Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything bad to say about Austraila ?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi all .
    I hopefully will be moveing to Australia {western australia} this year , really looking forward to it , i have done a lot of research on WA and the move & working and all the rest . Ive look at threads and google and nobody has a bad word to say about living in Australia ?
    If you have a bad word to say please let us know :eek: .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

teepee wrote: »
    Hi all .
    I hopefully will be moveing to Australia {western australia} this year , really looking forward to it , i have done a lot of research on WA and the move & working and all the rest . Ive look a threads and google and nobody has a bad word to say about living in Australia ?
    If you have a bad word to say please let us know :eek: .

Try the After Hours forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Try the After Hours forum.

I had a look at the after hours forum its full of ranting and raveing my question is a serious one and may high light issue that one might not think of in contemplating a move of this magnitude . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

The distance and time it takes to get back to Ireland. Missing visiting X in hospital, going to Y's funeral or Z's wedding, you kind of get used to it. I try to get home once a year but it's never enough for my folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

5.30pm Saturday and 5pm Sunday Premier League kick offs, as well as European football are a bastard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Not sure about WA
    But NSW is such a nanny state, all weird drinking laws and pointless rules for pubs
    Australian sports journalism is worse than 'The Sun' in England
    There is massive drug problem & organised crime problems
    The political parties - only really two, reminds me of America
    TV - a 90min movie can take 2.5hrs with TV ads
    'Live' sport on free TV is littered with Ads.
    Fruit & Veg cost a lot more compared to home
    Ringing home can be painful (either ring very early or very late)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Xavi6 wrote: »
    5.30pm Saturday and 5pm Sunday Premier League kick offs, as well as European football are a bastard to watch.

This although not necessarily the football for me.

If you like your sport and really support a team at home then it is tough. I was up and awake for 40 hours at the weekend to watch the three 6 Nations games and get to work. Getting Leinster games is very difficult even with my i-setanta subscription ($100 a year, one of my best purchases).

I don't think the word 'bad' is the correct one to use. There are negatives to any country and there are negatives to being so far from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

That's it exactly - it's not 'bad' or 'good' - it's different.

The question is whether or not the things that are different here to wherever your home is, are enough to make living here better than living somewhere else. In my case, things that are better for me here are the weather, the work available to me and the job opportunities I have, the size of the house I can afford to live in and subsequently the number of pets I can afford to keep. That all adds up to a better quality of life for me.

To give you an example of some negatives, I'd been living here two years when my father collapsed and died suddenly. I had no chance whatsoever of getting home to say goodbye before he died in the hospital. Additionally the last conversation we had on the phone we'd disagreed over something and the last thing he said to me was 'Ah, I'll talk to you again.' I had to do the last-minute flight home to get to his funeral and so on.

But I can tell you this much - that set of circumstances could happen to anyone, regardless of where they were living. It happened the way it happened, and I can't change it, and you know it doesn't bother me. That's just life. You live it, and get on with it, whether you're living 12,000 miles away or just around the corner.

Fact is, my life is better here in Australia than it was in either Ireland or the UK, but that's because of what I've made of my life, not because it's been handed to me on a platter on arrival at the airport in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Lets see, bad things about australia.. It get's stinking hot (It also gets baltic in SA!). Bad crisps, terrible road signage, poor choice of biscuits, rubbish beer. The TV ads are ridiculous, and australians have no imagination when it comes to furniture and other useful household items.

but when you look at those things, they're just trivial annoyances to someone who's used to something else. They're pretty much the only bad things i have to say.. Tv is not funded in australia the same way it is back home. And there seems (to me at least) to be a greater deal of channels and show variety here, despite all the advertisements.
    Australian beer isn't great, but you get used to it, and you can buy good german beer. Other comfort items can be imported, and most homes, public transport, shops, etc. have air conditioning. When you emigrate, you make a choice that you know means you cannot visit x, y and z, be it their wedding or funeral. But that's a choice you make, not something you can say is bad about australia, just a negative about being so far away from home. The nanny state thing does tend to get on my nerves a bit too.

There are the positives of living here, if you're looking for what it's like to live here.. The weather is better than ireland for a start. If you have an irish driving license, you can drive here. You'll need the car unless you live in the city center, because urban sprawl is a way of life. Cost of living is relatively higher. Depending on your industry, you'll likely get paid more than in ireland. Depending on your industry, you can get a job! You can live near a beach. I live in the best little flat that's 10 mins on the bus to work, and 5 mins by car to the beach. It doesn't rain as much. If you have relatives you don't like, you never have to see them. There's good free to air digital tv (despite the ads). If you're big into sports, there's lots of it here.

You could spend all day pointing out good and bad things about any place.. My life in ireland was good. My life here is also good.
    I'd been living here two years when my father collapsed and died suddenly. I had no chance whatsoever of getting home to say goodbye before he died in the hospital. Additionally the last conversation we had on the phone we'd disagreed over something and the last thing he said to me was 'Ah, I'll talk to you again.' I had to do the last-minute flight home to get to his funeral and so on.

frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Only three big things for me really.

You can get badly burnt on a cloudy day here which sucks and if you forget your factor 30 on a sunny one God help you.
    The other ones are the distance and time it takes to get home to Ireland and missing friends and family.
    To give you an example of some negatives, I'd been living here two years when my father collapsed and died suddenly. I had no chance whatsoever of getting home to say goodbye before he died in the hospital. Additionally the last conversation we had on the phone we'd disagreed over something and the last thing he said to me was 'Ah, I'll talk to you again.' I had to do the last-minute flight home to get to his funeral and so on.

This is one of my biggest fears and why I panic if I hear anyone is sick back home or get pissed off if they dont tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Doc wrote: »

This is one of my biggest fears and why I panic if I hear anyone is sick back home or get pissed off if they dont tell me.

+1. The distance is killer when something like that happens at home.

We were settled in Oz back in '09, were having a ball and were due to move into a beautiful house with ocean view down in Port Fairy on a Monday, got a call from home that gf's dad had cancer Saturday morning and were back in Ireland on Tursday. Was an awful shock to system but gf wouldn't have been able to enjoy life here knowing what was happening at home.
    4 days before we were due to return to Oz last year my dad was diagnosed with cancer as well. He convinced me to leave but I was constantly worried and felt guilty 24/7 for months, I was particularly annoyed that family weren't keeping me informed as they "didnt want to worry me".

Thankfully both of them are fine now and as you you settle into life here you just suck it up and get on with it. No point trying to recreate Ireland here, just embrace what's different and good about Oz!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Everywhere has it’s negatives, and while Australia is a great country, there are a few negatives:

1) The macho culture, and blokes walking around in tank tops everywhere!
    2) The asshole bouncers
    3) Lack of culture and history
    4) Having to worry about skin cancer
    5) The cost of living
    6) The sports coverage. It is nothing on back home. I miss Dunphy and the lads!
    7) Lack of sense of humour that you get in Ireland and the UK
    8) The price of flights to other parts of Australia, and in particular to get out of the country.
    9) Once you have travelled Australia extensively, there really isn’t a lot to see nearby, with the exception of NZ and the pacific islands, which cost a fair bit to get to. We take for granted the fact we have Europe on our door step.
    10) All the ads as has been mentioned
    11) Australian blokes. Have met a lot of assh*les, which fits in with point 1 above. Interestingly enough, most of the Australian women I have met have been fine. Don’t know why Aussie guys can be such pr1ck. I realise that I am generalising a bit.
    12) Being faraway from the centre of the sporting world. Most stuff that I follow takes place in Europe. The time difference is a killer. I follow a lot of sport and I just cant stay up late for every Ireland, Leinster, Munster etc match, so I have lost touch with many sports from back home. Then there is the distance of travelling to go to sporting events. I’m a big follower of Irish athletics and went to support the team at the world’s in Korea last year. A long flight from Australia, but not nearly as long as when the championships are in Europe. I know I won’t be able to do that often if I stay down here, and that is tough to come to terms with.

Most of all though is the fact I am so far away from family and friends, and the things about Ireland that I love (as I look through rose tinted glasses and forget all the crap that had me running out of the place in the first place haha). I’ve recently met an Australian girl. Early days yet, but it got me thinking that if it works out (or something like this was to work out with any Australian) I could potentially be here for a long time, and I don’t think I want to live so far away from family for such a long time. Grand for a few years, but long term it could be tough becoming detatched from your previous life back home and your family, especially as they get older.

But if you asked me to write a list of things I love about Australia, it would be about 10 times longer. I love this country, for the most part. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

04072511 wrote: »
    LIST

Some them I agree with.
    Some I think are a bit wierd.
    And some of them are negetives of being far away from home, price of flights, awkward time for irish/european events etc, and not a negetive of australia itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I can only cite differences really.

Although it can get restrictively hot in WA it still trumps Ireland by a loooooooong shot. Just watch the UV index. index.http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/realtime/per_rt.htm

Beer is crap and expensive, "best served ice cold" means that your taste buds need to be numbed to enjoy it. However if you like your vino you'll be spoiled, great variety and quality in WA and can be a lot cheaper than beer.

Shop closing times in Perth! Most places close at 5. Thankfully they're in the process of extending trading hours. My wife moans about the ladies fashions for office wear and has vowed to load up on her next visit to the old bog.

Oz is far away but I knew that and my attitude is like many here, work hard for a few years, build up time off and cash and then make that holiday a big one.

Furniture! grrrrrrrrrr. All I can say is thank you Sweden for Ikea. The price of furniture here is stupid, it all feels very Ireland 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Mellor wrote: »
    Some them I agree with.
    Some I think are a bit wierd.
    And some of them are negetives of being far away from home, price of flights, awkward time for irish/european events etc, and not a negetive of australia itself

Well it is a negative of Australia, as Australia IS a long way away from home. If you lived in UK, Europe, East Coast USA you would not have this problem. So it is a negative of Australia, just like it would be a negative of living in Argentina, Japan, New Zealand, Hawaii etc

Well it is a negative of Australia, as Australia IS a long way away from home. If you lived in UK, Europe, East Coast USA you would not have this problem. So it is a negative of Australia, just like it would be a negative of living in Argentina, Japan, New Zealand, Hawaii etc
    Look, its a big deal for you thats fine.
    I don't watch much soccer anymore due to the timezone, but still amke the effort for the championshiop. I watch MMA a lot more, and the timezone in australia is actually a lot better than Ireland.

Look at it this way, if an american complained that one of the biggest negativies of ireland was that he didn't get to watch the NFL or NBA. I wouldn't pay much attention.

Basically, I'm just separating the difference between the negaties of livign far away and the negatives of australia as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Regarding beer, the generic muck like VB and Carlton is pure dishwater but some of the craft beers here are fantastic. My local serves an average of 70-80 different craft beers from around Victoria (9-10 on tap) and many of them are really, really good. Even in supermarkets you can get specials on stuff like White Rabbit or James Squire, so it costs $10ish more than a box of VB but is on another planet taste wise.

I do miss Guiness but if you drink Heineken/Budweiser back home you should be able to get a better alternative here easily enough....

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Regarding beer, the generic muck like VB and Carlton is pure dishwater but some of the craft beers here are fantastic.

I do miss Guiness but if you drink Heineken/Budweiser back home you should be able to get a better alternative here easily enough....

I think it really depends on what you drink, and whats availible.
    i think VB and Carlton Draught are terrible. All the mainstream beers in that style are muck. Boags is dire etc.

But I think pale beers are be good. Carlton Dry is a pretty god option for a Heinekin drinker.
    If you a diehard Guiness drinker, its unlucky. I don't fancy the thoughts of a local stout on a hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Time difference - hate when my mother rings and it's late friday evening here and I've have a fair few beers! :o

As is in many posts already, the distance thing especially if someone is sick at home.

The price of used cars! :eek:

Sexism and homophobia... but I am out in a small country town. It wasn't so obvious in Perth.

Can't get a decent newspaper Like the Irish Times or in the UK, The Independent at the weekend (the only time I would buy one at home). I know they're all online but it's not the same.

No Pennys, H&M, Zara...etc. Not much internet shopping either.

The standard of English. I don't think I'm a grammer or syntax snob but sometimes what I hear on the TV or radio, even the ABC has me head wrecked!!! Sentences that are just plain wrong giving a completely wrong implication. You have to juggle it around to get the proper meaning Wish I could remember a few examples, will come back edit with some if I think of them!! :D

Actually I love the crumby tv ads! Has anyone seen the one for Moylan's Silos?? They have a person in a monkey suit waving at you from behind a silo!!
    Why, like?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Mellor wrote: »
    I think it really depends on what you drink, and whats availible.
    i think VB and Carlton Draught are terrible. All the mainstream beers in that style are muck. Boags is dire etc.

But I think pale beers are be good. Carlton Dry is a pretty god option for a Heinekin drinker.
    If you a diehard Guiness drinker, its unlucky. I don't fancy the thoughts of a local stout on a hot day.

I like Carlton Dry but it gives me a terrible headache. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

sudzs wrote: »
    No Pennys, H&M, Zara...etc. Not much internet shopping either.
    I'm pretty sure Zara is in aus. And Target is like the b@stard child of H&M, Pennys, Dunnes Stores Home and Smyths toys!!

Back on the aussie beer thing, I still reckon most of them are bollocks. Sure there's lots of boutique / craft beers, but i ain't paying $20 every time to find out how good or bad a 6 pack is. That game has already wasted too much money that would've been better spent on a pack of Budvar. Jackbhoy, give us your top Aussie craft beer!

• Advertisement

Sexism and homophobia... but I am out in a small country town. It wasn't so obvious in Perth
    Surprised at that, compared to ireland. I can't realte personally, but I wouldn't have thought Ireland was very open to those things.
    As Sydney, from what i've seen, is pretty open about that sort of stuff. But i'm only going on what you see on a night out.
    It's prob a small town in WA thing.
    The standard of English. I don't think I'm a grammer or syntax snob but sometimes what I hear on the TV or radio, even the ABC has me head wrecked!!! Sentences that are just plain wrong giving a completely wrong implication. You have to juggle it around to get the proper meaning Wish I could remember a few examples, will come back edit with some if I think of them!! :D
    I notice that oen too.
    But I more laugh and think, 'jesus, they'e idiots", than get bothered by it.
    I like Carlton Dry but it gives me a terrible headache. :(
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

One thing i hate is getting the bus in sydney. standard of driving is appalling, the basics of stopping and starting must never be taught! Twice iv seen people fall over from jerking stop/starts.
    thats my little rant over (as i get flung all over the place on the 339)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

I have only experienced WA so far but the worst thing about it for me is the racism and sexism. It's shocking how acceptable it is here to be racist and no one bats an eyelid!

Another thing is the expense of almost everything, especially fresh food, used cars and rent/property. On the subject of food, I find the quality is a lot lower here than at home and in my local supermarket there is very little choice.

A couple of other minor things. Watching and playing sports: I loved watching the rugby and soccer at home, I can't stand the Aussie TV so I didn't buy one. I haven't watched TV in over a year. I was a lot more active at home as well, the heat in the summer here is too much for me, maybe I'll get used to it eventually. I can't afford the gym either!

I could probably harp on but most people have said what I was going to say already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

hussey wrote: »
    The political parties - only really two, reminds me of America Ireland

Fixed two points for you. but i agree with them anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

hussey wrote: »
    Not sure about WA
    But NSW is such a nanny state, all weird drinking laws and pointless rules for pubs

I would take barely enforced RSA rules over 2:30am closing times back home any day. In practice it is very rare for the RSA rules to be enforced by staff/ bouncers except in places already on thin ice for trouble.
    There is massive drug problem & organised crime problems

The amount of mentally ill people on the streets is even worse being honest. The journalism is pathetic granted. ACA and Today Tonight make the Sunday Indo look like a legitimate news source.

)[/QUOTE]

5) The cost of living

Can never understand this one. If you shop around this country is ridicilously cheap compared to Ireland in the boom years, you just have to know where to look. Especially considering the mad money you can make in this country for unskilled work. The only reason Im not loaded is 24 hour drinking :pac:

Quality of take away food here is one major gripe. It is pretty tasteless compared to home. Also, being honest, most Australian tap beer is just drinkable at best. Despite the fact nowhere sells it on tap Fosters is probably the nicest Aussie tap beer Ive had- in fact I dont think I have actually ever drank Fosters in Oz. Heineken is nearly the only commonly available foreign tap beer, and unless its on promo its a bit expensive. I dont drink any Aussie bottle- o beer these days, quite a few European imports that you can get a slab of for 30 odd quid these days, much cheaper and way nicer.

Also, schooner drinking is gay, end of discussion ;) Stuff the "it gets too hot too fast" rule, just something so much more refreshing about grabbing an ice cold pint glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Also, being honest, most Australian tap beer is just drinkable at best. Despite the fact nowhere sells it on tap Fosters is probably the nicest Aussie tap beer Ive had- in fact I dont think I have actually ever drank Fosters in Oz.
    Fosters in Europe is brewed by Heinken( I think, or else carlsberg) and tastes much nicer than the fosters in Australia
    You hear a lot of Aussies say they'd never touch the stuff here, but happy drink in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Tooheys New is okay once you've acquired a bit of a taste for it, VB and the rest are pi$$ and are just headache makers.
    I'm back home at the moment and the place is driving me feckin mad, the hospitals are screwed, public transport is still a joke, everyone is sh1ttin bricks about their pension, the politicians are still busy making a total hames of it, the ones that got away with daylight robbery still haven't been strung up (although Bertie did get brained in Fagans last week, good on ya whoever you are) and nobody in the civil service can be ar$ed to pull their finger out and do their job properly. The biddies are still biddies, the nosy neighbours are still gossiping about everyone in the local shop, the weather is still sh!te and the only one that seems to be enjoying it is Joe Fecking Duffy !

Can't wait to get back to AUS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can never understand this one. If you shop around this country is ridicilously cheap compared to Ireland in the boom years, you just have to know where to look. Especially considering the mad money you can make in this country for unskilled work. The only reason Im not loaded is 24 hour drinking :pac:.

This is a bit of an oxymoran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Something which is endemic over here is 'employers' stinging people doing cash in hand work. In my first month here I got stung for a weeks wages - a result of my own naivety in not demanding cash-in-hand at the end of every day, but then the more I spoke to Irish people, I realised I was far from the only one, I was only done for 700 but heard of people done for nearly 2,000. Mental stuff, there's no shortage of scummy ***** over here who love to take advantage of people on the WHV who are working for cash in hand.

• Advertisement

Despite the fact nowhere sells it on tap Fosters is probably the nicest Aussie tap beer Ive had- in fact I dont think I have actually ever drank Fosters in Oz.
    Fosters is an Aussie company. But the beer is made locally under rights.
    In europe, as mention, its made by Heinekin.

It used to be a premium beer in Oz, but its image changed and its rarelt sold here now as Carlton (the brewers) focus on other beers. you can't get it on tap anymore. I've never had the australian version of fosters. I wouldn't mind trying ti as I drink Carlton dry by default, would liek to see how fosters holds up as its the same company, and similar style.

Advertisement