Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Whitney!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    The media on the whole has been very quick to jump back on the "We love Whitney, she was the best thing ever" bandwagon now that she's dead. She was mocked within an inch of her life by the press when she had those disastrous concerts. Fickle.

Check out the Daily Mail and the Sun from yesterday. And then check out their pieces now. Hypocrisy at its most obvious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

The media on the whole has been very quick to jump back on the "We love Whitney, she was the best thing ever" bandwagon now that she's dead. She was mocked within an inch of her life by the press when she had those disastrous concerts. Fickle.

It was the same with Amy Whinehouse and Jade Goody and so many others. They're just playing to the public, it's the public who are the real fickle ones.

I'll get in trouble for this but as sad as Amy and Whitney's deaths are they were both expected and self inflicted and I do lose sympathy as a result. I'm a heartless bitch I know

I'll get in trouble for this but as sad and Amy and Whitney's deaths are they were both expected and self inflicted and I do lose sympathy as a result. I'm a heartless bitch I know

Oh, I can totally accept it was her own fault.

The abuse I got when I said that about Amy was ridonkulous :rolleyes:

Still sad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

The Jade Goody thing is actually quite scary, in retrospect. She is now pretty much a martyr, beloved of the press and the "nation". Solely because she died of cancer and that is obviously a horrible thing. But it doesn't excuse the fact that the same papers were mocking her continually for being "dumb" when she was healthy. Drives me mad.

A lot of people would have sympathy for Amy Winehouse because she died tragically (and I do think it was a tragedy) and she was famous but they would write off a homeless person who died of the same thing as having inflicted it on themselves.

Anyway, don't mean to derail the thread. I don't think there's any doubt that Houston was an incredible talent (that voice!); I just hate the hypocrisy at times like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

It is self inflicted but its still sad. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'll get in trouble for this but as sad and Amy and Whitney's deaths are they were both expected and self inflicted and I do lose sympathy as a result. I'm a heartless bitch I know
    No you're not!
    I think that it is natural to have less sympathy for someone who has lost their life through substance abuse, than a person killed in an accident or died of cancer and really fought to survive.
    I find it frustrating that many people are talented and successful with so much going for them (Amy Winehouse/Heath Ledger..) only to ruin their lives and careers through the substance abuse that ultimately claims their lives. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Lovely Muffin, your city questions here are proving great for me. They boyf and I have been trying to plan somewhere to go for months now and still haven't decided. Trying to find somewhere that neither of us have been and want to go to is proving impossible!

I'm gonna show him the last few pages of this thread and see if that helps :D

First Belfast and now this.
    Are you just unintentionally copying me? Or intentionally? :P
    Lol well we're going because it's my 21st in two weeks so my boyfriend is bringing me somewhere instead of getting me the usual birthday presents.

I'm really leaning towards Barcelona now tbh, it looks fab, there's plenty to do, don't have to change currency etc. He was there before and loved.

Although he would love to go Skiing, he was looking at Salzburg in Austria and Livingo in Italy, it's expensive though (and cold).

http://www.livigno.com/

The Jade Goody thing is actually quite scary, in retrospect. She is now pretty much a martyr, beloved of the press and the "nation". Solely because she died of cancer and that is obviously a horrible thing. But it doesn't excuse the fact that the same papers were mocking her continually for being "dumb" when she was healthy. Drives me mad.

A lot of people would have sympathy for Amy Winehouse because she died tragically (and I do think it was a tragedy) and she was famous but they would write off a homeless person who died of the same thing as having inflicted it on themselves.

Anyway, don't mean to derail the thread. I don't think there's any doubt that Houston was an incredible talent (that voice!); I just hate the hypocrisy at times like this.

Yea the Jade Goody thing always annoyed me but the one thing I will give her is that she did raise an awareness.

With Amy, it really depends on your definition of tragedy tbh, I personally wouldn't call it a tragedy when tbh we all saw it coming. It's awful sad and horrible that she lost her life so young but a tragedy implies that it was unexpected and out of the blue and wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I think that all three deaths (and all others) were awful and shouldn't have had to happen and of course are very upsetting but I suppose I can just be very realist about these and detach myself from the emotion. But at the end of the day a death is still a death and these things should never happen and it is awful when they do

"self-inflicted" is debatable, to be perfectly honest. There's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

• Advertisement

Lol well we're going because it's my 21st in two weeks so my boyfriend is bringing me somewhere instead of getting me the usual birthday presents.

I'm really leaning towards Barcelona now tbh, it looks fab, there's plenty to do, don't have to change currency etc. He was there before and loved.

Although he would love to go Skiing, he was looking at Salzburg in Austria and Livingo in Italy, it's expensive though (and cold).

http://www.livigno.com/

*sorry for the double post*
    Barcelona is on our list and my it's my mum's favourite city but we've both been before. But if it's not too expensive we might try go sometime soon!

Last year we went to London as a join Christmas/Anniversary present to each other but we've done presents for that this year but we have money so we could still do a trip anyway. it's be nice just to have some proper time together.

Ugh, skiing sounds like nightmare. Surrounded in snow? *shudder*

"self-inflicted" is debatable, to be perfectly honest. There's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

Obviously, I know what addiction and self abuse looks like. I've seen a lot of it. I know all the underlying elements

But there is still that self infliction element. No one forced them to do those drugs, it was still their choice no matter what argument you make.

Addiction is a horrible, life destroying illness but you can't let the addicts off blame free. They are not fully to blame either though

But like I said, I am a heartless bitch

Yea the Jade Goody thing always annoyed me but the one thing I will give her is that she did raise an awareness.
    Oh, definitely. She deserves that legacy. I actually always quite liked her and felt bad for how the press treated her. Still remember her wrapping herself in cling-film when going to bed in the BB house to try to lose weight. :D

You're right WN, self-inflicted is perhaps the wrong choice of words. It's never as simple as that, really. Mental illness comes into play, etc. But the press don't do much to give these people a break when they're alive. Vicious circle.

Edit: Muffin, if ye're set on skiing I think Andorra might the cheapest place to look. We looked into it recently and the best deals seemed to be there.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I got a 72 in my assignment, which means I'm still getting a first in Economics, I have absolutely no idea how....

Doesn't matter how! Just keep doing what you are doing, its obviously working! Well done!

Is there an official COD yet??

Haha, just got a text from the boy who's on a lads weekend 'Whitneys dead :( Im gutted :( when Mariah sings at the funeral I'm gonna be balling :('

What a woman :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Paris can be expensive but I was there before on a TINY budget and had a great time. Just don't go mad and eat in over-priced tourist area restaurants and all is good with Paris. I certainly didn't find it more expensive than Dublin!! :eek:
    So many people love Barcelona. I've been to Barcelona before and hated it. I know a few people who go there regularly for holidays but I'd only go back there if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to!! :o

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Is there an official COD yet??

Not that I've heard.

Posy wrote: »
    Paris can be expensive but I was there before on a TINY budget and had a great time. Just don't go mad and eat in over-priced tourist area restaurants and all is good with Paris.
    This is true. My friend is just back from Paris with her boyfriend and they said a lot of the attractions are free for "young adults", which goes up to the age of 26 (apparently). It's been so long since I was there that I can't remember prices and stuff but it's definitely possible to do it cheaply. Especially, if you stay somewhere cheaper and perhaps not as central because the metro will bring you anywhere fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Posy wrote: »
    Paris can be expensive but I was there before on a TINY budget and had a great time. Just don't go mad and eat in over-priced tourist area restaurants and all is good with Paris. I certainly didn't find it more expensive than Dublin!! :eek:
    So many people love Barcelona. I've been to Barcelona before and hated it. I know a few people who go there regularly for holidays but I'd only go back there if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to!! :o

My boyfriend brought me to Paris this time last year for Valentines day and it was amazing. We didn't have much money at all so we kinda had like a crossiant for breakfast and a roll for lunch and then did something nice for dinner. We rented bikes (the Parisian version of the Dublin Bikes) so didn't use the metro much,about 6 times, to get to and from the hotel and central Paris. It doesn't have to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My friends back home still make me sad. We have a private Facebook group. One girl just moved to Australia and another girl and her are having a conversation swapping Skype details and gonna have a call tomorrow. Nobody asked me for my Skype :( And the girl back home asking was a bit abrupt in her response to my email asking how she is, I felt. Other than that she hasn't bothered to contact me.

Ugh I hate Facebook. I'd love to delete it but it's what all my friends here use to organise get togethers and how the student groups let you know about events, so need it right now to make friends here. I just keep deleting or blocking anyone who annoys me anyway. Stupid website rules the world.

Might leave our private group though cause things in it keep upsetting me. Even though I know they will all just talk about why I left instead of anyone asking me.

My Saturday night of study became a night of junk food and double Denzel Washington raaawwrr. Lie in tomorrow though cause my showshoeing was postponed cause of bad weather booo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ow my head

i think i am diseased again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Is it just me or is it deathly cold? I cannot get warm. I got up to go for a run, shivering - I didn't even warm up running. Had a hot shower, blowdried myself dry and am back in bed shivering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

musical.x wrote: »
    tell him! seriously you really cant read people! i've done this so many times and i've regretted it ever since! plus if it all goes to pot he is going away anyway so you wont feel awkward or anything :) go for it and it will stop you over thinking everything and you will have peace of mind. go for it and let us know the outcome :D

I am definitely going to tell him, it's just a matter now of getting him on his own (virtually impossible to do these days :p) at a time when my courage levels are high (those times are very, very rare :p). Probably won't even be for a few weeks or months but I'm going to do it for sure. Ahhhh, feel nervous already :o

Have my passport application form, just need to get my photos and the mountain of supporting documentation in order before I can apply. Exciting times! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Sunday morning lectures should be illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Must get up and go running.... But bed is so warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

What a great morning :)
    Found out I won a competition on facebook for CAKE!!
    I won a mini 3 tier cake to be delivered on valentines day :)

432236_295892417138677_148443251883595_818291_1110363973_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Cutie18, that looks amazing, very jealous...

I'm as sick as a small hospital :/ Stupid chest infections, should really try get to doctor this week :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Obviously, I know what addiction and self abuse looks like. I've seen a lot of it. I know all the underlying elements

But there is still that self infliction element. No one forced them to do those drugs, it was still their choice no matter what argument you make.

Addiction is a horrible, life destroying illness but you can't let the addicts off blame free. They are not fully to blame either though

But like I said, I am a heartless bitch

I don't see why there needs to be 'blame' at all. Some fcuked up things happen in people's lives and they end up making a bad bad choice and find themselves trapped in a spiral of physical dependence. It's horrific enough for them and their families, I don't see what finger wagging adds tbh.

My brother was a heroin user for 7 years, if he had died (I was resigned to the fact that he was going to) and someone had told me that he brought it on himself I don't know how I would have reacted. He's a human being and a loving brother and shouldn't be defined by the chain of events that lead him to being in the sorry state he was in.

BTW, your point isn't coming across as heartless at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Wow sorry to hear about Whitney but not overly shocked. I think that's what makes me feel sad.

Gonna bake the **** outta my kitchen today. Then I'm going to the cinema later and gonna stuff my face with chocolate peanuts and fizzy jellies. Can't. Fooking.Wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Jaysus complete fail of a morning for me. I'm trying to get things done so I can go out and play but everything is going wrong. It so beautiful outside.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement