Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The Women's Mini-Marathon is €18, iirc.

cool. only problem with that one is finding the 18euro to enter the thing :( gah. poorness. must look into, and see what charity to do for

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pastey

Hi Ladies, I'm new to TLL!
    I've just signed up for the Flora mini marathon too. Am I mad?
    Is there a thread just for the FMM? or can I feel free to post about it here?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Feel free to post about it here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 amanda7x

Hello ladies

Just letting all ye fit lassies know about an event we will running here in Borrisokane, Co. Tipperary. On Monday March 19th the local athletic club are holding a 10k road race, walk and fun run. This event will be suitable for anyone from beginners to established runners. Entry is 15 with refreshments afterwards. Should be a good day. We already have over 100 local walkers/fun runners signed up with lots of our women using it as a stepping stone for the mini marathon. Online entries can be done here:

http://www.runireland.com/events/borrisokane-10k

Race starts at 2pm.

We will be taking entries on the day. Registration will close at 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

hdowney wrote: »
    how much does the mini cost, and what is the process for registration? i was considering it for my next milestone, since it is 10k, double the OpTran one, and hoping to possibly jog a little of it.

Signing up for the OpTran was one of them blood rushes, I had just started in on the weightloss and thought it'd be good, til the night before when I panicked

Sorry, toddler had meltdown last night so had to log off pronto :( you can register online or via Evening Herald. I did it for first time last year (walked) and was great fun. Last year's mm inspired me to start running (mostly because so many women of all shapes kept running past me!!!) Anyway, I am bone idle so the terror of the impending races should kick me into running mode! Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Greetings all.... fairly new to Boards, and definitely new to The Ladies' Lounge!

Question for ye.... I've toyed with running for the last couple of years. Got myself up to 10K a few times, but never even got near running all of one (1.04 was my best time). I'm overweight, and have what was mild exercise-induced asthma, but now appears to be getting slowly worse (had first proper attack at the end of a 10K last year, frightened the bejaysus out of me!). I've started back right at the beginning of C25K, and am now heading into week 5, and it's all going ok so far.

Thing is, I'd love to find a club, or some sort of running company - running on my own is soul-destroying - I find myself the whole time figuring out when I can next stop, and wondering when it'll all be over. But yet when I run a race (I did the OT race in the park last weekend) I could keep going for ever (well, for a lot longer anyhow). But.... I struggle to run for extended periods, and even at that it's a shuffle not a whole lot faster than a fast walk.

Do clubs have remedial sections into which I might fit? Or are there any groups of complete amateur, non-greyhound runners out there who might welcome another to their numbers?

ETA - meant to say, I've signed up for a half marathon in October, with a few other races along the way (FMM included) so I really need to get my act together!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Greetings all.... fairly new to Boards, and definitely new to The Ladies' Lounge!

Question for ye.... I've toyed with running for the last couple of years. Got myself up to 10K a few times, but never even got near running all of one (1.04 was my best time). I'm overweight, and have what was mild exercise-induced asthma, but now appears to be getting slowly worse (had first proper attack at the end of a 10K last year, frightened the bejaysus out of me!). I've started back right at the beginning of C25K, and am now heading into week 5, and it's all going ok so far.

Thing is, I'd love to find a club, or some sort of running company - running on my own is soul-destroying - I find myself the whole time figuring out when I can next stop, and wondering when it'll all be over. But yet when I run a race (I did the OT race in the park last weekend) I could keep going for ever (well, for a lot longer anyhow). But.... I struggle to run for extended periods, and even at that it's a shuffle not a whole lot faster than a fast walk.

Do clubs have remedial sections into which I might fit? Or are there any groups of complete amateur, non-greyhound runners out there who might welcome another to their numbers?

Hi Heidi ! Have you looked into Fit for Life running groups, if you google them you should find a lot of info. there seem to be many groups around the place and you can run at your own pace with a leader who'll do proper warm ups and warm downs. Good luck!

By the way, half marathon!??? Fair play to you!

Quite a few clubs have a "Fit4Life" section (the list is available on this page) - which sounds like it would be what you are looking for. Also, there are quite a few Meet and Train groups around at the moment for the Women's Mini-Marathon (details would be on their site).

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Hi Heidi ! Have you looked into Fit for Life running groups, if you google them you should find a lot of info. there seem to be many groups around the place and you can run at your own pace with a leader who'll do proper warm ups and warm downs. Good luck!

Thanks for that, I'll look into those.
    By the way, half marathon!??? Fair play to you!

Thanks! Not sure that I'm not completely bonkers, but sure it's something to aim for.....
    Quite a few clubs have a "Fit4Life" section (the list is available on this page) - which sounds like it would be what you are looking for. Also, there are quite a few Meet and Train groups around at the moment for the Women's Mini-Marathon (details would be on their site).

Again, thanks for the info, will follow it up.

• Advertisement

Cheers again guys, got in touch with Donore Harriers and will see about heading out with them for a trial some evening.

Gulp :eek: - very intimidating thought!!!

Good luck Heidi Heidi! Hope you find it a positive experience! I am a nervous wreck about my 4k tomorrow. At least it means I'll put in a bit of exercise!!!!

I know that you're all dying to know how I got on :p let's just say I survived it. Actually ended up doing the 8k race as it started earlier and I was freezing! I was totally intimidated by the fit and healthy looking young uns who seemed to be all around me, however I just tried to focus on the fact that I'm not getting any younger and the sun was shining so why not go for it. I managed 8k in under an hour, have never run that long without stopping so am absolutely delighted. The Urban Trail was an experience, muddy, grassy and had to step/jump over logs every now and then. The marshals were good, other runners were supportive [except the young fella who shouted at us as he sprinted, yes sprinted past] to get out of his way. The race scenario definitely made me try harder, fear of coming last is a great motivator :pac: Have put my name down for the next Trail run in Raheny.... If I recover in time!!!! How is everyone else going?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Congrats NCONTHEMC. It must feel great to have completed double the distance that you were nervous about. Well done!:D

I'm out for the foreseeable. My GP has banned me from doing any exercise other than gentle walks as I found out yesterday that I am pregnant. Even without the 'ban' I'm not sure I could exercise much even if I wanted to. After a challenging but invigorating first day of wk 3 I did the second day 2 days later and I seriously struggled to complete it. I barely got off the floor after my push-ups, (which I normally did immediately after my jog) only to have to kneel down in the shower because I couldn't stand. And instead of feeling the 'high' of exercising for the rest of the day, I lay on the couch and could barely move with exhaustion. Hoping it was an anomaly I did it again 2 days later and was just as bad exhaustion wise, with the added bonus of being in a foul mood for the rest of the day and night.

The main reason I tested yesterday was because I had a suspicion the exhaustion might be caused by pregnancy (I've been trying to conceive for over a year) and was a bit worried about continuing if I was. When I found out I came up with a plan to drop back to wk 2 for the rest of the first trimester but my doctor said no way. He doesn't even want me running for a bus.:( (I've miscarried before and had endometriosis removed from my right ovary in January so have to be extra cautious.)

So as much as I really did love learning to run and build stamina, I really, really hope that it will be a long time before I'm back. Say maybe in November.:)

Best of luck to the rest of you runners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

iguana wrote: »
    Congrats NCONTHEMC. It must feel great to have completed double the distance that you were nervous about. Well done!:D

I'm out for the foreseeable. My GP has banned me from doing any exercise other than gentle walks as I found out yesterday that I am pregnant. Even without the 'ban' I'm not sure I could exercise much even if I wanted to. After a challenging but invigorating first day of wk 3 I did the second day 2 days later and I seriously struggled to complete it. I barely got off the floor after my push-ups, (which I normally did immediately after my jog) only to have to kneel down in the shower because I couldn't stand. And instead of feeling the 'high' of exercising for the rest of the day, I lay on the couch and could barely move with exhaustion. Hoping it was an anomaly I did it again 2 days later and was just as bad exhaustion wise, with the added bonus of being in a foul mood for the rest of the day and night.

The main reason I tested yesterday was because I had a suspicion the exhaustion might be caused by pregnancy (I've been trying to conceive for over a year) and was a bit worried about continuing if I was. When I found out I came up with a plan to drop back to wk 2 for the rest of the first trimester but my doctor said no way. He doesn't even want me running for a bus.:( (I've miscarried before and had endometriosis removed from my right ovary in January so have to be extra cautious.)

So as much as I really did love learning to run and build stamina, I really, really hope that it will be a long time before I'm back. Say maybe in November.:)

Hey! Congratulations lady!!

Wow! That's the best reason EVER to retire from running. Many congratulations to you! Take it easy !!!!

iguana wrote: »
    Congratulations and best of luck with the pregnancy, that's fantastic news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Iguana, congratulations, thats brilliant news :)

Following me torturing my own legs last Sat with an unscheduled 8k, have done a bit of Pilates to stretch the muscles and did a fit for life run class on Wed morn. Aim to run tomorrow to keep things moving. Is anyone else running regularly or even regularly-ish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I just popped on to get some inspiration because I want to start couch to 5k soon - and then I saw iguana's post :) Many congratulations :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

elbee wrote: »
    I just popped on to get some inspiration because I want to start couch to 5k soon - and then I saw iguana's post :) Many congratulations :D

Thanks. Hope the running goes as well for you as the writing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Hi there all, I've started this before but then got distracted... Running is to be my new "free" exercise!

I've been doing the first couple of runs sporadically- what would ye think of hopping to wk 4 and dedicating some proper time to it? Think it could do me no harm to push myself a bit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 elizabethmary

Hi all, Ive had the app for over a year now and TRIED to start it today. I am overweight with a BMI over 34 so know I need to act on it. I do l9ike walking but find it difficult on work days to get out for a walk. I have been sitting at a computer non stop for about 6 days and this morning knew I had to get out. Why I decided to start C25K I dont know. So walked to top of road (its a hill) then did the 5 minute warm up, first jog, second jog, third jog...and that was it:eek: I was done a couldnt run any further. I did continue walking so ended uop doing a 40min walk with 3 minutes of jogging.
    Im wondering how many times it will take to actually finish day one. Anyone else this bad when they started.

There's nothing wrong with taking more time with it - the important thing is that you're getting out and being active. Maybe try and work up to week 1 day 1 by adding the running intervals one at a time? You did 3 of them today, maybe do 4 of them the next time you go out? Gradually build up and you will be fine.

Thanks, I think I'll go for a quick pace walk tomorrow and the Saturday do c25K again but maybe try every second jog sequence, that will give a longer recovery time and maybe be able to do a few more. Have a headache now.

Hi ElizabethMary, I think you should ease your way in to the programme too. You might risk injury should you push yourself too hard. It's a good idea to repeat few bits on the way, I did that and gave me a lot more confidence in my ability. Hope the programme helps you to keep going, I found it great! Best of luck!:D

Had physio this week so eased up on the running. Did 3k this morn to keep my momentum. Was lovely morn, glad I got out and got some head space. have exercises to do for dodgy hip flexors so am hoping I'll strengthen up if keep on top of exercises. Anyone else getting out? weather is improving so am assuming you are all too busy exercising to be posting on here?!:P

Well I havent got back to it yet, busy busy busy at work. But I did go fopr a 2 hour walk on Sunday. Will try again on Wednesday.

How did you get on ElizabethMary? Anyone doing any running ? Hello?:confused:

• Advertisement

How did you get on ElizabethMary? Anyone doing any running ? Hello?:confused:

Was racing this morning at the MSB 5k in Dublin city centre :) New 5k PB but a little annoyed not to have gone slightly faster.

Advertisement