Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

lennymc wrote: »

Im really looking forward to it. It will be great. I'm built for comfort, not for speed, so I guess Ill see you guys in the morning and evening and maybe somewhere in between. Im bringing my ipod, and several playlists and just looking forward to doing it.

Only 5 months to go from tomorrow!!

lol! I think for the sake of all of us it's better to stay together as long as possible. Apart from the brutal climbing i am also really looking forward to the massive descents. I ll guess we ll find out how quickly carbon wheels melt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

well had pleasure of meeting with ROK ON, introduced myself by falling as i stupidly thought i was unclipped but wasnt.

Up to sally gap decided turn back a fierce gal blowing. Climbing legs are ok but plenty work to be done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just back from a nice spin up to Kippure. Windy and misty at top but had to be done. Those last 200m are a Mother.

Planet X wrote: »
    Just back from a nice spin up to Kippure. Windy and misty at top but had to be done. Those last 200m are a Mother.

just an easy 40km for me, good get out even if i didnt really have time for longer, back out tommorow again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Couldn't peel myself out of the bed this morning, did a couple of laps of the city last night with a friend after cycling home from work. I've done over twice the distance this year as had done for the same date last year at 1,150kms but I'm heavier as the scales reads under 70kg for the first time in a long time. I read a yoke yesterday that said to be a climber you should weigh no more in pounds twice your height in inches, which means I should weigh no more than 60kg :eek:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Fair dues.

Was up Kilakee the other day. Took 31mins which is much slower than the 27 minutes it usually takes for me to do the 6km. Wind from lookout to top was nuts, we were actually slower here than on the steepest sections in first 2km.

I am doing all my training now on a winter bike that is allot 2kg heavier than bike I will bring to France. Also using easiest gear of 34/25.

So hopefully fitness + weight loss + 2k lighter bike + 34/28 = less hardship on the climbs.
    Less hardship = more recovery

That's the theory anyhow.
    Doing less on the bike versus this time last year, but when on the bike I am training as opposed to commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Couldn't peel myself out of the bed this morning, did a couple of laps of the city last night with a friend after cycling home from work.
    Me too, and the day is absolutely fantastic. But I got bad flu with some cold for the last 3 days, so took a day off today. I still covered about 50km yesterday and 44km on Thursay in that state on commuting. Hope it is not going to kill me.
    I read a yoke yesterday that said to be a climber you should weigh no more in pounds twice your height in inches, which means I should weigh no more than 60kg :eek:
    That is interesting. After many unit conversion operations, I got a result that I am about 4kg over the perfect weight. I can't see any of these kilograms on my body to be waste weight though. I could possibly scrap around 1kg of fat, but what do I do next :confused:.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Fair dues.

Was up Kilakee the other day. Took 31mins which is much slower than the 27 minutes it usually takes for me to do the 6km. Wind from lookout to top was nuts, we were actually slower here than on the steepest sections in first 2km.

I am doing all my training now on a winter bike that is allot 2kg heavier than bike I will bring to France. Also using easiest gear of 34/25.

So hopefully fitness + weight loss + 2k lighter bike + 34/28 = less hardship on the climbs.
    Less hardship = more recovery

That's the theory anyhow.
    Doing less on the bike versus this time last year, but when on the bike I am training as opposed to commuting.

Same here. My winter hack weighs 12kgs. complete with 25mm. Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (which clock 590grs. apiece). It'll be a treat to do some of the upcoming Sportifs then on the lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i got absolutely nothing done this weekend so far. something came up. hoping to do the trainer later for an hour or so, and maybe get out early tomorrow morning for a few hours.

going try longer distance on flat 2moro head out towards kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i'm nearly sure you boy's can buy EPO on line legally :D:D
    guaranteed to get you over those hills :rolleyes:

For those who don't travel alot (me), check that your Passport is in date. Get an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), handy when they're dragging you back up a ravine.

New French road travel rules state that the vehicle driver should have a Breathalyser kit, disposable, available on ferries. A yellow vest and Warning triangle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

For those who don't travel alot (me), check that your Passport is in date. Get an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), handy when they're dragging you back up a ravine.

New French road travel rules state that the vehicle driver should have a Breathalyser kit, disposable, available on ferries. A yellow vest and Warning triangle.

I new about the yellow vest and triangle from when I drove a van in France last year, didn't know about the breathalyser kit though.

I new about the yellow vest and triangle from when I drove a van in France last year, didn't know about the breathalyser kit though.

breathalyser is new, mentioned on top gear at weekend. Started using the garmin on sunday so good summary of my riding, not yet got legs plenty work do and got keep finding my optiumum riding postion.

manafana wrote: »
    breathalyser is new, mentioned on top gear at weekend.

I think they also introduced mandatory shaved legs for cyclists, aswell as fully implementing "the rules"

they can shove their shaved legs up their a*** :)

Planning in doing Sally, Wicklow and Sally again via Kilbride. Anyone got plans? Is it a Bank Holiday weekend?

should be long weekend since paddys falls on a saturday, id be up for a monday ride post cheltenham im likely to have been off bike few days thou rearing to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I think they also introduced mandatory shaved legs for cyclists, aswell as fully implementing "the rules"

they can shove their shaved legs up their a*** :)

My legs will most definitely be shaved.

My thesis is simple, I may not be a cyclist of any reasonable description, but at least I will do my damnedest to look like I belong on a bike.

ROK ON wrote: »
    My legs will most definitely be shaved.

My thesis is simple, I may not be a cyclist of any reasonable description, but at least I will do my damnedest to look like I belong on a bike.

I'm going for the dark horse look, people automatically write me off because of my gorilla like hair growth. Paddy's weekend, I'm off on the Saturday but working Sunday and Monday, if that's any help? I'll travel if there's a good few of the Pyrénéen crew out but I'd like to go out with my club just once before the sportive season starts (assuming I'm fit enough by then).

heading out to wicklow this sunday morning with Peter (one of the lads who is coming on the trip who is not on bo ards) if anyone fancies meeting up for a spin. Should be a handy enough one.

• Advertisement

heading out to wicklow this sunday morning with Peter (one of the lads who is coming on the trip who is not on bo ards) if anyone fancies meeting up for a spin. Should be a handy enough one.

earlier the better for me, il be out sunday as usual coming from walkinstown, give me a pm, il be doing some flat km on saturday morning, forsaked the booze to get some km's in this week.

will do manafana.

Will miss this Sunday. Daughters Schools All Ireland Camogie Final on in Thurles Sunday.
    Will do Saturday. Sally and hopefully Wicklow Gaps and back N81.

no bother planet x - will try to make the paddys day spin. match is at 5 pm i think, so lots of time to kill (ourselves up hills) in wicklow before heading out to see the match.

I'm going out with MCC on Sunday, will do Paddies with ye though.

ill be out in wicklow again this sunday if anyone fancies meeting up. Not sure if I will make paddys weekend, but will try.

ill be out in wicklow again this sunday if anyone fancies meeting up. Not sure if I will make paddys weekend, but will try.

lenny il be out sunday again, meet in spawell again?

sounds good manafana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

If ye fancy any company on paddys day, give me a shout, doubt I'll have the chance to get out on the Sunday that week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Hey Lenny, I've sent you a pm with my number. I hope to get out sunday too, and would be good to meet up with some of the Raiders somewhere along the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement