Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Maybe some of you already know about this, but I hadn't come across it before.

Came across this fix to get ITV4+1 and others showing full listings

Satpimps post, CrossEPG Google code

Basically uses ITV4 data and shifts it by an hour.

Could also be used if RTE mess up the DTT listings again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

rurs wrote: »
    Maybe some of you already know about this, but I hadn't come across it before.

Came across this fix to get ITV4+1 and others showing full listings

Satpimps post, CrossEPG Google code

Basically uses ITV4 data and shifts it by an hour.

Could also be used if RTE mess up the DTT listings again...

Enable freesat epg in Vix configuration and you will get full ITV4+1 EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

irishchris wrote: »
    On mine I push up arrow on Sony bravia remote for TV guide and press blue to change bouquet

Cheers, is there anyway to do this with the graphical epg?

givecredit wrote: »
    Enable freesat epg in Vix configuration and you will get full ITV4+1 EPG.

I would if I was using Vix:D

This fix is useful for Blackhole et al, or if you're using OpenTV only.

It also adds EPG for STV+1, UTV+1 and Showcase+1.

I do miss the Freesat EPG for the radio stations, I'm looking at another script to download from Radio Times, but it's a bit beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

does anybody know the best terrestrial stick to use in these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

hauppauge nova-t or playtv which is a dual tuner, they both use the same drivers, dvb dib 0700 which is in menu > plugins > drivers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-1401-Nova-T-Basic/dp/B004G5YZ9M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1322474560&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Play-TV-PS3/dp/B0017UV0UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322474422&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I have a Nova-t. Every few weeks the DTT channels go blank for me and I need to reset the unit. For me that's no big deal, but some others seem to have worse problems with it.
    I've not heard of any problems with PlayTV (?). If you don't like resetting your satbox once a fortnight or so, go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

I have a Nova-t. Every few weeks the DTT channels go blank for me and I need to reset the unit.

Same for me with Nova-T. But reset frequency more like once a week. Just added a Cron command for a nightly reboot in the hope that it will fix this.

Haven't yet figured out what causes the stick to stop working.

Wiggy wrote: »
    Same for me with Nova-T. But reset frequency more like once a week. Just added a Cron command for a nightly reboot in the hope that it will fix this.

Let us know if this works please.

I have a Nova-t. Every few weeks the DTT channels go blank for me and I need to reset the unit. For me that's no big deal, but some others seem to have worse problems with it.
    I've not heard of any problems with PlayTV (?). If you don't like resetting your satbox once a fortnight or so, go for that.

Same issue with PlayTV on Blackhole, or sound OK but picture jumpy. 1 of each in the last month. Had exactly the same issues with Afatech 9015, a bit disappointed that PlayTV isn't 100% reliable either.

I tend to put the box in Deep Standby overnight, I suppose this is equivalent to a reboot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

All,
    I reboot my duo every night. That isnt the issue though. For me it mostly happens if you have lots of recordings going or had a lot of recordings going. Monday evening i have about 8 to 10 programs recording all evening. All the sat ones run fine, even after the dtt tuner is gone. The dtt could fail on any of the dtt recordings. A few times it failed with 2 sat recordings going on and watching rte2 hd. Its a disaster for me. Roll on 3 tuner receiver.
    What gets me is that on freeview users have no problems. Weird..

yes usb drivers for the vu are a bit ropey, I have tried a few dtt usb sticks but like you say the ideal answer would be an embedded internal slot for terrestrial tuner. Is there such a thing as a 3 tuner slot enigma 2 receiver ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

stanley1 wrote: »
    yes usb drivers for the vu are a bit ropey, I have tried a few dtt usb sticks but like you say the ideal answer would be an embedded internal slot for terrestrial tuner. Is there such a thing as a 3 tuner slot enigma 2 receiver ?
    There is dm8000 which is out for few years but still way overpriced or the upcoming Vu+ ultimo

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Thanks for the replies lads.

One thing baffles me is that for the UK Guys on Freeview there is zero problems with DTT and for the rest of us its a bit poor to be honest.

Go figure.
    There is dm8000 which is out for few years but still way overpriced or the upcoming Vu+ ultimo

yes nearly €900 for the dm, the ultimo should be appearing in early December, with a price tag of around €540. Hm-Sat shipping is showing available 12/12/11.

Do any of you guys know if there is a universal remote that works with a TV and the Vu Duo?

I know the new images allow some control for some sets but mine isnt one of them, and I know their is a really expensive one for around 100 euro but thats way out of my price range for a remote control!

Any ideas?

THanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Do any of you guys know if there is a universal remote that works with a TV and the Vu Duo?

I know the new images allow some control for some sets but mine isnt one of them, and I know their is a really expensive one for around 100 euro but thats way out of my price range for a remote control!

Any ideas?

THanks.

i use a Logitech harmony one in the sitting room and a Kameleon OFA6 in the bedroom.
    Logitech harmony One is an amazing bit of kit, I have it set up to run TV, Sat, Amp, Lighting rig, Bluray and PS3 and as it sets up on activity basis theres no switching modes or devices to control things.
    Only criticism I'd have for the One is that the coloued keys are on the touch screen and not hard keys ;)
    And the Kameloen is a great bit of kit too, I like the backlit screen esp and they can be got cheap.(Just found out the kameleons are discontinued)

One for all: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9239841/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|cat_19780832|Television+accessories|14419521/Trail/searchtext%3EONE+FOR+ALL.htm
    Logitech harmony, Big range: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/xx/242/xx/1975/3/criteresn.html?srcid=391&mctag=uk_10668&gclid=CLH7g_O44awCFeIhtAodSHsjow

Prices can be bettered but the links are just a pointer ;) But the harmony 300 will do everything you want and can be got for 27.99 on pixmania and cheaper again on ebay.

I'd second the Harmony 300 recommendation. Have 2 of them. Each controling Vu+, Tv, Amp. All hard buttons and very very easy to set up. Great button layout and can adapt buttons to do various functions on duo.

I have tried plenty of one for all remotes including more expensive harmonys but the 300 model wins hands down. It just works brillantly and is great value for money!!.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you're on a budget, just get one of the Silvercrest universals from Lidl - usually around a tenner or less. Have learning functions for remotes not in their db.

Just added a Cron command for a nightly reboot in the hope that it will fix this.

Any update on this? Has it fixed the blank screens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

Any update on this? Has it fixed the blank screens?

Too early to say I'm afraid. That's the problem with this type of intermittent fault. Very hard to validate.

I've just updated to the latest VIX and have a few issues.
    (I flashed the Duo, then flashed VIX, then booted).

Foolishly I didn't do a backup beforehand. Truth be told I didn't think of the Tuner setup/ epg/ Timers, etc. being gone, but I'm not sure where I'd have backed up anyway.

But the main problems I'm having are:

1. Under Plugins/ DVB there is no Nova-T option. Only Sundtek. I installed that one, but obviously it doesn't work. Where's Nova-T gone? How do I get my DTT channels on? I don't have a "Tuner C" option like I used to. ?

2. No sound!?
    I'm using HDMI to connect to the tv ...It's a projector actually with no speakers of its own, so I can't easily check if the audio is going via hdmi. I'm using an optical cable to the amp. Is there now an option somewhere to move audio to optical? I've looked all over and don't see it.

Help! (please)

My mistake -the sound is working (was somehow set to DTS instead of AUTO for that input).

But I'm still having the Nova-T issue.

Anyone? !

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭m1nder

My mistake -the sound is working (was somehow set to DTS instead of AUTO for that input).

But I'm still having the Nova-T issue.

Anyone? !

Gunther, its under plugins - drivers. It has a 7000 in the name

Hm. There's one with 700 (not 7000) in the name. Tried that. I still couldn't see "Tuner C" though. Is there something else to initiate after downloading/ before seeing it in the Tuner list?

I then tried one of the others (I think there's 4 usb drivers in this section). The one that mentioned x86 or something like that. Didn't work either obviously.

None of them mention Nova-T.

?

Hm. There's one with 700 (not 7000) in the name. Tried that. I still couldn't see "Tuner C" though. Is there something else to initiate after downloading/ before seeing it in the Tuner list?

I then tried one of the others (I think there's 4 usb drivers in this section). The one that mentioned x86 or something like that. Didn't work either obviously.

None of them mention Nova-T.

?

Give Duo full reboot after installing driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Anybody know how much the Ultimo will be?

about 540

AAARGGGH!
    I switched off the Duo a while ago (to try to get the DTT stick working) by switching off at the back -hard reset.

I switched back on and the display-light came on and stayed red. Pressing the power button on the remote puts it to yellow while I'm pressing it, but nothing happens.

I can hear the hd accessing/ starting up and the slight hum of the hd spinning.
    EEEK!

I tried hard reset. I tried waiting. I tried keeping my finger on the remote power button (it clicks off, then begins to switch back on again, but it makes no difference to the display or anything else).
    I detached the usb stick.

I tried rebooting with the Vix 2.3 firmware update in the usb stick, but it doesn't get far enough to begin looking for a usb device, it seems.

HELP ME PLEASE! Have I bricked my Duo? What did I do wrong?

I can't access it via the pc network either. Eep!

• Advertisement

OK. Panic over. I left it switched off for 5 minutes and it booted when I switched back on. Phew!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement