Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

There's http://www.meetup.com/

Have you tried that?

Checking it out now and it looks promising. Thanks!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    kingtut wrote: »
    I see it like that, after all it is called a dating site for a reason... if someone wants to make friends the last place they should look is a dating site!!

But I don't know of any other such sites that cater to people looking solely to meet people with similar interests to hang out with- dating sites are convenient that way.

None exist :( at least not for 1 to 1 hanging out. However.... Group meetups are a different matter, check out meetup.com.

If you live around Dublin, new and not so new in dublin are good.
    Pm me for details, I don't think chatting about non dating is really for the online dating thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Meetup is fantastic, i've made tons of friends and done interesting stuff. Spent a few hours kayaking around Wellington harbour in the Sun last night with 8 other people i'd never met before, great way to meet new people especially if you're in a new country.

I've joined an NZ dating site recently as became single in October. Had a few dates with a nice girl but she's way too busy to progress things much further so i'm just sending smiles out and messaging a few people. Having an Irish accent down here defo seems to improve my chances :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KateMiddleton

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    But I don't know of any other such sites that cater to people looking solely to meet people with similar interests to hang out with- dating sites are convenient that way.

I think someone mentioned before that couchsurfing is really good for that. There are lots of people new to an area looking to make friends and they arrange a fair few social outings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

pclancy wrote: »
    Meetup is fantastic, i've made tons of friends and done interesting stuff. Spent a few hours kayaking around Wellington harbour in the Sun last night with 8 other people i'd never met before, great way to meet new people especially if you're in a new country.

Im on meetup here. Only been on one night out though - they were all really lovely but havent plucked up the courage to go to another one. Bit daunting going to something by yourself. Didnt know there was a boards beers - but again going by yourself! :eek:

I do have a date brewing though - whether it comes off or not is a different story! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Dovies wrote: »
    Im on meetup here. Only been on one night out though - they were all really lovely but havent plucked up the courage to go to another one. Bit daunting going to something by yourself. Didn't know there was a boards beers - but again going by yourself! :eek:

I do have a date brewing though - whether it comes off or not is a different story! :rolleyes:

Boards Beers are not that daunting going by yourself as you normally recognise a name or two from the forums so there is some sense of shared experience to make things easier.

If people are still nervous they can always ask to meet up with someone before hand and show up to the beers with that person to make it past the initial wandering up to strangers in a pub and asking are they from the internet.

Boards beers are always great fun with a nice mixture of all sorts, well worth going to, especially if Drav starts dancing.

Maguined wrote: »
    Boards beers are always great fun with a nice mixture of all sorts, well worth going to, especially if Drav starts dancing.

Hmm wheres the info kept? Signup etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Boards beers are always great fun with a nice mixture of all sorts, well worth going to, especially when Drav starts dancing.

FYP :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's a thread stickied here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

No signup, just show up.

There is a sticky thread on top of the forum with all the info and pre-beers banter build up. It's not for ages yet but I heartily recommend looking into it and coming along.

• Advertisement

No signup, just show up.

There is a sticky thread on top of the forum with all the info and pre-beers banter build up. It's not for ages yet but I heartily recommend looking into it and coming along.

Just posted a message on the sticky so see how it goes! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well you need to know the secret hand shake though, we won't talk to you without it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

Im on meetup here. Only been on one night out though - they were all really lovely but havent plucked up the courage to go to another one. Bit daunting going to something by yourself. Didnt know there was a boards beers - but again going by yourself! :eek:

I joined meetup there as a new years resolution to get out there and expand the social circle. The number of events was impressive but there is no forum to get to chat to people and get to know people on site. the thoughts of walking around a pub asking them are they from meetup.com would be quite embarrassing which put me right off.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Well you need to know the secret hand shake though, we won't talk to you without it :D

Hmm - what if I just have my left nip showing? :rolleyes:

Hmm - what if I just have my left nip showing? :rolleyes:

Yep, that'll work :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

To avoid Otis having to come in here, wearing his stern look and mod hat to point out that non dating discussion does not belong in the online dating thread, I've opened a new thread here for just this purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah feck sake, date that was rescheduled for this eve after being cancelled last week is just after cancelling again:mad:
    Even though his reason sounds valid, to be honest, i really dont know if id be willing to give a 3rd chance, what do you think?

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

awec wrote: »
    You think he's getting cold feet?

Dont think so, his reasons for not meeting up if valid are quite serious, but i just cant help feeling bit strange that both times we have made arrangements that this has come up.

andreac wrote: »
    Ah feck sake, date that was rescheduled for this eve after being cancelled last week is just after cancelling again:mad:
    Even though his reason sounds valid, to be honest, i really dont know if id be willing to give a 3rd chance, what do you think?

I had a woman do that to me coming up to christmas, then went on a date christmas eve. Then she proceeded to mess around and tell me she's busy all the time over the following week and a half.

Get to the point I say :mad:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

andreac wrote: »
    Dont think so, his reasons for not meeting up if valid are quite serious, but i just cant help feeling bit strange that both times we have made arrangements that this has come up.

While these things do happen I would be a bit wary.

I think if he has suggested a date to meet up again in the near future that is positive. If he's being a bit vague, I'd worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

recently got a message on POF asking what my bank balance was. how romantic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I think I have a date brewing.

And confirmed for Saturday. This will be the sum total of the fourth date I have been on in the last 9 years. Haha.

:D

Rastapitts wrote: »
    recently got a message on POF asking what my bank balance was. how romantic!

Ha. Charming!

Good luck Wobblyknees. :) (unrelated: Will you be attending the beers in Feb? Be funny introducing yourself to people ! :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Larianne wrote: »
    Ha. Charming!

Good luck Wobblyknees. :) (unrelated: Will you be attending the beers in Feb? Be funny introducing yourself to people ! :pac: )

What are you trying to say? Something wrong with my username? :mad:

Me: Hello I'm wobblyknees
    Boards member: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

And repeat?

When is it exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

And confirmed for Saturday. This will be the sum total of the fourth date I have been on in the last 9 years. Haha.

Just dont show them naked pictures of your ex on your phone and you willl be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement