Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Chibodee

Completed W1D2 this morning! My legs are killing me though - I have aches everytime I move! Now this is the first exercise I've done in ages so maybe it's normal! Don't know at this rate if I'll even be able to complete even Week 2!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Im thinking of starting this plan when I move to dublin next week for college since the roads where I'll be living (rathmines) will be well lit up. Would it be safe to go jogging on the streetpaths? sorry if this sounds idiotic but im from the backarse of longford where streetlights are a rarity and all us country girls hear is how dangerous the big bad city is :P I would be running at around 8 since I have college until 6, would it be safe?

I have always found it safe and I was up near DCU area i.e. sandwiched between Ballymun and Glasnevin. Never had anything major happen apart from having lots of abuse/ignorant comments shouted at me.

Wouldn't be able to comment on Rathmines but I would presume it'd be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Got the results of my latest xray this evening - my fracture has finally completely healed! I've a few more physio sessions to do and then hopefully I can go back running. *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Im thinking of starting this plan when I move to dublin next week for college since the roads where I'll be living (rathmines) will be well lit up. Would it be safe to go jogging on the streetpaths? sorry if this sounds idiotic but im from the backarse of longford where streetlights are a rarity and all us country girls hear is how dangerous the big bad city is :P I would be running at around 8 since I have college until 6, would it be safe?

Rathmines is a nice area. There would be a few people running around on the paths at that time I'd say. It's well lit so there is no need to worry! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Going to give the Bridge to 10K app a go later this week. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Going to give the Bridge to 10K app a go later this week. :)

Do you have a link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Went for a gentle 3k run yesterday and it felt SO GOOD!

Going to try for 4 or 5k later this week. I'm aiming to be back to 10k by mid or late October (depending on how the ol' foot likes it. :P)

Having a bit of trouble signing up for a 10k. Has anyone run one of the Nike "we run X city" races. Trying to sign up for Seoul, but it won't let me! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Angelandie wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that?

iTunes version and Android edition. Hopefully the links work, still new to smartphones.

Started today. 4 x 10 minute blocks. Found the end of the third and a good bit of the fourth a bit tough, but I had been slacking off from going out as often as before, might be why. Not sure how active I'll be in pursuing this as college is going to kick off soon, but I want to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

intouch44 wrote: »
    After a ridiculously long break having completed the program I have decided to put the runners back on and get out there, decided to start back at w4, gives me a while to psych myself up for the big 20 min run!!!

I'm sticking with it this time, gonna find a local 5k run, enter it and actually do it :o

Will post my progress in here, more as a self motivator than anything else!! (If I know someone is reading my progress it'll shame me into doing it I hope!!)

So here goes- W4 D1 Done and it was hard but I felt great after it :D

Haven't posted in ages!!! Was finding it really hard to get out 3 times a week with work and exercise classes 4 nights a week so I decided to do 3.5k runs twice a week instead (the goal is to increase this to 3/4 times) am enjoying it and will gradually up the distance when I get more time!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

Is anyone doing the Rathfarnham 5k on Sunday?

I was planning to do it, then changed my mind as I couldn't motivate myself to get out running this week. Then tonight I thought "what the hell" and decided to register.

The RunIreland website says that online entry closes at midnight tonight. However, when I tried to register at approx 10.30pm, there was a notice that submissions were closed. Really not impressed. :mad:

I don't intend to pay an extra €10 to enter on the day. Guess I'll hold out until the Simon Fun Run in October.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was supposed to have been doing it, but given that I've run once in the last two and a half weeks I think I'll be giving it a miss. :pac:

Was supposed to have been doing it, but given that I've run once in the last two and a half weeks I think I'll be giving it a miss. :pac:
    Oh dear. :p

I was all set last week. I ran 5k twice and was happy enough with my time, considering I hadn't been on a decent run in about a month (was just happy to be able to finish the 5k actually).

Was all set to go out Mon, Wed and Fri this week but it just didn't happen. I think it's the weather getting a bit colder - when I get home from work, I just want to close the curtains and curl up on the couch.

Just saw a notice on the website acknowledging a problem with registration today. Suppose I could go along anyway but I probably won't. Rathfarnham isn't exactly convenient for me... excuses excuses! :pac:

There are plenty of races around over the next while, keep an eye on the A/R/T Events forum :)

If the cold is an issue, run at lunchtime. It peaked at 17C today, no excuses!

If the cold is an issue, run at lunchtime. It peaked at 17C today, no excuses!
    Indian summer predicted for next week... Definitely no excuses then. :)

I'll believe it when I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Learn from my pain ladies; Don't ever do your first cross country 3k while high on Lemsip. :eek: Dear. God. After the first 500m I really thought I was going to die. After the first 1000m I really wanted to. However I'm living proof that sheer bloody mindedness can, in a crisis, be substituted for athletic ability. :)

paperclip2 wrote: »
    sheer bloody mindedness can, in a crisis, be substituted for athletic ability. :)
    This is so very true :pac::D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Learn from my pain ladies; Don't ever do your first cross country 3k while high on Lemsip. :eek: Dear. God. After the first 500m I really thought I was going to die. After the first 1000m I really wanted to. However I'm living proof that sheer bloody mindedness can, in a crisis, be substituted for athletic ability. :)

Did ya do the Dublin one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Did ya do the Dublin one?

No :) Credit Union cross country series race yesterday in Stradbally. The muck was mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Until today I hadn't run in about 4 weeks(combination of a new job and a bad cold). I was fairly disappointed by how much harder I found it today and I only covered just over 5km whereas before I was covering 9-10km. No more excuses, back to 3 times a week I go!

• Advertisement

Was given a lovely green running shirt in work today as I'm doing a 10k this weekend. I went out in it and it is lovely. Keeps me warm and cool! :)

Great run tonight. Kept saying SD you can have one of those cookies in the press if you run as far as this place. My god I just kept going. Now enjoying my cookie that I bribed myself with! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thinking of some longsleeve wicking* as I've some scars on my arms.

* Recommendations, yes or no?

Currently wear a shortsleeve one and a tracksuit top, for quite warm days I'd prefer to have just one top layer. Obviously with winter coming around the corner maybe it's a little pointless to think about longsleeve wicking.

Thinking of some longsleeve wicking* as I've some scars on my arms.

* Recommendations, yes or no?

Currently wear a shortsleeve one and a tracksuit top, for quite warm days I'd prefer to have just one top layer. Obviously with winter coming around the corner maybe it's a little pointless to think about longsleeve wicking.
    Definitely get one, they are very useful for "in-between" days which we seem to have quite a lot of here, and also as a base layer under a jacket on the coldest days.

Something like this (Adidas cut small, you may want to go up one size) or this would be good, there are quite a lot of different styles available though.

Does anyone here run along side swimming? I might take it up again, although I could end up liking swimming a lot and abandoning running. :/ It's around €350 to join the TCD gym.

Ran another 10k today. My second one, first abroad. I knocked about 10 mins off my last 10k time I think. Part of the run was down by the river where I run at night after work. Was delighted as I could gage how close I was on the run back.

Loads of people clapping, loads of water and gatorade and most importantly my reward! :)

5vb29v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ran another 10k today. My second one, first abroad. I knocked about 10 mins off my last 10k time I think. Part of the run was down by the river where I run at night after work. Was delighted as I could gage how close I was on the run back.

Loads of people clapping, loads of water and gatorade and most importantly my reward! :)

Ooh, congratulations! :)

Well now we know that if anyone boardsie says race ya, you'll kick their ass. :pac: Congrats.

Week 2, day 1 of B210K was the best run I've done in ages! :)

Congrats squeakyduck, you must be delighted :D

I really am. Took a few pictures in the stadium with the running track so I'll pop them up on the blog now in a few minutes! :)

Lovely atmosphere, traditional song and dance as we left the stadium and loads of people clapping I had a great time! :)

• Advertisement

I know this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string?' question, but to what extent can running affect your weight? That is, assuming you're not going mad with sweets/chocolate, etc. Maybe the scales is a bit wonky. I didn't take up running to lose weight, btw.

Advertisement