Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything bad to say about Austraila ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Something which is endemic over here is 'employers' stinging people doing cash in hand work. In my first month here I got stung for a weeks wages - a result of my own naivety in not demanding cash-in-hand at the end of every day, but then the more I spoke to Irish people, I realised I was far from the only one, I was only done for 700 but heard of people done for nearly 2,000. Mental stuff, there's no shortage of scummy ***** over here who love to take advantage of people on the WHV who are working for cash in hand.

No offense, but if you are going to do something which is illegal (working for cash in hand) then you can't complain when somebody else does something just as illegal (not pay you). You have no leg to stand on.

I've gone out and spent the extra 4-5 dollars for a 6 pack of white rabbit dark ale for this evening. I am well and truly sick of the generic beers they have down here. They all taste the same. Different name, same taste. It's all a cod!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Getting paid cash isn't illegal. It's no different to getting paid as a contrator on ABN direct to bank account.

Getting paid as ABN (cash in hand or not) and not declaring it for tax purposes is very different.

Mellor wrote: »
    Getting paid cash isn't legal. It's no different to getting paid as a contrator on ABN direct to bank account.

Getting paid as ABN (cash in hand or not) and not declaring it for tax purposes is very different.

Isn't legal or isn't illegal?

I was always under the impression that working chas in hand was illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Something which is endemic over here is 'employers' stinging people doing cash in hand work. In my first month here I got stung for a weeks wages - a result of my own naivety in not demanding cash-in-hand at the end of every day, but then the more I spoke to Irish people, I realised I was far from the only one, I was only done for 700 but heard of people done for nearly 2,000. Mental stuff, there's no shortage of scummy ***** over here who love to take advantage of people on the WHV who are working for cash in hand.

Some Irish contractors are the worst offenders at this, I remember a few years a few boys didn't get paid and the boss had took off to Ireland for a holiday. Unlucky for them as their visa's ran out before he got back, I hear its common enough.

• Advertisement

Wow, some absence of morals here. Thousands and thousands of people work cash in hand in Australia, it's commonplace. Not saying that this makes it right, but when you're a backpacker looking to get just a weeks work or so, cash in hand is the only option really, as business dont appreciate someone working for a week or two then ****ing off.

Not saying you shouldn't have worked cash in hand, but I find it funny that you slate dodgey employers for not paying you when you are doing something dodgey yourself. You surely would have known what you were getting yourself into. Any employer who is paying cash in hand is doing so he/she can underpay you. How can you trust somebody like that?

04072511 wrote: »
    Isn't legal or isn't illegal?

I was always under the impression that working chas in hand was illegal.
    lol, confusing typo there. Sorry. Fixed it now.

It isn't illegal to be paid cash. You are essentially operating your own business, a sole trader. Nothing wrong with recieving payments in cash. There are loads of perfectly legitimate businesses that operate this way. Think of anytime you paid for a service in cash.
    Obviously, lots of people use this as a way to avoid tax, but its avoid tax thats illegal, not the cash in hand. Recieving cash in hand and declaring it would be perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Oh yea one other thing they are not Thongs they are flip-flops. I have never nor will I ever wear Thongs on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Can't get a decent cup of coffee.

Apart from in Tiger Tiger in Perth, I have only ever gotten awful dishwater masquerading as coffee. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Slightly more on the actual topic but is it more common in Australia for employers to short casual employees than elsewhere? I seem to recall a number of cases in the media in Ireland where foreign labourers were left short by employers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

From my experience, and loads of other Irish people I have spoken to, yes, it's rife.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Lads enough of this crap - no more please, back on thread. Last warning, also you can leave your tax until the end of the tax year. Don't slate the poster if he is not paying tax now.

But **** sake it's fairly difficult to find a job here in Melbourne at the moment, so many travellers have to make do with cash in hand - take a look at gumtree.

Stick it out here. Come March or April you will get a mass exodus of working travellers who will migrate to the north like sheep to chase the hot weather, leaving plenty of casual work for people who are not so one dimensional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Stick it out here. Come March or April you will get a mass exodus of working travellers who will migrate to the north like sheep to chase the hot weather, leaving plenty of casual work for people who are not so one dimensional.

Well look at all the huge sites around - in Sydney moreso than Melbourne - labour companies never seem to have any work going, and im here since December. Then quite often you hear of people labouring for 25$ or 30$ an hour. I guess it's either luck, or contacts over here. And yet im told this time of year - Feb / March - is usually good for Melbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

sudzs wrote: »
    Can't get a decent cup of coffee.

Apart from in Tiger Tiger in Perth, I have only ever gotten awful dishwater masquerading as coffee. :(
    Must be a Perth thing coffee here is awesome.

Another thing about Oz is it’s appalling TV. So much reality TV. “The Farmer wants a wife”, “The Block”, “Please marry my boy”. Goodness, what next?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Zambia wrote: »

This is true Melbourne is a great place for good coffee

Another thing about Oz is it’s appalling TV. So much reality TV. “The Farmer wants a wife”, “The Block”, “Please marry my boy”. Goodness, what next?!
    Having recently been home, i can say its gone to the dogs there too,
    Jordie shore, The only way is essex, Tallaghtfornia

...shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Doc wrote: »
    Oh yea one other thing they are not Thongs they are flip-flops. I have never nor will I ever wear Thongs on the beach.

Typical Newb mistake, your supposed to take your Thong off when your on the beach and let the sand work its way in, just dont do it around children...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

, public transport is still a joke,
    The trains in Sydney are at a third world level. How a country this wealthy cant have air con in every carriage is beyond me.
    (although Bertie did get brained in Fagans last week, good on ya whoever you are)

Did he? Cant find anything on Google about it.
    Well look at all the huge sites around - in Sydney moreso than Melbourne - labour companies never seem to have any work going, and im here since December. Then quite often you hear of people labouring for 25$ or 30$ an hour. I guess it's either luck, or contacts over here. And yet im told this time of year - Feb / March - is usually good for Melbourne.

The general word is that a large amount of construction companys arent bothering going full steam ahead with their new contracts (as long as the customers agree) just yet, as it is fairly pointless in this atrocious weather system that is going to last all summer/ autumn.

One last thing that really gets my gripe, the way they talk about "whinging poms" when having a moan is an Austalian pastime.

The economy is dodgy. Carbon tax. Boat people.

Grow the fcuk up. You are the only country in the world to avoid the GFC (and you then voted in an idiot PM who booted out the guy responsible for avoiding it in the first place). The only Australians who are jobless are bogan fcukwits who are paid too well off the state to bother working. Your country of 22 million gets 6000 odd boat people- most of whom cost less in welfare and given the chance are probably harder working than your Centrelink regulars. Apart from this awful summer you have nearly continous good weather and yet all you can do is pretend your life is awful. Try living in Ireland in the Celtic Tiger years. High cost of living, sh1te wages relative to that cost, about 3 days of summer per year....honest to god they dont know how well they have it here

• Advertisement

Grow the fcuk up. You are the only country in the world to avoid the GFC (and you then voted in an idiot PM who booted out the guy responsible for avoiding it in the first place). The only Australians who are jobless are bogan fcukwits who are paid too well off the state to bother working. Your country of 22 million gets 6000 odd boat people- most of whom cost less in welfare and given the chance are probably harder working than your Centrelink regulars. Apart from this awful summer you have nearly continous good weather and yet all you can do is pretend your life is awful. Try living in Ireland in the Celtic Tiger years. High cost of living, sh1te wages relative to that cost, about 3 days of summer per year....honest to god they dont know how well they have it here

The whinging POM is really a target as a POM like myself and others chose to come and live here. So if we whinge about it then the Aussies quite rightly tell us to bugger back to the northern hemisphere.

Just like if you expressed these feeling to an Aussie they would happily give you a lift to Kingsford Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Or the ones i like, they get on Forums using cool names and say how crap the Australia is, but they stay there for as long as they can because where they are from is twice as crap:pac:

Oh the laughs...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭radharc05

Thats so funny, because theres a link on 'u tube' I think its called
    'S**T Perth people say!

'THe Coffee is SOOOO much betta in Melburn'!

Aparantly everyone complains about Perth so they leave and go to Melbourne, then when they're in Melbourne they reminess about Perth'

But I guarantee as much as we complain about it here and want to go, the minute we hit Australia (VISA PERMITTING) we'll be giving Oz a hard time and talk about Ireland like its the best place in the world!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Ireland is a complete ****hole and getting worse, I should know I am still here!!! And we didn't even know what coffee was untill a few years ago!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭radharc05

No6 wrote: »
    Ireland is a complete ****hole and getting worse, I should know I am still here!!! And we didn't even know what coffee was untill a few years ago!!:D

True, its getting unbearable to live here. Thats why we're trying to leave!
    May as well be miserable in the sun shur wha!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Rural W.A. Is pretty grim, nothing happens, well except for they wait for the rain...but since there's F all work there I don't suppose that'll be a prob.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

I've been in Sydney for 5 months and leaving soon because I've found the place to be wholly un-Australian. I don't know what Australia is supposed to be, but it's certainly not city. When I first got here I was very unimpressed with everywhere in Sydney being named after somewhere in England, the Queen herself on the money etc. Obviously it makes sense seeing as the country itself is an offspring of the UK, but it was just a shock!

I suppose once I leave Sydney I'll get to see real Australia, but all in all, it's a very English-Asian city with very little Australian thrown in.

Also, the cereal, biscuits, chocolate, sausages, TV ad breaks, radio, and inability to get Frizz Ease or Eucerin products are crap!

But, the people, weather, wages, opportunities and adventures are amazing. =) Granted weather has been useless in Sydney since we got here, at least I'm wet with a job and money!

Joan where are you going to see that Australia 1960?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

Joan where are you going to see that Australia 1960?

Ah typical Irish sarcastic response... I didn't claim what I know Australia to be, and I don't know if you know anything about Sydney, but most Aussies here will say that Sydney is a horrible money-grabbing city, and most of the Aussies here are completely and totally racist (even though they all have European ancestry.) If this forum is supposed to be for opinion and discussion, then I suggest, as a moderator, you lay off on the sarcastic off-putting comments, and encourage discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

joaneire wrote: »
    When I first got here I was very unimpressed with everywhere in Sydney being named after somewhere in England, the Queen herself on the money etc. Obviously it makes sense seeing as the country itself is an offspring of the UK, but it was just a shock!

eh

I didn't know there was a

Woolloomooloo
    Parramatta
    Dee Why
    or God forbid Carlingford in England?

Advertisement