Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

hope all is well here tonight, and happy christmas to all the expectant mothers out there,

Told my Family today about the baby, they are over the moon 15 years since there was a baby in the family, also told fiancees parents durning the week they are also over the moon as this will be the 1st grandchild on there side.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ivy - this is the book I got my OH:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Expectant-Dads-Survival-Guide-Everything/dp/0091929792

sorry I didnt get to post it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Happy Christmas to all the mummies to be!!!!
    Hope ye having a lovely time! X

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Hi All, so i'm still baby-less! I started getting contractions on Dec 25th at about 2.30am. they were happening every 10 mins or so and I was sure that was the start of it, but they stopped again at 5.30, so I lost nearly a night's sleep for nothing! then I had a show, which is still going on. So things are progressing, but slowly! Hopefully it will all kick off in the next few days.
    How's everyone else doing? Hope ye had a good Christmas day and that Santa came!

Cottontail wrote: »
    Hi All, so i'm still baby-less! I started getting contractions on Dec 25th at about 2.30am. they were happening every 10 mins or so and I was sure that was the start of it, but they stopped again at 5.30, so I lost nearly a night's sleep for nothing! then I had a show, which is still going on. So things are progressing, but slowly! Hopefully it will all kick off in the next few days.
    How's everyone else doing? Hope ye had a good Christmas day and that Santa came!
    Oh cottontail that's fab news!!! You'll have your bundle of joy in your arms in no time!!! Hope the contractions aren't being too hard on ya, try and get any rest you can as over the next couple of days you'll be doing the biggest job of all - and meeting your child! So exciting !!

• Advertisement

thanks dublinlady! the contractions pretty much stopped at 5.30 yesterday morning, I've just been having the odd twinge since then but nothing significant. Our first little man woke up at 6.30 this morning but my lovely husband got up with him and let me go back to sleep, which I was very grateful for!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh, bet that was stressful. I'd probably be in the car when the bloody contractions would stop!!

Cant remember if you said you went over on your first?

Atleast you know things are in motion, get as much rest as possible, pay it forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Cottontail I hope things have moved forward for you & babs is on it's way.

Tigeress my thought are with you today also, can't wait to hear all the news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

thats great news! maybe it goin slow right now will mean shorter labour!! hope so. good luck with it all!!!

also thinkin of you tigeress.

its so exciting. im starting to get impatient now. every little twinge im thinkin oh is this it??? and im not due til jan 13th!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Hi ladies, just a quick update for you all as I prob won't be on for a few days! Thanks for all the well wishes btw :)
    I had to go into hospital yest as I thought my waters had broken but it turned out to be another fluid discharge.. Dot ask me cause I don't really understand it myself lol! They kept me in as I was in pain and as I was to be induced this morning anyways.. So at 9:30 I was taken to the labour ward and the Doc examined me and immediately decided on a section as my little man is in an akward position.. So I'm booked to go down to theatre at 3:30pm today.. To say I'm a nervous wreck is an understatement! My OH broke down about an hour ago as he's scared something will happen to one or both of us bless him.. I know we'll be fine though :) so that's where I am at the mo.. Just counting the minutes till I meet my little boy at long last! We've waited nearly 3 years for this day & I can't believe it's so close now :) keep your fingers crossed & I'll let ye all know how I get on tomorrow or the day after!

Hope things move for Cottontail & Nicowa soon xx best of luck ladies :)

• Advertisement

Oh Tigeress!! I hope all went well for you!!! I hope you've met your little fella now and are making a speedy recovery!!!! All my thoughts are with ya and your family - x

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Hi girls. News update- little rebecca marie was born last night at half 9. She weighed 8 pounds 8 ounces. I'll let ye know how we got on when i get a chance.

nicowa wrote: »
    Hi girls. News update- little rebecca marie was born last night at half 9. She weighed 8 pounds 8 ounces. I'll let ye know how we got on when i get a chance.

Congrats nicowa!!! Beautiful name!! Hope you all feeling well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

congrats to all the new mammys and daddys, brilliant news, hope ye are all well x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congratulations Nicowa, I hope mum and baby are doing well!!!

Tigeress, I hope at this stage you have your beautiful little boy in your arms & are well on your way to recovery :)

Cottontail I hope you have some news for us soon too :)

To all else, hope you had a lovely xmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Baby Nathan was born today @ 4:17pm weighing 9lb 11oz & is absolutely perfect :D he's just the most amazing baby ive ever seen & so very good already :D I'll update soon xxx

Massive Congrats Nicowa xx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Boardsies have been busy over the christmas.... congrats to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Congrats Nicowa & Tigeress! ye both picked great names! :) hope you recover quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Massive congrats Nicowa & Tigeress, 2 good sized babies and beautiful names x

Yay Tigeress, congrats to you and baby Nathan! Wow fine size baby is right. Hope mum and baby are doing well x :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! And congrats to Tigress, I was wondering how you were doing.

We're home now - I posted in the birth stories thread, I thought that would make it easier for future reference. And she was awake most of the night feeding (2nd night - hungry baby...) - my nipples are terribly sore but I'll continue cos I'm told they get better...

I'll keep an eye here to see how people get on but I'll be switching most of my attention to the newborns threads I think! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just read you story Nicowa, you had a pretty hard time of it with all the trips to hospital etc. Was the trace they did the thing they attach to the baby's head?

I was the same, the midwife was looking for much more vigorous pushing than I could manage, I was so pooped by then I was just appearing to push!! But when I realised what it was going to take I took the midwife's advice. This time I'm bringing my lucazade!!

How did you get on with establishing breastfeeding? Sounds like he is taking to it really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

congrats to all the new moms ( and dads) from myself and purplerock, seems to be quite a few over the last few days and welcome to parenthood and lots and lots of sleepless nights ;) . see you over in the newborns section :D:D

I'll be 33 weeks this weekend and having a funny tingling/ burning sensation just below my nipple on one boob on and off for the last few days, I'm not concerned its an infection as there's no swelling and it's not constantly hot but just wondering if anyone else experience this - wondering could it be the start of me going to leak some colostrum and if I should have breast pads at the ready? The veins are gone completely massive around both nipples also! Can anyone shed any light?!

Congrats Tigress!
    I have my own good news to add as well...my little boy, Dashiell, was born on 27th Dec and weighed in at 7lb 13oz. all went really well, no complications at all thankfully, just got out of the hosp this morning and adjusting to life with my 2 little men!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Just read you story Nicowa, you had a pretty hard time of it with all the trips to hospital etc. Was the trace they did the thing they attach to the baby's head?

I was the same, the midwife was looking for much more vigorous pushing than I could manage, I was so pooped by then I was just appearing to push!! But when I realised what it was going to take I took the midwife's advice. This time I'm bringing my lucazade!!

How did you get on with establishing breastfeeding? Sounds like he is taking to it really well.

They put a monitor on my tummy and it picked up the heartbeat from there. When I was about 5cm they asked could they attach to the baby's head, but I wasn't worried about they baby being in distress it was just the monitor kept slipping while I was moving so they wanted to do something to get around that. And they're nervous enough when there's a slight change I didn't want to give them more ammo.

They were quick enough to put me on a drip, as I mentioned, and I was 9cm dilated. And I had dilated about 4cm in 3 hours so I wasn't exactly moving too slow at that stage.

I did ask about an hour before 3rd stage labour could I have come orange juice or a sugary drink cos I was getting quite tired and was at a stage of tiredness where I'm cold but feverish and shivering - which, again, worried them until I copped on and explained. But she wouldn't give it to me, she said to stick with the water. Which I didn't understand really. So do bring your own. I hadn't slept in 24 hours by that stage so I was fairly understandably tired.

I'm getting on grand with the breastfeeding - but I think it helps that I'd been exposed to it as a child when my mother fed, and continuously as a teen as my sister breastfed all her 5 children, so I wasn't nervous or uncomfortable about the idea. She fed for an hour on the first night after she was born, once in the middle of the night but only twice during the day. I was a little worried but the midwives said it was because she was still full of mucus - due to the short labour (under an hour) - and just not comfortable yet. She fed every hour and a half last night and every 2-3 hours today. It hurts like hell when she latches on and is slightly uncomfortable during, but I'm told that dies down (cross my fingers!). Only thing is, don't attempt to pull them off! The way it pulls the nipples is unbelievable! I'm lucky enough, once she's done on one side she just slips off - she hasn't started sucking just for comfort yet or anything.

Sorry about the long message!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

They put a monitor on my tummy and it picked up the heartbeat from there. When I was about 5cm they asked could they attach to the baby's head, but I wasn't worried about they baby being in distress it was just the monitor kept slipping while I was moving so they wanted to do something to get around that. And they're nervous enough when there's a slight change I didn't want to give them more ammo.

They were quick enough to put me on a drip, as I mentioned, and I was 9cm dilated. And I had dilated about 4cm in 3 hours so I wasn't exactly moving too slow at that stage.

I did ask about an hour before 3rd stage labour could I have come orange juice or a sugary drink cos I was getting quite tired and was at a stage of tiredness where I'm cold but feverish and shivering - which, again, worried them until I copped on and explained. But she wouldn't give it to me, she said to stick with the water. Which I didn't understand really. So do bring your own. I hadn't slept in 24 hours by that stage so I was fairly understandably tired.

I'm getting on grand with the breastfeeding - but I think it helps that I'd been exposed to it as a child when my mother fed, and continuously as a teen as my sister breastfed all her 5 children, so I wasn't nervous or uncomfortable about the idea. She fed for an hour on the first night after she was born, once in the middle of the night but only twice during the day. I was a little worried but the midwives said it was because she was still full of mucus - due to the short labour (under an hour) - and just not comfortable yet. She fed every hour and a half last night and every 2-3 hours today. It hurts like hell when she latches on and is slightly uncomfortable during, but I'm told that dies down (cross my fingers!). Only thing is, don't attempt to pull them off! The way it pulls the nipples is unbelievable! I'm lucky enough, once she's done on one side she just slips off - she hasn't started sucking just for comfort yet or anything.

congrats. hope your settling in nicely. im taking some notes!! i wouldnt have thought not to tell them to do something but i think now at least it will be in my head (or my husbands) to ask why and is it really necessary. wonder why they were trying to give you everythin to hurry u along when u were doin fine yourself!!:confused:

hope the breastfeeding gets better. leaset u are sticking with it. im hopin to do the same. least i will know its normal to be in some pain! cant wait for my bundle to arrive.

congrats to all the new mammies and daddies!!

Congrats Tigress!
    I have my own good news to add as well...my little boy, Dashiell, was born on 27th Dec and weighed in at 7lb 13oz. all went really well, no complications at all thankfully, just got out of the hosp this morning and adjusting to life with my 2 little men!

Congratulations Cottontail!!! That's a beautiful name for him too, I've never heard it before. How is is big brother coping with the new arrival?

Must have a mooch over to the birth stories to catch up on how all went for you Nicowa. Brill to hear that breastfeeding has come so easy for you. I really hope it'll happen like that for me this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Breastfeeding should not be uncomfortable during feeding, I remember when feeding DD3 it was agony when she latched but once she got sucking it settled down completely. Are you sure the latch is ok? Has the PHN been? My PHN used to call every two days for the first 3 weeks and checked the latch for me a couple of times, she was great.

If anyone wants a nearly full tube of Lansinoh btw just PM me your address and you can have it, magic stuff!

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    If anyone wants a nearly full tube of Lansinoh btw just PM me your address and you can have it, magic stuff!

Weird question I know, but is there a knack to using that stuff, like do you have to heat it up first? I found it impossible to rub on as it was so thick, I found it more painful than anything.

Advertisement