Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything bad to say about Austraila ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

But we have good reason to dislike travellers. During the boom near on 90% of them were on benefits. They are, in general, a load of inbred violent disrecpectful alcoholic layabouts who think the state owes them a living. They have even brought their crap over to this country

Im not saying all abos are saints, but up north alot of them seemed to be in employment, drink in bars with the whites, lead regular lives like anyone else basically.

The main issue here is that "racism" against travellers, if you can call it that, usually has good justification. In Australia, from experience, racism against immigrants and boat people seems to be more borne out of a fear that they will show up the locals by working harder than they do. You will never get an Aussie pollie coming out and saying the truth, that in urban Australia unemployment as such does not exist. That pretty much everyone on the dole is too lazy to get a job. Instead Abbott and Gillard play table tennis on the almost non existant boat people issue to curry the favour of a large redneck bogan proportion of the electorate into voting for them so they can keep out the whopping 6000 odd boat people per year. When in truth the Australian taxpayer and justice system would benefit better by bringing them in and deporting the 5% of the native population on the dole to Malaysia :) As for the abos I dont think the average Aussie hates them as a whole, just the ones who spend their days sitting on the streets with a goon bag moaning about how society fcuked them over. A bit like the likes of Pavee Point do back home really.

Your really talking pipe here. Your a hypocrite. There's racism towards foreigners, travellers and English people in Ireland. Don't know how bad it is in Australia but your talking as if theres not much of it here. Travellers probably get it the worst and I wouldn't say there's "justification" in it.

But seriously everywhere you go there'll be racists and the like so who cares? Just man up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Something bad to say about Australia, hmmm I've been here 5 months, lived in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth n took a 6 day road trip to uluru, so I'd like to think I have a nice grasp of the place and honestly I haven't a bad word to say about here ....I've had some incredible high points due to the oppurtunities afforded to me here and horrible low points due to my own actions , it is a beautiful country , that I am very fortunate enough to be experiencing.....I will return home without a visa extension and a few months left on my first year visa but that has nothin to do with a dislike for the place, just more to do with my love for my family and friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

Why is it when anything negative is said about Australia on this forum there is a backlash against the Irish and Ireland?? This thread is titled 'Anything bad to say about Australia'.

I realise racism is a touchy subject and I agree there is an element of it in most countries but its very difficult to contribute to this forum because some people are so argumentative. It has to turn people off posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

CatchLight wrote: »
    Why is it when anything negative is said about Australia on this forum there is a backlash against the Irish and Ireland?? This thread is titled 'Anything bad to say about Australia'.

I realise racism is a touchy subject and I agree there is an element of it in most countries but its very difficult to contribute to this forum because some people are so argumentative. It has to turn people off posting here.

Catchlight, standing ovation for you. I merely pointed out a few observations I had, things that are different to what I thought Australia to be, and I'm called a 'racist foreigner?' Completely puts me off ever posting on this hypocritical site. OP clearly wanted a realistic view of what they're going to encounter in Australia, and instead, they're now probably being inundated with auto-generated e-mails from boards.ie saying the thread has been updated only to find a few petty people arguing over ethnicity in Ireland. It's absolutely shocking. I'm probably just going to PM the OP and allow them to ask me questions about what they'll REALLY find in Australia.

And as for Mandrake, you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. The use of 'everywhere' and 'all of them' was merely a turn of phrase. I had done a lot of research on Australia, but a lifetime of Home and Away and Neighbours influence cannot be erased with internet research. Childish as that may be, Ireland's knowledge of Australia is definitely linked to television, which is completely idealistic and romanticised, and now it is linked to recession/forceful immigration. You clearly haven't noticed that there are a lot of Irish people coming here because they feel they have to, and who had no interest in travelling, and still have no interest, and as such, don't research where they're going. I can testify to this as my brother is one such person. He openly admitted he is happy at home and doesn't want to leave, but as a carpenter, he has no choice. I merely pointed out that there is a major English and Asian influence in Sydney, which was racist at all, and it is something that I find very interesting - it has actually made me want to visit China / south-east Asia. I also live with 2/3 Vietnamese (not quite sure how many of them actually live here) and an English, so before you start throwing out obsolete insults and making a fool of yourself, you may want to think first about what you're insinuating.

6ix, I completely agree with what you said, and it has given me a lot to think about. What I have said above about Home and Away etc also applies as a response to you. I don't know what I expected of Australia, because, let me reiterate, I couldn't find any realistic information on Australia when I did my research! I have been to places such as Old Bar, Yamba and Nambucca, and was impressed with the small-town charm, and wholly Aussie feel. Sydney is an urban sprawl and much of the time I've been here I've wondered why, because I would have never lived in Dublin/any other large city. I realise I insinuated I'm leaving Sydney based on the observations I've made, but that was a mistake on my part. I'm leaving because I don't want to get stuck in one place (like a lot of Irish do), I have to do the regional work, and want to see more of this amazing/multicultural country! Nothing excites me more than the thoughts of working on a farm in bushland Australia and seeing another element of Australian society.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

The only bad things I can think of

A lot of younger men seem to be arrogant macho pr!cks !

Standard of driving is pretty shocking.

Its expensive, you gotta be careful where you shop and that.

Technology is pretty ****ty here even compared with home.

Its a great country tho, beautiful sights, the money is amazing, lots to do !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

its very difficult to contribute to this forum because some people are so argumentative. It has to turn people off posting here.

It happens alot in Boards as a whole unfortunatly and youd be suprised how many of the same names seem to swan about on here knowing it all.

Ive been out here now for two years. Oz i a nice place but its far from perfect. Cost of living is too high. Thats my main gripe. If you think your gonna come here and become a high roller your dreaming. Unless you put in massive hours in the mines. But even then you pay massive rent because the people that own houses to let in the small "mining towns" just want to rip you off.
    The young Australian male is a total wan*er. Its not there fault i suppose there seems to have been a generation that grew up with bad parenting.
    But its like anywhere. I just avoid them like i would the wan*ers at home.
    I live in a place called Claremont at the minute. Its kind of a suburb of Perth and kind of a town in its own right. Im 10 mins by train to Perth city and 10 mins by train to Fremantle where i work. Its great here. Australia is what you make of it. Its hard at the start and not many Australians you meet will give you the time of day. You will find them rude and unhelpfull. Dont let this annoy you. Its just what they are like.
    One last thing. I think Australia is more like America than Ireland.
    Come and try it and be open minded. If its not for you then its not for you. I still dont know. But hey im working, have a nice apartment and good friends around me. Not every one is as lucky or open minded as i am.

jank wrote: »
    Ah the whole, every Aussie is racist argument.

Okay, how about many people who consider themselves 'real' Aussies are racist? Look, I'm writing what I've heard other people say. Our coffee guy in work is Greek (2nd gen Australian I think) and he made a statement to me that Australia Day is also known as 'Bash a Lebbo' Day...What was I supposed to take from that? My bf works with an Aussie from Kempsey, and he makes a lot of racis remarks as well.

Ireland isn't as multicultural as Australia, and so I honestly assumed that Australia would be open about the multicultural thing, and I thought it would be more embraced. I didn't think I'd hear words like 'Lebbo', 'Abbo' and 'Wog' so frequently. It is what it is. You can meet one racist Aussie, and 10 open-minded but you'll always remember the racist one. But clearly it's my own fault for generalising, something which I don't do frequently. Apologies for even opening my bloody mouth!

Flyer1 wrote: »

Standard of driving is pretty shocking.

I've seen U-turns on traffic riddled (not standstill traffic) main roads... hilarious! You just have to laugh! Also, all valid information for OP =)

I have another relevant one (the direction this thread has taken leaves a lot to be desired) ...

Being charged $2 (or more) every time you use another bank's ATM. Not a problem at the beginning, then you start to realise it adds up! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

joaneire wrote: »
    6ix, I completely agree with what you said, and it has given me a lot to think about. What I have said above about Home and Away etc also applies as a response to you. I don't know what I expected of Australia, because, let me reiterate, I couldn't find any realistic information on Australia when I did my research! I have been to places such as Old Bar, Yamba and Nambucca, and was impressed with the small-town charm, and wholly Aussie feel. Sydney is an urban sprawl and much of the time I've been here I've wondered why, because I would have never lived in Dublin/any other large city. I realise I insinuated I'm leaving Sydney based on the observations I've made, but that was a mistake on my part. I'm leaving because I don't want to get stuck in one place (like a lot of Irish do), I have to do the regional work, and want to see more of this amazing/multicultural country! Nothing excites me more than the thoughts of working on a farm in bushland Australia and seeing another element of Australian society.

Fair enough, it makes more sense when you explain it that way. If you dislike living in cities then you're not going to like Sydney any more than Dublin or London. Although that said, Sydney does have the added advantage of the beaches (and the weather to match most of the time!) which is a nice amenity to have,

Enjoy exploring Australia, it's something I intend do a lot of myself once I've worked for a while and the time is right. Oh, and definitely go to South East Asia if you can, you'll definitely have a lot of very different cultural experiences that are nothing like Ireland or the UK.

OP - I can't add much more to what's been mentioned already, totally agree with the ATM charges, they're ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Catch that is the nature of a touchy subject.

There will always be a backlash if people come on and make racism accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Thought I'd add to the line of commentary.
    I first came to Australia in '98. Travelled, worked all over. Spent 3 months working in Cairns where I was never called by my first name but addressed as Irish and I was the most senior person on the floor. When I left suburban Sydney to work in NT, I was considered insane by my then boss to be going to such a backwater.
    Even within Australia, people have preconceived ideas of other places and their people.
    Yes, Australia has racists. Everywhere does. I went to Uni in the UK after high school and was ridiculed for my inability to pronounce 'th'. Coming from a rural backwater, it just wasn't in my local brogue. You just get on with it and now I would have to purposefully say it the Irish/hiberno way.
    Fast forward to today, I have 2 passports, found an Ozzie OH and extended family here.
    Yes, I agree a lot of the youth and 20 somethings can be somewhat rude, whether it's from their upbringing or it's their generation, I don't know, but I won't lose sleep over it.
    A difference that I have noticed over the years is that Australians take things quite literally and will call a spade a spade. So you won't get that 'offering a guy a lift', and the 'oh no, I couldn't impose' and then, 'ah go on you will of course'
    The Aussie won't offer twice, he offered the once, it should be enough.
    As for the racism, I know some older very nice folk who refer to themselves and others as 'wogs'. There is no ill intention, it's just what they say. Some of the Italians will go so far as to divide them up into Calabrese, Sicilian, Abruzzo etc. it's just their way.
    TV has a lot to answer for, painting pictures with Neighbours and Home & Away. I would dread to think if Ireland was painted like Fair City or back in the day Glenroe.
    Australia is very multicultural and exceptionally so in the major cities. The continent next door is Asia, so inevitably there will a big influx from there. Over the past 2-3 years, more and more Irish are inevitably arriving, you can see it from how busy this part of the forum has become. So it's important to know before you arrive, the money looks weird, the queen is on one side of it. There's a union jack on the flag, that's a pretty good indication of what's in store. We have a state called Victoria, it's not a coincidence. Not that people are swearing allegiance to a Queen etc. when you do your citizenship, you pledge to Australia.
    You can't possibly know if you will like it here, while perusing the web in Ireland.
    It's a mixed bag.
    The vast majority of the population live in cities, Melbourne and Sydney are 4-5million apiece, that's all of Ireland in one city. All of the good and bad in one city.
    If you like Oz, it will generally like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

And as for Mandrake, you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.

Actually Joan I am not ashamed at all, but thanks for proving my point as per my post #90.

If I have upset you in any way I do apologise, but I wont be apologising for adding a bit of balance to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I had done a lot of research on Australia, but a lifetime of Home and Away and Neighbours influence cannot be erased with internet research.
    And during your research, you didn't find out that The Queen was the head of state?
    I find that a bit strange. What does it matter than the queen is on the money.

And being surprised at the english influence. They had to name an awful large place in a hurry. Hence the copy and paste.
    This is the case in america also. New York for one. Dublin for another. It's pretty common to name a newly discovery land in tribute to the home-land.
    Sydney is an urban sprawl and much of the time I've been here I've wondered why, because I would have never lived in Dublin/any other large city. I realise I insinuated I'm leaving Sydney based on the observations I've made, but that was a mistake on my part.
    I'd say your "shock" at sydney, was simply the city element. The same applies to lots of cities.

There are racist people here, but no more or less than in ireland in my experience. It was a bit strange the way you phrased it, complained about racism, then complain about the asians in the same paragraph. I'm not saying, you intended it that way, but thats how it sounded.

Large countries have ethnic communities. San Franciso has the largest China Town outside of China etc. It's not something you experience in a small irish town. Had you lived in dublin, it would of been less of a shock I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭kdevitt

As for the racism, I know some older very nice folk who refer to themselves and others as 'wogs'.

Its a term for central europeans who've settled in Oz - they all refer to themselves as wogs, its not a shortening of golliwog. Was pretty shocked when I heard it first myself!

Getting back to the original topic - I'm married with a young kid, and can not wait to move back to Ireland to be honest. Its not that I hate it here, but the cost of living here is extortionate - and I probably earn more than Enda Kenny if you need to put it into context. I won't match that salary back home, but I will have as much disposable income.

The weather is great - usually, food is decent. I don't find that theres actually much to do here in Sydney though - I'm not a beach lover, and I've zero interest in going out drinking these days.

I'd imagine I'd have a different attitude if I was younger, and single.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Bad things,

The Traffic Cops! I got a $370 fine for speeding yesterday:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Bad things,

The Traffic Cops! I got a $370 fine for speeding yesterday:mad:

Punished for breaking the law? :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Punished for breaking the law? :mad::mad::mad:

I wouldn't have minded a punishment that fit the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I wouldn't have minded a punishment that fit the crime.

Was just messing around, that is a ridiculous sum of money, you should have killed someone while you were at it to get the value out of that ticket!

Mellor wrote: »
    And during your research, you didn't find out that The Queen was the head of state?
    I find that a bit strange. What does it matter than the queen is on the money.

And being surprised at the english influence. They had to name an awful large place in a hurry. Hence the copy and paste.
    This is the case in america also. New York for one. Dublin for another. It's pretty common to name a newly discovery land in tribute to the home-land.

I'd say your "shock" at sydney, was simply the city element. The same applies to lots of cities.

There are racist people here, but no more or less than in ireland in my experience. It was a bit strange the way you phrased it, complained about racism, then complain about the asians in the same paragraph. I'm not saying, you intended it that way, but thats how it sounded.

Large countries have ethnic communities. San Franciso has the largest China Town outside of China etc. It's not something you experience in a small irish town. Had you lived in dublin, it would of been less of a shock I'd bet.

Agreed. Had a lot of pre-conceptions and was more interested in info for backpackers/tourists than the history of Australia, or its modern demographic/sociology. I was here 3 months before I heard about the White Australia policy for Gods sakes!. I'll be the first to admit that I'm naive and un-educated when it comes to history. Spent a lot of time in uni with my head in the books learning about the US (so I'm quite aware of colonialism and multiculturalism of the States) and didn't have the time to look into Australia that much, and hadn't done any travelling before leaving last September.

And no, I hadn't the first clue that the Queen was the head of state! It's appalling on my part. Embarrassing some might say! It doesn't make a blind bit of difference, and it's nice to come somewhere that when the Queen visits, people aren't talking about shooting her! It's just an observation that I made for the OP. Not meant to offend anyone! Maybe I just found it strange given the Irish history of rebellion and its rejection of anything English, as well as American independence etc. I just think its funny that Australia is this huge influential country, in terms of tourism and culture rather than economics and politics, and it still has this poignant connection to the UK.

So a tourist is not allowed to make observations to a prospective tourist if they don't know every single element of a country's history, demographics, sociology, or political/cultural nature? If I ever go to South America I sure as hell don't intend on reading history books as a prerequisite for my trip...! I like making observations from scratch. Makes the world interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I also wondered by it mattered to you that the queen was on the money. Maybe you were just making an observation.

I also don't understand what the irish history of rebellion has got to do with Australia being part of the commonwealth. And I have been fortunate never to meet an Irish person that wanted to shoot the queen. New Zealand is also part of the commonwealth too and all those commonwealth member have unique cultures.

I guess not all Irish people reject all things English because I married an English person.

As for racism, for me it is all the same, an Irish racist is as narrow minded as an Australian one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OF course you can make an observations.
    You are entitled to your opinion. I just found your tone strange, when you expressed the same elements you complained about. Just an observation from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Travellers are an ethnic group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Makes me kind of laugh when Irish people whinge on about Racism in Australia, they seem to forgotten about the Racism at home..... how convenient and embarrassing.

embarrasing for you perhaps , most irish people have enough sense to know that travellers in ireland are thier own worst enemy and in truth are treated with kid gloves , especially by our liberal pc media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well to be honest about 20 years ago some Travellers stole my fathers 6 week old Hiace van, but I wouldn't hold it against every Traveller because in every society there are good & bad.

My opinion is that some Travellers have given the rest a bad rap and to most Irish people they are just "Gypos" "Knackers" & "Tinkers" and because they are in a closed ethnic culture they are easily targeted for discrimination.

It's very much like a mirror image of Indigenous discrimination in parts of Australia.

My point is (having both Irish & Australian Citizenships) that many Irish people on boards are happy enough to point fingers but they loath to have the finger rightfully pointed back.

be carefull not to fall off that very high horse while your rightfully :rolleyes: and piously lecturing us about our shortcomings when it comes to those deeply misunderstood ethnics :rolleyes: who go around doing tarmac and paintjobs for half price

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Being charged $2 (or more) every time you use another bank's ATM. Not a problem at the beginning, then you start to realise it adds up! :(

Don't use another bank's ATM? It's not too hard, walk enough times around a city and you will get to know where your own are.

Thank you for the helpful advice; I will stop using other banks' atms.

I am jumping to the defensive because after my first post earlier I was immediately called a 'racist foreigner' when all I'm trying to do is engage in a discussion, one which has just insulted me and turned into a slagging match between all posters.

I'm glad you never met anyone who mentioned wanting to shoot the queen. I was fortunate enough to have been in Ireland at the time Obama and the queen visited, so I heard a lot of IRA and anti-queen talk.

If posters are just going to nitpick and not actually engage in intelligent conversation, reject everyone else's opinions and just show completely lack of respect then I'm out. Really doesn't reflect on the reputation of this whole site. It's distasteful and downright abusive.

*waiting for the tirade of abuse that will surely come...*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Joan, you actually made my day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

..blah ...blah...blah...
    My suggestion to you would be to read up on some history books and grow a thicker skin. Life will be much more rewarding to you if you do that.

Lol on the home and away reference by the way. Does that mean Ireland should be exactly like Father Ted? Christ, seriously how naive are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Thank you for the helpful advice; I will stop using other banks' atms.

I am jumping to the defensive because after my first post earlier I was immediately called a 'racist foreigner' when all I'm trying to do is engage in a discussion, one which has just insulted me and turned into a slagging match between all posters.

I'm glad you never met anyone who mentioned wanting to shoot the queen. I was fortunate enough to have been in Ireland at the time Obama and the queen visited, so I heard a lot of IRA and anti-queen talk.

If posters are just going to nitpick and not actually engage in intelligent conversation, reject everyone else's opinions and just show completely lack of respect then I'm out. Really doesn't reflect on the reputation of this whole site. It's distasteful and downright abusive.

*waiting for the tirade of abuse that will surely come...*

People will engage you in conversation till the cows come home, but if you are going to act the victim for things and subjects you post about then you might be better off not posting. Nobody here has broken the rules of the forum, they have not personally abused you as the mods are very quick to clamp down on this sort of thing. However, if you are touchy about people disagreeing about your curious and naive observations about Australia then you only have yourself to blame. If you are this touchy in real life you will NOT like Australia! They are blunt, and will call a spade a spade, a pom a pom, a wog a wog, etc. They don't really mean anything by its its just the way it is. Accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Jank, i think it's a wind up. Even if it's not it was very entertaining.

Advertisement