Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Ireland launched. 1 month free trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have not seen it mentioned, so forgive me if I missed it .. .... to use this service on a PC is there an application that has to be downloaded or is the stream viewed using a browser or other app?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

neon123 wrote: »
    That selection looks brutal, if Netflix doesnt improve on that selection,then that is pathetic ,half the library looks ancient and the other half is crap.I was surprised they didn't screw us with the price,6.99 is very reasonable,but with the selection they have there,I wouldn't use it, if it was free.

They had a pretty abysmal start in the US too but look at it now. It takes time and money to acquire licenses et al.

And I think it deserves some leeway for any teething problems they're obviously going to encounter.

Just sign up a few months down the line when the selection is improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Holy crap, that's excellent. Was waiting for season Three to release on DVD but this'll do the job.

Anyone know how the absolute minimum of Broadband speeds will fare in regards to streaming quality?
    Our connection is about 2megs but seeing as I'll be using this over the WiFi, I'll be lucky to get half of that.

I'd imagine your wifi will be the bottleneck, not BB. Netflix say that it would work on 0.5Mb feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mikesp

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Anyone know how the absolute minimum of Broadband speeds will fare in regards to streaming quality?
    Our connection is about 2megs but seeing as I'll be using this over the WiFi, I'll be lucky to get half of that.

On the worst case scenario you will have to wait for the player to make a longer buffer at the beginning, but it should work ok after that.

@neon123 They offer what they can, what the majors let them offer. If the selection doesn't fit you or you are missing something, just the content you like using other methods/services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Anyone know if you can get this working with a WDTV Live player?

the new version of the WDTV Live will work, or the Live Plus (which is now discontinued).

the old version of the Live will not work AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

to use this service on a PC is there an application that has to be downloaded or is the stream viewed using a browser or other app?

Browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

b318isp wrote: »
    I'd imagine your wifi will be the bottleneck, not BB. Netflix say that it would work on 0.5Mb feed.

Right thanks. Hopefully I'll be picking up one of those PowerLine thingy-ma-bobs off Amazon soon enough so I can do away with the awful WiFi any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tinodz wrote: »
    You can choose to force a low quality stream on all your devices. After signing up, go to Your Account & Help on Netflix.com (Top Right). Click, then look under Manage Account for Manage video quality. The following options are available there:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
    Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
    Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

This will then force the lower quality stream, even if your connection can handel better.

I changed mine to Best Quality, can't seem to find anything in HD though, any idea, am I just being unlucky with the shows i'm picking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

loyatemu wrote: »
    the new version of the WDTV Live will work, or the Live Plus (which is now discontinued).

the old version of the Live will not work AFAIK.

How do you know if you have the new version of the WDTV Live?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's only one WDTV Live and the chip doesn't support DRM, so no Netflix. Only on the WDTV Live Hub and the WDTV Live Plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

tinodz wrote: »
    You can choose to force a low quality stream on all your devices. After signing up, go to Your Account & Help on Netflix.com (Top Right). Click, then look under Manage Account for Manage video quality. The following options are available there:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
    Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
    Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

This will then force the lower quality stream, even if your connection can handel better.

I changed mine to Best Quality, can't seem to find anything in HD though, any idea, am I just being unlucky with the shows i'm picking?

Breaking Bad, Saturday Night Live and South Park are all HD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I finally got into Terms of Use and found a link that let me know this is of no use to me.

Thankfully I did not sign up as I intended.

Apparently they will not allow me to access the streams because I use Linux OS.
    Q:
    What are the system requirements to watch films instantly on my PC or Mac?
    A:
    To watch instantly, you'll need a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:
    Windows
    Windows XP with Service Pack 2, Vista or Windows 7
    Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher; or Firefox 3 or higher; or Chrome 7 or higher
    1.2 GHz processor
    512 MB RAM
    Macintosh
    An Intel-based Mac with OS 10.4.11 or later
    Safari 3 or higher; or Firefox 3 or higher
    1 GB RAM
    You will also need an active broadband connection to the internet

Has anyone tried to access the service while using Linux?

I may be misinterpreting the above .....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

How do you know if you have the new version of the WDTV Live?

it looks like this
    wdfWDTV_Live_G3.jpg

old one looks like this (though the live plus looks very similar too):
    WDTV_Live_2.jpg
    There's only one WDTV Live and the chip doesn't support DRM, so no Netflix. Only on the WDTV Live Hub and the WDTV Live Plus.

nope - see above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I have not seen it mentioned, so forgive me if I missed it .. .... to use this service on a PC is there an application that has to be downloaded or is the stream viewed using a browser or other app?

It runs on Microsoft's Silverlight inside a browser, consequently if you're a linux user you need to run Windows in a VM to use netflix.
    To watch instantly, you'll need a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:

Windows
    Windows XP with Service Pack 2, Vista or Windows 7
    Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher; or Firefox 3 or higher; or Chrome 7 or higher
    1.2 GHz processor
    512 MB RAM
    Mac
    An Intel-based Mac with OS 10.4.11 or later
    Safari 3 or higher; or Firefox 3 or higher; or Chrome 10 or higher
    1 GB RAM
    Chrome OS
    A Google Chromebook with Chrome OS 13 or higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Could someone tell me the advantages of this as opposed to having an apple tv set up with icefilms?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

its legal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I don't have Queue either. Not bothered though as I don't see myself watching on my phone for a prolonged length of time

Thanks, I doubt I would either, but it would be handy for 'just in case'!

I was thinking that I might be able to set up a queue on the website, as I signed up using my mobile, but I'll check this out later!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Wossack wrote: »
    its legal

But still more or less the same type of service and range yeah??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

That's a balls... did some digging around and indeed is the case. Have two of the original WDTV Live boxes, for each TV, and these connect back to my network, Internet and NAS via powerline Ethernet.

Looks like my €6.99 per month will be better spent on continuing my Rapidshare subscription:rolleyes:

Techie budget seriously slashed for 2012 and beyond so its all about making use of what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nope not playing in HD, i'm using google chrome on OSX, wonder if that's anything to do with it (Sad Professor?)

Must try in the revue this evening and see is it the same.

• Advertisement

I finally got into Terms of Use and found a link that let me know this is of no use to me.

Thankfully I did not sign up as I intended.

Apparently they will not allow me to access the streams because I use Linux OS.

Has anyone tried to access the service while using Linux?

I may be misinterpreting the above .....

Try Moonlight for Linux! It is an OS version of MS's Silverlight.

This might allow it to run inside Linux for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

See lots series not up to date - Breaking Bad only has Season 1-3 whereas I think 4 is finished a few months. Suppose cannot have it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,808 ✭✭✭✭Basq

See lots series not up to date - Breaking Bad only has Season 1-3 whereas I think 4 is finished a few months. Suppose cannot have it all.
    It isn't out on Blu-ray / DVD in the US yet..

.. so it'll be at least then before it's up on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Not a great selection so far but good value at 6.99. Will probably stick with it after the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Try Moonlight for Linux! It is an OS version of MS's Silverlight.

This might allow it to run inside Linux for you!

According to this that won't work, because Moonlight doesn't have built-in DRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Meh to having to enter payment details for 1 month free :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well the idea is that you sign for the free trial and then forget to cancel before it runs out.

FTGFOP wrote: »
    According to this that won't work, because Moonlight doesn't have built-in DRM.

Doh! :D
    Looks like a virtual machine is the only way to go then!

I'm almost certain that I had Sky Player working in Ubuntu with Moonlight, and surely that has DRM!
    Maybe I'm just remembering wrong! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Oh nice one, never tried a streaming service before, download most of my shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Well the idea is that you sign for the free trial and then forget to cancel before it runs out.

Not cool, thought it was only pr0n sites that needed to do that :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement