Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything bad to say about Austraila ?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Well, of 100 million plus Nigerians in the world not one of them has managed to send me a dodgy email in 12 years online for me. I nearly feel left out :pac:

PM me you email address and you can have some of mine if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

in my short time here I found that, with the exception of the Lebanese, Australians aren't racist
    :pac:

Classic

P.S. Australia is alright. But Canada is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

mandrake04 wrote: »
    To be honest I am no Traveller lover and have no intention to be, but to say that there has been no Ethnic (which is classed by the UN as Racial) discrimination in Ireland is a bit idiotic as everyone knows the story there.

I was just using the point because when people like Joaneire, Catchlight & Puzzlefactory are very quick to pull out the old all (or most) Aussies are racist argument...... they are sort of shooting themselves in the foot.

Maybe 10 years ago I would have have agreed with them, but now I am a bit more world wise to look back and say sure us Irish are no better in that respects. I was just using the Travellers as a pretty good example because any Irish person could relate to it.

Its an excellent case of Glass houses & stones.

I accept and agree that sometimes Travellers are their own worst enemy, but really who here would agree that Racism is justified on one group and not another.

Irish_bob I have seen plenty of posts your post on Travellers before, and really they go along the same line as Father Damo. Fair enough you don't like Travellers because they do dodgy paint jobs and tarmacing.

But if that's the justification then its likely you would you also say that Racial discrimination against Nigerians/Africans is justified because some have been involved in the old email scams?

Or is that different?

yes , it is different , its apples and organges and do you know why ?

because nigerians are a different race than most irish people , travellers are no different from an ethnicity POV than any other caucasian irish person , the only people who believe that travellers are a distinct ethnic group are career PC do gooders who earn a living working for some QUANGO and who managed to get the ear of some like minded silly liberal at the UN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

04072511 wrote: »
    More of a pet peeve than anything else, but what is the deal with Aussies not filling things up to the top? Pints, coke in McDonalds, and worst of all, and something I have not seen in any of the other 26 countries I have been to, is the fact that in McDonalds in Australia they don't fill the chips up to the top. They generally fill it up about 80%, so if you order large you are effectively getting a medium fries. This has happened on so many occasions that it has gotten to the stage where I just go back to them and ask them to fill it up to the top.

Yes I have sampled McDonalds in all those countries :)

that happens in ireland aswell , particulary when it comes to buying an icecream cone , some shop keepers are awfull scottish when it comes to the 99,s :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

CatchLight wrote: »
    I said I experienced racism in Australia. I worked with mostly Indian and Afghan people who told me the stories.

That's not experiencing racism. That's experiencing hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

I'm sick of trying to defend myself here. I don't even know why I bother to post, no doubt someone else will try to tear this post apart. I may not be great at expressing myself through words, but I will try to put this as plainly as possible:

I have experienced racism here towards myself.

I have experienced racism towards others, both in my presence and from stories like I said.

If anyone needs any clarification, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

even in the middle of summertime it gets dark far too early 8:30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mandrake04 wrote: »
    even in the middle of summertime it gets dark far too early 8:30 pm.

That reminds me, the clowns that voted out daylight savings in WA can burn in hell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

CatchLight wrote: »
    I'm sick of trying to defend myself here. I don't even know why I bother to post, no doubt someone else will try to tear this post apart. I may not be great at expressing myself through words, but I will try to put this as plainly as possible:

I have experienced racism here towards myself.

I have experienced racism towards others, both in my presence and from stories like I said.

If anyone needs any clarification, please PM me.

People are just being argumentative for the sake of it. Nobody really believes themselves saying "theres alot more/ equal amount of racism in Ireland". Its a wind up ;)

Anyway....negative stuff ehhhh......their crisps are sh1te.

Actually, one major one. No cloakrooms in nightclubs in the wtiner, WTF like. As hot as Sydney usually is, June and July are baltic at night, yet I have never once been in a club with a cloakroom. Lose a feckin jacket every night I go out :(

Another one along the same line is nightclub toilets. They are a fcuking disgrace, they dont bother cleaning them through the night in most places. It is pretty poor form paying 40 odd quid to get into Home nightclub when you have to pull your cuffs off the ground so you dont get piss on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I disagree completely. The only thing I find quite expensive in Perth is the beer on a night out but you don't *have* to drink it.

Everything else is nicely relative to the good wages that can be obtained without going near a mine.

Oh come on Xavi. I know you like it here but it is bloody expensive! You cant argue with it. It even says so on the IMMI webiste when your getting your visa.

And here have a squint at this:http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/perth-climbs-expensive-city-ranks/story-e6frg2qc-1226271045138

Unless im getting grossley underpaid!!;)

But even with that its still a wicked place.

And what the hell are you all arguing about? You crazy people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Nobody really believes themselves saying "theres alot more/ equal amount of racism in Ireland". Its a wind up ;)

Classic:D

Yep there is nothing of that sort, what so ever, never has been and never will be in this faux eutopia that is Ireland*

*as i wipe away tears from laughing so hard

The Aussie wrote: »
    Classic:D

Yep there is nothing of that sort, what so ever, never has been and never will be in this faux eutopia that is Ireland*

*as i wipe away tears from laughing so hard

Australia has a handful of boat people come in and it is arguably the single most talked about social issue in Australia today, despite it being near irrelevant to the economic or social status quo.

One more negative- has anyone else noticed that people with what you might call....well... Home and Away type names are nearly always idiots. Names like

Brett
    Brent
    Trent
    Joel
    Corey

Nearly everyone I have met with these soap type names (theres others I cant think of) has either been bone idle lazy, thick as a plank or an arsehole. Or all three. I guess it is probably a reflection of parents who would pick these wanky names.

Australia has a handful of boat people come in and it is arguably the single most talked about social issue in Australia today, despite it being near irrelevant to the economic or social status quo.

And the point being.....

The Aussie wrote: »
    And the point being.....

That it shows the extent that the two main political parties try to covet the keep the darkies out portion of the electorate? Despite the fact that it is a near non issue? The front page of the Telegraph today was about how much freebies they allegedly get on arrival, all 7000 odd of them. One has to wonder how much freebies, dole, free housing and other benefits the 5% of the Australian too bone idle to work get on a yearly basis, never mind a handful from abroad. Yet I have yet to hear any pollie come out and state that these fcukers should go out and get a job or face having their benefits taken away.

One reason that Indians/ Chinese get alot of ill feeling is a fear of competition. Australia has always been more of a country where experience and attitude has been more important than college education when trying to secure a job. Which tbh unless it is a highly skilled position (law, medicine etc etc) is a good thing. The type of pressure that exists in Ireland for school leavers to get some type, indeed any type, of 3rd level qualification no matter how vague or dubious/ pointless said degree is, doesnt really exist in Australia (though tbh in Ireland I think part of it is a rub off of the whole nouveau riche attitude the Celtic Tiger created- working class families adding "my boy is in UCD" to the list of yearly new car, foreign holiday home and other luxuries which 10 years previously had been the preserve of the truly wealthy). Back home it wasnt uncommon to see job adverts requiring a 3rd level qualification in....well....anything. You could fcuk about in Trinity for 4 years on a pointless catch all Arts degree and instantly jump the interview queue over someone who left school with their leaving cert but was more intelligent/ harder working than the graduate.

Things are changing however. Most of the Indians/ Chinese arriving have 3rd level qualifications, or are persuing them through colleges here, which many natives see as a threat to the status quo of the job market. I very briefly worked in an office environment (insurance) here and have to say that the office crowd were far more racist than the tradies I currently work with, probably because the lads in the construction welcome migration as a source of labourers, lads who are more of a help to their own personal gain rather than a hinderence like the office crowd might feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

That it shows the extent that the two main political parties try to covet the keep the darkies out portion of the electorate
    ModThe irony about posting about racist Australia eh? Take a yellow, and do not go near that line again. You have a knack, more than anyone else here, in provoking a reaction from people
    I very briefly worked in an office environment (insurance) here and have to say that the office crowd were far more racist than the tradies I currently work with, probably because the lads in the construction welcome migration as a source of labourers, lads who are more of a help to their own personal gain rather than a hinderence like the office crowd might feel.

Mod - Stop talking out of your hat, as with a lot of your posts, you tend to imply everyone is like the small few you have worked with.

Guys I am issuing a warning here, this post has been dealt with, please don't rise to the bait
    This thread has turned into a nasty bickering one ... Can we try be a bit more civil?

Cool by me.

Any way back to "anything bad to say about Australia?" the Tabloid Media which covers just about everything except SBS World News that i dont mind as a news source, i did not believe it was as bad as it was until i had lived abroad for a while and went back for a holiday and picked up the Courier Mail. what a load of puss that has turned into, 20+ years ago it would have been the equivalent to The Examiner but has slunk into The Sun without the Page 3 chicks and Channel 7, 9 and 10 are worse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

One more negative- has anyone else noticed that people with what you might call....well... Home and Away type names are nearly always idiots. Names like

Brett
    Brent
    Trent
    Joel
    Corey

Nearly everyone I have met with these soap type names (theres others I cant think of) has either been bone idle lazy, thick as a plank or an arsehole. Or all three. I guess it is probably a reflection of parents who would pick these wanky names.

TrentTrentTrent

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056545031

jumpy, congrats mate. You finally got a chance to use it.

Soda bottles!!! what a junky scummer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ronanh1981

First of all, Australia is a great country with some wonderful people. That said, like anywhere else, there are downsides.

1) The whole Bogan/Macho hardman culture is just deeply embarrassing
    2) The tattoo obsession
    3) The extraordinary cost of even the most basic and oftentimes not very good service or product
    4) The unbelievably bad driving standards. It amuses me to hear people slagging off drivers in Ireland. I suspect they have never had the pleasure of driving here. The whole bogan thing is also a major part of the driving problems with their insanely idiotic macho attitude.
    5) The mind bogglingly awful nature of TV over here. SBS is about the only one that is semi watchable out of the free to air ones.
    6) This is a petty one but it really gets on my tits the way young people in particular seem to describe even the most banal thing as "awesome", wait for a reply when they ask how my day has been and the various other mangling of the English language that they do.

Having said that, those are all pretty small gripes in the great scheme of things.

Advertisement