Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jgflan

Folks, just to let you know that CityJet are commencing a direct service from Dublin to Pau from the 18th of May for the Summer Season. Fares are reasonably competitive considering it includes taxes and charges (except bike box). Flights are operating down on Fridays and Mondays afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

820€ :eek: return doesn't really strike me as a competitive price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

our flights are booked allready as far as im aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jgflan

AstraMonti wrote: »
    820€ :eek: return doesn't really strike me as a competitive price

Be carefull that you select only the DIRECT flights - out Friday and back on a Monday for about €180 - €200 return. The flights you selected must have been through London City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think your local club run a Saturday morning spin, you know, if you're stuck....? ;)

I am in Dublin Friday evening and have a partay in Saturday evening so I won't be able.
    Seweryn wrote: »
    Where are you planning to go for a spin Captain?

Dublin
    lennymc wrote: »
    quite possibly. where and when captain?

I am to be based south side but I'll have the car so anywhere would be good.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

how early saturday? i may have my bike back from service, all be it il be getting used to my new pedals.

i normally cycle dublin/wicklow moutains

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

manafana wrote: »
    how early saturday? i may have my bike back from service, all be it il be getting used to my new pedals.

i normally cycle dublin/wicklow moutains

I'd be looking more late than early as I may be ill.

probably rules me out so, if i head out saturday it will be early, maybe another time, new bike is on order hoping for delivery in march

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I might be ok for saturday pm, wont know 'till closer to the weekend though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Sat. morning. 9am. Dundrum. Slaughter Hill and possibly Sally on the way back.

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    Sat. morning. 9am. Dundrum. Slaughter Hill and possibly Sally on the way back.

Im hoping to make this. Where in dundrum are we meeting? Have you a map of the proposed route?

who else is going?
    will yis wait for me on the hills :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Seems to be no interest but if you want to pop along, I'll meet you at the Luas Bridge across the road from Joe Dalys.
    Down the N11, Newtownmountkennedy, up the hill come out at Roundwood and maybe Sally Gap.

On a nice heavy 12kg Winter bike I'll be the one at the bottom. Don't worry.

I shall be there also, in body anyway.

I shall be there also, in body anyway.

cr@p. i wont be able to make it. my team sponsor (wife) asked if I would go for a spin with her up around drogheda. Ill ask her if she wants to go to wicklow, but I doubt it.

cr@p. i wont be able to make it. my team sponsor (wife) asked if I would go for a spin with her up around drogheda. Ill ask her if she wants to go to wicklow, but I doubt it.

ah my sponsor doesnt make any of these demands on my time, allows me focus on the one goal, dont need to any mickey mouse rides up in louth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Guys - if any of ye have any plans around Paddys weeked and want to get in a long one let me know.
    I have a lovely route (mostly along the Cork and Kerry border that is 150km with 25000m of climbing. There is one climb up to 670m (climb 540m in 7km).
    IN total there are 6 categorised climbs. I will be doing it just to see where I am in terms of fitness and endurance. If ye can make it down this neck of the woods then how bad.

ROK ON wrote: »
    25000m of climbing.

how much???

:)

Myself, mvt and few others will be meeting tomorrow 9.30 at Dundrum if anyone else want to tag along. Sally gap will be included.

I'll be there.

how did your training ride go?

New bike might have change now looking at sensa now as possible purchase.

• Advertisement

April 1st is the 3 peaks challenge if anyone is up for it. 120 k i think with one or two hills :)

Where is that lenny?

Lenny while 120km of hilly is good, the Ardattin 200 Audax is also on that w/e and starts in Bray IIRC.

I may do that instead even though it is not hilly. A lot of the training for the Raid will be cycling for very long periods of time - Audax is probably etter training.
    There are two 195km days on the Raid with 4000m of climbing - that is a twelve hour day including stops etc (if lucky).

Does anyone have or seen anywhere online the gpx files from the daily routes we are going to take?

Does anyone have or seen anywhere online the gpx files from the daily routes we are going to take?

id give velopeleton an email on this one, has all routes on the site so might have what you need, not sure if you'll have one for the route change day.

Astra

http://www.velopeloton.com/raid-pyrenees/

On that page on VP website there is a RWGPS file for each of the days.

Now, Capt Havoc has chosen slightly different distances pon day 3 and 4.
    Days 1 and 2 are the same as on that site.
    Day 3 we are scheduled to do 195km stopping that evening at Tarascon sur Ariege.
    Then on day 4 we do 128km. (finishing at Prades).
    Day 5 is the same.
    Note however that on day 4 the route does change - due to a change in the Raid routing to avoid a very busy road.
    From Ax Les Thermes we go East, not South. It takes about 15km off the journey by my mapping, but you gain the same altitude.
    (ie the climb is much steeper).

All those RWGPS files are downloadable as gpx files.
    So day 1,2 5 you have the maps.
    Days 3&4 you will have to amend slightly.

Thanks!

It's a very intimidating route, but I really can't wait! The highest col we are going to pass is the Tourmalet, right?

• Advertisement

It's a very intimidating route, but I really can't wait! The highest col we are going to pass is the Tourmalet, right?

it doesnt look intimidating if you dont look at the links! :eek:
    The pyrenees are flat, right?

Tourmalet is the higest point i think. There looks to be a bit near the top thats 21.7 % according to rideiwthgps. happy days!

Im really looking forward to it. It will be great. I'm built for comfort, not for speed, so I guess Ill see you guys in the morning and evening and maybe somewhere in between. Im bringing my ipod, and several playlists and just looking forward to doing it.

Only 5 months to go from tomorrow!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement