Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Apogee wrote: »
    The blasted thing won't initialise the USB - keeps returning an error. Is there any alternative to flashing the box with the original firmware?

try formatting the stick as ext3 on another linux computer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

There's been a major update to VIX released around christmas day, well the kernel anyway. You probably already know but just in case.....

You have to reflash via USB, if you try software update, it'll run but the box wont re-start,

http://url.ie/dtsw

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I didn't do the update yet, but wasn't aware I had to re-flash again (thanks for that).

That's a bit of a pain. Not sure I'll bother just yet. I only updated to the previous one a couple of weeks ago. For the effort (my backup/restore didn't work so I had to re-do all the options best I could) I see little or no difference.

I think I'll leave it with ..2.2? until I come up against some problem.

I didn't do the update yet, but wasn't aware I had to re-flash again (thanks for that).

That's a bit of a pain. Not sure I'll bother just yet. I only updated to the previous one a couple of weeks ago. For the effort (my backup/restore didn't work so I had to re-do all the options best I could) I see little or no difference.

I think I'll leave it with ..2.2? until I come up against some problem.

Gunther, if you do a settings backup first, then upgrade via usb. After you restart, the setup wizard asks you if you want to restore settings, a simple yes here has you back where you were in about 7 seconds.
    The only thing I had to do was re-install the Novat T driver, everything else was saved and restored (even my oscam).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Went and installed the Nova drivers, what a mistake that was.

Box won't boot now, stuck on Starting.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

whats the best tunner these days for a usb dvb-t tunner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

hauppauge nova-t or playtv for playstation which is a dual tuner both use same drivers, dib 0700.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Play-TV-PS3/dp/B0017UV0UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325757350&sr=8-1

Can anyone explain this to me...?

I have the Nova T USB DTT dongle in my Duo. Just now I managed to record the Simpsons on RTE2 while at the same time watching That 70's show on 3e. Both channels on DTT. How is this possible? Is it a dual tuner? (and btw, I checked the recording, it did record the Simpsons and its perfect).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

dnme wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this to me...?

I have the Nova T USB DTT dongle in my Duo. Just now I managed to record the Simpsons on RTE2 while at the same time watching That 70's show on 3e. Both channels on DTT. How is this possible? Is it a dual tuner? (and btw, I checked the recording, it did record the Simpsons and its perfect).

The Nova T is not a dual tuner. The Nova TD is Dual.

Its currently possible to record all irish DTT channels at the same time with a single tuner DTT stick on Duo. IE you can record RTE1, 2, TV3 3E nEWS Now and RTE1+1 at the same time as they are on the same mux. When 2 mux is set up then you will see where the Nova TD has an advantage.Its similar to recording satellite. A single sat tuner on duo can record all channels on same transponder at same time. Its probable technically possible to record 10-20(2 sat transponder and dtt mux) channels at same time on duo. I have never tried it. Have set it to record 6 at same time and it worked fine.

stanley1 wrote: »
    hauppauge nova-t or playtv for playstation which is a dual tuner both use same drivers, dib 0700.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Play-TV-PS3/dp/B0017UV0UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325757350&sr=8-1

Is one of these more reliable than the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

AAARGGGH!
    I switched off the Duo a while ago (to try to get the DTT stick working) by switching off at the back -hard reset.

I switched back on and the display-light came on and stayed red. Pressing the power button on the remote puts it to yellow while I'm pressing it, but nothing happens.

I can hear the hd accessing/ starting up and the slight hum of the hd spinning.
    EEEK!

I have a similar problem. Recently reflashed and updated VIX (bootloader & image). Did the sat scan today, and right at the end when all channels were found, it crashed (said vaguely that enigma2 was at fault)

Restarting, it just hangs at the >Starting.... screen for ever.

Powered off and left it an hour, no joy.

What's the next best thing to try, please? I presume a USB reinstall of VIX, but wanted to check here if something else was better. thx

glic83 wrote: »

I've read some reports on this thread of the nova-t hanging for people on DTT channels, but haven't seem similar with the playtv. I'm a total rookie though, so others might have a better idea.

A post on the last page explains why the nova-t can record/watch more than one DTT channel at once - that may be an advantage it has over the playtv, if that's important to you might be worth looking into.

byte

edanto wrote: »
    I have a similar problem. Recently reflashed and updated VIX (bootloader & image). Did the sat scan today, and right at the end when all channels were found, it crashed (said vaguely that enigma2 was at fault)

Restarting, it just hangs at the >Starting.... screen for ever.

Powered off and left it an hour, no joy.

What's the next best thing to try, please? I presume a USB reinstall of VIX, but wanted to check here if something else was better. thx
    Sounds very similar to my issue when I installed the NovaT driver... rebooted the STB, but it never came back on. It just sat on "Starting..."

In the end, I had to reflash with USB again. PITA as I hadn't anything backed up! :(

I've read some reports on this thread of the nova-t hanging for people on DTT channels, but haven't seem similar with the playtv. I'm a total rookie though, so others might have a better idea.

A post on the last page explains why the nova-t can record/watch more than one DTT channel at once - that may be an advantage it has over the playtv, if that's important to you might be worth looking into.

play tv should be the same tbh as all the channels are on the same mux at the min.they are expensive though anyone see them cheaper than what they are going on amazon for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

glic83 wrote: »

The play TV would be the better option. Its a dual tuner whereas the Nova t is a single tuner. The Nova TD would be similar to Play TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

PlayTV is not infallible either unfortunately...just a few minutes ago, was watching RTE One, and the picture and sound started skipping and jumping. This happens only occasionally, but it's very annoying. A reboot sorts it out, but I had a recording going, so it'll have to wait.

As regards multiple recordings, I've managed 3 at once from DTT. More than that, and the recordings are there, but with a time of 0:00. I'm on Blackhole though, VIX might be different, although I'd guess the drivers are the same basic code repackaged from some Linux repository or other.

Twice this evening my DTT channels stopped working. The VU+Duo just says "tune failed". The satellite channels remain perfect, its just DTT that goes. A restart fixes the issue. I'm using the Nova T USB adapter. Never had this issue before. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

just my opinion but I think the new drivers are a bit dodgy, I ended up going back to vix 2.2. I'm using playtv dual tuner, same drivers as nova-t.

Would anyone be willing to share a bouquet please, that includes 28.2 FTA & DTT channels?

I'm not doing any cam stuff, and have tried the Silverfox bouquet, but that still includes loads of channels that I don't have permission to see, and I'd rather have a slimmer bouquet.

Picking up my DTT from three rock if anyone happens to have exactly that combination handy.

cheers

byte

Twice this evening my DTT channels stopped working. The VU+Duo just says "tune failed". The satellite channels remain perfect, its just DTT that goes. A restart fixes the issue. I'm using the Nova T USB adapter. Never had this issue before. Anyone else?
    That is the issue I always had with my Nova T. However, it was greatly reduced when I had fitted it through a powered USB hub (I was convinced that the USB power from the STB itself wasn't sufficient enough to drive the Nova dongle).

After my nightmare with trying to get Nova going again after the new VIX, I've got my Nova working again, but only in the past 10 minutes! Time will tell if the newer drivers/OS are less stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Would anyone be willing to share a bouquet please, that includes 28.2 FTA & DTT channels?

I'm not doing any cam stuff, and have tried the Silverfox bouquet, but that still includes loads of channels that I don't have permission to see, and I'd rather have a slimmer bouquet.

Picking up my DTT from three rock if anyone happens to have exactly that combination handy.

cheers

Heres an Irish DTT/Freesat bouquet if you want to give that a try?
    The Sat Buoquet is built on B16MCC frontend, so keeps Sky numbering.
    The DTT is set to the Limerick mast tho.
    Hope it helps...

EDIT, For some reason .RAR isn't allowed???
    If you want to pm me an email address I'll send it onto you.
    Sorry bout that.

Thanks a million, I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Thanks a million, I'll give that a go.

Another one here, I'm on Three Rock too. Used DreamboxEdit to save it.

Great help rurs, thanks.

Is anyone using dreamdroid with their vu+ duo? I keep getting a connection error.

Are these the right settings?

Hostname IP - I'm sure about that.
    Streaming hostname - leaving that blank
    Port - defaults to 80. Enable SSL unticked
    Enable login, tried ticked and unticked, with 'root' and blank pwd, which works for dreamboxedit

Is there a service on my vu+ I need to enable to make it available on port 80? I've been through the setup/system/network menu and can't see which service might be the right one. Some are enabled, some disabled.

thx

SOLUTION:
    Look at the openwebif plugin found in plugins menu. You can assign the port in there, or see what port is set to http

Next Problem:
    Tried using Daroon player on the droid to play the content that dreamdroid collects, but it's a bit glitchy. Presume that's because the droid I'm using is an old tablet, and it will be fine with a quicker droid

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭sob1467

Just a word of warning on buying new Vu+ receivers. Vu+ have updated their website with a warning on the circulation of clone Vu+ boxes which have hit the market. So it would be advisable to be careful where you buy your Vu+ to ensure that it is a real one. I'd be careful about buying them at low prices of places like Ebay now. I'm sure though if you buy them in reputable satellite stores. The receivers will be 100% though.

http://www2.vuplus.com/14-vuplus-articles/100-caution-vu-clone
    Caution! Vu+ Clone

Dear partners and Customers,

Vu+, unarguably the leading supplier of Linux based set top box, works relentlessly to make sure the utmost quality that you expect us to achieve. This has been the integral part of the whole operations in developing and manufacturing.

However, we recently learned that a clone of Vu+ SOLO could now be traded through illegal transaction routes from China. In responding to this grave situation, we assure you that we will take all possible legal measures to ensure that such pirated copies of Vu+ products be not traded freely. Furthermore, we have already begun a technical process via which to upgrade the algorithm of system security implemented in all Vu+ products soon.

When this upgrade is put into place, no pirated copies of Vu+ products will work. While we sincerely ask for your unilateral support in dealing with this serious matter, let us state the following aspects so that you can inform those who might be interested in Vu+ clones.

1.No software update will be possible.
    2.The hardware stability of clone is very questionable.
    3.No repair support will be offered for clone boxes.

Also, please be noted that SOLO clones have several points that are different from the genuine SOLO as below:

We would be sincerely grateful if you send us email ( support@vuplus.com) on any information regarding how these clones are actually traded by whom. We believe that fighting against pirated copies of Vu+ products is not just for the benefit of Vu+ only but also for all customers of Vu+ as a whole. Thus, we once again wish for your unilateral support.

Best regards,

Vu+ TEAM

Its best to open the link to see the pictures as I cannot put them inside the quote.

I know that there have been dreambox clones around for years now and some people would say some of the clones are as good as the actual originals. But there is talk on other forums about time bombs that may be put into images to erradicate these clones. So for the time being I would stay clear of cheaper price Vu+ receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Theres a place been selling them in Dublin for a low price..

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

dnme,

DTT tuners on VU+ boxes (especially it seems for Irish users) is a disaster. You look on any forum and its the same comments (go back through this thread and you will see tons of DTT errors.
    Freezes, black screen, looping 10 sec video, tuner failed and on and on. Doesnt seem to effect UK users (and thats why there isnt a fix I'd say).
    One trend I did see was the some users of DTT that have the above issues on DTT with VU+ dont have any issues at all with the same tuner on a Dreambox...

Its been brought up several times on VIX and PLi Sites but its not getting any notice from developers. I was advised to contact Sundtek (my tuner) to get them to sort it but it seems to be on all tuners. (Nova etc)

The tuner failed you have I have seen that too but Id think that only appeared in the last few versions (definitely since ver 2.1).

D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

Just have a quick question about a VU+ solo box i bought,

i have a usb HD connected to the solo,i formatted it through the box itself, but now that it has a linux partition Windows wont recognise it

so how do people put videos and stuff on it to playback through the HD without installing linux on the pc containing the video files etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

SteJay wrote: »
    Just have a quick question about a VU+ solo box i bought,

i have a usb HD connected to the solo,i formatted it through the box itself, but now that it has a linux partition Windows wont recognise it

so how do people put videos and stuff on it to playback through the HD without installing linux on the pc containing the video files etc?

You should be able to FTP stuff over the(your) network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

Does anyone know how to fast forward a movie file on the VU+ to a user defined number of minutes like on a sky box?

When i press help on the remote it says to longpress the right button but it doesnt work for me, im using vix image

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement