Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

koth wrote: »
    Benny with the Magic Hat has said that gay marriage is a threat to the future of humanity.
    Says the allegedly sexless man in a while dress lecturing a bunch of allegedly sexless men in black dresses.

Otherwise? Benny. Well:

benny-hill-copy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pope in saying something retarded shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

3521o8.jpg

^^I was quite tempted to slip a T into the word 'immoral'....

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16443556
    Article which makes for sorry reading about the state of Pakistan.
    Some selective quotes for those on mobiles.

In January 2011, the governor of Pakistan's Punjab province, Salman Taseer, was killed by one of his own bodyguards, who was subsequently sentenced to death. Now Mumtaz Qadri is appealing against his sentence and some people believe he could yet hold office himself.
    After a week in Pakistan asking people about the Taseer case, I left believing that more Pakistanis have sympathy for the murderer Mumtaz Qadri than for his victim Salman Taseer.
    This is what he told me: "No lawyer would do it. My name was suggested. When I told my friends they said, 'Don't do it! Don't do it!' If the religious people here are annoyed with somebody they do not let them live.

"But Qadri's death sentence has to be maintained. If it is reduced to life, I tell you he will end up being released.

"And then he will become a member of parliament or even a minister because he is a hero, not only of the normal people but also very well read people, including ex-judges and serving judges. Very, very highly placed people are making him out to be a hero."
    "You can't imagine what my brother has done," Qadri's eldest brother said. "People who before used to refuse to even shake our hands now come up to us and kiss our hands.

"We are just grateful that God chose a member of our family to protect the reputation of the Prophet."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I definitely didn't think I'd be posting a story that had Mickey Mouse and blasphemy in the title when I woke up this morning.
    Concerns that the Egyptian uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarek may lead to less freedom rather than more were given added weight on Monday following reports that the country’s richest man, telecommunications mogul Naguib Sawiris, will be forced to stand trial for blasphemy after he posted pictures of Mickey Mouse and Minnie wearing conservative Islamic garb (Mickey was also bearded), seeming to suggest that that the two characters would be required to wear such dress if radical Islamists take over. After the picture ignited an uproar on social network sites (one imam called for him to be killed), Sawiris, a Christian, took to Twitter to apologize, saying “I just thought it was a funny picture; no disrespect meant. I am sorry.” Human rights lawyer Gamal Eid told today’s (Tuesday) Washington Post that the court case raises the issue of censorship in the country. Bringing Sawiris to trial is evidence, he said, that “there is no rule of law in Egypt.

Source

sawiris-mickey-minnie.jpg?d9c344

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How is letting a transgender 7 year old into the girl scouts 'pro abortion'? :confused:

Sometimes I think America should split into two nations, one on the left, the other on the right. But then the right would probably bomb the living daylights out of the left.

Galvasean wrote: »
    How is letting a transgender 7 year old into the girl scouts 'pro abortion'? :confused:

Sometimes I think America should split into two nations, one on the left, the other on the right. But then the right would probably bomb the living daylights out of the left.

If the extreme right had absolute control of any nation with a nuclear stockpile the world would be f**ked.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jernal wrote: »
    If the extreme right had absolute control of any nation with a nuclear stockpile the world would be f**ked.:(

Aye, the Republicans have used nuclear weapons in warfare way more than the Democrats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Saw this on my facebook, sickening. Don't think it was posted before. Seems to be people being burnt alive for witchcraft....

WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

amacachi wrote: »
    Jernal wrote: »

Aye, the Republicans have used nuclear weapons in warfare way more than the Democrats.

Keyword: "absolute"

Keyword: "absolute"

Good thing the left never had that then, if they did that with "some" power imagine what they'd be like with absolute power.

Who was in power from 1980-1992 when the USSR finally broke up? Who escalated the Vietnam War? Just sayin'. I guess correlation isn't causation but in politics that's a line that doesn't really exist. Then again I keep forgetting that not being an uber "liberal" (I really wish there were treble inverted commas in common usage) isn't seen as coo'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Saw this on my facebook, sickening. Don't think it was posted before. Seems to be people being burnt alive for witchcraft....

WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT

Wow.

Of course Christians no doubt will argue that those people were not acting as true Christians, because every real Christian knows that such acts are completely wrong and immoral...except when the perpetrator is God and the torture continues for eternity when there isn't even the tiny consolation of the merciful release of death, in that case it is perfectly okay of course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

News in from Poland where a girl was fined around €1,200 for saying "it's hard to believe in something that was written by someone drunk on wine and smoking some herbs" in 2009.

Remember -- Jesus is love.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/6269061/Poland-fines-singer-for-bashing-Bible
    A Polish court slapped a fine on a popular singer who bad-mouthed the Bible - the latest episode in which authorities grapple with religious defamation in a traditionally Catholic country that is growing increasingly secular.

Dorota Rabczewska, a singer who uses the stage name Doda, said in a 2009 interview that she doubted the Bible "because it's hard to believe in something that was written by someone drunk on wine and smoking some herbs."

A Warsaw court ordered her Monday to pay a fine of 5000 zlotys (NZ$1827) for offending religious feelings.

The case comes months after another Polish court let off a death metal performer, Adam Darski, who tore a Bible during a 2007 performance. It deemed his act artistic expression.

Darski and Rabczewska once dated.

6269082.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

amacachi wrote: »
    Good thing the left never had that then, if they did that with "some" power imagine what they'd be like with absolute power.

Who was in power from 1980-1992 when the USSR finally broke up? Who escalated the Vietnam War? Just sayin'. I guess correlation isn't causation but in politics that's a line that doesn't really exist. Then again I keep forgetting that not being an uber "liberal" (I really wish there were treble inverted commas in common usage) isn't seen as coo'.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    News in from Poland where a girl was fined around €1,200 for saying "it's hard to believe in something that was written by someone drunk on wine and smoking some herbs" in 2009.

Remember -- Jesus is love.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/6269061/Poland-fines-singer-for-bashing-Bible

And that's why the blasphemy law worries me.

Messed up that in a first world country in the 21st Century someone could be fined for saying something 'offensive' like that.

As pathetic as that is, at least she wasn't flogged or stoned to death.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Image too long to post directly.

Yoinked from reddit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

muppeteer wrote: »

Made it half way before depression stopped me...

lol

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Made it half way before depression stopped me...

Although 99.99% of that image is really unsettling... I did get a laugh out of a bumper sticker which said something like "The Big Bang is wrong... An explosion in a print shop wouldn't create a dictionary" :D

Wait, how does McDonalds promote same sex marriage? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Ronald McDonald wears make-up. A flaming homosexual if ever I saw one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wait, how does McDonalds promote same sex marriage? :confused:
    *Obviously* you've never had a Civil Union Meal Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

It's called culling the herd. Plain and simple

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Indonesian atheist faces jail after Facebook post
    An Indonesian civil servant who declared himself an atheist on Facebook was arrested and is now facing jail for blasphemy after being attacked by an angry mob, police said Friday.

Alexander An, 30, who wrote "God doesn't exist" on his Facebook page, was beaten by a mob of dozens on Wednesday in his hometown in Pulau Punjung, West Sumatra province.

"He is suspected of having blasphemed against Islam," local police chief Chairul Aziz told AFP.

"The man told police investigators that if God really exists and has absolute power, why didn't he prevent bad things from happening in this world."

An said on his Facebook page that he was brought up as a Muslim, like the vast majority in Indonesia, where blasphemy is a punishable crime carrying a maximum five-year prison term.

Dozens of locals stormed into his office after a heated debate with them on Facebook over religion, police said.

An was also an administrator of a Facebook group promoting atheism with 1,243 followers. His postings no longer appeared online following his arrest.

Source

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"He is suspected of having blasphemed against Islam," local police chief Chairul Aziz told AFP.

I just can't understand it. I can't understand how it can be a law, anywhere, to believe something and be forced to keep your opinions to yourself. Can't understand it. You cannot believe in something you don't believe in. It's not a choice. How is that punishable, by a law enforcer?

I admire his courage. I only wish he moved somewhere that this sort of thing is not tolerated and where people are allowed to express an opinion.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I just can't understand it. I can't understand how it can be a law, anywhere, to believe something and be forced to keep your opinions to yourself.

Shut up!

eqimage4.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement