Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

waveform wrote: »
    Definitely a refreshing break from all the heavily scripted AVGN style reviews out there.

The thing I find re AVGN, is that there's just the right amount of scripting, so the commentary is not tiresome to listen to, mixed with the right amount of humour.

Generally I find unscripted reviews rely too heavily on stupid humour, & become quite tiresome to listen to. More commonly it's american-type blogger humour that's overdone.

AVGN's success in my eyes is the intelligence behind what he's doing, it's interesting, it's paced beautifully, the humour is relevant, the editing is brilliant & the production is very professional. Even not in character, as himself in James Rolfe video's, he has a very very nice balance/tradeoff between scripting & humour. For example

The editing, & production work for that simple video alone is brilliant

Pyongyang wrote: »
    They are? :confused:

Never actually bought anything there (I don't think).

Yep. Don't worry, I just needed a victim from the mainland to make the pic relevant :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

I just find his constant ranting a bit tiresome, and it seems too put on.

Then again, I haven't watched a whole bunch of his videos because I just wasn't into that style.

In terms of production, professionalism, and editing I am constantly drawn to Mark Bussler of Classic Game Room.

I really dig his style and personality.

And even though some of his reviews are not in depth and very humour focussed,
    I still enjoy each one immensely.

I think he is extremely talented in terms of presentation, if not one of the best out there in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep. Don't worry, I just needed a victim from the mainland to make the pic relevant :p

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That Turtles Tunes looks absolutely fcuking terrifying

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    I just find his constant ranting a bit tiresome, and it seems too put on.

That's the AVGN character though, but fair dues each to their own. Don't let his one character put you off his other work though, he has some excellent stuff. Check out The Dragon In My Dreams

That Turtles Tunes looks absolutely fcuking terrifying

"Retr0 loves to skateboard round the fountain, all the live-long day" :D

It horrific isn't it

The first film is amazing though. Even today. I remember when that movie was first released.

Back in those days staggered launch dates were even wider than they are today. Loads of kids from school would come back from summer holidays (usually Malta, Turkey or Lanzagrotty) with a couple of pirate VHS tapes they scored.

Those dodgy camcorder or screener tapes were our gateway to seeing the blockbusters before the other kids.

One lad brought a tape from Malta that had a passable camcorder bootleg of the TMNT movie. He was the most popular kid in school for weeks, that tape done the rounds more than the girl everyone has (no pun intended) in their school that would give you a five knuckle shuffle for 50p and a can of Quattro at the back of the playing field.

Ah school days.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I adored Turtles as a kid - still have a box of the toys upstairs. But I recently caught the tail end of the second sequel where they go to feudal Japan for some reason (no giant enemy crabs, alas).

Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Went to an all boys school myself :(

• Advertisement

Unrelated note, FIFA and UEFA just got hacked, all personal info just got pasted online. Might have to give Platini a call... :p

Looks like Anonymous have officially announced #OpIreland on Twitter. Prepare for stormy seas... :eek:

https://twitter.com/#!/YourAnonNews/status/161919550785470464

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The thing I find re AVGN, is that there's just the right amount of scripting, so the commentary is not tiresome to listen to, mixed with the right amount of humour.

Generally I find unscripted reviews rely too heavily on stupid humour, & become quite tiresome to listen to. More commonly it's american-type blogger humour that's overdone.

AVGN's success in my eyes is the intelligence behind what he's doing, it's interesting, it's paced beautifully, the humour is relevant, the editing is brilliant & the production is very professional. Even not in character, as himself in James Rolfe video's, he has a very very nice balance/tradeoff between scripting & humour. For example

I think he must've been aware how stagnant his formula was becoming, and gladly took something of a break from AVGN last year to focus on his movie. The few ones he did last year were up there with the earlier stuff in terms of consistent, considered funny stuff.

I adored Turtles as a kid - still have a box of the toys upstairs. But I recently caught the tail end of the second sequel where they go to feudal Japan for some reason (no giant enemy crabs, alas).

Not good.

They also tried to make a television series out of live-action version, I know this only because they did a crossover with one of the later Power Ranger team, and Linkara covered it in his History of the Power Rangers series.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jesus that Turtles: Next Mutation show was horiffic. Girl turtle with magic powers....no.....no
    On another note, how have I never heard of this Code Monkeys cartoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Hope it's better than 8 which I found incredibly dull. And how crazy was it that 8 wasn't in widescreen?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I think he must've been aware how stagnant his formula was becoming, and gladly took something of a break from AVGN last year to focus on his movie. The few ones he did last year were up there with the earlier stuff in terms of consistent, considered funny stuff.

He stated publicly he's focusing on the movie, which leaves time for little else. He's in Cal-if-Or-nIa at the moment to begin pre-production & shooting. That's also being documented in small blog type videos. Here's one such vid - http://cinemassacre.com/2012/01/13/nerd-log-packing-stuff/

Regards AVGN becoming stagnant, I think it's the nature of the beast. He was prepared to kill off the character years ago he said in one of his out of character videos, but it became such a cult phenomenon he kept it running. I get the feeling he's quite conscious of the dangers of overcooking the show, as when you listen to him talking normally, he seems to have been studying film a long time & knows his stuff.

There's also Board James, where himself & Mofo Mike play vintage & often cool board games [yes, such a thing exists] & while it's more or less Rolfe being himself, it's a great little show. Check out Fireball Island

There's tons of non-avgn stuff on his site Cinemassacre so never let the AVGN character put you off what other stuff he does. People seem to think that Rolfe IS Avgn, when he's only one character.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this movie heralds the end of the AVGN character for the foreseeable future

Neo Geo Pocket is being re-released! Check out the awesome AES styling!

http://www.edge-online.com/news/neo-geo-pocket-reborn

I'm sold. Buying one day one.

Neo Geo Pocket is being re-released! Check out the awesome AES styling!

http://www.edge-online.com/news/neo-geo-pocket-reborn

I'm sold. Buying one day one.

Ah it's like one of these Megadrive things with twenty groundbreaking games already on it - BUT, it has SD support. So it's :(....:cool: situation

Yes, but it's SNK licensed and actually looks like decent build quality rather than that cheap, plastic Blaze guff.

The AES styling won me over. Says to me that proper care has been taken over this device build and styling rather than a slapdash approach.

Definitely getting one. The 20 games bundled in are worth the asking price alone for portable Neo Geo action. Backlit screen too, what more do ye need?

I'll still keep my original NTSC-J console though because it's great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,451 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I cant stand those multi game Megadrive yolks either, but that Neo Geo thing looks absolutely gorgeous!

I wouldn't say it's AES styled though? It has the Neo Geo AES logo, that's about it though!

I wonder what it'll retail at?

Yes, but it's SNK licensed

Surely those Megadrive things are SEGA licensed too?

The backlit screen for the NGP is the big seller here though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yes, but it's SNK licensed and actually looks like decent build quality rather than that cheap, plastic Blaze guff.

The AES styling won me over. Says to me that proper care has been taken over this device build and styling rather than a slapdash approach.

Definitely getting one. The 20 games bundled in are worth the asking price alone for portable Neo Geo action. Backlit screen too, what more do ye need?

I'll still keep my original NTSC-J console though because it's great. :)

Hmmmm...

homersimpsonpicture.gif

Bit too early to get excited me thinks. It looks too similar to a poxy iPhone for my liking. In-built games rings alarm bells for me. Can new games be added I wonder. My sit-on-the-fence mood shall balance your exuberance. :pac:

It's got an SD slot. I reckon we're all set. To be honest, the 20 games built in are excellent enough even if you can't dump roms on to it.

The design is slightly larger than an iPhone 4 apparently. I like it. The styling looks great, features are great. So long as the display and sound are great it's win/win all the way I think.

See what the price is though I guess. Anything under $50 is screaming out to be purchased.

"I'm going on a march....."

Damn you, damn you to hell

Surely those Megadrive things are SEGA licensed too?

The backlit screen for the NGP is the big seller here though

The Blaze ones are, I think, but there's stacks of knock offs and garbage out there that isn't. What I meant by my comment is that this is made under license so, knocking the Blaze a bit, at least the SNK licensed device(s) should be good. I think what I said makes sense, if not I hope you see what I was trying to say... :confused::p

Indeed, the backlight is the champion. How hard can it be, really, to emulate NGP games on a portable? That said, Last Resort was never a NGP game as far as I know.

Means this thing is not an NGP part deux, but actually a portable AES? Or both?

Still. Day 1 purchase regardless. I'm off to go drool over that AES styling some more... :D

Master of the Universe

Anything under $50 is screaming out to be purchased.

It's a Neo Geo product made by SNK.

You can probably multiply the above estimation x 10!

The Edge article blows, here's a much better article, with more photos. :)

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/25/a-neo-geo-for-your-pocket/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Looks nice, wish it wasnt as Iphoney though. Still though if it has a yummy screen and SD support I think we all know where this little device is headed.

Looks nice, wish it wasnt as Iphoney though. Still though if it has a yummy screen and SD support I think we all know where this little device is headed.

Retr0's mothers confiscation cupboard?

Definitely gonna do this this year

DSCN3175.jpg

Edit - Actually, Steve SI's forthcoming 3D printer...I wonder how well it could fabricate a Neptune case if we got the specs/dimensions?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

:eek:

Sega Neptune project?

I think I remember reading they can run hot. So something to watch out for (Unless I completely made that up)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement