Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ROK ON wrote: »
    LOL. Astra if you sold half your campag blinged up bikes you could afford to take Concord out of retirement and fly us all to Biarritz and still have enough for a full Mavic style support car and a broom wagon.

seconded. :)

I am a Definitely Maybe for this - currently 80% depending on job status in Q1 next year.

I have money put aside for a possible pre-season training trip, which if it doesn't go ahead would make this a 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

1. lenny
    2. lennys mate
    3. Captain Havoc
    4. ROK ON
    5. coastwatch
    6 manafana

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

LOL. Astra if you sold half your campag blinged up bikes you could afford to take Concord out of retirement and fly us all to Biarritz and still have enough for a full Mavic style support car and a broom wagon.

Haha its still just a planetx :) anyway there is not enough cash flow to fund everything so i need to plan accordingly (and somehow make the OH agree).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

BTW, this is the van, I don't see more than 10 bikes going into it, assuming they're in bike bags.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Capt.
    Will the van be available from Ireland or is it being hired in France.
    It would be great if bikes could be transported there and back, meaning one can fly with just an overnight bag to say Biarritz or wherever works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Capt.
    It would be great if bikes could be transported there and back, meaning one can fly with just an overnight bag to say Biarritz or wherever works.

If all goes well, we're supposed to be getting the ferry a bit cheaper and we're paying for van and driver to leave Ireland and return with the bikes. I reckon it'll cost €110 per head compared to €80 on the plane, personally I'd pay the extra €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

1. lenny
    2. lennys mate
    3. Captain Havoc
    4. ROK ON
    5. coastwatch
    6. manafana
    7. Coronal

I'll be coming from Germany, more than likely, so shouldn't need van space. Apart from possibly start and end transfers if I'm feeling lazy.

Tentatively in, i ll confirm 100% before the end of the year. Meanwhile if you have to take a decision before that then please do without counting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Capt.

Not part of the Boards trip but the 'Gang' are going to the Pyrenees this year and more than likely taking this approach.

The plan is for a few (3) to transport the bikes and kit to Lourdes (tentatively suggested as base of ops) by van having hired here and taken the ferry to Frqnce while everyone else flys to Biarritz/Toulouse with light luggage and bussing it to Lourdes from there. Looking forward to it now - will look out for boards jerseys while over there if it turns out the two expeditions are around the same time

I see a race on the cards :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I see a race on the cards :-)

Haha, I'm going to have to decline that particular offer - I'll be just trying to survive the hills!

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Haha, I'm going to have to decline that particular offer - I'll be just trying to survive the hills!

I refuse to accept your refusal.
    Rather than a straight out race, take the average of the fastest and slowest ascent and descent of every col.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Am I right saying that this is being organised for July?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

BTW, this is the van, I don't see more than 10 bikes going into it, assuming they're in bike bags.

I hope you're getting Lenny's Mammy and camper van as support vehicle. She and partner looked after us so well with endless food on the 26 County Challenge last september...

We still need more bodies for this, then we need cash, otherwise we can create a plan B, which I don't see a problem with either.

I need to put myself back to a maybe, pending flights and trains to get there (which don't look good :() Sorry about this, guys. I'll keep you posted.

1. lenny
    2. lennys mate
    3. Captain Havoc
    4. ROK ON
    5. coastwatch
    6. manafana

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I was speaking with Captain last night, and the plan is to book the boat as soon as possible to avail of the cheaper rates. In order to get things booked, we will need a deposit of 150 euros from anyone who is interested in going. This is to secure the boat booking. This will be a non refundable deposit once the boat is booked. Ideally we would like to get it booked before the end of January, so if you could get deposits to me asap. I will take cash or cheques. Please PM me for payment details.

All in, (captain can correct me if Im wrong) the trip should cost circa 1000 euros including flights to/from france, getting bikes to france, diesel for the van, covering the drivers expnses, your own accomodation and spending money.

The plan is to get to France on the Sunday, start the raid on Monday 23rd July finishing on Friday afternoon on the mediteranean coast.

if anyone has any questions give me a shout!

@cdaly, unfortunately my mammy wont be coming along :(

Lenny

Sounds good Lenny. I am still 99% in, just waiting for something to verify the 1%, should know by Friday, sorry for that.

Few questions. From what I 've understood we ll put the bikes in the van. Do we need a bike box or bubble wrap is enough (my good bike does not fit in the box)? Can we get a second pair of wheels in as well? Are we booking accomodation for each night ourselves or it will be group book (i assume group, but just asking)? Also are we flying all together on Sunday?

Whoever shares the room with me, please bring ear plugs, I snore too much :p

Hi Lenny and Capt.

Just to clarify - the deposit is for the van going by boat, and not us. Is this correct.

My understanding is that we put as much in the van as we can, then pay for the van/fuel/expenses. Then we ourselves fly over. Is this correct.

On the deposit front - please pm me with details as to how I can get the deposit to ye.

Also, as a final question - what are the dates proposed for the trip?

Given Astra comments above - let me be first to state, that I dont mind who I room with as long as it is not Astra:D.

Hi Lenny and Capt.

Just to clarify - the deposit is for the van going by boat, and not us. Is this correct.

My understanding is that we put as much in the van as we can, then pay for the van/fuel/expenses. Then we ourselves fly over. Is this correct.

On the deposit front - please pm me with details as to how I can get the deposit to ye.

Also, as a final question - what are the dates proposed for the trip?

Given Astra comments above - let me be first to state, that I dont mind who I room with as long as it is not Astra:D.

Monday 23rd July to Friday 27th July, flying into biaritz on 22nd. Il vote not to room with astra on the comments been made lol.

• Advertisement

Are any of ye on Strava. I have a suspicion that I as it stands will be the poorest climber. But I plan on changing that.

I'm off on Friday and will provisionally book hotels so that will give us a final date. Is there any dates that don't suit? PM me if so. If hotels are OK, we will book the ferry once we have a reasonable number of people paid up. I've asked Lenny to be bag man as I'm down the sticks. If money is paid and we don't use it to book ferry etc... it will be paid back. Before we commit to changes we will notify those who have paid.

im happy with the week after tour as is but open to change if it increases the numbers.

manafana wrote: »
    im happy with the week after tour as is but open to change if it increases the numbers.

ROK ON, dont worry il most likely match you in poor climbing, im a grinder wont be powering up any climbs, more of a lead out type cyclist.

All right, I should be back in for this; new plan is to fly from Munich to Dublin return and sort out whatever needs to be done with the bikes from there. When will the van be leaving/returning to Ireland? Approximately.

Monday 23rd July to Friday 27th July, flying into biaritz on 22nd. Il vote not to room with astra on the comments been made lol.

Has anyone booked flights already. Just checked and they seem pricy enough already. €122 Dub Biarritz as a foot passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

@rok on, manafana, ill try and keep up with you guys!! :)

havent looked at flights yet.

quick look at what we could do biartiz is 122 and unlikely get cheaper, other options is bilbao which is 135 with aer lingus at moment, santander which is 109 with ryanair, and bordeaux which is 90euro with aer lingus at moment.

quick look at what we could do biartiz is 122 and unlikely get cheaper, other options is bilbao which is 135 with aer lingus at moment, santander which is 109 with ryanair, and bordeaux which is 90euro with aer lingus at moment.

Cheers for that. Add in cost of ancilliary transport and Biarritz is likley to be best option.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

bordeaux is 80euro, i assume transferring to biaritz wouldnt cost more than 20quid an option but id probably go direct.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement