Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had no idea why she was going into theater either. The forceps were wheeled into the delivery room for me. I re-assessed my attempts at pushing when I saw them!!!

My baby didnt cry when she was born either. They called the pedatrition just to look over her. She was fine, but looking back on it I did expect a cry. She scored pretty high in the ASP whatever thing. Actually she didnt cry at all until she was 48 hrs old, then she brought the ward down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Much better idea dublinlady :)

Wmpdd3: 31st of Jan
    Dublinlady - 20th feb
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April
    Red freggle - 10th Jan
    Caprilicious - 19th April (bet it'll be a May baby though!)

I thought they were pushing straight to section when I seen them bringing the first girl to theatre and was really suprised at that - I didn't realise they bring you to theatre to use forceps.

They fairly yank on the forceps, don't they? :eek:

My heart stopped when her baby didn't cry, I would die at the thoughts of waiting those long few minutes to hear that first cry.
    Dublinlady - 20th feb
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April
    Red freggle - 10th Jan
    Caprilicious - 19th April

IvyTheTerrible - 19th February

I'm not watching any of those programmes. Trying not to get freaked out by scary labour stories, and I don't think getting visuals on people's births will help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I thought they were pushing straight to section when I seen them bringing the first girl to theatre and was really suprised at that - I didn't realise they bring you to theatre to use forceps.

They fairly yank on the forceps, don't they? :eek:

My heart stopped when her baby didn't cry, I would die at the thoughts of waiting those long few minutes to hear that first cry.

If you remember on the last series they had a lady who had a forceps delivery also, she was overweight, so was this lady. I think in certain circumstances they bring you to theatre to deliver with a forceps incase it doesn't work out, so they can just section you there and then, instead of having to be rushed off with a baby that may be in distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Dublinlady - 20th feb
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April
    Red freggle - 10th Jan

IvyTheTerrible - 19th February

I'm not watching any of those programmes. Trying not to get freaked out by scary labour stories, and I don't think getting visuals on people's births will help!

Quins5 10th January :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Just rearranged them in date order....

Quins5 10th Jan
    Red fraggle - 10th Jan
    MaxCharlie - 25th Jan
    Wmpdd3: 31st Jan

IvyTheTerrible - 19th Feb
    Dublinlady - 20th feb

Shuwaaah - 23rd April

Neyite - 12th May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

and me and me :D

Quins5 10th Jan
    Red fraggle - 10th Jan
    MaxCharlie - 25th Jan
    Wmpdd3: 31st Jan

Dublinlady - 20th feb

Staticdoor71 - 1st April (no I'm not joking :P)
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April

Neyite - 12th May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hey ladies - would ye mind telling me how often ye had gp/hosp visits from 33 weeks onwards? Just had a slight tantrum at the hosp and need to see if I'm being unreasonable or not!

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hey ladies - would ye mind telling me how often ye had gp/hosp visits from 33 weeks onwards? Just had a slight tantrum at the hosp and need to see if I'm being unreasonable or not!

Sorry can't help you, I'm in the french system!

Went to an antenatal class with the midwife today, and we did breathing techniques. My boyfriend came too. It was brilliant. She showed me what sort of breathing I should be doing during my contractions, and the techniques can be used 10 mins a day to relax. She showed me several different positions, one was lying on my side, I swear I could have fallen asleep right there on the couch! So reassured about the birth now.

Next class is next week on more breathing techniques and breastfeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i was 15+6 (hosp booking in and scan), 24(GP), 30 (hosp), 34(GP), 36(hosp), 38(GP), 39, 40, 41, 42 all hosp.. They don't need to see you too often unless you have other issues such as high blood pressure, gestational diabetes or something else that'd cause concern.. or being overdue.. ;) is that any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

cbyrd wrote: »

i was 15+6 (hosp booking in and scan), 24(GP), 30 (hosp), 34(GP), 36(hosp), 38(GP), 39, 40, 41, 42 all hosp.. They don't need to see you too often unless you have other issues such as high blood pressure, gestational diabetes or something else that'd cause concern.. or being overdue.. ;) is that any help?

That is helpful... I am being too fussy! I'm 33+4, was at hosp today, everything ok, they wanted 35+4 gp and then 37+ 4 hosp. I Thought that was too long before being back to hosp..., I lost one twin at 9 weeks and the thought of not getting properly checked again for a month freaked me out completely. They then changed me to 34+4 gp and 35+4 hosp.... I think I'm being unreasonable - I think I'll change gp to 35+4 and hosp to 36+4... A compromise. I think I just panicked about sonething going wrong... Is that the right thing to do do ya think? I mean there's nothing wrong at all now with this baby, right size, movement galore, everything! I think I over reacted... I'll be embarassed phoning them tom, but better that than waste their time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

How many weeks nowadays before gender can be determined. Thinking of booking a private scan to find out

No, I dont think you are being unreasonable. I am on my second, I often think I'm out there too often but really it just about right. I am often in and out in 2 minutes with the consultant's registar.

My sister has had a few issues, but still they were calling her out to see them as often as me (same hospital).

That's madness, she should be out there much more often. She has called the EPU a few times and they have been great, usually telling her to come straight out and telling her she was right to call.

You can always call the consultants secretary if you have any worries in between appointments. Or you can call the doctor and they can refer you to the hospital.

I have a friend who had major problems with her first pregnancy and is now in the hospital nearly every week with her second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Dublinlady if you're anxious about ringing the hospital, maybe you're as well leaving the appointments as they are? it might cause more fuss for them to change the dates again plus at least you'll get to see baby sooner (if they're scanning).
    I think you're right within reason to request more or else additional appointments where you feel the need. It would be worse to have concerns and regret not having spoken up about being seen to.

If they thought there was definitely no need to see you earlier, they would've told you I think (unless you're a scarey mamma when you're pregnant ;) )

Javagal according to this link 18-24 weeks you can find out sex.

Ivy you're probably right not to watch programmes like that now alright. I remember watching a birth on you tube (medical tutorial, not someone's home video :p) before I had my daughter and I was shook for a few days after it!
    I had to keep reminding myself that i wouldn't be down the business end of things at any point during the labour :D
    I don't mind the thoughts of it now, though I was lucky enough to have a fast birth (crossing fingers and toes for same this time!).

Wmpdd3, that's amazing that your daughter didn't cry for 48 hours :eek: my daughter didn't cry immediately and there was a flash of terror as in all the good films they give a good scream the minute they come out.
    They brought her straight over to me though and that calmed me (and set her off crying :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Quins5 - 10th Jan
    Red fraggle - 10th Jan
    MaxCharlie - 25th Jan
    Wmpdd3 - 31st Jan

Dublinlady - 20th feb

Ms2011 - 30th March

Staticdoor71 - 1st April (no I'm not joking tongue.gif)
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April

Neyite - 12th May

I have One Born Every Minute SKY+, just sitting down to watch it now and have burst into tears at the opening credits, doesn't bode well for the rest of the programme :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Feel like I'm somehow cheating, as due on Jan 27th, but baby will be making his/her entrance by c section on the 18th:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Quins5 - 10th Jan
    Red fraggle - 10th Jan
    MaxCharlie - 25th Jan
    Wmpdd3 - 31st Jan

Dublinlady - 20th feb

Ms2011 - 30th March

Staticdoor71 - 1st April (no I'm not joking tongue.gif)
    Cadyboo - 15th April
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April

Neyite - 12th May

• Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

Quins5 - 10th Jan
    Red fraggle - 10th Jan
    Setlikejelly - 15th Jan
    MaxCharlie - 25th Jan
    Wmpdd3 - 31st Jan

Dublinlady - 20th feb

Ms2011 - 30th March

Staticdoor71 - 1st April (no I'm not joking )
    Cadyboo - 15th April
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April

Neyite - 12th May

Wmpdd3, that's amazing that your daughter didn't cry for 48 hours my daughter didn't cry immediately and there was a flash of terror as in all the good films they give a good scream the minute they come out.
    They brought her straight over to me though and that calmed me (and set her off crying )

I was a bit freaked out when she didnt cry, she just went 'Ah, Ah'!! Seriously. They put her straight on the table with the lights and called the paedetrition, I sent my partner over to see what was going on. She was checked over and given back to me, they knew I was a bit freaked out so they showed me her scores to show everything else was fine. Same girl had her injections today without so much as a grimace. She's to lazy to cry!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was a bit freaked out when she didnt cry, she just went 'Ah, Ah'!! Seriously. They put her straight on the table with the lights and called the paedetrition, I sent my partner over to see what was going on. She was checked over and given back to me, they knew I was a bit freaked out so they showed me her scores to show everything else was fine. Same girl had her injections today without so much as a grimace. She's to lazy to cry!

Our little one has her 6 month vaccinations today- 3 separate injections, I feel so sorry for the little mite.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Got bored today so I packed my hospital bags, yes bags, I've split them into three separate bags to try to avoid having to hire a moving truck to bring everything I've packed :D:D:p
    The only things still to put in is the likes of snacks, water, phone charger etc. I will put those in until the last minute.
    I've clearly labelled each one for my OH so hopefully it's all fool proof but we'll what and see :)
    With the Domino Scheme ( and providing everything goes well) you get to go home after 12 hours so I'm sure I won't need everything I've packed but sure it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it to quote my mother :)

Antenetal Class are starting next week, things are starting to feel v.real now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Just to let you all know that my wife had out baby girl Emily at 20.55 on Thursday. She is 7lb 2 oz. And came 8 days early. She will give you all the details when she comes home tomorrow.

O and my sister gave birth by emergiance c-section at 16.30 on the same day. 11 days over due. Also a baby girl. 6lb 15 oz.

Congratulations Red Fraggle's husband! Hope mum and baby are both doing well, congrats also to your sister.
    So lovely having both babies so close in age :)

Ms2011 I packed mine at 30 weeks last time......here's the sad bit, I had a typed out checklist of what was included :o anal much? :p
    That's brill that you're on the domino scheme, I'm praying I'll be out of hospital asap this times, I got no sleep in hospital last time!

A good suggestion I read was to pack capri sun or similar, it gets roasting hot in the hospital at times and was great for during the night when you couldn't otherwise get a drink.
    Oooh itching to pack my bag now :D

Congrats Red Fraggle!! Great weight, lovely name.

Soooo:

Quins5 - 10th Jan
    Red fraggle - 10th Jan
    :D

Setlikejelly - 15th Jan
    MaxCharlie - 25th Jan
    Wmpdd3 - 31st Jan

Dublinlady - 20th feb

Ms2011 - 30th March

Staticdoor71 - 1st April
    Cadyboo - 15th April
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April

Neyite - 12th May

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Quins5 - 10th Jan
    Red fraggle - 10th Jan
    Setlikejelly - 15th Jan
    MaxCharlie - 25th Jan
    Wmpdd3 - 31st Jan

Dublinlady - 20th feb
    Pippington - 25th Feb

Ms2011 - 30th March

Staticdoor71 - 1st April (no I'm not joking )
    Cadyboo - 15th April
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April

Neyite - 12th May[/QUOTE]

Congratulations Red Fraggle's husband! Hope mum and baby are both doing well, congrats also to your sister.
    So lovely having both babies so close in age :)

Ms2011 I packed mine at 30 weeks last time......here's the sad bit, I had a typed out checklist of what was included :o anal much? :p
    That's brill that you're on the domino scheme, I'm praying I'll be out of hospital asap this times, I got no sleep in hospital last time!

A good suggestion I read was to pack capri sun or similar, it gets roasting hot in the hospital at times and was great for during the night when you couldn't otherwise get a drink.
    Oooh itching to pack my bag now :D

I'm very anal so! I compiled a list of things to get for the baby, based on the suggested list from the clinic, plus the thread on this forum...divided it by categories (labour ward bag, maternity bag, clothes, furniture, pharmacy etc). Ticked off things as I bought them. I now have everything bar a moses basket and button-down nighties for me for breastfeeding...I just have to pack my two hospital bags and I'm all set...

I know it sounds a bit much. But actually I need to do it, because I am naturally so incredibly disorganised, that if I don't force myself to make checklists and such, I end up forgetting everything, or buying things twice or the wrong things!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

its me!! im home with my little bundle of joy. cant believe she came early. bit of a shock but a lovely one. soooooo glad its over! i will post in the birth stories soon as i can. no pain relief and went from 5cm to 10 cm in an hour!!

hope everyone is doin well!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Wooohoooo! Congrats Redfraggle! You beat me! ;)

Im still here waiting patiently...

So happy for you and I look forward to hearing all about it. Enjoy your little bundle, Congrats to you both on your new family member :)

xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I have a quick question! Whenever the baby is in a spat of kicks im getting a sharp pain in my left side, just a flash of sever pain, kinda above my hip area...anybody have any ideas?

Red fraggle, great to hear you're home and doing well :)

Ivy the terrible, I'm glad we're not alone with our list making so :D I'm sad, I love lists and being all organised. Though you wouldn't think that if you could see the evident lack of house work that has gone on in this house this weekend :o

Pippington I get the same sometimes if baby is kicking one side more than another. Towards the end of my last pregnancy I was convinced I must be black and blue inside from all the kicking my little girl gave me :D

• Advertisement

pippington wrote: »
    I have a quick question! Whenever the baby is in a spat of kicks im getting a sharp pain in my left side, just a flash of sever pain, kinda above my hip area...anybody have any ideas?

I don't know what it is he is kicking, but i have been getting the same thing in the last week, except it's on the right hand side for me...

Advertisement