Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Forgot about modding old Xboxes, raspberry pi is the future :) Looking forward to getting my hands on a few.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I'm pretty excited about this myself.It looks like a brilliant little thing to mess around with. I just hope no ones expecting any miracles when it comes to emulators though ps1 or n64 would require an awful lot of optimisation to run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Maybe I'm missing something here but what does this do that the Xbox component cable doesn't do. Genuine question and I'm not been a bitch :o

I run my xbox over component and it supports 720p and 1080.

Also raspberry pi is looking interesting, been following it for a little while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Interesting
    Will XBMC run at 720p with this mod?

it will, it will also playback pretty much anything through a transcoding media server like tversity or ps3mediaserver in 720p, the xbox itself can only handle 1 or 2 720p formats but since the servers processor does the work everything streams in an xbox friendly format.
    Steve SI wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something here but what does this do that the Xbox component cable doesn't do. Genuine question and I'm not been a bitch :o

I run my xbox over component and it supports 720p and 1080.

Also raspberry pi is looking interesting, been following it for a little while now.

em nothing much, id just rather not buy a component cable, that ill probabaly lose anyway,and i get impatient waiting for the postman. same reason people do this on most retro consoles.I also got bored. and its easier switching between component devices this way.
    Forgot about modding old Xboxes, raspberry pi is the future :) Looking forward to getting my hands on a few.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

HOLY FCKING ****BALLS i did not realise that thing would run xbmc let decode 1080p without any stuttering, definitely want one now, i wonder how limited it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

one of the lads sent me a photo on FB of his friend's new tattoo
    398488_10150640869766209_521736208_11116291_916514756_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nuxxx wrote: »
    Got the retro itch again and noticed I'm missing a Mortal game for my snes collection, so opinions on the best one to get? I think I remember 2 being the best one but I'm not sure :)

Super Street Fighter 2. Mortal Kombat is gash but if you must 2 is playable which is more than can be said about the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sera wrote: »
    one of the lads sent me a photo on FB of his friend's new tattoo
    398488_10150640869766209_521736208_11116291_916514756_n.jpg

Atavans wins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to wonder how well that tatt is going to age.
    Y'all aren't going to stay young forever!
    I guess he/she can have the colour topped up every decade or so, keep it nice and bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I guess he/she can have the colour topped up every decade or so, keep it nice and bright.

Nothing ages well. Not in A&R anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

This app is free. Got it last night, deadly game! (iCade compatible too by the way).

http://xionchannel.no-ip.org/hm/

Even has scanlines!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Of course tattoos will fade over years but like you say a touch up and it's fine. Plus keeping it out of the sun helps too.

Pfft, I'll always be young. At least among you lot :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nothing ages well. Not in A&R anyway except Ciderman, our beloved mod

I just did a little minor editing, I know you meant to mention it but forgot so I figured I'd save you the trouble and stuff... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Square Enix have joined GoG. Dues Ex and Hitman are on the store. Hope there's more Eidos games. It also means we could see Thief 1 and 2 on the store as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I got to play Mindball this morning.

You have to use your brainwaves to move a ball into your opponents goal. Looks like this:

VImage000.jpg

Was a lot of fun... very hard not to crack up laughing.

You sure you use your mind though? I know another computer, think the VCS had a 'mind control' device but all it measured was the muscles straining around your head. It's very easy to fake. Anyway I'm interested if a bit scpetical.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You sure you use your mind though? I know another computer, think the VCS had a 'mind control' device but all it measured was the muscles straining around your head. It's very easy to fake. Anyway I'm interested if a bit scpetical.

Atari mind link? I would post a link but I'm on my phone.

Was a basic level EEG. Just 3 diodes on the thing.

Straining would make you lose very fast as the object is to calm your brain activity in order to move the ball. Would like to see it swapped though and see how excited you could get to move the thing.

I kept telling the girl I was playing against to think about christmas to ruin her chances of keeping her brain waves under control. Was at the Dublin City of Science launch.

Sounds like a good bit of fun :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DinoRex wrote: »
    Was a basic level EEG. Just 3 diodes on the thing.

Straining would make you lose very fast as the object is to calm your brain activity in order to move the ball. Would like to see it swapped though and see how excited you could get to move the thing.

I kept telling the girl I was playing against to think about christmas to ruin her chances of keeping her brain waves under control. Was at the Dublin City of Science launch.
    That plus the eye tracking thing I heard about before could give us some interesting arcade games....

I was hoping to make the other persons head explode like in the movie Scanners but I'm not good enough yet.

And speaking of things that will make your head explode here's the box art for Mario Party 9:

HLdNU.jpg

Clearly the phrase 'tone it down' doesn't exist in the Nintendo offices.

I actually cant look directly at that cover......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,639 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never has this been more apt

50512_120203711347260_7764128_n.jpg

Can you look at it long enough to spot everyone's second favourite Mario brother?

Up in the tower like the poor reject he is

Even Wa-feckin-luigi gets more screen space.

...okay...

10rAq.jpg

Someone in the Ninty design offices was hitting the hallucinogenics early!
    Mother of gods its as garish as it comes!

I think they may have had to invent a few new colours for that box.

There's definitely a tint of Octarine in there alright.

It would make an excellent jigsaw puzzle though, a big one with a 1000 pieces!

I could be onto something there!

Aha!
    Now, just get onto these people and send them a high resolution pic of the game cover and off you go!
    Might just give it a try, see how it works out....

Could be like a real-life version of the 3DS Streetpass puzzle game!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭Steve X2

There's definitely a tint of Octarine in there alright.

It would make an excellent jigsaw puzzle though, a big one with a 1000 pieces!

I could be onto something there!

Aha!
    Now, just get onto these people and send them a high resolution pic of the game cover and off you go!
    Might just give it a try, see how it works out....

Could be like a real-life version of the 3DS Streetpass puzzle game!

jigsaw5d4676fd6542da1295432778d6e44aa8dbe18930.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Don't suppose anyone knows if there's any decent retro or charity shops in Galway city? Or any decent arcades for that matter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement