nice roads and weather yesterday. Pity we had to head home for 2 ish. I think in a few weeks Ill try to organise a full days meandering round wicklow.

Cruagh road was the first climb, up to the car park where i took off my thermal gear.

Enjoyed chasing you down sally gap, hit 63km p/h according to the garmin, didnt quiet break that coming down into tallaght cause of the fierce head wind.

Cruagh road was the first climb, up to the car park where i took off my thermal gear.

Enjoyed chasing you down sally gap, hit 63km p/h according to the garmin, didnt quiet break that coming down into tallaght cause of the fierce head wind.

That was a nice climb. Was a bit of crack allright coming down. Not sure what I was doing tbh. Enjoyed it tho.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Anyone on for this weekend then? I'm going out Thursday afternoon and twice over the weekend. A long spin, 5+ hrs. on one of the days. Takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Planet X wrote: »
    Anyone on for this weekend then? I'm going out Thursday afternoon and twice over the weekend. A long spin, 5+ hrs. on one of the days. Takers?

Sure, I ll probably be meeting Mark on Saturday as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement