Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

:eek: Ah here...
    AMBER Miller's day was far from over when she crossed the Chicago Marathon finish line on Sunday. She still had to give birth

The 27-year-old from suburban Chicago was nearly 39 weeks pregnant at the start of the 26.2-mile race, and went into labour shortly after finishing, a spokeswoman from Central DuPage Hospital said on Monday.

Miller ran in marathons while pregnant with her son Caleb, but never close to 39 weeks pregnant, the spokeswoman said. Miller told reporters at Central DuPage Hospital that she did not plan to finish the race.

"I was kind of planning on running about half, and maybe skipping to the end and walking across the finish line," Miller said in a video on the ABCNews Web site.

She ended up alternating between running for two miles and walking for two miles throughout the race, Miller told the Chicago Tribune.

After the race, Miller and her husband, Joe, celebrated for a bit and got some dinner, the spokeswoman said. Then around 3 p.m., Miller felt contractions and the couple headed to the hospital.

Miller gave birth to her second child, June, at 10:29 p.m. on Sunday, the spokeswoman said, adding that the baby and Miller were both healthy after the pregnancy.

Miller had kept her doctors aware of her exercise plans while pregnant, and her doctors had no objections to her running in the marathon, the spokeswoman said.

She finished in 6 hours and 25 minutes, much slower than her previous seven marathons.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/us-woman-gives-birth-hours-after-running-chicago-marathon-2901647.html

Must work harder.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I know this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string?' question, but to what extent can running affect your weight? That is, assuming you're not going mad with sweets/chocolate, etc. Maybe the scales is a bit wonky. I didn't take up running to lose weight, btw.

The average person will burn about 100kcals per mile they run (this is an approximate figure, a smaller than average person will burn less and a bigger one will burn more). So in theory running by running 35 miles you will burn 3500kcal which is equivalent to 1lb.

The above formula assumes that you eat no more when running 35 mile than you do when not running at all. It is difficult to run a lot and not eat extra calories to fuel the running.

Running can help you lose the weight but you have to be doing a lot of it to have a significant impact, diet is still the most important factor in weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

I finished the couch to 5k at the end of August and for someone who hasn't run since I was a child, I enjoyed every second of it. Tough in parts, but worth every mental kick in the ass when I wanted to stop! In fact I did a 5k on a Friday and a 6k on the Sunday at the beginning of September. Nearly killed me. And now I'm starting the bridge to 10k tomorrow (while still doing 3 zumba classes a week - I'm going to die!!)

But most definitely, I advise everyone to do the couch to 5k!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Only 4 runs of the Bridge to 10k programme left to do. :eek: :cool:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Downside to wearing a massive hi-vis vest while running in an urban area: everyone thinks you're a Guard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I got called a granny during my cool down walk tonight, whatever that's about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

after manymanymany abortive attempts at this Day 1 Week 1 starts now (got a week off and it's not raining so perfect timing). If anyone comes across a violently swearing ribena berry doing a slow lap of mountjoy square in the next hour please splash it with cold water

You'll be grand :) Nice and cold too, perfect running weather!

after manymanymany abortive attempts at this Day 1 Week 1 starts now (got a week off and it's not raining so perfect timing). If anyone comes across a violently swearing ribena berry doing a slow lap of mountjoy square in the next hour please splash it with cold water
    Best of luck! I felt like a bit of an eejit for the first while of c25k (you think you go purple?) but it doesn't take long for you to notice that it's getting easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Thanks for the well wishes :) Did anyone else feel like they needed a full body pair of spanx starting out? I'm so lacking in muscle tone that (gross description ahoy) I can actually feel arse and belly basically bouncing along with me as I run.

Today wasn't too bad, I didn't quite manage the last 2 60 second runs (got half way through one and wheezed something like, 'No, no I won't get ready for the next 60 seconds, fuck you' and turned off my mp3 player like a child, the next one will be better & will be right the way through)

Looking forward to a more gazelle like (a lesswater-balloon-full-of-custard like) gait in the near future!

Did anyone else feel like they needed a full body pair of spanx starting out?

Absolutely. Was just under 15 stone when I started running, so plenty of jellybelly and ginormoboob swinging about the place. Trust me when I say it gets better!

Finished Bridge to 10K. :DBanane18.gif

Illiotibial band syndrome is not fun... :(

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Illiotibial band syndrome is not fun... :(

Been there. It's crap :(

:(
    Had to go back to physio with the knee as the pain is now up in my back and down the other leg. Apparently my sacroilliac joint is out of whack and my gluts aren't doing their job properly, in essence my butt isn't working :confused: Cue the gales of laughter from my husband. :mad:

Its so frustrating. I was going great and now I'm pretty much at a full-stop. I can feel my fitness ebbing away and I could cry... or kick something...which I can't, because it hurts :mad::(

Someone please tell me it will get better. :(

paperclip2 wrote: »
    :(
    Had to go back to physio with the knee as the pain is now up in my back and down the other leg. Apparently my sacroilliac joint is out of whack and my gluts aren't doing their job properly, in essence my butt isn't working :confused: Cue the gales of laughter from my husband. :mad:
    I've had comments during a sports massage about a similar thing - SI joint is "sticky" and it has caused a couple of niggles in my right hip/glute before, including the one that almost made me miss the 2010 Dublin marathon.

Can you do any alternative exercise?

Finished a race for the first time in over 6 months this morning :D

Did the Jingle Bells 5k, finished in 24:26, and am absolutely chuffed!

Finished a race for the first time in over 6 months this morning :D

Did the Jingle Bells 5k, finished in 24:26, and am absolutely chuffed!
    Yay!

*insert "you go, girl" type pep-talk here*

I've had comments during a sports massage about a similar thing - SI joint is "sticky" and it has caused a couple of niggles in my right hip/glute before, including the one that almost made me miss the 2010 Dublin marathon.

Can you do any alternative exercise?

Its a flippin pain. I can do swimming and some pilates but its not the same. Normally I'd be out an back from my run in the time its takes to even get to the swimming pool. :(

Well done on the Jingle Bells. The women from my club went and had a blast. Ah well next year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Haven't posted in ages but have been lurking around! Have been running 3k 2-3 times a week for the last 10 weeks or so and really enjoying it, realisitically though I know need to further the distance so am aiming to up it to 4k after Xmas!

Am doing the goal mile christmas morning and have my eye on one or two 5k runs for the spring :)

Want to go for a run, but I've a dose. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TippRugby

I haven't done a 5km since Sept :( Got really bad vertigo, had to take time off work and all the rest and starting to feel better and wanna get off the couch (especially after sitting beside a tim fo sweets for most of Christmas!!!)
    Anyone else suffer from vertigo and go back running? Just wondering what to expect??
    All advise greatly welcome

Went out for an hour yesterday. Think I've hurt my left calf, owie.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Haven't posted here in yonks!!! Part of the NY plans is to pay better attention to tLL!

Went out today, did about 7K and while I was delighted with myself when I got home, my chest sounds like I've a 20 a day habit!!!! It was lovely out though, had gloves, jacket and earmuffs on and the cold against my face felt great - I even did one of those smiles to myself and ran faster... :)

Bought Womens Running magazine too, they've a few good plans in there so I'll read cover to cover and hope it gives me the motivation to keep it up!

Anyone have any races coming up to train for?

Loopie wrote: »
    Anyone have any races coming up to train for?
    Raheny 5 at the end of January :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

So I started C25K today. It was pretty much a shipment of fail :( I was fine for the first run, out of breath for the second and couldn't breath at all for the third. I ended up taking a break and just doing the fifth and sixth on my way back home. I'm really, really hoping it was the wind that put me off. I was running/walking directly into it. I know how much the wind can affect my breathing while cycling so fingers crossed that it's the same for running. If it's not, then I'm much more unfit that I thought I was :o

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Good on ya Aoifums - that programme is great, you'll be running further than you thought you could in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

hi first post in both this thread and tLL full stop :o:eek:

i signed up to do the operation transformation 5k on the 18th Feb. i must be mad. me and exercise???? we don't know each other :o i fear this could be a disaster. first session outside this afternoon, once i find my trainers.

quick question. could ye loverly people recommend somewhere i could go to be fitted for a daycent sports bra. i have quite a lot to manage and don't fancy it bouncing up and down, killing me, for 5k. cheers :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Apparently M&S and Arnotts do a good range of sports bras.. I think there's a thread in Fashion and Appearance where the 'Shock Absorber' is recommended.

Advertisement