Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

bertie4evr wrote: »
    The parental controls are a joke!

This is what I have to go through to stop children watching films they shouldn't but also let adults watch what they want:

1- Go to Netflix and enter my email address and password
    2- Go to My Account
    3- Click Parental Controls
    4- Re-enter my email address and password
    5- Change the maximum rating allowed
    6- Wait (Up to 8 hours!) for the changes to take effect
    7- Watch the film on the TV
    8- Go back to the computer and login
    9- Go to Netflix and enter my email address and password
    10- Go to My Account
    11- Click Parental Controls
    12- Re-enter my email address and password
    13- Change the maximum rating allowed
    14- Wait again (For up to another 8 hours) for the changes to take effect

During those 8 hours children could watch Sin City, Old Boy, Deathproof, Secretary and countless other films. Jesus wept.

/rant
    I have to say, I love how The Little Vampire is right beside Carrie in the horror section :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Been trying it out for a while and i like it.Well worth the money.I really like the way it can handle 2 different movies on 2 computers in the house at the same time both in HD. on my wireless router.UPC 25meg is great for this.:):)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is there a 'recently added' tab or similar to see any newly uploaded films/tv shows??

Kiith wrote: »
    Is there a 'recently added' tab or similar to see any newly uploaded films/tv shows??

First thing you see when you sign in

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Yes, you just scroll down on the home page until you reach "new releases" where you can then leave your cursor on the arrow and the new content will scroll slowly across the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

First thing you see when you sign in
    huggs2 wrote: »
    Yes, you just scroll down on the home page until you reach "new releases" where you can then leave your cursor on the arrow and the new content will scroll slowly across the screen.

Ah, i'm an idiot. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

adox wrote: »
    Got this off another thread and it works a treat. Change your DNS settings on your PS3, reboot the PS3 then enter Netflix. When you hit the Netflic icon, hold down select and start and it will ask you if you want to re enter your log in details. Say yes, re enter your username and password that you set your Irish account up with and hey presto, you are on the US store. Huge difference in the library. :)

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291530-setting-up-ps3

Feck me.....it works!!!! :cool:

ads20101 wrote: »

Will stop working in a week I imagine, study offer a free trial and then its 5 euro a month. Well worth it considering you fan access Hulu and others such as BBC, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Might look into this myself... if they allowed you to buy off Steam's US site I'd be all over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Will stop working in a week I imagine, study offer a free trial and then its 5 euro a month. Well worth it considering you fan access Hulu and others such as BBC, etc.

Perhaps but I don't think it will. I've read some ppl say they didn't even bother signing up for the free trial and just followed the DNS instructions and it works fine.

• Advertisement

Perhaps but I don't think it will. I've read some ppl say they didn't even bother signing up for the free trial and just followed the DNS instructions and it works fine.

Ive been getting the odd sign in to unblock when trying to open pages.

Ive been getting the odd sign in to unblock when trying to open pages.

Guess we'll see in a week! I've been using my PS3 and I can't work out a way they would police who had paid and who hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

tried the unblock thing but it won't accept my account when i log on. i tried creating another account and couldn't get past the credit card verification stage.
    is there something i'm missing?

Have you reset Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

bada_bing wrote: »
    tried the unblock thing but it won't accept my account when i log on. i tried creating another account and couldn't get past the credit card verification stage.
    is there something i'm missing?

You don't need to sign up. I didn't, just followed the instructions. PS3 I gave no details. Think it asked for an email address for my Mac and iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Yeah i pressed start and select and got the message asking me if i wanted to clear my settings and re-register. i created an account on tuesday with facebook, but the login just won't work.

could it be down to the fact that i signed up for the trial already on facebook ??

Yeah i pressed start and select and got the message asking me if i wanted to clear my settings and re-register. i created an account on tuesday with facebook, but the login just won't work.

could it be down to the fact that i signed up for the trial already on facebook ??

Id already signed up for the trial too before using unblock. Are you logging back in under the same username? You don't need to create a new account. Just use the one you originally signed up for Netlix with.

Ah that could be your problem. Did you ever change your password when you registered with Facebook? If not, click the password reset button on Netflix and reset your password.

This happened to me and I ended up having to call them last night to get it resolved as it wouldn't let me change password. Only took two mins on the phone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

So turned this on again today and the HD icon is no longer showing up at all, anyone know why? And how to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Anyone know how to trick my eircom router into giving me a US ip for watching us content?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

CMpunked wrote: »
    Anyone know how to trick my eircom router into giving me a US ip for watching us content?

It depends on your router but if it's the silver Netopia one then go to 192.168.1.254 in your web browser and then set your DNS settings to match the Unblock-US one. Don't forget to start up your trial first though.

It depends on your router but if it's the silver Netopia one then go to 192.168.1.254 in your web browser and then set your DNS settings to match the Unblock-US one. Don't forget to start up your trial first though.

Just to note, nice you have this set up, it seems to work worldwide so you can use BBC iplayer as well, without changing anymore settings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Can anybody tell me how to find the Netflix App on the PS3? I read somewhere that it was under Network section of the XMB but it's not. I
    read that it was under "What's New" & somewhere else that you had to go to the playstation store but it's not. I signed in to the PlayStation Network first but still can't find it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

ads20101 wrote: »
    Not only does it work but I now have the US netflix on my PS3 and with the press of a button I still have the Irish Netflix on my Apple TV 2 and there is some stuff on Irish netflix that don't seem to be on the US version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

PWEI wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me how to find the Netflix App on the PS3? I read somewhere that it was under Network section of the XMB but it's not. I
    read that it was under "What's New" & somewhere else that you had to go to the playstation store but it's not. I signed in to the PlayStation Network first but still can't find it. :confused:
    Wasnt showing up for me either so I had to install Playstation Home first before it showed up in the main bar then I just uninstalled Home again. Think I read about that here but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Srooney03

hey guys

Anybody know if its possible to access the US through an XBOX?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

So turned this on again today and the HD icon is no longer showing up at all, anyone know why? And how to fix it?

It might have been that the show you were watching wasn't recorded in HD. I had the same issue yesterday when watching Barney:(

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Beagslife

For anyone needing/using a vpn service, www.overplay.net as well as offering a great range of vpn server locations (incl Ireland, UK, US) now includes a SmartDNS feature. It seems to be basically the same as what the unblock-us service offers. It is included in their $9.95 monthly fee.

I am based in Portugal. I have set SmartDNS up on my main router and I can now access hulu, BBC iPlayer, 4OD, RTE Player etc on all my web devices without going down the vpn route. I can still use the direct vpn feature when required.

I have set up a second router with Overplay’s DD-WRT specific router vpn application. It allows me to connect the router directly to any of their vpn servers. I have my Sony Bravia connected to this router. I can therefore watch the TV3 Player content directly on my tv (when set to Irish server) or iPlayer and Demand 5 (when set to UK). Still waiting for RTE Player on the Sony Bravia platform! Using the second router means I keep my full internet speed for the rest of the house.

I am not a tech expert, so I found their tech support great. They have detailed info on their site but will also walk you through the set up process if needed.

As an emigrant, it has been a great solution for viewing Irish content abroad. I hope this helps someone else out there.

By the way, does anyone have any idea when Netflix (Irl & UK) will be available on the Sony Bravia platform? I can get it on my tv when routed to the US. I will definitely sign up to Netflix, if I can get it directly on my tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

JohnK wrote: »
    Originally Posted by PWEI
    read that it was under "What's New" & somewhere else that you had to go to the playstation store but it's not. I signed in to the PlayStation Network first but still can't find it.
    Wasnt showing up for me either so I had to install Playstation Home first before it showed up in the main bar then I just uninstalled Home again. Think I read about that here but I'm not sure.

what? Thats insane! I was looking for the same info as PWEI and I cant believe we need to install "Home" to get access to netflix! Ugh if I recall that Home was a fairly big install too :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beagslife wrote: »
    By the way, does anyone have any idea when Netflix (Irl & UK) will be available on the Sony Bravia platform? I can get it on my tv when routed to the US. I will definitely sign up to Netflix, if I can get it directly on my tv.
    That's pretty much what I'm waiting for, but there doesn't appear to be any way to ask netflix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement